Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Extreme disappointment

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 21, 2017

Just built a new house and was recommended to go with this system buy the plumber at the time (also the apricot rep in the area I later found out). Since instal the system has always had to use electric boost even after full day of sun.

I have had a different plumber come in and assess the instal and he made some changes however the system still failed to heat water anywhere near as expected.

I have a solar inverter app that provides me with minute by minute energy use and collection through my solar panels so I can see precisely when the
apricus boost kicks in and for how long as well as all other household power usage. My 400L system sucks 6 to 12 kilowatts of power per day even when sunny.

There are only 3 people in the house and we wash all clothes with cold water and the electric boost is set at the end of the day.

I have contacted Apricus 3 times over the past 8 months and have no call back or help with the matter.

The system cost me $5900 plus instal so needless to say I am furious that I have no customer service and high running costs.

I would highly recommend to avoid purchasing this system for the reasons I have mentioned. I am now looking at what further advise I can get to replace the system and report the matter to fair trading.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hi, I'm sorry that you are experiencing difficulty with your system. We'd like to help, so if you give us a call at 1300277428 or send an email through to warranty@apricus.com.au we will be able to look into your case today.

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jun 2013

Great customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2017

After 4 years owning this have had great hot water, only use the booster for probably 3 months of the year the rest have free heating. Owner great to deal with if any issues arise, very helpful. Would recommend this system to anyone looking to cut down on their power costs especially if you live in Queensland.

Merlbourne

• 5 comments
  • 1 question
  • 2 helpful votes

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Oct 2014

Vacuum Tube Failure

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 19, 2017

We have just had our tubes replaced as they were not functioning efficiently, I noticed some of the removed tubes had scale on them similar to annealed copper before quenching. As an engineer this tell me these were not transferring heat, the unit was only installed in late 2014 so I would expect much longer life from these. What is the anticipated lifespan and how long is the warranty for the new tubes?
I contacted Apricus just prior to Christmas and received a very positive and prompt response from Johann, the tubes arrived early new year a
nd were installed mid-January. Very happy with the service but concerned on the early failure some of the tubes which meant we had to depend on the electric booster to maintain temperature even on days of 25c. Since the tubes were replaced the system is functioning very efficiently, would like to receive a reply to my question on the anticipated longevity of the tubes>
Regards Ray George

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hi Ray. I think you are referring to the copper heat pipes that are located inside the glass evacuated tubes. Both the heat pipes and evacuated tubes have a life expectancy of over 15 years, and li... read more »

Thankyou for your reply so from this response I am assuming the new tubes will be under warranty for another 1o years. From an engineering perspective are you able to confirm my assumption that the... read more »

Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Yes the replacement heat pipes will carry the full 10 year warranty. It is normal for the heat pipes to become a black colour due to reaction with oxygen in the air that forms a thin oxidative lay... read more »

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Brilliant Product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2017

Over the past 10 years, I have had the pleasure of dealing with Apricus Solar Hot Water: first as a manager of retirement villages, and in more recent times, with the installation of an Apricus Solar Hot Water system in my home.
At all times, I have experienced nothing but the utmost professionalism both in the sales and the installation process.
As a Manager of a number of retirement villages, Apricus installed nearly 400 systems on four sites in Qld. The installation went without any major issues, and has proven to be a most reliable and ec
onomical solution for the seniors who live in the villages, who have over the past 8 years enjoyed significant savings in their electricity accounts due to the extreme efficiencies of the Apricus system. From a sales perspective, it has been a real bonus to be able to advise prospective residents that they will have their hot water produced by the sun!
The installations have been reliable and any warranties have been handled without any fuss or bother, without exception.
When my previous solar hot water system failed, Apricus provided a cost effective and efficient system within days of the order being made. The installation was completed using an Apricus recommended plumber, who married the new system to the old pipework in an extremely professional way. I am delighted with its performance and have piece of mind not only with the 10 year warranty on the Apricus system, but also a similar guarantee with the installation.
I have no hesitation in recommending the Apricus Solar How Water system to anyone interested in wanting a highly efficient, cost affordable alternative to many other systems on the market today.

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Mar 2009

Don't believe the system is working properly. Energy being used to boost is equivalent to the power

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2017

System requires 11 kilowatt of power per day to maintain hot water. It would appear not much heating is being provided by the panel . Tubes appear to have lost their shine. Don't believe we're getting any return on investment. If were not on off peak the cost to heat would be prohibitive

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Apr 2013

Lack of support, unsure if it's even working

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2017

Since installing in 2013 I have no idea if my Series 2000 is working or not. The installer just installed the Apricus and that's it. I called the installer for support but he refused to help because he was owed money by the Apricus support representative here in Hobart. I paid several thousand dollars for something that can't tell me if I've even had a single cent returned on this investment. My heating/hot water bill is $400 quarter.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Steve its Chris here the MD of Apricus. I have a rep in Hobart on Monday will email you my details so we can set up a site visit and explore the issue.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Sep 2012

Useless complicated expensive system

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2016

Don't buy one especially in the country. Had air lock, after air lock, after air lock and had to learn to clear them myself to save plumber service calls. The computer failed because it is located below the pump containing water which sprang a leak. The pump has failed as well. Had problems with the float valve. Has not saved enough in electricity costs to justify the huge purchase and installation costs and service calls. This morning (Friday) another problem. Rang Apricus who gave me the service agent number which I already know. He is unavailable. Rings back this afternoon after 5pm. Not going to happen this afternoon. And on a weekend? So no hot water for the weekend. A useless complicated expensive system

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Feb 2010

Take your business (& hard earned money) elsewhere.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2016

BE WARNED - DOWN THE LINE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT THEIR THING - I purchased my system in 2010 when solar feed-ins where going gangbusters and everyone was on the bandwagon. At the time I did solid research and found that the evac tube systems were top of the line, which meant big bucks too. I really wanted to get it right and Apricus seemed to be the real deal. I purchased my system from them, which included all components supplied by them, at considerable cost and had it installed by a plumber they recommended. Yes, the system worked really w ell and I was very happy.
Six years later, my fifteen year system failed. The tank, supplied by Apricus, rusted out in the base and sprang a leak. Of course it was out of warranty and Apricus' (Johanns) response was 'not our product, not our fault, not our problem' sorry, you're on your own. On top of this the pump had failed, and the controller - all parts supplied by Apricus as part of their system and all, conveniently for them, out of warranty.
Again from them - not our product, not our fault, not our problem.
After emailing and phoning to no satisfaction, I eventually emailed them a blast which I BCC'd the CEO into and said that I was prepared to take the matter to both the energy ombudsman and consumer affairs and lodge a formal grievance. This got a response of sorts. Basically it was a wordy disclaimer of any responsibility but they grudgingly offered me a replacement tank. And you can bet I took them up on it.
As of this post, I have now had to replace, at my own expense, the pump and the controller (about $500) and all the plumbing (over $700). If I'd had to replace the tank also, maybe $2000 all up, on a system I paid over $4000 for 6 years ago.
Apricus has been totally foul through this whole saga and have demonstrated a gross disregard for their past customers and some of the worst customer service I have ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

There are many comparative products out there in the marketplace, Reece, Thurman, Edson. Shop around and do your research fellow consumers. Many of the good posts on here are recent so of course the things being said are glowing - go back, check older posts, fully read the ones that don't say nice things....
A serious down-the-track problem is where a companies after-sales ethic is put to the test. Any company can sell you a product, but it's after the fact when they prove themselves - or not.
Apricus have got the NOT down pat.
Ps - I have given them a 1 star rating, but only because the system made me do it & I couldn't give them zero grrr

Townsville

• 1 answer

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Great system

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2016

I got a great deal $ wise and works magnificently, exactly what they said. One little issue but apcricus rep Shaun rang me and sorted problem , wrong flow valve (plumber), in 2 days. Great service and he said ring anytime if I had a problem!! That's great service and product

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Mick,
Great to hear your system is working well. Thanks so much for the positive feedback!

hobart

• 2 answers

Model: 250ltr Tank

Lowered costs

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 17, 2016

Our 22 tube 250lt system has been good for 9 years.
We had to get the controller changed just out of warranty of course but they gave us a discount on new one. I estimate that this system saves us about $300 a year on electricity.
I would get the 300L system next time as it would be more efficient when there is less sun.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Thanks Jules, appreciate the feedback.

Brisbane

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 4 helpful votes

Model: 315ltr Tank

APRICUS Regret Be warned

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2016

Their motto We offer best products boastfully claims " Your Partner for Life " but in fact they deliver much less.
NOTE THIS CAREFULLY before you commit to have their product on your roof. In June 2013 we believed their marketing spin, and purchased their solar system. This week we had to put their partnership boast with us, to the test. Their Everlast 2000 series stainless steel tank with the Apricus logo proudly stuck on its side sprung a small leak from the top sensor. Step1- Call warranty number Tuesday 7th June, where an answering
service says leave a message & we will get back to you. Step 2 -Wednesday 8th register an online and request for help. -No help so far,- Step 3 - 9th June call Warranty again, only get the same answering machine again. 3 days of water leak and yet to speak to APRICUS ! So we rang again & asked for sales instead, who had to put us through to Warranty "at last ". Spoke to "Jahow" who stated this reality. Everlast the tank manufacturer went into receivership - so there isn't any support to fix your tank, no spares no tanks we cant help you. (SO SAD TO BAD) But isn't the tank the major part of your systems longevity & reputation ?? NOPE not with warranty issues. Aha So that's why they don't bother to call back. So the inconvenient truth about their motto "PARTNERS FOR LIFE" "15 YEAR WARRANTY " actually means EXCEPT OF COURSE if our suppliers, component part manufactures go belly up ANYTIME or even the day after we install our wonderful APRICUS solar hot water system. I persisted, and suggested that the sensor port fitting was probably a normal 3/4 BSP plumbing fitting that is used in other tanks- even the ones you are now selling, and asked if he could help us with this fitting. So graciously he conceded to check their warehouse parts division and promised to ring me back next Tuesday 14th. I asked why 5 days later?? He has Friday tomorrow "off " Is he the only person in warranty section? Hmmm So he must also have Monday "off" or maybe the warehouse has that day "off" So with a flimsy hope by waiting 8 days after the leak started until the 14th we will see if " we will phone back I promise ", actually happens. APRICUS is still selling their package with Stainless Steel tanks similar to & compatible with their original solar collectors. So they are under obligation and have the technical capacity to give their loyal customers a replacement tank or fittings (different brand) under warranty to uphold their reputation and statutory obligations. Even if their original supplier ( Everlast ) went bust they obviously have in their warehouse large stocks of NEW substitute / replacement tanks and fittings etc that they ARE STILL SELLING ( different brand of course) but still compatible and capable to reinstate or fix older systems. Beware, it appears that atrocious support is their business plan. Is this the real deal - partner for life. you need? Peter

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hi Peter, Firstly I want to apologise about the delay in managing your hot water issues with the Everlast tank. More importantly, I also want to apologise for the apparent lack of immediate respo... read more »

In response, I express my total satisfaction that you personally intervened to resolve my water leak problem. Your response was terrific from the time you contacted me offering me your apology. You... read more »

Model: 315ltr Tank

Awesome product

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 30, 2016

I have had my Apricus 315L tank for 3.5 years. I run 100 percent on solar for 8.5 months of the year. The other 3.5 months I have between 30 to 60 degrees in the tank and normally between 40 to 50 degrees. I did not go with the cheapest quote. I went with somebody that took the time to explain everything and answer all my questions. I asked a lot of questions but it did not seem an issue. I will strongly recommend to all my friends and family.

Purchased at: Camberwell Electrics

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Thanks Extremely Happy for taking the time to share your feedback.

1 of 4 pages