Exemplary technical support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2017

We've had a week from hell with the website being hacked and the emails blocked. Australia online have gone above and beyond to try and help us get back on track and allow the business to function. Thanks so much for your help and support. It's wonderful to speak to a technical support person who talks my language not IT language as well.

Melbourne, Victoria

• 2 comments
  • 1 question

Verified Purchase Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Unprofessional.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2017

We tried to transfer to Aust.Online but were quite unsuccessful. I am really unimpressed by their lack of professionalism.
I called Ozonline to transfer my ISP from iiNet, after being with them for over 20 years. I spoke to [name removed], who was very friendly, courteous and helpful. He said that i would get a text & email confirmation of the transfer request, and that it could be anywhere between overnight to 5 business days to be transferred. All good. That was Friday 13th Jan.
On Tuesday 17th Jan, I got a text from them saying they couldn
't connect with ADSL2 because there were no ports available and they will connect as ADSL1 (that was expected). However, I thought that getting a text only was a bit odd, and I had not received any confirmation text and email. I was a bit unimpressed about that. I sent an email asking why I had not received the confirmation as promised and [name removed] replied saying that they will keep us updated with the status of our order. He totally missed responding to my question about the confirmation email.
Then on Fri 20th Jan, I got a text saying they "cannot transfer our ADSL service as it is a 'SSS' service. We have cancelled your order and refunded you in full."
What??!!?
Just a text?!
No explanation of what this means?! Do you know what a 'SSS' service is? I don't!
And what's with the "sorry, we don't want you" attitude of this?! No alternatives offered? No suggestions? Just a curt, cryptic text?!
This is so unprofessional!
I had expected to have received a confirmation email: nope, nothing.
I had expected to see some way of tracking our order: again nothing.
I had expected my question to be answered: again missed.
If they were unable to transfer my service I would have expected a reasonably detailed email explaining exactly why, what our options are and what Aust Online could offer us. Instead we got a short cryptic, unhelpful text!
I emailed them to ask for more detail about this and [name removed] just sent a a brief email saying what 'SSS' is. No offer of any alternative, no mention of what we could do.
[name removed], I presume you'll ready this. I am REALLY UNIMPRESSED and disappointed in your service, in your lack of professionalism. If my money is not good enough for you then forget it, I'll go to one of the other ISPs that are also ranked highly here and on forums such as Whirlpool.

Comments
Australia On Line Official

Hi Greg, I'm sorry our communication wasn't more descriptive. After an amount of to and fro placing orders through to Telstra it became apparent to us that the only option for supplying the service... read more »

Hmmph. Only now have you told us that the only option available was to cancel the existing iiNet service and doing a new connection. If you had advised us of this then we would have considered it, ... read more »

Adelaide

What a difference.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 23, 2017

Connection NBN to the Note
Set up without problems except former provider IINET would not release my old phone Number so had to wait for new number.
Speed usually a bit faster as before but sometimes slows right down.
Customer service till now excellent, quick, polite and professional.
Would not change to IINet if it was for free.

Melbourne

Good customer service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2017

I use their NBN. I am not sure about the speed, but i think it is okay. The best part is their customer service, the phone call will be answered in few seconds (really a human). I know my friends is using other provider and it takes around 7-10 minutes to answer the phone call

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Best service, best customer service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2017

Perth

• 9 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Best ISP in Australia, highly recommended, local tech support.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2016

Been with AOL (Australia on line) since I don't know when, maybe 10 years or more.
Started when 256 ADSL was available, have been progressively upgraded over the years without any prompting from me, presently we have ADSL2+ Line Speed 9.93 Mbps, Download Speed 1.24 MB/s and we're 3km from the exchange on an old Telstra copper wire service. We can watch/download 3 movies simultaneously, that's better than some who have NBN.
On the occasion when I have had to call them with tech issue most times it gets directly answered, rarely do we have 'wai
t music' and the tech is Australian, based in Melbourne and speaks English and they know what they are doing.
Never had any issues with billing.
Always try their best to resolve tech issues even when it's not their responsibility.
Once the Telstra tech broke one wire of my service (in the pit out the front) phone was out of action for 10 days but internet still worked, just slower.
If you sign up to any of their plans with a modem, the modem they send you will be preconfigured by their tech department, how easy is that?
Malcolm certainly made a poor decision when he sold his share in this company as they would have to be the best ISP in Australia.
Reliability 10/10
Account service 10/10
Tech support 10/10
What amazes me is this company hasn't got as big a following as what it deserves, you won't find a better ISP here in Australia.

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Fantastic service ,great ISP.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 18, 2016

Member with 'Australia Online' since 2001 , excellent ISP, great helpdesk, very helpful in transitioning from ADSL to NBN. . NBN themselves created hassle in connection but 'Australia online' were persistent to resolve error. 2 weeks transfer time because of the NBN group. High recommend 'Australia online'

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

AOL - Fine organisation to deal with.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2016

I had an NBN service connected in July 2016 but I ran into all sorts of problems caused by Telstra and Spintel when trying to transfer my phone number to Australia On Line (AOL). Telstra refused to transfer my phone number to Australia On Line (AOL) as Spintel had applied to transfer the number to them and Telstra refused to tell me who had blocked the transfer. After a lot of work over two months, including letters to the ombudsman,Telstra and Spintel, AOL resolved the issue.

The installation and set-up was very quick and straight forwar
d. I plugged in the modem as soon as it arrived and I was able to log onto the internet immediately.

I have had the service now for 3 weeks and I have had no problems. I opted for the basic 12/1 Mbps speed knowing that I can bump it up to a higher speed should I need to. I am getting on average 11 Mpbs and whilst this is a little slower than the ADSL broadband service I had before switching to the NBN, I find it sufficient for my needs.

I should point out that AOL staff are a pleasure to deal with.

• 3 helpful votes

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

Couldn't be happier, bye bye Telstra.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2016

Recently my Telstra contract expired and I decided to give Australia Online a try after reading many reviews on this website. The setup was easy and even the NBN part of the process went smoothly. My connection is fixed wireless at 25 mbps and I consistently achieve speeds of around 23 mbps dropping to 14 mpbs during peak times, which is to be expected. I also have a VOIP phone which has been trouble free. I have rung a couple of times and usually have Michael or William answer the phone after a wait of a 1 or 2 minutes. Great service - Thank you.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

• 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Very knowledgeable staff & always very helpful.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2016

Had my ADSL with Australia Online for several years. Have always found the technical help to be excellent. Even when it's been a problem with my router they have always walked me through it and got it up and running. The longest I've waited to get through on the phone is fifteen minutes and that's pretty rare. Also love that the company is Australian.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Surrey Hills

• 1 comment

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Problem since been fixed.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2016

Problem since seen fixed and still too many junk emails coming. I may switch to gmail very soon let's see.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 5 pages

I live in Wanneroo WA and have been informed that Optus has no lines available for my area. I need a phone line installed and a phone/internet bundle. which bundles from you are provided by Telstra ?

Peter asked on Aug 31, 2016

Hi Peter,
Optus don't service that exchange area at all.
We can connect you to broadband over the Telstra network though you'll need to connect a phone service with Telstra first.
We can then activate your broadband and we can also transfer their Telstra phone service over to us if you so desire.

Where am I?? Landline has just been activated via nbn, I keep receiving contradictory answers re my adsl2 being changed to nbn. Do I need anything new? my isp is pretty lax in assisting (time for a new ispi'd say). am totally confused, nbn/Telstra/t g can not/donot give me simple yes/no answers.

Confused asked on Jan 05, 2016

Hi,
If your home phone service has been transferred to the NBN then your old land line phone service, including your ADSL2, will be disconnected.
If you want to use WiFi with the NBN you'll need an NBN compatible Wifi router.
Regards

You will need to get an ISP to activate NBN Broadband.
Our own broadband and phone bundles start at $34.85 per month.

I live in Greenacre NSW 2190 and am looking for a better provider that IINET which is usually not working when we are at home. We are currently on ADSL2 + Home line. The only important one is the internet. Do you have coverage for this area?

ThelM asked on Jul 31, 2015

Answer this

We used to have optus network when I used to live in western Sydney though I think telstra is the best

See all 12 questions about Australia On Line