• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Bankwest only care about themselves and profit

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2016

Brisbane

• 4 helpful votes

Highly Recommend this-Anything to Avoid 28 Degrees MasterCard

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2016

I'm comparing my experiences with a previously held product ( being 28 Degrees MasterCard ).
I keep my overseas travel costs on a separate card to the one I use for my Australian life.
This is to protect/minimise fall out from needing to cancel cards due to fraud whilst overseas.
I always pay the full balance owing on an issued statement, at least two business days before the Due Date. Interest Rate % charges are therefore not a concern or factor when I select credit cards. Efficient customer service is one of the leading factors, plus I look for Fee-Free cards. The added attraction with this BankWest card is NO International Transaction/Foreign Currency fees for purchases.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

MelbournE

• 25 comments
  • 1 question
  • 8 answers
  • 43 helpful votes
Private message

BankWest is just a pain in the ares

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2015

Unprofessional dealings on the phone. Calls me on the phone from 'private number' and hung up on me a number of times without leaving a message. Not dealing with them ever again! Stay away please.

+ No Fee, 55 days interest fee period, quick access to customer care

- Interest fee is higher those who do not pay off in full can get affected.

Adelaide

• 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Awesome credit card for those who pay within the 55 days!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 27, 2015

Platinum version is the way to go, no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees (for international purchases, eBay, PC Steam account, etc.), free travel insurance (look into this one, have not used it yet), 55 days interest free.
Never paid a cent in 6 years for anything, I always pay it off via Bpay from my mortgage account 2 days before due date, fantastic!

Sydney

• 4 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

A very happy customer

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2015

I have been a very happy Bankwest customer for 3 years+, still using their home loan, transaction accounts, savings accounts, credit cards, direct debits, no complaint at all.
One thing I am different from others, I do NOT use phone banking, as human makes mistake. I use internet banking most of the time, and sometimes over the counter. I do not experience any problem at all. The staffs are friendly and efficient.
I find Bankwest internet banking setup is very neat, easy, and can't fault it, only Comm bank is on par. I would rather not use an
ymore Westpac internet banking. Citibank is ok.
The home loan officer was very efficient, helpful and on time, I didn't encounter any problem at all.
I have used many big four banks' products before, you name it. From my experience, all banks are the same, the main difference comes from the people, it's the staff that you're dealing with, and the staff do move from bank to bank.
Happy banking!

Brisbane

• 31 comments
  • 1 question
  • 47 answers
  • 131 helpful votes

No Fee, No Fuss

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2014

I joined Bankwest after my home loan finished and my Nab Visa was going to start charging an annual fee. I have had no problem with Bankwest, applying online was a breeze and everything so far is good.

The only downside is PayPass, I don't for the life of me know how someone thought less security was a good idea on credit cards. Paypass should be banned. My financial security is worth more than saving a few seconds at a register.

Bankwest (and all banks for that matter) should have the option to have cards without PayPass after all, the
customers make your money. Don't we count?

One more thing, showing the Bankwest processing date shown online is useless to customers, we don't care when YOU process it, please change it to the transaction date! It makes it hard to know what some transactions are when the shown date is 2-4 days after the transaction date.

-Deducted two stars for Paypass.

Edit: Two times in one year my card was compromised. Maybe it was bad luck but in all my years of banking, only Bankwest has had this happen. Hats off to the fraud department for catching it before I even knew about it. Well done.

• 8 helpful votes

Incompetence

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 20, 2013

Got a credit card from BW years ago before the new credit regulations came into effect. I had my credit limit increase many times however, there is one time which I through the same process, 2 payslips and letter from manager. After a month, rang them up, they told me they had sent a letter which declined my credit increase which I never had received. I asked them [censored word removed], nobody rang me or advise me in writing. They said, I should have got the letter. They told me to reapply in 3-6 months time. [censored word removed] anymore, applied for other banks credit card and got the product and service I originally expected.

+ Interest free days, low annual fee or zero depending on the type

- Incompetent, rude and lazy staff on the phone

• 112 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 09, 2012

This has been a very handy credit card to have as I have never once paid a fee with using it. I make sure that my balance is paid at the end of the month without fail. The credit card comes with no annual fees at all and you also benefit from a lengthy 55 day interest free period on anything you purchase. You do really need to ensure you are paying off your monthly balance though to ensure you do not get slugged with any fees.

+ A great credit card if you are diligent in paying off your monthly balance. A lengthy 55 day interest free period.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2011

+ You can have your savings account linked to the same card.

- It is one of the most ridiculous looking cards I have ever seen in my life. (the picture on this site is not the new card http://www.bankwest.com.au/noannualfeecreditcard/Images/Backgrounds/zero-classic.jpg)
My original card was plain black but since that stopped working they sent me a new one which looks like it was taken from the set of 'Johnson and Friends' or Play-school. It's actually so outlandish that I have to admit I'm a little embarrassed to pay for things with it. I doubt marketing thought about what kind of image its gives BW with people walking around with a card that looks like a still-image of a young child's vomit. Even my gay house mate thinks it looks like a 'registered clown' identification card. I have called bankwest and asked if there was an alternative such as my original card. They said I would have to change my card type.

Piara Waters, WA

• 18 comments
  • 4 questions
  • 15 answers
  • 183 helpful votes
Private message

Get my name right fellas.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2011

I cant put down bankwest for the look of the card afterall in the end is annual fee free which I love it than having to pay some stupid amount of $46.00 from some banks for a card I hardly even use. However, I am having issue with them getting my name right on the card. First of all, the name of my mastercard was different from my bank card which I dont understand why. After sorting it out on both cards what is the name I want to put on they sent me a corrected bank card with the name I prefered and a wrongly named card. I have reported it back , and since I was the secondary holder I didnt have permit to change my own name. Having getting my partner down to varify my name, I was still given the wrong name on the card for the 4TH time! I had to go down personally and showed them all the wasted plastic, and they questioned me "Does the name actually being important?" Honestly, that wasnt spot on, I replied "This isnt the name I often used in my passport, my driving license or at work so yeah it does matter, it is my name. 5th time lucky? I am still waiting.

+ is free annual fee

- careless in handling potential good customers.

1 of 2 pages

How long did it take from application to receiving the card?

Row asked on Feb 08, 2017

Hi, am overseas at present and using the BankWest premium credi card platinum. Every time I us it I am asked if I want to make the charge in euro or ayes dollars. What should I do? Does it matter? Thanks. Roger

Roger s asked on May 10, 2016

Answer this

Hi Roger

I believe it will not matter. Whilst you are overseas, the credit card will take the country's currency for your transactions and it will automatically do the conversion rate to AUD for that particular day and that will reflect on your bill.

I was in India last year. I did my normal shopping with my credit card and all transactions were done in Indian Rupees (INR). Bankwest converted INR to AUD for that particular day and that was seen on my iphone app and the bill. Let me tell you what, it was SPOT ON!! Finally, I was happy, shopping was happy and Bankwest was happy!

Hope I have helped you atleast a bit.

Mathews

Hello Roger.
You should always accept the charge in the local currency where you are, as the retailers (shop, restaurant, etc.) own financial institution, may charge you a foreign transaction fee for paying with Aussie dollars.
BankWest do not charge foreign transaction fees at all, they use the international currency exchange rate applicable at the time of the transaction.
So when in Europe, pay with Euros and enjoy no fees.
Cheers.......Robert.

I have a new bankwest zero gold card which I got for overseas travel. I already have purchased my ticket (not with this card) however if I use it to pay for car rental in England but pay here and it costs over $500 am I eligible for the free travel insurance. That is the only reason I got it and actually wanted the platinum card and somehow seemed to be downgraded to the gold card. I may or may not use the card overseas does this matter?

izzy asked on Mar 01, 2016

Answer this

The International Travel Insurance policy is available to Bankwest World MasterCard, Platinum MasterCard and Gold MasterCard cardholders. The cardholder’s spouse and/ or dependent children also become eligible for this travel insurance policy when they meet the eligibility requirements outlined below:

Step 1. Purchase a return overseas travel ticket before leaving Australia

Step 2. Spend at least A$500 of your prepaid travel costs (includes cost of return overseas travel ticket and/ or airport departure taxes; and/ or prepaid overseas accommodation/ travel; and/ or prepaid overseas itinerary items) by one or a combination of the following methods

Step 3. Charge at least A$500 of your prepaid travel costs to your eligible credit card account and/ or; redeeming your Bankwest More Rewards points; and/ or paying with redeemable travel agency flight vouchers obtained by converting your Bankwest More Rewards points.

Product Details