This product has been discontinued by Billion.

Bunbury

• 4 comments
  • 1 question
  • 3 answers
  • 11 helpful votes
Private message

Perfect for those a long way from exchange or on bad copper lines

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2015

This modem is the best I've ever used. The Broadcom chipset in the modem provides faster and more stable sync speeds than any other modem I've used. The SNR tweak is not totally strait forward for the non tech minded but has increased out connection speed from 3mb to about 4.5mb while still being stable. I've had ours for several years now and haven't had any wifi issues that others have encountered, but if I did I'd happily buy another billion with Broadcom chipset.

Purchased at: Warcom

• 2 answers

Great till it died.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2014

This was a fast reliable and 'always up' modem Router that handled our eclectic mix of windows/Mac devices and network drives/printers. I was very happy with its performance for about two and half years.

Then is started being odd. The printer would go offline for days at a time. iPads wouldn't connect to the wifi anymore (only iPads - everything else worked fine), and our NAS slowed down. It would seem it had succumbed to the glue sniffing issue these routers are becoming infamous for. I replaced it with a shiny new D-Link 2890AL/LE - wo
w, all the problems vanished, and even with a supposedly slower link the internet connection seems faster!

Ah my trusty 7800N, you were good in your day but I'd rather have replaced you for better specs than a design flaw that made you die not long out of warranty. Shame on you Billion and I have changed brands because of this.

That said - if you need a 300N modem router for 2 years this really does run well.

+ Stable, configurable, great in it's day.

- Design flaw kills it just outside of warranty

Brisbane

• 5 helpful votes
Private message

Went well until the WIFI burns out

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 27, 2014

I was very happy with this router until the WIFI burnt out on it, after some research it is quite a common problem with this model. Prior to this it worked well though and was my favourite router, after having been through a few in the past that just didn't perform very well with a number of people using it. I wouldn't recommend it though a router should outlive its usefulness not burn out..

+ firmware features

- longevity

• 5 answers
  • 5 helpful votes
Private message

Set and forget - just the way you want it - ability to attach external antenna

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2013

I wanted a robust modem with removable antennas as I have the modem in the garage in a box and this weakens the signal strength. So chose this one after reading many reviews etc. It did not disappoint. Actually I set it up with an external antenna and now have full signal strength and have forgotten about it and have not had to visit it the garage - which is exactly what you want.

+ Robust i.e. does not need attention. Removable antenna to allow fit of external antenna

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Darwin, NT

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Excellent for a normal home wifi

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2013

+ With 3 kids screaming around the house - it took me about 20 minutes from the box to full use

- The design - A bit too clunky - but who cares.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I thought I will give an update. I am now connected to the NBN (FTTH) with Telstra (Since April 2014) and use this as a router rather than an ADSL modem and just had to change from ADSL to EWAN and... read more »

• 2 comments
  • 33 helpful votes

The service was great and the goods got to me in 48 hours

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2012

When i had Open network 824RLW, i had been great modem
But after 5 year, it was starting to slow down
i went out and got NB6plus4w to replace it
As open network had closed down
But after read on here, that Billion made open network 824RLW
So i order a Billion BiPAC 7800N to replace the NB6plus4w

The best modem i have ever own, i dont have problem like my last modem
Which was a netcomm NB6plus4w. I any one going to buy modem look at the Billion BiPAC 7800N - (802.11n
I got sick of drop outs and trying to port forwarding the modem for games. I find this modem connection much quicker. I have find my net speed to be much better

• 10 helpful votes

Impressed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2012

After having a total hardware failure of a TP LINK modem/router after 18 months, I searched long and hard on options available in the market. I am not experienced in networking, so am interested in plug and play type systems that are simple and can do most of the networking I need.

I have a tab, smartphone, PS3; so I needed a good modem that gave great all-round speed and is reliable and easy to set up. Plugging in the device, and opening the webpage to log in, I found it fairly easy going through the easy/quick set up. I needed my ISP mode
m settings, but once I gained those the setup was fairly easy.

The modem reboot when changing settings is a little slow, however, the results are outstanding. I have had the modem/router for a week and have not had any issue. Throughput from my network devices seems to be excellent throughout the entire house.

I must admit that I too had an old TP LINK ADSL modem, which consistently hung, causing much frustration. This modem/router has had no such issues.

Cannot rate this modem router any higher, big thumbs up!

+ Easy setup, great wifi speed.

- It is a little on the big side

• 33 helpful votes

A rock solid adsl 2+ modem router

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2012

Simple to set up and configure
Wireless range and connection is fast and stable
Ability to tweak SNR ratios to optimize line speeds
Comes with Firewall
Basic and Advanced configurations for beginners and experts
Excellent for TPG Internet.

Overall, this is one of the best modems I've had.
Before purchasing this modem, I ha=d considered the Netgear DGN3700 for the dual band, however I've heard that it has firmware stability issues.
Based on the popularity and reviews on Umart.com, I chose this one.

+ Beast, Solid, Powerful, WiFi works well through multiple walls and 1 level down

- one of the ugliest looking modems out there

Purchased at: Umart Online

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

Very good, but there is a known flaw with wireless hardware.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2012

+ Loved it when it worked.

- Now it's just a spare technology sitting in the cupboard. For near top price product, components not really top notch.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I had the same or similar problem with the WiFi - if there was a power failure, the WiFi would not work; had to power off and leave off for 12 hours and then it would come up OK.

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

Finally - a decent modem/router combo that just works

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2012

I've owned several routers over the years- a Dlink DSL-G604T (OK) a Linkysys WaG54g-V2 (good) and a Linkysys WAG120n(very bad). The Billion replaced the latter and has been up and installed for nearly 3 months. I have never rebooted it yet. That says it all. Strong N wireless that works (unlike the last Linksys), gigabit lan speeds, complex but intuitive interface and it doesn't get too hot like many. Want a proper solution for Home- this is it.

+ Just works as advertised

- Its not pretty!

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 review
  • 7 helpful votes

Outstanding Modem/Router

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2012

The Billion BiPac 7800N is an amazing router. It has the capabilities to download at high speed over wireless and through an Ethernet connection.
Even with 4 mobile phones, 3 Laptops, one XBOX 360 and a desktop computer all running simultaneously, the speeds remained constant better yet, the wireless range is absolutely amazing, managing to maintain a strong signal throughout the entire house.

+ Great Value for money, Great wireless coverage, Great download speeds, WPS for beginners

Melbourne, Vic

• 32 comments
  • 1 question
  • 52 answers
  • 221 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2012

The 7800n just works. It has good performance. The web interface is not as friendly as netgear, and has some curious omissions. You can control access by mac address, but you cannot assign a logical name to them - so if you don't know what is what, you don't - written by a techie. On balance, all the basics just worked and the other reviewers have it right. It fits between basic and high end products in price, reflects basic features, but absolutely works a charm and with the best of them. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

+ Good performance, good wireless range. easy basic setup including auto config to the ISP

- advanced setup presumes you know someting about networking.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Yup, you need to know more than average user to consider advance.

1 of 2 pages

Is this unit NBN compatible??

AndreP asked on Jan 23, 2017

Answer this

I only use it for ADSL so can't be sure but read the link above to learn a bit more.

Hope that helps.

It wouldn't be fast enough for NBN speeds. Get a nice AC router for better performance but even then your not utilising NBN to the fullest. A nice network cable would be best but who wants to be tied down these days? Really as good as this modem was (for 2 years) it is very old now - I'd look for a modern alternative.

I use it as a router behind the NBN modem. The EWAN port is max 100MB/s speed while the NBN is meant to be a minimum of 100 MB/s speed. Short answer - it works.

My Billion BiPac 7404VNPX has ceased working. I have 3 lights registering on the front - power, DSL and internet. The internet function and wireless function from the internet have ceased working. Is it in need of a firmware update or after three years has the wireless function just died completely. I had no troubles with it before and turned it on after a month away. It does not work with the Ethernet cable connected. Others suggest that this is an issue with Billion modems after a few years they just die.

Steve R. asked on Oct 01, 2015

Answer this

I have not had any issues with my Billion so far nor have I needed a firmware update. Sorry I can't offer more assistance but I would not know what is wrong with yours.

It sounds like the glue issue to me. Unless you've played with the firmware needing an update wouldn't stop it. If its 3 years old grab yourself a modern replacement with AC WiFi and live for the (relative) speed. Sometimes it is better to move on. Good luck.

How to set up the pin number or security?

Emily asked on Dec 29, 2011

Answer this

Hi Emily, Those are two different questions. The 7800 should have presented an auto configuration sequence when you first turned it on and connected to it from your web browser per the manual. I assume you have the manual?

The admin password is set in configuration->user management. The defaults are in the manual as are the steps to set up the wi-fi security features (mac control, WEP, WPK, WAP, etc). I could not even provide you a useful hint to the breadth of "setting up security" in this reply box. If you have trouble understanding the manual you will need to find a tech savvy friend, but if you have a specific question I can try to help.

See all 4 questions about Billion BiPAC 7800N