Review rating:

Perfect Reception Deep in the side of a hill in a dugout.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2017

We have just moved to Coober Pedy in SA. We are living 6 km out in one of their famous dugouts. Phone reception outside 1 bar of 3G. Inside no service at all. We have 3 mobile devices loaded with data and could not use them. Installed a Blackhawk Yagi antenna at about 6 metres up and the Cel-Fi pro units inside and now we have full 5 bar 4G inside. Could not be happier.

Priestdale, Queensland

• 2 questions
  • 2 answers

Product Update

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2017

The Install
Installed the system around 3 months ago using a yagi external Antena connected to the base station using low loss coaxial cable.
The Telstra Tower is 5km away with tree coverage so mounted the Yagi as high as possible.
The Good
Massive improvement in the signal from 0 bars to 5 bars 3G can make and receive calls and data throughput is respectable but only at 3G speeds.
The Bad
The unit for no reason does not connect every call its normal for me to miss calls as they go directly to message bank I would say about 1 in 5 calls,
Calling out is fine, Also the range of the indoor unit is limited to around 15m.
Summary
The unit is expensive but I had zero coverage so it's a massive improvement but it's not perfect.

Update
The team from https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/ came to the site and installed a 5m mast and then aligned the antenna to get the strongest signal. The system now works perfect no dropped calls and 2-3 bars of 4G signal.
The techs advised me the new indoor unit is even better with optional indoor antennas to improve the range of the units which is fantastic if you have a big property.
Will do a product review when we eventually upgrade the indoor unit.

Expensive but worth it!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2016

Really expensive product, was really nervous about the investment, but definitely no regrets now I can use my phone everywhere in the house!

Super easy to set up, just plug in to the wall.

Suttontown (just out of Mount Gambier, SA)

• 1 review
  • 1 answer

The Perfect Answer to Fringe Service Areas

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2016

My residence is about 500 metres from the Regional City of Mount Gambier in South Australia. Internet and mobile phone connectivity has been poor, with regular drop out of the signal. 1 to 2 bars of 3G were common, dropping to 1 or 2 bars of 2G, with parts of the house having no reception at all. Telstra said that I was in a poor 3G/4G area and house construction plus location and distance from the nearest Telstra Antenna most likely would affect connectivity. The house is large, solid construction of limestone and brick with a color-bond roof .

I have put up with this poor connectivity and regular drop out of signal for several years, hoping for an improved signal upgrade, given Mount Gambier City boundary is just down the road and gets 4G reception in most places. From reading many reviews, my situation is very similar to residences in Regional Australia, unreliable connectivity and no planned upgrades in the foreseeable future. Also 2G will be no longer available towards the end of 2016, which was a worry to me, given my unreliable service.

In mid April 2016, I purchased a Cel-Fi Pro and can honestly say that I now have a reliable service and good connectivity for both mobile internet and mobile phone. Also, internet download speeds have improved which is welcomed. The purchase of the Cel-Fi Pro has meant most of the house has 4 bars of 3G and sometimes 1 to 3 bars of 4G. My mobile Internet 4G Advanced11 Modem is mostly 4 to 5 bars of 4G. I now am getting value for money spent on paying Telstra my monthly account! In addition, signal strength was such that I did not require an external antenna to be installed. At the moment, weather at home is drizzling with rain, cloudy and 16 degrees. In the middle of the house, my mobile phone has 4 bars of 3G whereas previously it would have been dropping out!

The Cel-Fi Pro is also very easy to install. Overall, very pleased and would recommend the Cel-Fi Pro 3G/4G(LTE) unit to any landowner in a fringe service area. Cost of Cel-Fi Pro may seem high, but once installed and you have a reliable connectivity, the cost becomes secondary to good reception.

WODONGA

• 1 review
  • 1 question

Perfect Enhancement for lousy Vodafone service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2016

The Cel-Fi has turned a completely dysfunctional Vodafone service into something quite workable. Started with no service or just one bar. After positioning the base unit in the optimum position for our location we now get 4 to 5 bars 4G inside our house. A bit pricey but worth it in the long run.

works perfectly!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2016

We have never had 4G till now an 3G was hard to get but thing of the past now! It was an easy 5 min set up process. 5 stars

Sydney

• 1 answer
  • 10 helpful votes

Immeadiate signal improvement

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2016

I purchased the Cel-Fi PRO Telstra Repeater from Powertec Telecommunications in January 2016. I previously had a one-bar Telstra signal, with sporadic coverage (i.e. quite often I'd be perched on the veranda taking/making calls). Ten minutes after unpacking and installing the Cel-Fi PRO, I was enjoying 3 or 4 bar coverage throughout around my property. No more call drop-out since installation. Yay!!!

The Cel-Fi PRO is expensive (given the device's underlying simplicity and technology); however, worth every cent given my home-office arrangements. I happily recommend this product.

BTW Telstra couldn't be bothered suggesting ways to improve my signal strength. No wonder I don't hold shares in that company!

Sydney, Australia

• 6 answers
  • 27 helpful votes

faster faster

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2015

So fantastic! Cel Fi Pro boosted all our mobile services including voice, SMS, MMS, Video Talk, Mobile Broadband. This unit has allowed us to have phone & internet with no complicated set up. It just works!! No more frustrations with tentative reception. So grateful that a friend recommended it. Worth the cost

All play and no work

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2015

Easy to install, good signal. I made time time to set this up and was surprised how easily it was to get a signal.
Telstra should advertise this more because it solved a lot of problems that were mostly unmanageable before hand - good reception good service yippee for me

Inner West Sydney

• 3 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

Simple, effective and very pleasing!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 29, 2015

From a fringe rural area, we went from patchy coverage at best of times - to usable voice and data service within minutes. Clear instructions, easy installation, and increased signal = one satisfied user. Thank you and highly recommend your unit. If only Telstra would more readily recommend such solutions -- we could have been happily calling and using data earlier.

Goodbye dropped calls

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2015

Working in the Data Centre industry means that a missed call because of poor reception can cause all sorts of trouble from access requests being missed to important phone calls from the boss not getting through. I was amazed and surprised and how well Cel-fi pro works. The base station was able to pick up 3 bars of reception when my phone only getting 2. Once I setup the remote station I was getting a whopping 5 bars on my site in an area that was under a slab of concrete. I highly recommend this product to any professional who needs to ensure their calls get through with the highest quality.

Verified Purchase

Life and work saver device. Highly recommended!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2015

We are located close to the Cobaw state Forrest which limits my use to the internet to take on after hour support calls, work from home or even check up on any bushfires that occour over summer. After many complaints to Telstra about the lack of service in the area and hoping for improvements, nothing was being done to resolve the matter. Instead, I was suggested by a workmate to purchase and test the Cel-Fi Pro. The end result was simply amazing and very satisfying to have better signal and coverage indoors that was previously non existent. Keep up the great work Cel-Fi. I would recommend everyone.to purchase this product if you experience Telco coverage issues

1 of 2 pages

I live in Eltham, an outer suburb of Melbourne. Inside my house the best reception that I can ever get is one bar on my iPhone 6. I am constantly getting missed calls even if I am sitting right next to the phone. However, after some research, I find that under my verandah, up high, but protected from the weather, I can get 2/3 bars of reception. Is the window unit sufficiently sealed/protected for me to use it outside the house under the verandah?

Jackzag asked on May 27, 2017

Answer this

I imagine it would be ok if out of the weather but would be more ideal with a small antenna leaving the 1st unit in a dry environment inside. Its is not a waterproof box. An outdoor antenna is a simple installation.

Hi, I am in Cairns and would like a Cel-Fi unit installed in my car and caravan. Is this possible and where in Cairns would I get it installed?

Graham asked on Apr 17, 2017

Answer this

Hi Graham - yes it is possible. We have a number of resellers in the area who should be able to assist you with install options; Telequip Pty Ltd 07 4031 3066, Miles Electronics 07 4033 7003, Austec Communications 0440 355 544. Make sure you come back and write a review. Regards Cel-Fi.

We are with a Optus carrier at the moment but as we get further up the Coast in our boat and out of Optus range we will need to switch to Telstra. Does this unit work on all carriers? Or is there a better unit for a boat that works on both carriers? Thanks Richard

Richy8888 asked on Apr 04, 2017

Answer this

Hi Richy888 - The units are locked to carriers, there are no units on the market that are multi-carrier. We always recommend you review your plans before you make a purchase so that the Cel-Fi you buy can be used by everyone. For a boat I would recommend the Cel-Fi GO for Telstra (currently only Telstra version available) - IP rated, up to 100dB and perfect for this application.

Hi Richard, my unit was specifically for Telstra. However, there are units that will do Optus and Vodafone if my memory serves me right as it was a year ago i did my research.
The units definitely work however you will need a yagi or suitable antenna if the signal is really poor and make sure its high enough to get above foliage if that's an issue.
One word of caution be careful where you buy the unit from the supplier I used in Brisbane is too busy to help you and never have techs available should you need onsite assistance.

Product Details