Question about cel-fi

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2017

We live in a rural area in Queensland 80ks from the closest town. We get full service coverage 12ks from the house and We get service now and then but not all the time in our house but will it still work?

Comments
Cel-Fi Official

Hi Flick. Cel-Fi needs one bar of signal to work. With the signal dropping in and out, you would need to purchase a lpda or yagi antenna to bring the signal in from outside and to get full optimisation. Hope that helps.

Don't bother

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2016

We purchased a Cel-Fi and it hasn't made any difference to our reception! We have tried placing it in several places around the house and there is no difference. Money down the drain!
We have also contacted the company to help us with the issue and it still doesn't work. I think it has been put in the too hard basket. We paid to have our unit sent back to have a service tech look at it and send it back still not working.
On a positive note. Dave in the customer service team was very nice to deal with.

Comments
Cel-Fi Official

Hi Estelle..... we find that when Cel-Fi does not work, there is always an environmental cause. This could be the setup, signal quality, interference or network behaviour due to the surroundings or... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

2 from 3 don't work

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2016

Purchased 3 units 12 months ago for farm houses and workshop, one works most of the time but still drops out for no reason and the other two barely work at all. For the price we are very disappointed. Apparently the new model is better but I'm a little reluctant to invest in them again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Glad i purchased it

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 29, 2016

I recently purchased a Cel fi after years of trying other products which didn't work . Cel Fi was easy to set up reasonably priced i couldn't be happier thank you Cel fi your product is awesome

Herbert

• 1 review
  • 1 answer
Private message

From zero/1 to 4 bars inside the house!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 22, 2016

Located in rural Darwin region. We were lucky to get one bar of 3G on the windowsill in the living area and lots of dropped calls. With the cel-fi unit and an external antenna we now have 3-4 bars through the house and even 4G at times, and no more drop out. Would highly recommend and although expensive it is nice to be able to communicate with the outside world without having to go outside. The only issue I have is that even though you can turn the light off on the unit it sometimes turns itself back on for some reason (I haven't experienced any call problems but I wonder if this is related to the connection between to two units). Glad I didn't wait too long to buy this unit as it is amazing.

Comments
Cel-Fi Official

Thanks Kat, thank you for the great review, glad it's working well. The LCD screen can come on if the wireless link between the units drop. Next time the LCD screen comes on check to see if there is a notification on the screen.

Brisbane

• 5 comments
  • 2 answers
Private message

Rubbish. If you want to buy one really cheap check on eBay as mine will be there tomorrow.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 16, 2016

Bought the most expensive 4G one I could including high gain aerial, downloaded the app, moved the primary and secondary device around the house, moved it it different houses, boats, changed between manual and auto aerial options via the app and no improvement on my current phone. All it does is use power and creates a light at night.

Comments
Cel-Fi Official

Hi Simon, sorry to hear you are having issues. Our tech support department is here to assist with any technical issues you have on 07 5577 0500. Our company is in the business of helping people and... read more »

Farm useless mobile connection until I found Cel-Fi

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 09, 2016

At our farm near Seymour we have never been able to take mobile calls unless we walked up the hill to the shearing shed. Now with Cel-Fi my family are all very happy as not only can we make mobile calls with full bars on our phone they can now access Facebook !!! Thank you Cel-Fi

Brisbane

• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

No significant improvement

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 27, 2016

We were assured this system would work. It doesn't. Randomly jumps from unit to cell tower it appears. Can't handle more than one phone. Waste of space. Powertech refused to pick unit up to see if it was faulty.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Cel-Fi Official

Hi Andrew - I understand our General Manager has spoken and emailed you to assist, on the back of our sending you a returns authority last year so we could correct your problem. We trust you can re... read more »

I returned the product for it to be checked. Have the unit back and it does make some improvement to the reception. We have quite a strong signal at the window unit. That also means that the phones... read more »

• 3 comments
  • 1 question
  • 3 answers

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 25, 2016

Excellent customer service! Dave from Powertec so helpful! had our faulty unit replaced and shipped from Gold Coast to Kuranda in less then 24 hours. We live in a rural area and have no mobile phone or internet reception with out the Nextivity cel fi we would be out of touch. Many thanks Dave

better than nothing

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2016

When it works, which I admit is 90% of the time it is great, it gives a full 5 bars on my phone but it has a bad habit of just dropping out randomly.

Comments
Cel-Fi Official

HI Andrew, please give our Powertec support department a call and we can try to assist with any drop outs you are experiencing.

No more standing on one leg in the driveway

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 02, 2015

After putting up with little or no reception for twenty years due to as I've been told after many many hours on help desks that I live in a black spot
In the past, I've had to make and take calls in all weather conditions at my back door.
I finally gave in and paid for a cel-fi. What a crap I've been for being too stubborn to pay for it. I can now move around my home and be productive whilst working from home and making those sense of duty family phone calls. I've more than paid for it already with the increase in productivity whilst on the phone.

This is the new generation

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2015

The only thing you need is a place in your home that gets at least 1 bar of 3G or 4G signal in to enable the Cel-Fi to provide indoor coverage and enjoy having great mobile reception.le reception. No longer will you need to go outside or be in a certain room to make a phone call.
Using the Cel-Fi system your indoor mobile signal should be high and the battery will last longer for you to talk, check your Instagram and browse the internet.
Cel-Fi will amplify the mobile signal and increase your data speeds dramatically. Email, internet, video and social networking speeds will be like never before.

1 of 9 pages

I've just set up my Cel-fi Go for Telstra 3G/4G on my boat and tested it in Moreton Bay, Queensland. I have connected the external port directly to the existing mast-top aerial which has given reception to the previous Netcomm 3G modem. It seems to help according to iPhone app, but I am perplexed when I use the app that under the advanced tab, it says something like "external aerial in use: no" Does this mean reception is good enough not to need the aerial in that location or must I change aerials?

Michael W asked on Mar 21, 2017

Answer this

Hi Michael - Cel-Fi Go does not have an internal antenna so the Wave app sees the external antenna as the only antenna connected to the device. The Wave app is designed to work with both the Go and the Pro, the Pro being the unit that has internal antennas and the facility to connect an external antenna.

We highly recommend that you use the proprietary Marine antenna as supplied with the GO marine kit as it includes all bands used by Telstra now and in the future.
It is unlikely that your existing antenna will work with 700 and that is becoming the dominant band. Powertec cannot provide free technical support unless the supplied Marine antenna is used.

Thanks for advising me by e-mail that the Wave app when used with Cel-fi Go Stationary will always show "external antenna in use: no" even when it is functioning normally with the recommended antennas. Perhaps you might fix this in the app to avoid confusion.
Appreciate the customer support. M

How do I know that the Cel-Fi Pro will work in my location, Halls Gap-Pomonal area. Is there any govt rebates for having to improve our service as the service provider isn't upgrading their serve to all areas of Australia. Regards Greta

Greta asked on Jan 11, 2017

Answer this

Hi Greta, If you have 1 bar of signal inside your house/office, the device should work, if you are very marginal, you may need an antenna set-up to get the signal inside your house. I recommend you call Powertec Telecommunications on 07 5577 0500 to run through your situation. They can refer you to a local expert if you need one. The product also has a 30 day money back guarantee so you can return if it doesn't work. You will only pay for postage. Hope this helps.

Hi, so if I need an outside antenna what is the cost for one.
Thanks Greta

Are the units telco specific as im currently with optus but what if i change to Telstra? Also whats the difference between the standard and the pro?

Michelle OD asked on Sep 12, 2016

Answer this

Yes the units are carrier specific, so the Optus model wont boost a Telstra signal. The hardware is different internally so you can upgrade the unit.
The standard model supports 3G (meaning voice and standard internet speeds), the PRO support 3G and 4G at the same time (meaning voice and faster internet) if in a 4G area.