Costco Optical

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2017

3 Months ago purchased multi-focal lenses for my frames and was super impressed. Today 2 January 2017 decided to purchase frames and identical lenses. Previously I paid $346 for the lenses plus $20 for fitting them to my frames. Today I was quoted at $480 for the identical lenses. That is a 39% increase.Why such a jump? The young lady did say they had a small increase since my purchase. Small is definitely not the case. I was quoted cheaper in two other places and I will consider them over the next few weeks.

• 2 helpful votes

Careful buying Christmas decorations

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 22, 2016

I puchased The handprinted glass candle holders for my Christmas table they looked as beautiful as on the box except they were very dusty from the packaging, so I thought I would rinse the dust off. Big mistake because the colour and glitter washes off. So don't think to have sparkling glass on your centerpiece, because you can't rinse them let alone wash them. What a waste of time and money. Good going Costco......

Stay away from the CLAMS

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2016

Bought frozen bag of clams from Costco, I will be wanting my money back, clams were meant to be cooked, just needed reheating, well they were gritty, shells all broken into the tiniest pieces, not good enough, could not give them to the kids, waste of money!!!

Now you want a copy of proof of purchase, I will be taking this in with me to the store as you have overcharged me for a gift I purchased as well. Not happy Jan!!!!!

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Not as cheap as some local shops

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2016

We used to visit Costco in Japan (Kawasaki store) and the prices were pretty cheap compared to local super markets. But here in Melbourne, the prices aren't as low as some of the local shops - namely ALDI. We go to Costco to buy only the things that we cannot find locally or to have pizza. Sometimes those large pizzas are enable for two meals for us.

There are of course deals. But you cannot know about thess deals before visiting. People do post about these on ozbargain but that user base is small because of the membership.

Fuel is chea
per than the local fuel stations near me though. I always fill the tank when we visit there. Sometimes it is about 15c cheaper per litre but usually about 10c. If you live near Costco and have to fill up the tank every week, then the savings can be substantial. You would save at least $5 per fill and that's at least $260 over a period of a year. Sadly not all branches have fuel.

Brisbane

• 7 helpful votes

Rude Customer Service woman at North Lakes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2016

On 18/12/2016, I went to Costco North Lakes to buy some groceries. As I didn't bother to go upstairs to get my membership card, so I took my wife's card with me to the store. Apparently, the cashier didn't accept the card because my wife didn't present there. That was understandable, but to make sure they still checked with a woman named [name removed]. She asked me if I had any document with me, but unfortunately, I didn't have any because I forgot the wallet at home. That was alright because I had expected that in the worst case I wouldn't pu rchase the stuff. Unexpectedly, [name removed] said she would keep my credit card my wife's membership card!!! Only after a heated exchange, she would return my cards. I remember she insisted that she wanted to keep my cards. I had to ask her if she was a police or something several minutes before the cards were returned. Next, I returned home and get my membership card back to the store and tell her that what she did was wrong. The next thing she said to me that she wouldn't care what I did or would do, even when I said to her that I would write a review. Probably [name removed] should have gone a customer relationship class first before she is in charge of resolving customer's issues. That was disgusting to act like "we don't need you as customers". That was totally wrong.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

sydney

• 3 helpful votes

refund for a product

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2016

refund took 30 mins for me for such a product where i was asked to click a photograph of the discount that appeared on the product slidedeck after the photograph customer person haresh took it to other level for discussion and then i got my refund back pathetic path is at the last while coming out of the store i was asked to stop as i was not having any reciept and a customer person named ALPA asked someone to check me out when i give them a valid justification for refund of money then she said i can go. is this the way costco treats there customers.??

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes

Rude Cashier at Moorabbin location

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

I stood in line to checkout. The cashier was friendly with the person before me, greeting him by name and asking how he was. Quite cheery. I expected the same when it was my turn. Instead, I received the total opposite. Cashier did not greet me at all, scanned my items, told me the price and to scan my credit card, handed me the receipt and looked away. I confronted him telling him that he was a bit rude with me and that he did not even tell me "thank you" or ask me "how are you?" His response, "I did. I said thank you and have a good day." I c onfronted him right away. I think I would remember if he said a single word to me. After his response, I told him that I just wanted to give him some feedback. His response was, "okay" then looked away to help the next customer.
I'm not expecting him to be overly friendly with me. I just expect to be treated the same way other customers are being treated. If he wasn't friendly with the previous customer, I wouldn't have cared. Also, telling me he said otherwise instead of apologizing for the situation, is not good customer service.

Why do I have to work so hard to be treated equally? Costco, you need to train your staff in what good customer care entails.

• 1 answer
  • 9 helpful votes
Private message

Fresh produce and meats, no more

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2016

I don't like this chain for obvious reasons (search "Rudest and most patronising checkout" on this website) but my wife did. Did someone say: happy wife and happy life?
Recently we started discovering the vegetables being not refresh (i.e., we have to throw away) and I started complaining the wagyu steak tasting synthetic.
For vegetables, we had to throw out a few Capsicums, cucumbers, apples, spring onions, blackberries, cauliflowers and sweat corns. The celery are occasionally un-chewable. We now have to check each pack carefully.
Going t
o meat and seafood department, steaks are more expensive and synthetic. My (used to be) favourite pork belly and salmons are noticeably less fresh (smell and colour).
Eggs are not as fresh as they supposed to (when compared to buy from the local farms).
Occasionally my wife did find bargains. Then I asked her to evaluate the volume against the membership fee. Guess what: she said that she will not renew because Aldi has fresh vegetables with smaller packages (so it is easy to keep fresh).
From my limited life experience, this could be caused by two immediate reasons: degree of establishment (i.e., more establish and less care) and a "corrupt" procurement department (self-explanatory).

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

No longer worth joining

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2016

As from Jan. 1st. there will be mandated ethanol in petrol in QLD. You can still sell regular 91 octane unleaded as long as you sell ethanol blended as well. Not only will Costco not sell regular unleaded, they don't even sell 95 octane either. The only non-ethanol petrol they will sell after Jan. 1st. is 98 octane, 17c per litre per litre more expensive. My car does not need even 95 octane, let alone 98 octane, and cannot use ethanol blended petrol. This is obviously a cost saving decision by Costco, unwilling to install extra bowsers to cater for those who only need 91 octane. Just to rub salt into the wound, you have to pay $60 per year to buy petrol at a more expensive price than you can get elsewhere. My advice: Don't bother.

• 1 helpful vote

Good, not great

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2016

Taken to Costco by an existing member as a test, and the overall experience was fine.

However, the roast chicken I bought (albeit comparatively quiet cheap -- AU$6 / 1.4kg), was of the "Kirkland", home brand variety (not well received, from my limited Google'ing) and turned out to be under-cooked (*rubbery meat below the surface; some signs of blood; a little hispid in parts (feather stems not properly removed)). Moreover, not everything is "cheap" -- 2kg of generic apples ($8), 2kg mangos ($10), for examples, aren't particularly cheap... m
ore like, somewhat cheap(er). That, and many of the ready-made products (e.g., Thai curry, lamb korma) use preservatives -- taking the sheen off their otherwise seeming convenience. The $12K LG T.V. also looked a tad suspect, in an Age where electronic devices depreciate like yogurt on a window sill in summertime...

On another point, being a burger / U.$. company, one must ask 'how much of their tax are they paying in their countries they trade in?' and, perhaps,'how safe are their (U.$. sourced) edible products?'. After all, it's not like the U.$. is the picture of healthy, First World food and sustenance...!

Having said all that, I'll still probably get a membership (despite its photo ID nature... /!\), but will be very vigilant in future and use the place as a supplementary shopping stop-over; as distinct from a go-to destination. Spreading the wealth is always the best philosophy.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Gold Coast

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 3 helpful votes

Fantastic company

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2016

I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews. The North Lakes staff are always polite, helpful and professional, and I have switched to many Kirkland products as the quality is superior to other brand names in supermarkets and somehow costs less! I recoup my membership cost for the year on buying one bag of the very high quality grain free dog food, with better ingredients and 4kg more product than the expensive premium brand we used to buy. I feel confident shopping there as you can return anything you are not 100% satisfied with. On the 2 occasions I haven't been happy with something my money was refunded immediately under their satisfaction guarantee, they even saw on my membership I had another box of a product at home and offered to refund that too (I declined as we had used too much of it to return in my mind, but they offered!). You don't even need to keep receipts - all purchases are stored on your membership.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Rude check out register no customer service ethics.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2016

Been a member before when Docklands was opened. Had bad experience about check out register cashier. For being rude and acting like your an idiot. Being a new member they should guide you and lead you what to do not acting like a boss and commanding you!!! No manners at all!!

Thinking just one bad apple to the company. So decided to become member for a second time and went to Costco Moorabbin.

Having all we had for groceries, Me and my wife decided to split bills for a reason, we both got a membership card. We have only one cart and this
cashier woman as said been rude and acting like a boss commanding you on which of your groceries to be punch in first!
Hello!!! This is our groceries not her who is commanding us which is which to be punch in first!!! Also we are the customer here! Talking to us without manners and no customer ethics at all. Not even a slight strech of her cheek to smile. All is her eyebrows nearly meet together.

Management should train their staff about customer service and ethics. Or you will be loosing a lot of customers! Also is it really value for money? Will your $60.00 membership worth for a savings?

4 of 28 pages