Review rating:
Filter By:
  • 3 helpful votes

Customer service is shocking

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2016

This is my first health insurer , TBH it was easy to join and i claim with no issues so can not complain there.
BUT customer service and member portal is dreadful.
I changed my direct debit when i joined via member portal from monthly to fortnightly to reflect my budgeting.
A month later when my next payment was due i raised a ticket via member portal to inquire on my next direct debit..no answer for days actually still no answer, direct debit came out they still charged the monthly amount.
Phoned in and call wait was over 30mins
Tried o
nline help, 15 mins to chat with someone then another 15 mins for them to ask my date of birth and address to confirm who i was, i responded straight away then the system crashed.(i work in IT it wasn't our end)
3 days after request through member portal i still have no correspondence.
It wouldn't be an issue with full amount but its xmas and holidays coming up so every cent counts.esp when you change details a month ago to budget for Xmas.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Canberra

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Insurance claim made

Misleading advertising, Frank 457 overseas cover provides almost no coverage

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2016

The costs for nearly nothing are high. The only thing that Frank will cover is when you are actually admitted to a hospital, for more than one day. They do NOT COVER emergency services at all! It if quite ridiculous actually, they will cover the ambulance to the emergency room, but not the emergency service itself.

Nowhere in any of the documents and the contract that I had with Frank did it state this important condition, that emergency services are not covered.

UPDATE:

After going to the health ombudsman, Frank paid my claim, which
I appreciate, since they were not legally required to do so. However, until they include the specific clause that emergency services are not covered in their PDS, I'll leave this review at 2 stars.

I really wish that Australia would just allow temporary residents to buy into the public healthcare system, even at double the cost, instead of forcing us into the terrible private health market, which essentially covers nothing anybody needs most of the time.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Bad experience changing funds

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2015

When Frank was supposed to arrange cancellation of my existing fund I was still debited by them putting my bank account into red so no money for food over Easter!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Brisbane

• 9 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Not wot u get

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2013

3 weeks ago got a quote and joined as thought WOW very nice . Today got an update $50 above first month payment ( which had been paid but only went for 2 weeks ). It would seem their simple way of doing things ..AINT .So I cancelled today filled out paperwork , scanned , emailed ..2 sorry 3hrs later was ask to fill in the paperwork
I now have to apologise to my previous insurer who was willing to beat Frank .
Plus they said if I come back things maybe dearer

+ Simple

- Simple

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Hi I'm looking into private health policies now with the view to be adequately covered for my specific future requirements. Does your policies cove spinal surgery at St Vincents hospital Sydney ? If so what policy level will I need as a single male 62 years old .what will be the monthly premium and what is the out of pocket expense for Dr fees Hospital fees etc Thank you Mark

Mark asked on Feb 01, 2017

Answer this

Hi Mark, Thankyou for your enquiry. If you are wanting private hospital cover with the benefit of a single room I would recommend having a look at Frank's Best Hospital cover (no pregnancy option). In regards to spinal surgery as long as the procedure you are looking at having done has a medical item number assigned to it by Medicare then you will be able to claim on a cover that includes this service. St Vincents is a participating private hospital with Frank.
Unfortunately I don't have enough information to provide you with a quote but we can certainly get one for you if you send us an email at frank@frankhealthinsurance.com.au. In the email please include your date of birth, residential state, Australian government rebate tier (more information on this is here if you are unsure https://www.frankhealthinsurance.com.au/help/health-insurance/government-rebate), if the cover is just for yourself or for a family, if you have had cover previously or if this will be your first time taking out health insurance (this is so we can calculate the correct amount of Lifetime Health Cover loading to apply - https://www.frankhealthinsurance.com.au/help/health-insurance/lifetime-health-cover-loading) and also mention that you are wanting a quote for Frank Best Hospital (no pregnancy). It's a lot of information but all these different factors can affect the cost of the policy.
Regards,
Kim
Frank Health Insurance

Hi Mark. Unfortunately the Frank Representative did not answer your question regarding the out-of-pocket fees for your surgery, as it is very important to understand the source of out-of-pocket fees. It is your treating doctors who will determine what your out-of-pocket fees will be. For spinal surgery you will almost certainly have at least 3 doctors involved and each of them may charge you out-of-pocket fees. You may also be liable for out-of-pocket fees for any pathology or radiology services that you use, and off course your health fund will also charge you an excess to use it's policy.

The health insurer that you choose also has some bearing on your out-of-pocket fees because the health funds reimburse doctors at different rates. I won't go through all the reimbursement rates for the individual funds but I can tell you for a fact that Frank insurance has the equal lowest reimbursement rates for doctors, so this might equate to higher out-of-pocket fees for Frank members. If you want to read more about the sources & reasons for out-of-pocket fees then visit http://surgery.comxa.com.

Can I use any chiropracter in Canberra and recieve the same rebate ?

Shc22 asked on Jul 09, 2016

Hi, I am currently with Australian unity but with terrible customer service and huge price rise would like to make a switch, do I get instant cover with no waiting period? Regards, Paula.B

Paula.B asked on Mar 29, 2016

Answer this

yes but you need to ask for a clearance certificate from your insurer and pass it on to new one - but check with them BUPA certainly do it

See all 15 questions about Frank Health Insurance