• 60 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2012

Ok biggest mistake was thinking these people could build me a house! I have left leaving this review, as I wanted to see if they would actually fix their stuff ups but alas I think hell will freeze over first! Best thing about this is I have hundreds of friends, most of my friends have seen my horror hole of a house and of course they have now told their friends and the revolving door will continue to spin. It is just bad business to not rectify blatent stuff ups like my hell hole. I think they thought they could rip me off but they have pick ed the wrong person to mess with. Absolutely horrified with every aspect of my build. I have shown at least 200 people and tradies and they stand there and shake their heads in disbelief. I will post my building thread wherever I can so no other poor person will be treated the way I was. My house will never be sold because no person will ever want it. it is that bad! Even my toilet roll holders have fallen off the walls, there is nothing right with my house. I have had to get several tradesmen out to fix things as they can't be bothered. My list could go on and on but as Molly would say, "do yourself a favour " and run away from these cowboys or you will be sorry! They havent heard the last from me and will in the end realise that you don't screw over someone who knows so many people and I am not afraid to invite them all in for a looksy.

60 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 66 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2012

Salesmen were shocking, high pressure, hard sales lines. Felt like if i wasn't there to sign a contract then “the door was that way!”. After my first interview with a salesman i was super cautious about what i signed and agreed to. The hard sales tactics just made me feel like I was being conned. When i finalised plans i felt really rushed to sign and contemplated going elsewhere (to another builder) but it was the good house plan that kept me there. After signing and paying the deposit, i felt like i had to turn up at the front desk to ask que stions because phone calls were just a waste of time. Then the salesman i was dealing with left the company and i ended up with another salesman, his boss, who was just as full of crap. I was not shown all of the available plans and i found (myself) a plan that incorporated most of my extras and saved myself thousands by changing to it. At pre-start i was made to feel like i was wasting the girls time and was told to hurry it along. In the actual build, the site supervisor was useless, spineless and everything was too hard for him. Heard every excuse under the sun as to why stuff ups could not be fixed (which is utter crap cause they all can) and even busted out sob stories for sympathy points.....WTF! If that wasn't enough, i was told i was not able to contact any tradesmen on their work, yet my phone number was handed out to a tradesman who made a momentous stuff up, and he rang me asking that i let him leave the problem the way it was as 'HE' would be getting a towelling for it........again, WTF!!
If you feel you must go with Homebuyers Centre then be careful, take it slow, check everything, and make sure you get a build inspector upon completion. i didn't and the amount of shoddy work i have found since completion is just poor. I fail to see how these people stay in business.

+ Good house plan designs.

- Bad customer service. Site manager was useless and a blatant liar. Treated like a pain in the ass as soon as your deposit is in their pocket.

52 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 49 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2012

+ Good plans

- Lies, Incompetent, poor customer service, Bullies

49 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 84 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2012

+ plenty of good plans to choose with good pricing to start with. mostly nice sales reps although some of them are quite new and not knowledgeable. Display homes finish looks quite good for the money.

- Beware of the salesman attitudes that may be put forward to you, to get you hook on signing the paper in a hurry ( sounds like some salesman in car yards). Heard some critics about the building process that takes longer than promised ( need to be proven, if you darem :)) I met with one salesman (initial N) that was very nice at the beginning, but when we were at the 2nd meeting and start talking about what i wanted and what price i would pay for, then the truth started to show, the true nature of salesman, who sat me there for at least 30 minutes with his "lectures" about how great the company is comparing to others, money is nothing when it comes to the value provided by the company products ( which are the same anyway - cheap stuff!!! with big margin on his pocket, fool!! ) and some lectures on customer profiles ( again, something to make you feel stupid about having to tell him what you wanted out of your MONEY!!! Who is the boss here? ) i wonder.

44 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 22 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2012

- Very obviously spinning lies to get you to sign up. They have a great speech prepared for first homebuyers who arn't really sure how everything works, and i'm sure alot of people would easily fall in to their trap.

40 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 40 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2012

The only good reviews written about homebuyers centre are one's that have been written by the salesman or employee's. The salesmen are rude, self indulgent and will stalk you for a sale.I over paid too much for my house compared to what was available after they sapped me for everything I had. They even demanded to see my bank statements even though my finance was all approved. My house is falling to pieces. I have rising damp only after six months as the bricklayers have filled the cavities with cement and my slab is covered in deep cracks ever ywhere. My tiles are falling off in the ensuite because everything has moved so much and the tiler was useless.When I checked the bricklaying (after I was kicked off my block and was told i wasnt allowed to look at my home untill I got the keys), there were massive gaps between the bricks through out the house where the bricks are supposed to be joined. All my tin roof covering rattles in the wind.Be aware that only about 10% of the tradesman that build their houses are actually qualified. They use cheap illegitimate labour to cut costs to put in their own pocket.I was told this by a past employee who was to embarrased to keep working for them.My inside bedroom doors have had holes in them or been damaged before i moved in and have been bogged up and painted over. My kitchen bench is scrated from everyone useing it a a work bench.The guy who was supposed to oversee my house has no balls, he had no knowledge of the building industry and turned to water and rang his boss for advice every question i had.Come to think of it im sure he was inexperienced.So people be so careful, i'm too ashamed to sell my house. I dont know what to do. I'm stuck with a big fat peices of shit that cost a fortune.

40 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 57 helpful votes

+ Nothing
The fact my partner and I got out of there as quick as possible

- Absolutely everything

From the receptionists, the BS they constantly spin, to the finished product… this company needs to be put out of business as soon as possible

Biggest rip off in building industry

I am so thankful my partner and I terminated our dealings with them before pre start and before we found land because after doing a bit of shopping and inspecting other peoples homes that built HomeBuyers centre, I could honestly say I would let my dog live in one of their ‘so called’ houses.

The only reason they continue to be in business is because they make it so easy for people to build, do not fall for it. The sales rep’s also don’t have 1 clue what they are talking about in terms of finance. Buyer Beware….

36 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 37 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2012

+ They tell you everything you want to hear(but this is not always a good thing)

- Salesman full of crap, incompetent, arrogant.

28 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Kardinya, WA

• 24 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2012

Me and my friend bought a Flute home in Butler back in October and at that time, we were told we can move in around Christmas. We went thru the mortgage with their in-house mortgage, Revolve Finance. The biggest mistake we ever made ! The broker never ever call or email us for any updates on the house, until we chased him up many times. He did a very poor application presented to ANZ Bank and of course declined. Didnt tell us its been declined until we again, chased him. He was arrogant and rude and avoiding any contacts

Since then we change
d finance broker to Mortgage Choice. They submitted the loan application to CBA in 4 days. Compared to Resolve 10 days. The finance got approved thru CBA while Resolve still trying to negotiate with ANZ. We are still waiting for the completion of the house. We have been told dates that can move in but when the time comes it delays again and again.

NEVER EVER buy anything from Homebuyers Center. they are arrogant, ignorance, selfish, Zero customer service and their staff are incompetent, from Sales to broker to conveyancing. Those reviews with 4-5 stars would have to be fake, posted by their own staff. Our next door neighbour applied for finance from them but fail. They lost half of the deposit

BUYERS BEWARE

25 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 23 helpful votes

I'd actually select no stars if I could! Very unhappy with HBC

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2012

We are stuck in a contract with HBC and I only wish I had read these comments first before signing up! I just cant believe that everything I am reading is exactly what is happening to us! I only looked on here to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problems and surprise surprise yes they are! Well...Sales guy was great, did a quick finance calculation & said there wont be any problems getting finance (thru resolve) & told us we could pick any house we liked, so we picked a lovely design with all the features, paid our deposit for house and land and then finance was refused!!! They told us to wait a while and to pick another house....we ended up losing our house deposit to HBC (who assured us that we would get it back if finance was refused...lies) lost our land and then had to choose one of the smallest houses/designs u could possible get with the cheapest basic fixtures & fittings, we asked for simple items to be included in the house at pre-start but was horrified at the prices they came back with, not just $20-$30 over the price u could buy the item in the shops for (& to fit it) but $100's of dollars over! One item they charged $800 over the price u could actually buy it for and get it fitted!!! It cost us $1000 to add extra sockets & out door lights etc... All part of the con to make u spend more money, We were not made aware of the pre-start con even tho we asked the questions over and over again from the start, we were fobbed off, ignored and the pre-start girl was a rude snotty cow who was no help at all. We came away feeling angry, let down, confused and very very disappointed, we r first time buyers, we have a family with small children and now we are having a half finished house built that we r going to have to spend thousands on when its built to add all the things we wanted to add. I thought building/buying your first home was exciting and a big achievement but this has got to be one of the worst experiences we have ever had, the customer service is rubbish, once they have your money they don't want to do anything to help. We r so worried about what's coming next, it's getting built next month :( I'm dreading it. I don't even feel interested in the house anymore, such a shame. We have been advised by other unhappy HBC clients to NOT SIGN if u are not happy during the build, make them rectify before you allow mortgage co to release the funds. All we want to do with this house is sell it and it's not even built yet,

+ Very helpful sales guy..... Obviously!!!

- Cheap crap, poor customer service. Lied to. Confusing. Money grabbers!!

23 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 22 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2012

very crooked builders limited choice of plans. not at all flexible. very slow in getting pricing. be very careful. poor gallery selection.

- very bad experience. lucky we got out of them. was attracted by their 'only $300' deposit scheme and advancing of FHOG. but beware this FHOG of $20,000 they include in the house price. i had clearly calculated this with a similar plan with two other builders. also in house finance resolve was very bad in communication and responses. had the finance denied. also they tell a base price during the initial meeting and when go to sign the preliminary they include a huge amount called price protection to the price and really push into signing of the contract. anybody dealing with them be careful of this issues.

22 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 21 helpful votes
Private message

Beware this organisation. I'm in Sales myself and would never stoop to these practices.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2012

First rep I dealt with called my for an appointment on a Saturday morning, spent one hour going through their generic brochures, and most of the time telling me how he wasnt happy working there, and was looking for another job. Loud drum and bass music playing in the office next to me during this meeting, very unprofessional. This rep never followed up on actual buying questions from me after this meeting, and actually used excuses like "it is my grandmother's birthday", as reasons for not getting back to me.

Deceptive sales practices, wil
l change the story and solution and say anything to get you signed into one of their deals. $45-$55 per hour admin charges for 5 hours after finance declined, but cannot say when and what tis work was they are charging for. 15 day gap between decline advice from broker and next contact,homebuyer centre continued process to pre-start stage, until I notified them finance had been declined, the salesperson didn't know until I told him. This is also severely impacted on my ability to settle the land in time, regardless of whether finance was approved. Obvious poor communication between sales and finance. Salesperson was constantly talking "off the record", but none of his off the record advice was accurate. Also advised my father he was eligible for the $1000 referral fee, which he applied for, but they never paid it.

I signed an initial preliminary works contract that has a clause that specifies there are certain costs you are responsible for regardless of finance approval. Fair enough - there are some services you would reasonably expect to commit to like basic engineering/survey costs, however they also included 5 hours of "admin" charges at $45-$55 per hour, but can't specify why or when this work I've been charged for took place, in fact, the fundamental deceit here lies in the reality that you have no idea when they start charging you, so you might be in with them for four hours, and don't realise they are charging you for either this meeting, or the associated admin. they cant wait to get their hands on your initial deposit for the works, but when you terminate for declined finance, they take 6 weeks to pay you back (after "costs"), and pay you in dribs and drabs over that period. If they can take a lump sum from you, they should pay it back as such. Massive fail in customer service, if you are intending to charge a client admin or consulting fees, these should be specified in the contract, not some general clause that allows them to retrospectively and arbitrarily apply these charges, without showing specifically when and what work was undertaken at $55 per hour.

In brief - inconsistent, deceptive sales and finance advice, poor follow up, poor communication, after spending hours filling out forms and attending meetings in my business time, after finance decline (for lending rules reasons, I applied for the product they advised was best suited according to them and was still declined), I am now still not building a house, and am down half my initial deposit due to their "fees". I will never use this organisation again, and have distributed my experiences already across my 2000+ business network, and my facebook connections. So enjoy your few hundred $$ "Homebuyers" - its the only money you'll ever see out of me.

- Deceptive Sales Practices, Poor Follow Up, Inconsistent Information, Unjustified "Fees", even if you cant build with them.

21 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 20 pages

Hello, I am just at the start of my build,plumbing and electrical is just about done then the roof will be put on..i am having a massive freak out about my kitchen colours,i chose a stone grey for the cupboards and wish that i just gone with plain white.. i called HBC before the slab had even gone down and asked if i could change it but was informed that the build contract had already been sent to the contractors. Has this happened to anyone else?. It's the only issue i have with the house and it's making me feel uneasy about the build.

Hendrix asked on May 10, 2017

Hi Hendrix

We had a few changes too but they were not cupboards. I would just ring HBC and request your home building supervisor's assistance to ask if approaching the contractor yourself is an option? I was nervous about my bathroom tile colours as well but after everything was finished the colours came together very beautifully. We accept compliments coming and I don't even hint I had doubts along the way. What you are feeling is normal but it won't be as bad as you are thinking if you fail to make the changes. Good luck!

Hello Casta,
Thankyou for your response,that is good to know that you also made minor changes. I will email HBC tomorrow and fingers crossed will be all good!

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone had included in their house package with HBC the upgrade to 900mm kitchen appliances? And did this include the range hood? We were told if we signed up by a certain time we could get the upgrade to 900mm appliances so we did and were then told we had to purchase the range hood (which you require for the appliances to operate safely..?). Would love to know if this is standard or if it should have been included. Thanks!

amfWA asked on Dec 20, 2016

Answer this

The rage hood should come with he upgraded oven. Free. Ask for ceased stone benches too if it's the kitchen upgrade for signing up. Ask for as much as you can as builind seems to have died down a bit

Hi

We would like to look into this further for you - If you could please email through your contact details (full name and best contact phone number) to customersupport@homebuyers.com.au, we will have someone give you a call to discuss.

Thanks,
Homebuyers Centre

I have submitted an email to Homebuyers customer support on the 3/10/16 and have no one attended to my structural defects of the house yet. It needs refix of the Bulkhead into position, prop back to original location .. bulkhead to rear bedroom as its now causing damage to the plaster walls and ceilings. I have also attached pictures of the defects/damage to the effect. I have contacted three times in the past few days and spoke to 3 different ladies. Please respond asap as it requires rectification without further delay. Thanks, Lillian of Southern River, 6110 WA

Lilly asked on Oct 11, 2016

Hi Lilly

Thank you for getting in touch – we are sorry to hear you have experienced these issues.

We have forwarded this matter on as a high priority to our customer service team and they will get back to you soon with an outcome.

Kind regards,