This product has been discontinued by Janome.

Sydney

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Wish I had picked a different overlocker

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 04, 2016

This overlocker is the noisiest machine I've ever had - husband likens it to a machine gun. I have a home sewing business and use it a lot but will avoid it wherever possible. It is awful on thicker fabric and has jammed and thrown out the tension to a point where the there was no option but to take it to get repaired - twice - costing me over $200! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I had money to spare. Having said that, it does do a fantastic rolled hem though.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Mandurah

• 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes

Absolute rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2014

Had a Janome over locker for 25 yrs and worked it into the ground. It was an old work horse. I decided to spoil myself and buy the Janome Mylock 744D. I have only managed to use it a few times. It is so awful that I have been forced to rather zigzag seams with the sewing machine. I used to love sewing but this machine definitely makes it a chore now.
If you only ever sew one thickness of fabric then this machine is for you. Try doing 2 or 3 layers of thin cotton fabric and it jams, breaks a needle or seizes up and will not move. So frustrating. Would like to scrap it, but can not afford another machine just yet.
Has definitely eaten my happy.

- Jams easily,very noisy and ultimately not a pleasure to use

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sippy Downs, Qld

• 8 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 67 helpful votes

Mixed results

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2012

I purchased this overlocker after not having one for a couple of years. Recently the thread has started snapping for the lower looper everytime I use it. Even though the lower looper does have an easy thread option, it is still the most complicated to re-thread so this is a real pain!
When it was going well, it sewed very neatly & ran smoothly

+ Price, ease of threading, ease of changing stitches

- Threads keep snapping, tension was out of whack after doing rolled hem

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 6 helpful votes

Hard to use machine

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2012

It is difficult to thread,and we paid a little extra to supposedly get an easy thread machine. It does not seem to like thicker fabrics ie denim, it seems to struggle abit. I have had an overlocker previously so I am familiar with using an overlocker but I need to pay for lessons to be able to use this one. I am very disappointed. Maybe a free lesson should come with the machine.

I know this will not be approved however this is my honest opinion that you have asked for.

- Hard to use

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Yelarbon, Qld

• 5 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 49 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2012

+ This is the best overlocker I have used in all my years of sewing. The threading of this machine is so easy, even my 8 year old grand daughter can do it. And if you break say number 3 thread, there's no need to undo all the other threads and start from 1, but just rewind the broken one only.
The tutorial video is the best I've seen so far: close-up shots and very detailed. There is a hard copy also for quick references.

- Nothing negative about this machine, but if you use cheap thread you'll encounter lots of breakage in the thread. Instead, start with a good quality thread and you won't look back and save money in the long run.

38 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

MELBOURNE

• 3 helpful votes

differential feed keeps jamming

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2012

I bought this OL from metro sewing centre after my old OL broke.(not a janome)
It sews absolutely beautiful.. perfect rolled hems, i love it..Then the differential feed jammed and would bunch up my fabric as i tried to sew and no matter what i tried it wouldnt unjam.
ive had to send it back twice to get fixed. So annoying. Im hoping this isnt a recurring thing on this machine as i forked out $500 for it.
When its working its amazing, when its not,its crap. If you can, make sure you buy from a local dealer. its a major pain to have to courier it back as its a cost to you to have it couried and that isnt covered by warranty.

+ Sews beautifully

- Differential feed keeps jamming

Purchased at: Metro Sewing Centres

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

I am having trouble with the last stage of threading my Janome 744d overlocker. I have looked at all the resources and don't know what to do with the thread once it has all been put through - the green thread guide lower looper. Please help

Giraffes asked on Oct 09, 2016

How do I replace the globe in my Janome Mylock 744D?

jennybrown asked on Oct 11, 2014

Answer this

I really do not know. I try touch the Janome as little as possible. I will try to see how it works and will let you know if I can figure it out.

Can I see a diagram of the two top threads for the manometer my lock 744D; I'm having trouble getting it threaded right.

Averil asked on Oct 31, 2013

Answer this

Hi Averil,
The treading diagram is on the inside of the 'door' on the front of your machine. There is also a diagram step by step in the manual that comes with the 744D machine, and to top it off: watch the video that is also included in the purchase of this Janome MyLock 744D.

See all 5 questions about Janome MyLock ML744D