Generations:
Filter By:

Sydney, Australia

Generation: QL (2015-2017) Badge: SLi Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Beautiful car to drive - cannot fault it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2017

Brilliant car to drive. We test-drove 4 SUVs and found the Kia to be the quietest, smoothest and most comfortable drive. The car is responsive and handles well. The leather interior is nice and adds that extra layer of 'quality'. In city driving, the car averages ~10.8 litres which is less than our previous impreza. The 7 years unlimited km warranty is also a huge bonus which only adds to resell. Another thing to factor in is that in contrast to the CX-5 for example, the Kia comes with a full-size spare tyre/rim!

I could not fault the car even if I tried.

Glenroy Vic

Generation: QL (2015-2017) Badge: Si Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Everything I wanted it to be. Great car.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2017

After 25 years of driving Japanese cars, I took a leap of faith and bought my first SUV, a Kia Sportage.
I was worried about the build quality, but after one drive I was convinced this car was streets ahead of anything on the market.
Now that I've owned it for 10 months, I am convinced it was the best decision I made to buy it. The Auto transmission is a dream, especially compared to those CVT's that are around at the moment.
The car is well built, quality interior and it drives better than my bosses BMW X5!

Plenty of room for all and a
solid feel in the way it drives and handles. Best of all, 7 years of unlimited warranty. When our Corolla moves on, we'll be straight back to the Kia dealer for our second Sportage.

Dislikes: There is no CD player, and the touch screen on the entertainment system is totally useless and frustrating. You have to keep stabbing at the screen to get it to react.
*If you want more power, go to the diesel engine because the 2 litre petrol is adequate for everyday driving but would not cut it with heavier loads or any sort of towing.

• 1 answer

Generation: QL (2015-2017) Badge: SLi Date Purchased: Jan 2013

Best SUV ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 31, 2017

This the best SUV my wife has owned yet . Great to driver ,easy to drive powerful to go the long haul can not fault in anyway after 3 yrs . Lazy mans car with 6 speed auto box and 2ltr diesel turbo go like a rocket. The all wheel drive is great in the soft or wet stuff

North Sydney, NSW

• 1 comment
  • 2 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Generation: QL (2015-2017) Date Purchased: Jan 2017

Best value luxury SUV with 7yr warranty, European class without the high price

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 29, 2017

Styling like the Germans, but at a fraction of the cost. Has all "options" as standard, unlike the competition. Love the self parking, reversing camera and wireless phone charging. Android Auto and iOS CarPlay are both supported as well as USB charging ports front and back. I can play music off my phone or USB, with control via the 7" central LCD.

Ultra bright Bi-Xenon head lights and LED rear & driving/fog lights. Diesel economy provides up to 800km per tank and 400Nm torque means effortless pulling. I found the auto very smooth, having dri
ven now 3,000km from new.

Inside the electrically adjustable seats are leather covered and have heating and forced ventilation - most welcome in Sydney's hot and humid climate, or going to the Snowy's ski-ing. Rear seats have individually rake adjustable backrests and plenty of leg room (I am over 6' and even with the front seat set for me, I can easily fit in the back too). LED interior lighting is plentiful and comes on automatically when switching off the engine or opening the doors. The roof is made of carbon fibre and has a huge opening sun roof as standard. In fact everything is "standard" on the GT-Line. The only extra that I specified was a tow bar to carry my bicycles.

Lockable, on-demand AWD provides grip in slippery condition, but this is not an off-roader, rather a "soft roader". Automatic Hill-hold is a welcome option, even in city driving when stopping at lights on an incline.

Instrumentation is clear and a digital speedo option can help keeping one's license.

The car drives sure footedly absorbing road irregularities, while still maintaining its composer and driver involvement. Having 7 years warranty provides confidence that the makers are behind their products.

My only gripe: The cruise control is not the "adaptive" kind.

• 1 answer

Generation: QL (2015-2017) Badge: Si Date Purchased: Mar 2017

it was great, but no car is perfect

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 28, 2017

This car was a rental, it had 29,000kms... I was so happy when i saw this car driving to me for collection as i always wanted to test drive it. Coming from a BMW series 1, I was instantly liking the standard features.

BUT remember, no car is perfect and sometimes you do get a lemon from all the oranges. 2nd week in and a few gremlins popped up.

Every time you turn the car on you have to "agree" to access the infotainment.... WHY???? i got so sick it
The aircond is flaky, all settings max cold but was blowing outside air it eventually wen
t cold. So now doing this on a couple of days. Also i hate it when you change to max it looses your settings and go to default (blows to face, this also happens to golf VW) why have this feature?????
other issue is the transmission. drive mode is normal accelerating and then suddenly free revs to readline. Feels like it missed a gear happened twice already. These things will hopefully be fixed under warranty.

All the other reviews of this car is correct and i actually still love it, but probably get the GT/platinum for the 4x4 and turbo.

Generation: QL (2015-2017) Badge: SLi Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Love this car!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 22, 2017

This car meets and exceeds all my needs.
Great extras like phone connectivity, android auto, auto headlights.
Very quiet, smooth running and good on petrol.
The seats are very comfortable which is great for my long work drives. The back seats have different reclining positions for comfort.
Boot has heaps of space and good sized window which is perfect for my dog.
Heaps of different charging stations in the front and for passengers.
Very happy with my new car.

Generation: QL (2015-2017) Badge: Si Premium Date Purchased: May 2015

Great Family Car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 22, 2017

Generation: QL (2015-2017) Badge: Platinum Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Best car I have owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 21, 2017

I have owned a Sportage GT Line Platinum turbo diesel for 12 months and over 20,000km. The car has been absolutely faultless. It is economical - 6.2l per 100km on long highway trips, and sub 8l in stop start traffic on the kids school run.
The wife didn't want a Sorrento/Pajero as they were too big for our small garage - we've found the Sportage to be spacious without being enormous.
The car isn't a race car, it isn't a sports sedan. But for a family vehicle, its comfortable, relaxing, safe and has enough toys (sunroof, moonroof, multip
le USB, wireless charging etc) to keep me entertained. The parking sensors, lane change sensors, reverse camera, forward collision avoidance systems are all excellent additions to the car. Note I have never used the auto parking - I am afraid of scratching a wheel on a gutter!
Build quality has been fantastic - I have noticed a single occasional tiny rattle in the sunroof on rough roads, but thats it. The NVH is very good except for the most coarse road surfaces, and scuttle shake is non existant.
After owning Australian build cars for the last 15 years, I now realise what I was missing out on. My Kia ownership experience has been 10 out of 10.

Melbourne

• 3 answers

Generation: QL (2015-2017) Badge: Si Premium Date Purchased: Jun 2015

I love my Kia

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2017

I love my 2016 Kia Sportage . It's a great car to drive , handles really well around corners , no noise at all , smooth .
I really like the reverse camera , the display when reversing is in the rear vision mirror , so when reversing its easy to see what behind you , it also beeps if something is behind the vehicle which makes it really easy to stop.
Hubby is 6'4 so the legroom was something we looked at , no issue in the Kia at all , plenty of room in the back for the 2 kids and heaps of boot room , backseats even fold down to get large items in there .
Dashboard display is good as well , well lit and all buttons easy to use .
On petrol it does use a bit that's the only downer on the car , but the rest of the car makes up for that.

Smithfield NSW. Australia

• 2 helpful votes

Generation: SL (2011-2014) Badge: Platinum Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Worst car we've owned!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 05, 2017

Kia Sportage Platinum Turbo Diesel 2011.
We sold a Ford Focus Sport 2.0 2011 to get the Kia. Very bad decision. The Ford beats the Kia in every way. The interior of the Kia is terrible. The front seats are wide, flat & hard. You slide across the seats when cornering. If you're colour blind you will have extreme difficulty reading the dash instrumentation on sunny days. The Bluetooth connectivity is very clumsy & difficult to use. The suspension is rock hard. Our baby was woken many times by the big thud when hitting bumps in the road. Our car
had some kind of rear differential issue & made a grinding sound when cornering or accelerating. We took it back to Gateway Motors in Wollongong many times for the diff & a faulty air conditioner to fixed under warranty. Neither got fixed. Worst customer service you could get from a dealership. I will never deal with that company again.
The brakes are terrible. Cheap sounding stereo. Steering feels notchy. Not smooth at all. We had the door seals replaced under warranty & could still feel & hear the wind blowing through the doors. The windscreen cracked from the drivers side right across the middle of the screen directly through the drivers line of sight. We assumed it was due to the body flexing.
We owned that piece of garbage for 2 years & it was such a relief to finally get rid of it. Worst car ever!

Perth

• 1 review
  • 1 question
  • 3 helpful votes

Generation: QL (2015-2017) Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Fault in 2016 Sportage Diesel from new

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 04, 2017

Such a nice car but from new randomly faults at 1800 RPM. After much grief finally the dealership tells me its a known fault and Kia are still trying to find a fix. Temp fix done by dealer that made no difference.
So if you going buy a Kia diesel beware the engines have a known fault they don't have a fix for. Shame. Used the Web site to complain and no one responds. Really nice car in all respects but pointless if the engine is faulty.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 9 pages

QL (2015-Present)

Have 6 month old Kia Sportage QL diesel. Drives well but evert now and then at around 80kmph it starts to miss and loose power. Dealer had for a week and didn't fault so they found no issue. Bur it still faults at random at 80 kmph. Any idea what it might be.

Steffi asked on Feb 20, 2017

Answer this

Sorry, no. My car is only 2 months old and has done so far only 1800 km. Just hope I do not get the same issue.
Be careful where you buy your diesel, as you should youse a service station that has a high turnover. This so that no diesel is sold that has been standing in the service stations tank for a while. Because modern common rail diesel car are highly sensitive to the smallest dirt particles in the diesel.

the only thing I can suggest is google problems with your model , you can google your specific problem or just general problems with your year and model , you might be surprised what you come up with , another thing you can do is ring Kia head office and ask to speak to a tech man , explain that your dealer can't locate your could be very dangerous problem. Hope this helps a bit regards Rob.

Give it a good hard run, one hour plus over 80 kph. If you only do short distances and drive at low speed your particle filter may be blocking. These cars need to for 45 minutes minimum at over 80kph to burn the deposits in the filter. Hope this helps.

SL (2011-2014)

Can I drive my 2013 Sportage AWD on the beach?

BPod asked on Jan 08, 2017

Answer this

Never tried but it is an AWD so this should be possible but check with an 4WD club

If you have AWD then I think you could consider driving your car on hard compacted sand but be very wary of loose sand as you could bog it. If you don't have equipment to get out of trouble or are in a isolated location with few 4WD vehicles around I would not advise you to drive on sand.

You can but you will probably bog on soft sand. Only hard core 4x4's should go on beaches. Even they get stuck.
Personally I wouldn't do it.

SL (2011-2014)

Hi to any Sportage owners. I currently own a Diesel Subaru outback, and am in the process of getting rid of it due to the regular problems Diesel Particulate Filter regeneration and the resultant oil dilution resulting in far to many oil changes - very expensive with synthetic oils modern diesels require. From what I have been reading I am looking very positively at a Kia Sportage Diesel model. But I am wary of the same problems occurring - does the Kia Sportage Diesel engine have any problems with the Diesel particulate Filter and its regeneration process, does the engine work well in a combination of city and open road running. Having been doing a bit of research it appears a lot of other diesel engine brands do, but I have not read any instances of this problem with the Kia Sportage diesel engines in any of the reviews or forums! I am probably looking 2nd hand at moment with a 2014 or 2015 model. Can anybody confirm one way or another? Much appreciate any feedback

Glen C asked on Dec 03, 2016

Answer this

I have only had the Sportage for less than a month so can't talk about this model. But I had a Sorento diesel (a slightly bigger engine) for five years with no issues despite driving in a variety of conditions - mostly City. I've been told you need to give diesel engines a good run every week to avoid problems but I'm no expert. Hopefully you will get a response that can answer your question. You might also contact the NRMA or another motoring body.

The vehicles that are imported into Aust are not required to have a DPF fitted

They run a different system called catalyzed diesel particulate filter. The system seems to be non intrusive while driving and never felt it kick in either. On the other hand my diesel engine let go at 90k reason unknown, ( kia didn't give an explanation but was replaced under warranty ) You will find with any modern common rail diesel engine running a DPF / EGR and blow by gases getting forced into your engine, the lifespan will only be around 50k- 200k depending how it is driven. Since replacing engine we have gone back to 10k oil changes but looking at oil after draining I will go down to 7.5k oil and filter changes I am just out of warranty so can't afford to replace engine if something goes wrong.

See all 39 questions about Kia Sportage

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details