Date Purchased: Jun 2016

DIY heat pump with existing solar system

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2017

I buy this unit and connect it in series with the solar 370 litre gas booater Euora hot water system, I disconnected the heating element in the chromagen 170 litre, so there will be no chance of using it, which is quite expensive to use electricity to heat up water.

AS a result, a 540 liter system existed with low temp zone and high temp zone in the chromagen.

It work good for 6 months now.

Brisbane

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer

Date Purchased: Apr 2017

An Excellent Hot Water Unit

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2017

After fairly detailed research I replaced a Chromagen Solar Unit ( a piece of rubbish) with a new Midea Heat Pump system. I figured that an air conditioner manufacturer should understand heat pump technology, and so far I am very happy. The unit has an in built timer and allows me to control the running time to during daylight hours when I get the benefit of the solar PV panels. Very tidy looking, easy to use the timer. Quiet operation. I will update when we see the next electricity bill. . . . .

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Has been a great product and has saved me on power costs

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2017

I am very happy having this hot water unit its been a big saving in costs and works wonderful would recommend it to any one interested as you sure will see the difference it makes in your home

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Wantirna South, Victoria

• 3 answers

An excellent product Time will Tell

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 02, 2017

A fantastic product so far,can only comment on a short period of time in operation as is new.However the guys who installed the unit were terrific,very professional,the unit looks great and works well.

So far so good

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2017

I am very happy with this hot water system. Looks good works well my power bill is down. The young men that installed it were fantastic. The company has been very helpful and nice. I would have no problem recommending them.

Works very well

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2016

Our last system was not hot enough to wash the dishes, we had to boil the jug to add to the sink, now we don't. We have a Solar system that runs the Midea 170L during the day.

Brand new and professional installation. Absolutely fantastic.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

Received new hot water service promptly, installed quickly and professionally. Looks new age and not like an ugly add on and works perfect. Purchased as secondary hot water system for visitors bathroom and haven't ran out of hot water yet! Thank you.

excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

Very economical, works well and easy to operate. Takes up little space, much better than the electric heater it replaced. A great government initiative, should be available to more people.

Excellent, works great. Have no issues and always have plenty of hot water.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2016

I recommend installing this unit to anyone considering replacing you old electric hot water unit.
We have had two of these units installed, one domestic and another commercial use.
Their response from my initial contact was very prompt, polite and obliging.
The installation persons (plumber and electrician) were very competent and professional, about an hour to install.
I would be happy to pay full price for these units, if the government rebate was not available.

Quite an improvement over the electric gravity feed hot water system.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2016

We may not have had this unit installed were it not for the government incentives. The unit has exceeded our expectations .The 170 L unit stores More than enough for three to four people.The water temperature is perfect and pressure adequate given we work off tanks and pumps.
The installation was carried out efficiently by two skilled and friendly tradesmen.I have recommended Chromegen to friends as a consequence of my positive experience .

Good product!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2016

I upgraded from a very old electric HWS. Like so many others, I was persuaded by the Government rebate on this unit to proceed with the purchase. I know it is a lot more energy efficient than my old HWS and that makes me feel good. The installation went ahead without any problems and I recommend this unit highly.

EILDON

• 6 helpful votes

Excellent power saver.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2016

I must admit I originally purchased the heat pump because it was free with government rebates. But now after the quick and simple installation I would still have purchased the pump if I had to pay for it.
The power savings and practicality of the unit are excellent.
I have gone from a 400L hot water service to a 170L heater pump with an estimated 70% reduction in my water heating bill.
I'm very happy.

1 of 2 pages

Is the 170 litre unit suitable for the corner of a double garage? Thats where my existing electric hot water system is. Cheers Tanya

Tanya asked on Jun 23, 2017

Hi I have a couple of questions... 1. Is this a storage HWS, or does it need to be attached to solar? 2. How loud is the compressor? 3. Are there STCs available with this unit if it's not on solar? 4. Does it have to be on a timer, or is there an over ride switch to start it up if necessary? 5. Is there an adjustable thermostat? 6. We're on tank water, our water pump has awesome internal pressure, would this affect operation of the unit? 7. What would be an approximate cost and install of the unit? 8. If we install solar panels at a later date, is it onerous to add this unit to them? It looks like our Dux is on the way out (came with the house) and we're looking to replace it with a more Eco-friendly, energy and cost efficient HWS such as this or the Standen. Thanks all for the help.

Bel asked on Jun 01, 2017

Answer this

I have installed heaps over the last five or so years and no complaints as yet , i have prob put in about 150. I DONT WORK FOR CHROMAGEN.
they are a storage system and come in two sizes . they do not need to connect to a solar system . they are very energy efficient . The timer is built in on the front very easy to use. it is the same as a conventioal water heater to install with the same footprint. it is a heatpump the same as a dux but designed totally differently . it would be fine on tank water as the heating part is wrapped around the tank not i it. they are more efficient than dux . they get stc credits. make sure you get the right size unit (170ltr or 280ltr). they are very very quiet .

I have installed heaps over the last few years(5) and no complaints as yet ( about 150),

Does the 170 litre Mideast heat pump have an energy rating?

Don asked on May 30, 2017