Glenwood

• 1 question
  • 3 answers

Date Purchased: Jan 2010

I have owned my thermo chef for 7years. Only problem I have had which NWKA replaced within a couple

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2017

When I first got my machine it was hard taking the blade out, but overtime it became easier. It does everything a thermo mix does. I like it better because the scales are on the side, less chance of putting in the wrong amount of ingredients. Sometimes food sticks but its trial and error but easy to clean. I also bought an extra jug.

Purchased at: Matchbox

Date Purchased: Feb 2015

Great for about 2 years then things went terribly bad

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2017

Worked well for a couple of years, then for no apparent reason an error came up that was not able to be erased. It appears that hese are a throw away item. At $800 we expected a bit more. Wish we had purchased the Thermomix (although we couldnt justify the cost).

Adelaide

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: May 2014

Good alternative to Thermomix

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2016

Bought this unit for approx. $600 at David Jones over 2 years ago and to date have found it quite reasonable.
We hadn't used it for the first 18 months much, but since then used it extensively to make purees, soups, steamed vegies, etc. easily about 4-5 times a week.

The Thermomix recipes can be largely adapted, plus there is another book (Thermostruck) that you can get at BigW etc.
We also bought the international recipe pack extra cards which you but in the binder folder, which I think you can still buy online or at MatchBox

In terms
of service - while we found it initially hard to get support - no response from the web form on the nwka website and the phone number had changed too.
However eventually got onto the present owner / manager Marco, who has been great in resolving problems - especially even the unit has been out of warranty for some time.

- Had issues with base unit and LCD screen unreadable - was replaced totally
- At same time replaced jug for which handle for jug had come loose at top, plus quickly repaired existing one
- When we dropped the above off at the NWKA office, they weren't there at the per-arranged time (in Moorabbin), however left at another factory next door and he personally delivered it to us a couple days later (we are in Melb metro)
- Issues with steamer not fitting the replacement base (as has a larger "tooth"), replaced that a few weeks after as well for free including postage

Of course, there are limitations compared to the Thermomix, such as no reverse function and doesn’t have the finish, but remember this unit is 1/3rd the price as well.
One of the concerns we had when buying the Thermomix would be if we would get the value from it and not just had it sitting in the corner gathering dust.

Probably in hindsight, we may have got the ThermoMix, but then also have seen the various issues in the media and ACCC complaints with this i.e. scalding / burns, requiring new seals, poor customer service with forcing consumers to sign non-disclosure agreements etc., so in two minds there too.

Purchased at: David Jones

useless, waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2016

This was the biggest waste of money. It spent more time in error mode than actually doing anything. I threw it away and upgraded to a thermomix and havent looked back. It was sent back for repairs numerous times within 6 months and still couldnt do basic functions without bringing up error after error

melbourne

Poor value - doesnt last

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2016

We bought a thermochef to replace a blender which had lasted for decades, and after 'investing' $800 in a thermochef (which we only used on occasions - no more than once a week) the metal spindle has broken and there is no way of getting it fixed. We bother replacing a with a new one - may as well buy something cheap if its only going to last a couple of years.

A '1' is too good, don't waste your money on a cheap alternative

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2016

Bought this from Kogan. No instructions came with it so had no idea how to use it. Had to search the net for how to use this machine. First and only time I used it, I made a lovely Chinese chicken dish and great steamed rice but the bowl/jug does not now come off from the base. Rang Kogan who said to ring someone else who said to ring a mobile number of the person who owns the New Wave products. Rang mobile 4 times, last time got a lady who had nothing to do with New Wave. In the meantime, food is now putrid in the bottom of the jug, can't wash since can't get base wet. Under warantee but no one is accepting responsibility for replacement. Everyone can't figure out why jug can't be removed, neither can I.

Purchased at: Kogan.com

Perth

• 2 answers

Wonderful

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2015

I use my Thermo Chef three to four times a week. I cook the same recipes that are created for the thermomix. Thermo chef doesn't have the reverse function. However the recipes are easy to made without the reverse or using a butterfly clip. Not as good as a Thermomix, however for the price difference it is worth it & does the job.

Purchased at: Kitchenware Superstore

Doesn't Last

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2015

I have had my ThermoChef for a few years now and at first i loved it and was glad i didn't buy a Thermomix as the ThermoChef did everything the Thermomix did and didn't cost an arm and leg. As time has gone on it doesn't do things as well. I bought a second jug so I had one for cooking with and the other for food processing. One night a blade broke in the new jug and then a few weeks later the other one blade broke too whilst making risotto.. now i just want to throw the machine at a wall, Kinda wish i had just saved that $800 and put it toward the thermomix now. :(

Private message

Mastered my Thermochef - Finally!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2015

Hi,

I wanted to write this because I recently bought a thermochef in april and have been very frustrated with it. I checked everywhere online to find some kind of resource that will help me but could not find it. Thus, I am writing this in the hope that it will help people who is looking for the answers I am looking for. Like how come my thermochef burns? How come everything I cook turns into mush. And when it burns, I spent so much time cleaning it. It was a nightmare. So here is what I have discovered and let me share with you the tricks
on how to get your thermochef to work to your advantage.

Firstly, it does burn but it will not burn your food. To not let it burn, do not add sugar. Add only at the last minute. To clean a burnt thermochef, simply tilt it over and press the black rubbery thing and it the blade will come out and you can clean it quite simply with a hard sponge.

For not turning food into mush, do not cook chicken breast. It will turn into mush when you turn the speed onto 1, even for 5 minutes of cooking. So if you like boneless, buy chicken drumstick and cut the meat at least 2 inches long. This way, it wont turn to mush. Same for all other meat.

Hope this has helped.

If you are looking for ways to eat healthily and slim down at the same time, check my blog. [link removed] for more info

• 2 helpful votes

Useless

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2015

Had my thermochef for 2 years. First one the motor blew when grating cheese so they replaced it. My second one will not steam. It keeps stopping for no reason. Mine was a gift otherwise I would've gone straight for the thermomix as my sisters have it and I absolutely love it. USELESS!!!!!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 6 pages

How can i remove the blades? The unlock lever will not move from locked position

Geoffrey Baumgart asked on May 24, 2017

Answer this

Turn the jug upside down put one hand inside the jug, with the other hand turn the unlocking mechanism on the bottom anti clockwise. I found it hard for the first few times. And putting it back together is lining up the notches and then turn mechanism clockwise. May take a bit of practice.

Agree 100% with the above - hold the spindle instead of the blades if you can avoid.. If not use a towel or similar on the blades to avoid a cut. :-)
Also found that if you turn it all the way sometimes the jug wont seat properly back in the base and the lock will not engage (click). If so turn it back very slightly (loosen direction) maybe 1mm or so.

Tried this butstill wont budge.

I purchased Thermochef in 2012. Dont use it every day, but when I did, only for pestos, veggie patties etc.. Never cooked in it because it would not feed my whole family due to size of cooking jug. I was using the Thermochef the other day. The machine stopped half way through and E2 error message came up - apparently overheating. Strange - I was only blending chickpeas and vegetables for 15 seconds. Now, I turn on my machine - E2 still appears. Tried to email NewWave but emails bounced. Where do I make contact with somebody who can assist me with repairs in Queensland (Sunshine Coast) - or is the machine stuffed. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Lewey asked on Apr 26, 2017

Answer this

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your machine. Mine was a problem from the get go and definitely disappointed me in every way. Apparently New Wave have gone into liquidation so I don't think you will get a response from them in regards to your machine.
Good luck

Thanks Nanna Nic - I guess mine will become a piece of expensive upcycled junk in my garden!! Its not good when there is no backup from companies who sell product and then go into liquidation, and leave customers in the lurch. I have now gone back to the old faithful Breville... again, thanks. x

Hi - bought one new - in box still in plastic - saying never used - now find out plus button dont work ?? any where to get it fixed in melbourne ? tried website email - error failed tried 1300 number - back of reccipie book failed Cheers Husband with very dissapointed wife : x

Dave asked on Apr 07, 2017