Filter By:

Terrible!!! Stay away

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2017

Terrible!!! Stay away. No one is listening, they make it awful to claim. Spent so many hours with useless "consultants" on the phone.

You want the extra's.... get ready for a long ride.

You want to claim personal trainer or gym? Good luck with that. (spent months and hours till we gave up).

Moved on to another company, claims are so easy, getting better with extras...

Worst Health Insurance Available

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2017

NIB pay surgeons / anaesthetists etc only a fraction above the medicare rebate, far less than all other insurers except for Latrobe, so your out of pocket costs are FAR higher. Change straight away to a proper insurance company!!

Wangi Wangi

Private message

Cancel but not actioned. No refund

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2017

I signed up with NIB for less than a week. Then found a better deal and called NIB to cancel and get refund of first month premium which had already been charged to my credit card. I was told that would be cine and it would be processed. No crexit appeared so i called about week or so later to again be assured that the cover was cancelled and recund would be made.
So today I call again as no credit has appeared. Lovely customer service lady was very apologetic saying she could see record of previous calls but a new monthly debit would go to m
y card tonight.....for the policy that i cancelled 3 weeks ago.
She passed the message to the cancellation department and assured me they would call. But to date no call.
So they now have about 450 of my money for cover that does not exist.
Absolutely disgraceful i think.
Next stop is the Private health insurance ombudsman
In such a competitive market seems like NIB have little idea of customer service.
Good luck to anyone who signs with them

Insurance claim made

No point in having cover. Better off without it!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2017

I paid extra for the most comprehensive policy. I went on a snowboarding trip and dislocated my shoulder. It was popped back in at the mountain's medical centre. I phoned NIB asking if I could go to the private centre down the bottom of the mountain for the shoulder x-rays, they said no, it had to be the public centre (as part of this would be coveted by ACC). The x rays were covered by ACC but the initial doctors visit was not ($200). They said they would not cover it because it was a 'mountain rescue'. When I told them it was simply the mount ain's hospital, it was not a rescue, they told me it didn't matter. When I asked whether if I needed surgery/CT scans etc that this would be covered they said no. When I asked them why, they said because it is under ACC. When I asked whether any excess over what ACC would pay for would be covered, they said no! Let's be honest, I'm 27 years old. They only things I am likely to be claiming for at this age are 'accidents'. If my health care happily let's ACC foot the bill but won't even cover the difference I am out of pocket, what is the point of insurance. I have paid for the initial mountain consult and numerous physio appointments even though my policy covered physio. They never paid me a cent. I cancelled my policy that day. Waste of money.

Very bad customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 03, 2017

I only joined NIB online for half an hour. I decided not to join. I immediate sent an email to NIB to cancel my joining. I even rang them up but their team was busy. I left a message to ask them to get someone to call me back. But I did not receive any call after 5 days. Now I received a message from my current health insurer saying that they are going to cancel my membership. I am very angry. Never ever think of joining NIB. Very bad customer service!!!!!!!!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Just switched from Medibank due to price increase

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 31, 2017

I've yet to actually claim on my cover.
I'm believing that the Medibank to nib transfer will go smoothly.
Staff in offices are a bit hit and miss with their knowledge and attitude

Balaclava, VIC

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Cancelled but still direct debited account - I'd call that theft!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 24, 2017

The cancellation process was arduous, still took payment after we switched providers and apparently because it's 'their' busy period i had to wait on hold forever rather than allowing me to cancel through their online chat. Seems redundant to have it available if you can't actually do anything on chat. Poor customer experience.

Disappointed in NIB Customer Service Feb 2017

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 17, 2017

Been a NIB Member for 20+ years.Having another baby. (4) separate occasions CS Staff were argumentative and dissmissive over trivial queries. Looked elsewhere and found a much better deal for my family

Discusting

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

Well I've been a member with nib for around 20 years and I've now left them. I'm so disappointed in how they shut many branches down and moved some services off shore. Ah that's their secret. Contacting them by phone is almost impossible, their premiums are ridiculously increased over the board and I'd suggest all member to see just what you're covered for. I'm a male and found i was covered for many IMPOSSIBLY things and really not much i needed at all. Doubt I'll be having a baby soon joke. Ridiculous absolutely discusted in their fees, etc. discusting.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 43 comments
  • 6 questions
  • 26 answers
  • 188 helpful votes

27% increase in premium over the last 3 years

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2017

Look at inflation, look at wage growth. 27% in a 3 year period is nothing but gouging your ever decreasing client base. You'll go out of business and you'll wonder why

Sydney

Happy with NIB

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2017

Customer Service I received was really good, every time I called they were very helpful to help me out with all my questions. Both of the girls who helped me were really good. So well done to both of the customer service girls for helping me out. I am now only paying for things I use with the Extras rather then paying for things I didn't use with my other provider. The cost with NIB is less as well but getting better value.

Great so far :)

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 01, 2017

As I have only just joined nib, I haven't had a chance to claim anything yet due to the waiting periods, but just the helpfulness of staff during the welcome call, finding the relevant information online, plus the ease of the app and just everything in general compared to other insurance companies, I have already been recommending nib to friends because it definitely meets and exceeds my needs for insurance and peace of mind.

1 of 24 pages

Does nib cover lipoma removal?

Adem asked on Mar 27, 2017

Hi, can be able to change cover from Allianz to NIB. Am covered for two years.Jan- 2017 - Feb 2019. I want to know how much it will cost to cover a family, and if my allianz global assistance can transfer my remaining credit? I have been here for less than two months now.

Glad asked on Feb 23, 2017

Answer this

Hi Glad, switching insurers is often possible unless you are in a contract. My suggestion is that you speak to NIB for switching as well as for transferring the credits. If you switch, NIB would work on your behalf for transferring from Allianz.
Costs differ on family circumstances and for the kind of coverage you want. Insurers' team members would be able to give you few quotes. Do remember to shop around as you might get better deals elsewhere.
I am just surprised that no one from NIB has answered your question.

Hi do they cover Lipoma removal?

Abbeyrose asked on Jan 20, 2017

Answer this

It is a very basic procedure and I am sure that it will be covered, but you may still incur out of pocket expenses.

See all 20 questions about NIB Health Insurance