Froothie has recently been encouraging their customers to write reviews. These reviews adhere to ProductReview’s Incentivised Customer Reviews Guidelines and may explain a spike in review numbers.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Great for smoothies/soups/vegan milks, not so much for other things

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2016

I've had this blender for around a year now. It definitely is awesome for smoothies (although, if you like yours on the thicker side, using frozen foods for example, or not adding much liquid, it will struggle a bit) and soups : it doesn't leave bits of kale or tougher ingredients such as nuts and seeds. It is also really good for making vegan milks (I only make oat milk) and your own flours (I've tried oat and wheat flour). Of course the flours won't be as fine as they would be with a flour mill, but it is good nonetheless.

This blender bec
omes a bit of a pain when you either want to make something that is not liquid, but more pasty, and things like dough, or when you want to make small quantities of something.
Nut butters take a bit of time to make, with a lot of scraping, it's probably around 15 min. The problem is not the power of the blender but the size and shape of the container. I've made hazelnut and peanut butter and while it did work, I quickly had to stop the blender and scrape the contents down towards the blade, every few seconds, which is annoying and takes more time. If you try with too small a quantity (I had measured but I can't remember now, probably around 150g of nuts), don't even try. I've made really thick smoothies (for smoothie bowls), where you basically put all frozen ingredients and little liquid, and the blender did struggle a bit. And when making banana ice cream, same thing, it can struggle a bit and, leading to my next point, don't even try it if you don't use 3 bananas at once.
When it comes to the quantity you have to make, it can be a lot to the point where for some things, I just don't make them. Think sauces or dips (pesto, hummus, salsa, garlic or ginger paste), but also preparations like falafels and other bean burgers. Everything gets stuck to the sides and you have to scrape a lot. The tamper tool can help, but not with things like I've mentioned, because it simply won't get to the sides where you actually need to scrape. And if you want to make single servings of your favourite recipes, it simply won't work. I don't have enough basil to make more pesto, so I simply can't make it with this blender, and I can't buy enough nuts or seeds to make pastes/butters easily, because they're expensive ! And when you make something that is not liquid, it is such a pain to take out of the blender, cause it's really tall and narrow, with flat sides. With a long-handled spoon and a silicone spatula I usually can get my falafel preparations out, with a bit of effort, but sticky date paste and nut butters are trickier.
I haven't tried making pie crust, pasta dough or cake batters, because I have a feeling it would be a disaster and a waste of time and food.

I had the 9200A, which I do not recommend, the speed settings are simply not convenient at all, and switched, within a few weeks, to the 9400 which is much better. I've kept it because I make a lot of smoothies, soups and vegan milk, but I often curse it when I try to make other things with it ! At least, it was cheaper than the Vitamix. But if you ONLY want to make regular smoothies & soups with your blender, and I do insist on ONLY, then get a cheaper one really. And if you want to make a lot of pastes, dips, nut butters, or chopping things up, I'd say get a food processor.

Purchased at: Froothie

Comments
Optimum Appliances Official

Hello Camille, great to hear you are enjoying your Optimum 9400 for smoothies, soups, vegan milks and flour :) Making thick smoothies and nut butters, as well as anything thick, is very simple wit... read more »

Thank you for answering my review. And thank you for the tips as well. This is excellent customer service !

Camille

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2016

So easy and so powerful

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2016

I started green smoothies about 9 months ago and have been using a Kenwood blender which came as part of a food processor. Haven't used too many blenders in my life i thought that how the Kenwood behaved was just how a normal blender would including being very noisy and chewy smoothies.
Then the Kenwood started to leak, and then one morning it just went everywhere and i didn't want to damage the base any further as still want to use the processor attachment with it. So decided to start shopping around.
Asked a few people at work and someone v
ouched for the breville kinetic, then looked on product review and saw complaints (just like many others) and didn't want to part over $200 for a blender that gives me problem. Then a few searches later I came across Optimum, spend quite a while reading up about it and bite the bullet and ordered myself a 8200 (with $50 off promo code from couponation) despite wanting a 9400 but couldn't justify the cost.
Then a day later i got an email for an offer to upgrade my order to 9400 with an additional $99! so i went and upgraded.
Its only been a week so can't comment on longevity but performance so far has been amazing, didn't know a green smoothie can be this smooth no grit no seeds no chewy bits. The machine is less noisy than the old Kenwood but waaaay more powerful. I have done nut milk from it and its sooooo nice, frothy and smooth. So thoughtful Froothie also included a nut milk bag! Even husband was commenting on how much quieter this machine is compared to the Kenwood. Easy to use and easy to clean. It does look big on the bench but not as big as i originally thought however if you have little bench space you might like to put it away after each use.
The blender is solid and sturdy and have tried frozen fruits in it and handled with no problem whatsoever, sometimes when i put quite a bit of hard fruits in i will need to use the stick to nudge things towards the blade but nothing major. Most of the time with a combo of spinach and frozen raspberries and frozen mango it will just do its own thing without my help.
Loving this thing so far, I don't know how much better a vitamix is but really I think the 9400 does what i need it to do and more, my friend has a vitamix and it was well over $700 and I just could not afford that on a blender.
I am sure though if i had bought the 8200 it will just do the jobs as nice, but now i have a 9400 i am just that tad happier getting what i wanted in the first place :) it surely didn't disappoint!

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Great machine! Great value!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2016

I purchased a refurbished Optimum 9400 from the Froothie website. I was told the refurbished machines are the ones they use for product demos and they have only been used 20-30 times before they are being sold. The machine arrived in perfect condition, everything was like new, if I didn't know it had been used I wouldn't have been able to tell. I love the machine, everything is very well made, it's simple and easy to use, no high tech electric functions means not much can go wrong or break in the future. The smoothies come out beautifully! Very happy! Highly recommended!

ransom@melbpc.org.au

• 2 comments
  • 16 answers
  • 23 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

Industrial brutal but just works

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2016

The optimum 9400 is basically a commercial machine. If it was actually designed then it was done by an engineer. So when you get to understand the controls it is beautifully functional - but not beautiful unless you like industrial-brutal. It is big – the base/motor contains a very powerful motor of around double the volume of the Sunbeam Café Series blender that it replaced. The blades are positioned around 2cm above the base so realistically you wouldn’t want to try and prepare anything less than around 500ml. If you want to display it as par t of your normal kitchen then forget it – it’s simply too big and visually overpowering. If you want to chop small items get a cheap stick mixer/chopper from any mass outlet.

Live with its industrial-brutal design and its 500ml minimum content and it works brilliantly.

My favourite summer drink is simply to empty a tray of icecubes in, add half a litre of milk and whatever flavourings (fruit, syrup etc) I want, run it for 20 seconds or so to smash the ice then add a scoop or two of icecream and a five second run (the icecream will spread through the ice slush but not melt) and you’ve got a very refreshing, very creamy, frozen slush/milkshake.

My daughter uses it for smoothies .. whatever mixture of fruit and vegetables and seeds etc strikes her fancy. All reduce to something she drinks and claims delicious – I’m a little cynical..

It wasn’t cheap but in the two years we’ve had it there wouldn’t have been more than a handful of days when it wasn’t used. It’s one of those rare devices that you worry about the price up front then, after you’ve used it for a while, it becomes so much a part of your life that you can’t remember how much you paid.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

• 2 answers

Verified Purchase

Used every other day to make nut milk and it's a dream

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 02, 2016

I am so glad I bought this blender. Had it for about a year, use it regularly and sometimes with quite hard things that gives the blades/motor a work out but she always comes through! Blend frozen fruit for kids ice-cream, make nut milk, general puréeing, raw treats. Have shorted out the motor a couple of times but there's a trip switch at the bottom and after giving it a bit of time to cool down it's been fine.
I have recommended this blender to all my friends, two of them have also bought it and are very happy also.
My only criticism would be that it has a plastic jug which after a year of being battered around with nuts, is a bit scuffed. A glass jug would be ideal.

Optimum 9400

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2016

It seems OK, maybe I was expecting big things. I find if blending ice it seems to struggle getting going. Also seem to have to use the stick a lot to get everything moving to try to blend up. Maybe am use to a more heavy duty commercial machine which seem to have no problems blitzing everything without any input from me.

Comments
Optimum Appliances Official

Hello Vince, based on your feedback your Optimum 9400 may be faulty. Please contact me directly at francois@froothie.com.au or on 03 8609 2210 and I will personally attend to the matter to have it ... read more »

Melb

Verified Purchase

The best blender I have ever used and I've tried a few!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 03, 2016

I purchased this blender a few months ago, and I couldn't be happier with it - especially after my horrible experience with other brands. I purchased the nutribullet last year and it blew up after only 3 months of home use! Then I purchased another blender from another big known brand for $300 and after a few uses it gave off a toxic burning smell that filled the house. I was so disappointed with those brands and the lack of value for money of these heavily marketed products, so I began to research blenders and I came across Froothie! aah
The
Optimum 9400 is miles and miles ahead of other blenders on the market. I have used industrial blenders before, and the quality of this Optimum 9400 is exactly that - an industrial grade product at a fraction of the cost.
It purees my smoothies perfectly - the taste is brilliant, and the texture is soo smooth! I look forward to making my smoothies each morning because of this product - honestly don't waste your money on the other brands - this is truly an exceptional product!

Great powerful blender

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 29, 2016

The Optimum 9400 has been a joy to use the last couple of months since I have it. Have used it nearly everyday to make all sorts of smoothies and soups. The jug is well made and easy to clean and is more durable and a lot lighter compared to glass jugs. A big plus in my opinion.

The only thing that was below my expectations with this blender is how smooth runs. With the jug empty distinct rattling noise is emitted when running at the lower speeds. When the jug filled this rattling noise damps out a bit, but still remains quite noticeable. Even though this does not affect the blend results it still influences the overall experience of the machine, that's why I've rated it 4 out of 5.

• 1 question
  • 7 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

Best investment ever for healthy life

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2015

I have never imagined that blender can be this powerful. I mostly use it for smoothies, soups and almond milk. You can put chunk of any vegetable, fruits and in few seconds whizzzzz --- great smoothie is ready. Motor and blade is so strong and powerful, no other normal brand can match it, I think there would be very few rival to match performance of Optimum. Jar is big and cleaning is easy too.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

edithvale

Verified Purchase

This Is The Best Blender!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2015

Melbourne

• 1 answer
  • 14 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

I test blenders for a living - the Froothie Optimum 9400 blender is the one that I own though

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2015

I'm a Nutriitonal Food Scientist. For my research I assess how food processing affects nutrient release in smoothies and purees. While I have access to some of the most expensive lab grade blenders, I personally own a Froothie Optimum 9400 blender. I've used everything from common household appliances like Breville and Sunbeam to Vitamix, Nutribullet and Waring. The quality of the Optimum 9400 blender and the products that are produced from this blender are at a minimum on par if not much better with more expensive blenders like Vitamix. It out strips the Nutribullet. The motor keeps on going - no kidding. Based on my own experience and research into blenders, not only do I own 1 for myself personally, I also have 2 Optimum 9400 blenders in our sensory test kitchen at The University of Melbourne - it is such a great blender.
Purees, smoothies, soups, nut butters, omelette batters, pancake mix, protein pudding desserts, minced meats, you name it, it can do it.
As a personal owner: I totally recommend this blender. As a research scientist, l would have no qualms recommending this blender above the other brands and food processors that I have researched.

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 6 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

Not as good as it's supposed to be I'm afaid

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2015

I have been very disappointed with the Froothie Optimum 9400. Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly but I'm not impressed with it at all as others seem to be. I looked at a lot of reviews before purchasing.
I find it does not make smoothies very well. . It is very hard to get stuff out because of the height and narrow bottom of jug. Also I have had no success trying to mince even the smallest amount of chicken or beef - I understood that this was possible. Even breadcrumbs test it.
I've had to reset nearly every time I've used it for longer than say 15-20 seconds.
I was looking forward to using it but I'm afraid it was a complete waste of money for me.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Optimum Appliances Official

Hi Mazza! We are very sorry to hear about your experience with the Optimum 9400. As per the thousands of online reviews globally, the issues you are facing are very unusual. The Optimum 9400 shoul... read more »

Optimum Appliances Official

Hello Mazza, I received your private message on Product Review that things seem to have improved with your blender If you experience any further issues or believe the unit is faulty, please contac... read more »

I am getting on a bit better with the Optimum and some issues have been resolved. I would like everyone who reads my review to know that this company has offered me a replacement or refund. They ... read more »

1 of 57 pages