Filter By:

wollongong

• 3 comments
  • 3 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Good while it lasted - leaving today.

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2017

I've been with Peoplecare for about 5-6 years on their top hospital and extras. Paid many thousands over the years and claimed very little, but I felt secure knowing that if I did need a major claim I would be fine.

From the few claims I have made the process has mostly been painless and it is great to call and get a local person.

However, as with other health funds prices have gone up a lot since a couple of years ago, the latest increase quite steep. On top of that I have had my employment hours cut basically in half. I now rely largel
y on Government benefit to pay rent, food, etc... really hard currently, until my work picks up again in a few months. I called Peoplecare about a temporary suspension, BUT, I don't qualify unless I'm totally unemployed. Despite experiencing financial hardship under the pure definition I do not meet their definition/criteria. So I had to decide whether or not to forego my 2 shifts a week at work and become totally reliant on Centrelink in order to meet Peoplecare's criteria and therefore be granted a suspension, keeping all my served waiting periods etc... or be forced to totally cancel my membership and then in a few months join again (maybe not Peoplecare) and reserve all the waiting periods again?

I have decided to cancel because I think it would be foolish and unfair to taxpayers for me to deliberately forego work and rely on Centrelink.

Anyway, obviously Peoplecare have their reasons for such criteria, I suspect it might be to deter anyone trying to exploit them in some way, although I can't think how right now. Nonetheless, I now feel I have wasted thousands of dollars over many years and I certainly don't feel like Peoplecare actually do care.

Goodbye private health insurance... and having worked in Private Health Care myself I have personally witnessed so many things wrong with the whole private system that I often think a person is better off in the public system for most medical issues.

Cheers!

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Pookie, Thanks for choosing to be with Peoplecare for the last 5-6 years and it’s great to hear you have been happy with our service and claims. I’m really sorry to hear that you’re having a h... read more »

• 12 comments
  • 49 helpful votes

I can't complain...

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 07, 2017

We have been with them since 2012. During this time, we had 2 child births plus couple of other claims. All our claims were promptly settled. Compared to what we paid in 2012, we now pay $1000 more. I think it is the case with all health funds out there. I still think they are quite reasonable compared to the service we received.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Thanks so much for the review, Sanjeeva! I’ll be sure to pass on your lovely feedback to the team and I hope we can continue to make you happy for many years to come. Take care, Brooke @ Peoplecare

Melbourne

• 2 helpful votes

Don't feel valued!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 03, 2017

Just had our premium increase by 6%! Been with Peoplecare for 5 years and obviously they feel we don't qualify for the average increase. We even have the top cover. Feeling a bit taken for granted by them to be honest.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Ian, as a member owned, not-for-profit fund, Peoplecare puts the best interests of our members at the heart of everything we do. You’ve noticed your premium increase is slightly more than the av... read more »

kariong

• 5 comments
  • 4 helpful votes

getting expensive....

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 02, 2017

Just joined this fund a month ago to save some private fund cost and received a letter stating that my premiums will increase by 8.2% for the new year...this is $400 extra. The company is doing well with total equity up by 10.5% while cash flow is up 10.2% for the 2016 FY and so I am struggling to see the sense in the huge premium increase.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Carel, Thanks for the comment and we agree that rising healthcare costs and health insurance premiums are an issue for all health funds in Australia. In short, we need to keep up with healthca... read more »

Hi Rosita, Thanks for the reply. I understand the increase in benefit payouts...but this will be partly due to the increase in new members making claims. Now, these new members are paying premiums... read more »

Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Carel, Thanks for your observations. Our average premium increase at 5.09% this year was very close to the health fund industry average and has been lower than the industry average over the ... read more »

Sydney

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

Admin hell

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 21, 2017

I had a claim repeatedly rejected. It was a simple case, I had symptoms caused by taking antibiotics, backed up by declarations from both my GP and specialist. I had no symptoms prior to taking the antibiotics.

Peoplecare categorised this as a pre-existing condition. I provided a large quantity of medical information, which wasn't deemed sufficient to prove I didn't already have the condition. I don't know what other information I could have given. The review process is opaque and the 'medical' expert reviewing the information does not appear to be objective, or impartial.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi MJay, I’m sorry to hear you’re not happy about our pre-existing condition process, which is one all health funds have in place as part of the 12 month waiting period for hospital cover for ne... read more »

Thanks Anita. The issue here is administration. My case was flagged after my specialist entered a Peoplecare form incorrectly. Reviewing the form, the specialist had to enter 3 dates AND prov... read more »

Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi again MJay, Firstly, I’m really sorry to hear you’re still unwell and hope things are looking up for you soon. Thanks for the feedback about our form, which we’ll take into consideration t... read more »

• 1 helpful vote

Intravenous Vitamin C (IVC) Drip Infusions

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2017

Hi, Vitamin C (IVC)
Does anyone know of a Private Health Insurance fund that covers Intravenous Vitamin C (IVC) Drip Infusions ? Wonderful aid for prevention of colds and flu. I have also found it a marvelous as a energy booster when administered (by Medical Dr.) in high doses of Vitamin C.

Shame,Shame on Govt for NOT providing a Medicare Item No. and Rebate.

Public Hospitals should readily make it available to the public.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Thanks for the question, Juicy! This can be a tricky one! Many infusions aren’t claimable from health funds, but Peoplecare pays a benefit on infusions if they contain a prescription medicine and t... read more »

SA

• 3 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

Fantastic value

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 09, 2017

I joined up with Peoplecare shortly before needing 4 wisdom teeth out, I sent through a photo of my invoice for the procedure just before I went in the chair and by the time I was brought back out of general anaesthesia they had processed my claim, totalling $1,500, no questions asked. Unfortunately I had to cancel my cover shortly after due to finances which I feel quite guilty about considering how great they were. Their prices vs benefits were the most competitive I could find and the promptness of refunds was excellent.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Awww, thanks Lia! Always glad when we can help out. Take care - Brooke @ Peoplecare

• 7 comments
  • 18 answers
  • 42 helpful votes

This is the best for us

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2016

Our family have been insured by them for over 6 years, the cover we have no longer is available to new costumers but even the new ones they have are still good value. The one thing that sold us our policy was it had the ambulance cover Australia wide included in the extras.
We have no means to pay for a full hospital cover so we only have extras. Over the years we had to use the ambulance a couple of times, you get the bill, email it or send it to them, they do the rest. If you have a question, they are very knowledgeable and you don't wait 10
min to talk to someone, they don't have answering machine system either. You talk to people.
The other point is that it is a member own health funds, so they cover their cost nothing more, they don't make profit on your back. Our policy has increased over the years but not as fast as the other ones. It is clear what your entitlement are and you can always check with them before hand. The benefits are in the high range for our policy, people are always surprise to see how much we get back.
Every year I check if my policy is still good to my expectations, and every year I still am better off sticking with them.
So you should consider changing over, or just get a quote from them, and compare what you will get back for the thing you will need the most...

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Awwww jpcntti, you’re making us blush! Thanks so much for your kind words, we love hearing that we’ve been able to help when you’ve needed it most – it gives us all the warm & fuzzies. Fingers cros... read more »

I only write reviews when I think it is necessary, deserved or earned. I realised that we have been with Peoplecare for so long and I never made a review on the services. I have talk to people abou... read more »

Excellent product and service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2016

Great value for my policy. Very impressed with my cover and the price compated to others in the market. Excellent customer service - always friendly and ready to help! Love that they are not-for-profit :)

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Thanks so much Lauren, this is what we love to hear! We’re all about keeping our members happy. I’ll be sure to pass on your lovely feedback to the team. Take care! – Brooke @ Peoplecare

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Peoplecare have been great

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2016

We changed to Peoplecare because they were cheaper than our previous health provider and they have exceeded all our expectations. They covered many items not covered by other insurance providers and have been lovely to deal with. Each time we ring we talk to a real person without having to push a lot of buttons and my husband just received a call after recent surgery offering him a heap of services that are free under this cover. Can't recommend them highly enough.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Aww you're making us blush, Sandy! Thanks so much for the kind words, I'll be sure to pass them on to the lovely Peoplecarers you've spoken to so they know what a positive impact they've made. Take care! - Lauren @ Peoplecare

• 5 answers
  • 13 helpful votes
Private message

Good but get differing answers with benefit amounts

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2016

I recently rang and was told that i would 80% of cost up to $1500 for a sleep apnea machine, only to be told 2 days later no it was only $800 so very disappointed

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Paul63, we're all about giving our members the correct information so would love to look into this further. Would you mind sending us a private message with your details so we can jump on it. Thanks, Rosita @ Peoplecare

Not clear on othopaedic

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2016

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Patricia, I spoke with our Peoplecarers today and they tell me that this misunderstanding has been cleared up. Your benefit definitely reset on 1 July and your claim will be paid as soon as it's... read more »

1 of 5 pages

Looking to move from HCF after 20 years. Currently have their corporate hospital cover and gold extras. Family of 7. Can you advise what the benefits are of moving to you?

explorer2203 asked on Apr 24, 2017

Answer this

Hi explorer2203, we sure can look at a cover that suits your family!

There are many benefits if you join the Peoplecare family.
- Because we’re not for profit, we’re all about you. Our staff love answering the phone in person, and we love giving you simple answers to your questions.
- We have great benefits for dental, optical, physio, chiro and natural therapies.
- We have arrangements with over 30,000 doctors and 500 private hospitals around Australia.
- We also have Medical Gap cover with participating doctors.

In regards to your cover, we offer 3 levels of Hospital and 4 levels of Extras. To help us find the right cover for you, we will need know if you’re wanting to compare to your current cover with HCF? If not, just let us know what you want to be covered for and we’ll look at a cover that suits you.

Also with your family of 7, if anyone of your dependants are over the age of 21 and are studying fulltime they can remain on your cover for no extra premium. If they’re not studying and are still dependant on you, your cover would increase to Family Plus which is an additional 30% added to the family premium. The maximum age a dependant can remain on your cover is 25.

If you would like us to call and go through our covers, please give us a buzz on 1800 808 700 or private message us your details and a time and date that would suit you best and I’ll get one of our experts to give you a buzz.

I hope this helps! Take care – Rosita @ Peoplecare

Have you got an office in Coffs Harbour NSW

Pooney asked on Apr 04, 2017

Answer this

Thanks for getting in touch, Pooney! As a not for profit we are always looking at ways to keep our costs in check so we only have one head office in Wollongong (just south of Sydney) but there are plenty of easy ways to deal with us. You can always give us a buzz on 1800 808 700 - our staff love a good chat or you can flick us an email at info@peoplecare.com.au and we’d be happy to help. Take care, Brooke @ Peoplecare

I am considering changing our health insurance and I live in Adelaide. Do your health insurance cover working with many doctors or hospitals in Adelaide? Do you need to go to certain doctors or clinic to get a better benefit? Do you have an office or branch in Adelaide?

stella asked on Apr 03, 2017

Hi Stella

Thanks for getting in touch.

Peoplecare has agreements with most private hospitals (98%) across Australia. These agreements make sure that a contracted schedule of fees (including in-patient accommodation, theatre and special unit accommodation) is charged by the hospital and paid by Peoplecare on our member’s behalf.

We don’t have preferred providers, so you are able to choose whatever doctor you like. We do however have a scheme called Access Gap with over 30,000 doctors. This program aims to reduce the gap between the Medicare fee and what doctors actually charge. Doctors can choose to take part in Access Gap on a case-by-case basis, and if they do take part you'll have either no gap or known gap (where you'll be told exactly what your out-of-pocket costs will be).

If you like, you can search for participating hospitals or doctors in Adelaide on our website here: https://www.peoplecare.com.au/find-a-provider

As a not for profit we are always looking at ways to keep our costs in check so we only have one head office in Wollongong (just south of Sydney) but there are plenty of easy ways to deal with us:
• Give us a buzz - our staff love answering the phone in person and helping our members
• Online - you can access your membership anytime you need to with our 24-hour Online Member Services
• Mobile Claiming – download our app and your claims can be on their way to us in record time
• EFTPOS Style Claiming – just swipe your membership card at participating providers and we’ll pay your benefits straight to the provider. You’ll only pay any difference between what they charge an your benefit and you won’t have to submit a claim form.

If you would like any more information, please let us know.

Take care,