Verified Purchase Construction End Date: Nov 2016

This is Great

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 22, 2016

The build was very professionally managed, the customer support was above and beyond what I expected and the workmanship and build quality was exceptional. I was treated with complete respect through out a very long design process and this attitude from PJ Burns staff made the whole process of designing and planning a new home as exciting as a new home build should be.

Curramore, QLD

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

Our country dream home!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2015

It's been a 12 month journey from when my hubby and and I decided to put our home on the market and resign from our well paid careers in North Qld. We chose to return home to raise our children in the country on my husbands family farm in beautiful Curramore Qld. Our first initial experience with PJ Burns started off a little hectic as our initial sales manager quite frankly annoyed the crap out of us as he was a little impatient and not transparent with pricing our quote. However this sales person no longer works with PJ Burns and our new sale s person Megan Gail was the best thing that happened for us as well as PJ Burns I believe. I was determined to stay with PJ Burns because of their reputation and quality workmanship! We are currently at lock up stage with our dream home and I just couldn't be happier with the progress of our build and the staff have been awesome, I would recommend to build with PJ Burns if you are after a quality and professional building team and an affordable option with standard inclusions that are really nice and some are even upgrades with other building company's. What you see is what you get with the team at PJ Burns, my family and I couldn't be happier so far. I can't wait to get my keys to my new home in a few weeks as its been a bit of a journey getting here but it's well worth it for us.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Brisbane

• 3 comments
  • 10 answers
  • 10 helpful votes
Private message

It doesn't get better than that!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2013

+ Innovative design, completed ahead of time, on budget, excellent quality.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Ferny Hills

• 2 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 10 helpful votes
Private message

Good build, but soured by their refusal to fix a problem

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2013

PJ Burns designed and built our home. With careful supervision they did a good job. However, when reinstating the roadside kerb their sub contractors placed backing concrete too close to the surface . Now the grass won't grow over this area of insufficient soil cover. Burns denies this is any responsibility of theirs, although the defective work was done by their contractors.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

As a result of my review, PJs have reconsidered and have now rectified the concrete defect.

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Very Happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2013

We've just built with PJ Burns in Hervey Bay and they're very good!! We live in Brisbane and couldn't always get up to the Bay for regular checks on the progress.
From day one, [Personal Name Removed] our sales consultant who we spent much time with us, often via phone or even email, couldn't help us enough. Very professional and approachable and she really cares about the customer!! We looked through many plans with [Personal Name Removed] to get the right one for us and also our block. Of course, there is the budget also to think about a
nd PJ Burns has so many plans to suit everyone in that regard.
After visiting various display homes and finally deciding on a plan we loved, [Personal Name Removed] then put so much time into changing it for us, as we had some issues with our land, due to where the sewer line ran (being an older block and not usually an issue with new blocks). However, we got around all of that and still have a lovely home that we're very happy with.
[Personal Name Removed] our building supervisor, was extremely good and very easy to communicate with, even via phone. If there was anything that we were concerned about at all, they would always follow it up and do something about it. They would make sure that you were happy with the progress and if not, do something to amend it. [Personal Name Removed] sent us photos on the progress of the build, which was also great.
Would highly recommend the PJ Burns team in Hervey Bay!!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Easy process and really nice and supporting staffs

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2013

This is our first 3 bedroom home built by pj burns. Wouldnt have built if we had not met [name removed] , who was so supportive and encouraging that we made our mind to build. The process was smooth apart from the color selection day.. Where we only had one day but we asked for one more day which we were given but still wish now that we did not get enough time to make our selections.. All the process was made easy by pj burns.. We had really helpful supervisor [name removed] who helped and answered phone calls at any time..had lot of patience to answer our stupid questions..

Eventhough the final look of the house is not as we thought.. We have got to consider that the block was narrow .. But, we could have worked a bit more on the outlook of the house like the angle and length of the roof.. Working with experienced architects. we expected and assumed it would look nice and high but when compared to the neighbours.. realised could have been higher and much better..We had few problems like leaking taps and sinks which were fixed eventually.. Thanks to [name removed]!
This house is definitely not our dream house but we wish we had spent more time on planing of the house.. As first time building.. We put everything on pj burns..and ive got to admit that they did the best they could..

+ Friendly and supportive staffs.. Easy process..

- Retaining wall was not put up high enough which caused our back yard to be very steep.. Ended up putting another retaining wall increasing our cost.. If only we knew that would be the case, we would have made changes before we signed the contract.. Bit costly compare to other builders.

Mooloolaba, Queensland

• 1 comment
  • 6 helpful votes

Selected review Construction End Date: Dec 2012

A Mixed Bag

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 31, 2012

-- Update: November 2016 --

After not quite 4 years in our home, I've decided that unfortunately I need to come and update this review for a couple of reasons. The first is that we've encountered some issues with the property, such as:

1. A burst water pipe.
2. A sink drain that became stuck in the 'closed' position.
3. Shower taps that fail to stop the flow of water.

And the second is that actually getting PJ Burns to tend to any of these problems has been a nightmare. I could forgive and forget if they'd actually fix these pr
oblems promptly when we report them.

But what actually happens is that my partner sends them a polite e-mail reporting the problem and requesting that they fix it, and then they respond saying that they have no intention of doing so and/or accuse us of causing the problems ourselves (sorry, but why on Earth would I be digging up the water pipes, PJ Burns???). Then I have to get involved and firmly explain things they should already know, such as the terms of the QBCC warranty and their obligations under Australian consumer law. Then some weeks later they admit that I'm right and fix the problem. In the case of the burst pipe, at least (we ended up with a sizeable sinkhole on our property thanks to PJ Burns's procrastination, and did they bother to do anything about that? Of course not). Or they just go silent, as in the case of the other two issues.

Now I've got an unusable sink and a leaking shower in a house that's not even 4 years old, and PJ Burns couldn't care less. This is unacceptable, and I'm probably going to have to drag in the QBCC, the Office of Fair Trading, the ACCC, and possibly even QCAT before the problem is solved. Because it's not like I have anything better to do with my time.

So I'm deducting 1 star for the fact that these issues occurred in the first place, and 1 star for the builder's appalling lack of post-build support and service and complete unwillingness to stand by the quality of their work and do right by their customers.

-- Original Review (4/5) --

My experience with PJ Burns can only be reviewed in two parts. The first part is their sales process which is, in a word, terrible. It's simplest to just enumerate all the things our sales rep(s) (my wife and I dealt with two of them) did wrong:

1. Gave misleading advice about what was part of their "standard" inclusions and what was not (i.e. showed a demo house, said "everything you see here is standard", and then *after* we had signed our contract said "oh, by the way, this that and the other aren't standard, so you'll have to pay extra for them").

2. Ignored questions and inquiries sent via email, SMS, and phone. Often the only way to get an issue resolved was to go down to their office in person. Some questions they just plain did not answer at all.

3. Constantly attempted to rush us into signing a contract despite repeated statements that we did not want to rush and that we'd rather take the time to make sure the contract was perfect *before* signing (this is standard advice to anyone building a home, regardless of builder).

4. Told us, in writing (e-mail communication) that they would do something, then tried to tell us that they weren't going to because it wasn't mentioned in our contract (if you're a law buff you'll note that the Telecommunications Act of 1997 forbids this). After *several* arguments on the subject they finally agreed to honor their word.

5. Made simple mistakes like double-billing the same item and required us to point out the same errors several times (see #2) before they fixed it. Repeatedly pressured us to sign the contract while it still had errors in it (see #3).

6. Engaged us with an attitude of "you can make changes before construction commences without having to worry about fees" and then threatened to hit us with admin fees if we didn't hurry up and sign the final contract (see #3). Though to be fair I must note that in the end we were not hit with any fees.

7. Were completely unable to perform simple research tasks such as contacting a vendor and determining if they can or cannot do something. Long story short we were only able to get some inclusions by investing our own time talking to the builder's vendors and confirming the various options available.

8. Scheduled appointments/phone conversations that never actually took place.

With all these issues it's easy to overlook what they did right. The sales team did an excellent job helping us with our floorplan. Initially they were flexible and receptive to changes. Our color consultant did a superb job guiding us through the color selection process, including responding to any questions that we had. Her price estimates were often far off the mark (typically around half the actual quoted price), but that's minor considering how well she handled everything else.

In the end, however, the bad far outweighs the good. We almost abandoned the project, in fact. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and we moved forward with the build, but on an objective scale I have to rate my sales experience a 1 / 5.

But if you pull up reviews for any other builder you will find people with the same complaints. So in that sense PJ Burns is no worse than other builders, and the problems noted above are endemic to the building industry itself; not specific to PJ Burns.

So for being not worse than any other builder, I'll bump that score up to 2 / 5. The industry as a whole still rates 1 / 5. Seriously guys, it's time to improve.

On the other side of the coin is the actual construction process itself. After the nightmarish sales process we were really expecting the worst.

Fortunately our fears proved unfounded, as our site supervisor was superb. Unlike our sales rep, he always dealt with us in an honest and forthright manner. Although sometimes difficult to get ahold of, he always made sure to address all of our questions/concerns. When we found things that needed fixing, he fixed them. When he said he'd do something, he did it.

Overall the build quality on our home seems very good, and the project was completed in about 14 weeks. Given our awesome supervisor and build quality/speed I'd give the construction process a 4.5 / 5. I'm deducting 0.5 due to the retaining wall that PJ Burns put in. We paid several grand for that thing, and it already looks kind of sad (bowed beams, some poorly made cuts, etc.).

Given that it's the end result that matters, I'm giving PJ Burns a "weighted average" score of 4 / 5. That's a bit generous, but at the end of the day if you can suffer through their sales process you'll at least get a very nice house for your trouble.

With respect to cost, PJ Burns offers competitive base rates, though many of their upgrade prices seem very inflated. Suffice to say that you can save a good amount of cash by providing your own internal hardware (think toilets, tapware, floor wastes, ceiling fans, appliances, etc.) and/or working out an off-contract deal.

+ Build quality, speed, hands-on/lots of options

- Sales process, high markup on some items if you put them in the contract

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 13 helpful votes
Private message

A wonderful building company that are accommodating to all needs requested for that perfect home!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2012

This is our 2nd home built by P.J.Burns with our first home of our own design in Twin Waters to our present home being a Currimundi 215 (extended to a 227 that we required to suit our needs.)

The most important requirements was to have....

a) Their homes are built in a realistic time frame (not a drawn out 12 month contract)

b) Termite resistant frames and trusses (As a few building companies cut out the cost of this treatment in their price) for a few more dollars and peace of mind is a must!

c) Being flexible in client requests,
from the house plan adjustments and internal features requests

d) Given a high energy efficient home by having as standard inclusions including solar tinting on all windows and sliding doors, energy efficient light globes and ceiling fans in all bedrooms and living areas

e) Having the 5000 litre rainwater tank as a standard inclusion a must these days with the cost of water)

f) Lastly, we would like to thank the sales representative [name removed] for being so patient to all the office personel, all the building and construction contractors (special thanks to [name removed] the concreter) to [name removed] the Supervisor (your awesome!) Thanks PJ Burns and staff for building us another beautiful home!

+ Our energy rating is higher by having roof insulation and having the ceiling height raised

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Gladstone Q

• 1 helpful vote

A Beautiful Home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2012

We have just received the keys to our beautiful new PJ Burns home in the Hervey Bay area and we couldn't be happier. The home is a credit to the very professional team that make up this buiding company. From the moment we stepped into the display home in Hervey Bay we knew we had choosen the right builder.

We had previously researched the house plans on PJ Burns website so we knew the design we liked but wanted to change a couple of things to suit our needs. This was absolutely no problem and any questions we had were answered promptly and
efficiently. At all times we knew exactly the cost of any extras or changes and were kept informed of the progress every step of the way. Our salesperson, [name removed], was excellent and always available when we needed to ask about something. We were very impressed with her wealth of knowledge and helpful suggestions.

Our building supervisors, [names removed], were brilliant with their organisational skills and attention to detail. Their professionalism is reflected by all the tradespersons PJ Burns employs and we cant speak highly enough of their standard of work. Rest assured, anyone working for PJ Burns Builders has to deliver a high standard of workmanship. Not once were we worried about sub-standard work being carried out. This was especially appreciated as we do not live in the Hervey Bay area therefor not able to regularly check on the progress of the house. Our supervisors were even good enough to email us photos of various stages to keep us informed. Really great to get!

Overall, we thoroughly recommend PJ Burns and would definitely build with them again if we ever need to. Our beautiful home was built within 3 months without any problems or unexpected expenses.

Everything about this company is 5 star!

+ A very easy building experience. All phone calls promptly returned. Open and honest communication.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 11 answers
  • 41 helpful votes

Stress free building

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2012

An in-house architect to assist in designing a home for a slope was great. Not as cheap as some project home builders but the satisfaction of having someone who goes through from start to end and keeps you informed all the way was quite a change. You still need to be aware of what is included and what is not included but they seem to have most bases covered. My only regret is that I did not pick up two things in the house which in hindsight I would have had altered.

+ Excellent customer service, friendly helpful and informative staff,

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 3 pages

Good Afternoon. My husband received an email from the builder we were dealing with for over 6 months saying they will no longer build our house. We are devastated. The delay has simply been due to the mistakes and lack of communication from them. We are now seeking a builder to build our dream home. I am just checking because I don't think you will build in our area. We own an acre at New Beith in Logan. Do you build this far ? If not ate you able to suggest any builders you would highly recommend. Kind regards.

Cowgirl asked on Jul 10, 2015

Answer this

PJB are based in Mooloolaba but I think they build in all parts of Brisbane. On balance I would not recommend them as builders, their communications are also very deficient.

Thank you for your response. Do you recommend anyone to build a house. We are finding it so hard to find a builder who you can trust.

Have you heard anything about Qld one homes?

We need a custom builder.

Thank you.

It would be more appropriate for you to contact P J Burns directly with your question. Their response would also help you to assess the quality of their communication.

Hi guys, we are currently looking at a 3/4 acre block and they have their own set builder, although I can use mine. Had always had my heart set on Pj, but their one also seems equally good value for money. I am just after a rough cost of a basic house, 4/2, single storey, turnkey type. I have checked their website and have a fair idea but just after a better idea from previous builders of their inclusions etc and whether they are worth whatever extra it costs to change certain things. Thanks.

nicmartin asked on Jul 11, 2014

Answer this

Our house (a custom design 2-level on a narrow lot) is very different from the one you are planning, so we can't really help. I'd recommend that you talk to P J Burns - and the other builder you are considering - directly. Then you'll be better prepared to make what is an incredibly important decision.

Hi,
We'd be very happy to answer any questions or concerns directly, if you'd like more information on our plans and inclusions please feel free to contact PJ Burns directly via our website or phone head office on 0754489900.
We have inclusions lists and turnkey packages readily available that can be emailed or mailed out for you to review and as stated above we offer custom designs.

Great thanks so much pj

We are looking for a builder to custom build on Marcus Beach, an established area in the next few months. Like to know your experiences with P.J.Burns in the last 12 months? Were you happy with the end result, did they follow up on any outstanding issues during the maintenance period? Was their site supervisor knowledgeable to oversee the tradies completion of tasks and did he quickly follow through any major issues, eg. rain through the roof, that could damage flooring etc?. Did the tradies leave the site in a clean, safe condition and respect the neighbours properties? In other words does P J Burns have a benchmark or commitments from their tradies? We have built a few times and been terribly disappointed on the lack of commitment or respect from the tradies to people's properties. Would love to hear comments. Thanks, Nicky

Nicky asked on Feb 17, 2014

Answer this

We only moved in to our new house in November 2013 so we are still within the maintenance period. So far there have been no outstanding issues, and given the quality of our build, we are not expecting any to develop. Our building supervisor was on site most days, checking on progress, but the majority of PJ Burns’ tradies seemed to have worked for/with the company for years - they knew their work and the standards that were expected. (Rain? What rain?) Naturally the building site was a mess at times, but this situation was regularly rectified.

I’m not able to comment on the tradies’ commitment to neighbouring properties, as at the time our next-door neighbours were also building (ours was the middle project in a row of three blocks, split from a very large block in an old established area). All three houses were built by different firms, all commenced and were competed within 2-3 weeks of each other, so for several months our street was anything but peaceful. Although we heard no complaints, fellow residents must have breathed a sigh of relief when all three houses were finally completed.

We have considerable experience with residential building projects and can recommend PJB to a home builder. That is not to say that they were perfect, far from it. We had great difficulties communicating with the building supervisor. He would ignore our concerns and there were several instances of considerable rework. We had to go over his head on occasion. He rejected a maintenance period request and it was only after I made an unfavourable comment on this web site that PJB fixed the problem. We did find their tradies to be exceptional. They were polite and professional and the one complaint from a neighbour about loud music was promptly fixed. The workmanship was great and that's what really counts at the end of the day. PJB are better than most but you absolutely need to carefully supervise their work.

I am aware that there have been considerable changes in senior staff in the last few months, and my comments may not still be valid.

Marie & J. Clark, Thank you for your speedy responses. We had bad experience with a home built 3 years ago, particularly experience & attention to detail of site supervisor & quality of the trades people. We found tradies use unsupervised apprentices who have no idea as to the proper placement of light switches and associated fittings. Found quality of workmanship of some carpenters abysmal and some plumbers like to change the position of water heaters and shower mixers to suit their convenience. Good trades people well supervised is all we are really asking for. With respect to your (J C) problem with the site supervisor. Was there another manager above the site supv. to whom you could address your concerns? Did any of you use the services of an independent Building Inspector/Surveyor/Engineer to check the quality of the workmanship and the conformity to the wkg drawings? Understand that you may not wish to make unfavorable comments in public, my email (nickyshaw@email.com)