Review rating:

Melbourne

Private message

Best card with no annual fees and earn Qantas points

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2016

I am using this card for 4 years for everyday shopping to online purchases like Paypal, no issues at all, very good customer services, promptly replied, and the best earn 1 point for every dollar spent.

Perth

• 1 helpful vote

NOT WORTH WASTING YOUR BREATH ON

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2016

AMEX would have to be the WORST credit card out of the lot. I couldn't give no stars which is what they are worth rating. They have no sense of customer service, they are arrogant, rude, unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone not even my arch enemy. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! STICK WITH AUSTRALIAN BRANDS LIKE BANKWEST, WESTPAC, NAB ETC.

• 1 comment
  • 5 helpful votes

Scam

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 20, 2015

Do NOT get an American Express card. I cancelled mine in March and I keep getting recurring charges on it. Every time I ring up and ask how its possible to continue to have recurring charges put on the card, the person on the end of the phone tells me they will suspend it. No matter how sweet the deal don't fall for it. You can't cancel it, they are scammers.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

They just keep telling me they will suspend the card, but they don't and its 3 months now.

Melbourne

• 28 comments
  • 23 answers
  • 46 helpful votes

All been said by other 5 star reviewers

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 19, 2013

I went online recently to find an alternative to our NAB platinum Amex and Visa card with no annual fees.
Merchants are already charged fees on my purchases so why the banks need to further double dip is simply greed.
I found this card offers good points, no fees and very good customer service.

+ No annual fee

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

In looking this card up on the Qantas site, it appears there is an annual fee of $450. Is the "no fee" that you're referring to from a promotional period?

no that's the other card. There are 3 Amex QF frequent flyer cards. One is Discovery, one is platinum $250 fee and the other is ultimate. The ultimate has $450 fee.

• 8 helpful votes
Private message

Best no annual fee card ever...

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2013

Got this card for a long time
if you dont wanna pay any fee for a credit card but still need some reward this is the best.
earn Qantas points by every dollar spend, and up to 10,000 pts for first time use (at least 7500 pts you can earn, another 2500 need to buy Qantas tickets)
Good customer service, clear online service and bank statement.
highly recommended if you want a annual fee free card.

+ No fee, reward is ok, bonus pts, good service

- reward less than the one with fee, if you spend more than 20k per year, apply a better one

• 9 helpful votes
Private message

Fantastic service, fantastic card!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2012

I have had this card for many years, boy do I love the service, they have been fantastic. Flights booked with no problem (though limited in destination). On many occasion they have done their best to keep me as a customer, and really make an impression when I have discussed my concerns. They have certainly gone beyond the other shabby credit cards out there and treat you like a person not a dumb customer and waived fees when changes to the card has occurred.

+ Excellent service and forgiving in situations, will try to keep your business.

- Limited destinations on flights

SYDNEY

• 1 answer
  • 4 helpful votes

Can't live without it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2012

Excellent card. Qantas points earn rate is exceptional. The customer service is second to none with Amex and the redeeming of flights is easy too. There is a high annual fee, but this is not too bad if you have a high point earning and you redeem flights on a regular basis.

+ Qantas earn rate

- Annual fee

• 50 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2012

+ Points Earning (1.5 - 2.5 per dollar), Free domestic flight, Free travel insurance, Great Service, Automatic transfer to Qantas, Easy to use AMEX website

- Not much, Some merchants dont accept is - I go elsewhere (Merhants beware - I will walk out if I cant use my card)

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Port Hedland, WA, WA

• 1 answer
  • 21 helpful votes
Private message

The best service of all my credit cards

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2012

I changed to Amex from diners club when Diners decided to mess me around with points. I earn over 100,000 frequent flyer points per year on my cards - so it is very valuable to me to make sure I get the best deal. I also pay all of my cards off at the end of the month and don't pay interest, so I can't review the card from that aspect. I have had no problems booking the free flights - obviously they are limited for holiday periods or if you need to fly in a hurry, but by booking well in advance I have been able to get flights at Xmas and Easter over the years. The phone staff are always excellent and I have always had my queries answered by someone with a genuine Australian or NZ accent (I think their call centre might actually be in New Zealand) who shows a genuine empathy for my situation - not something that you can write about for most financial products these days. The best feature of this card is that if there are any "suspect" transactions, they immediately try to call you and if they can't get you they will leave a message as well as email and text you at the same time - so if there was anything strange going on - you would know about it immediately without having to wait for the bill to come in. Their website is also very good and easy to use.

+ They call you immediately if there is any suspect transactions

- high annual cost (but still cheaper than paying for the airfare)

• 17 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2011

When my mastercard capped the amount of points you can redeem in a year, we applied for our AMEX Ultimate. As big points users I shopped around - this card was the best deal I could find. The annual free flight is really good as we live in Perth so get the most benefit. With 1.5 points per dollar spend, and 2.5 points when paying for Qantas flights this is the best deal around. The only complaint is that they don't remind you about the free flight so you have to keep it in mind or lose it.

+ High reward points

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 01, 2010

Yep - great for earning points and get annual fee back by living in Perth and flying to see family over east.

+ I signed up for this card when my ANZ Qantas Visa capped its points. Earn points much faster and use the free flight for Perth - Melbourne each year so get value out of it. Haven't had any trouble getting flights so far they get 10-15 seats each flight but book early...

- Their website isn't transactional so you can't set up forward BPayments etc. Amex isn't accepted at a lot of small shops or for many household bills like rates etc so don't cancel your other cards! Have to remember that you need to purchase Qantas product each year to get your free flight. Free flights are for set routes not for anywhere so check that program suits.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 helpful vote

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2010

I use the card wherever I can and pay it all off each month - now by direct debit. It is a great way to get Qantas frequent flyer points. More and more vendors are charging for using it now which is a bit of a pain - but I still get to use it a lot.

+ Points accrue at 1.5 per dollar spent and the travel insurance is a big saver.

- The first year of having this card I did not use the free domestic flight which makes the $395 fees quite expensive.

1 of 2 pages