Review rating:

My first motorcycle: M50 2014

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2015

A buddy recently bought an Indian which encouraged me to look at bikes also. I knew I didn't want a crotch rocket as now I am 50 and my Glamis dirk bike and ATV days are over so I started looking at cruisers. Looking at what the manufacturers were offering, the M50 caught my eye and everything else I test rode and looked at had a hard time contending for my interest. Suzuki offering zero interest had me buying my first bike July 2015. I often catch myself walking out to the garage just to look at it. So far its only been used to commute to work so I can't wait for my first road trip.

Still trying to figure out the MPG, today I ran the take down to blinking. Panicking, I filled it with 3.8 gals traveling 209 miles. So I figure I get about 55 mpg and having .3 gals left, I could travel 18 miles further. With that I assume on fuel indicator represents 45 gals each segment. What are you seeing? Please share.

The seat is very comfortable and buying the sport windshield makes the bike look awesome and very functional. I wish the rear brake had more bite but the front brake seems to do the job. I am very proud to own this bike but the plan is, in two years the m109 will be my next investment.

Note: I've gotten 4-5 thumbs up out of cars windows as we pass over the past few months of ownership.

• 6 answers
  • 1 helpful vote

Great Cruiser

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2015

I have bought the bike 2 month ago with 20000 km on the clock and serviced. It is the 2007 modedl but looks almost new. It rides fantastic and compared to my trail bike you would think you are sitting on your lounge. It got the power to pull you away from trouble but it is no speed machine, having said that it will cruise at 120 km/h easy.
It takes about 5l per 100 km which is quite good and even long rides dont make you feel tired.
If I would get another bike I would go the 109 model just for the extra bang.

Think about the ride

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2014

This is a really nice bike, but I wish I had gone with the 90, as the M50 is a little bit gutless when trying to pass at 75+ mph. To be fair, my other bike is a 205 SV650S, and that puppy has some torque, so I'm a bit spoiled.

Also, the M50 takes some getting used to when riding in any sort of serious crosswind (gusty 35mph +). You have to be comfortable with countersteering, or you will -feel- like the bike's going to blow over. It's NOT going to blow over, but it'll feel a bit sketchy. With additional time in the saddle, you'll becom
e increasingly comfortable with it. I'd recommend NOT loading it up with saddlebags and sissy bars and such, as that only increases the surface area the crosswinds have to push against.

I WOULD recommend getting the sport or touring shield. Not that expensive, and the touring shield makes a huge difference in ride comfort. Looks nice too, not like some clunky paste-on. Sometimes find myself so comfortable that I'm spacing out, checking out scenery and such, and have to remind myself to pay attention to road conditions.

Low seat height makes for easy handling at slow speeds in parking lots, etc. Easily flat foot at lights. Clutch and shift performance is SWEET (like butter!). Nice rake angle means that it's a lot more agile in curves than many cruisers. Front shocks are good, but rear shocks are a little spongy if you're big (I'm 215 lbs in my socks. Add 20+ with helmet, leather, backpack, etc).

Haven't really noticed the 'buzzy' quality that some people mention. Typically cruise 80 to 90 mph on the slab, and it's pretty comfortable for my 45 min one way commute. Bike will go faster than that, too, but its pickup at high speed is a little gutless. Trying to pass someone doing 80 can take a good three to four seconds, which is NOT good in CA freeway traffic. But everyone here drives pretty fast on the freeway. 75 is 'normal', 85 is 'I'm late for work' and 90+ is 'I'm a very important person! how come all you a^&^&^&les are in MY way!"

Think about where you ride. If fast-lane speed averages 70mph, this bike is fine. If you ride on the interstate a lot, and average fast-lane speed is 85 (but-I'm-gonna-do-95-if-can't-see-any-cops), then save up and spring for the M90. (or better yet, the 109 *drools*)

+ Handles great. Great clutch, smooth shifting. Good low end power, street-light to street-light.

- Lacks top end power for passing at freeway speeds. Feels squirrely in gusty crosswinds.

• 2 answers

Test Rode Brand New M50

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2014

I just test rode one of these excellent machines. First and foremost, I have always been something of a Yamaha man but this Suzuki really got my attention the moment I sat on it. Brands aside, I have been looking and at least sitting on all kinds of cruisers lately and I am not terribly swayed by whether the cruiser is Japanese, British (If you can even really call them that anymore) or American. (O.K. Harleys are a bit special...)

Anyway this M50 is the first cruiser I have ridden. Although I prefer the somewhat more "Classic" look of big
chrome headlights and foot boards with tank mounted speedometer etc, at least on cruisers, this Suzuki just looked right in profile and felt right the moment I sat on it. Has plenty of chrome around the tank, where the indicator lights etc are, and the speedo looks great mounted up past the handlebars behind the headlight nacelle, in the rider's line of sight with a LCD fuel and odometer window there as well. The speedo is a little on the small side though. Fit and finish looked good.

I found the seat to be excellent and well padded and the sweepback of the 'bars looks and feels great. Being a cruiser the pegs are of course forward a bit so the riding position always requires some stretching (I am nearly 6 ft) but it is quite acceptable. As it was a team leader chaperoned dealer test ride I didn't have it all day but we went on quite a generous ride on motorway, 80 or 90 K zones and down 60 and 70 k an hour arterial roads. Enough to get a good feel for the bike. I don't think I got beyond 3rd gear-didn't need to! Admittedly I am inexperienced with cruisers but the engine is a gem-loads of torque. It's hard to imagine anyone needing more, such as the M90 or M109. You just crack open the throttle a tiny bit at say, 60 k's an hour in the higher speed limit zones in third and away it will surge. Beautiful and smooth. Lots of engine braking when you back off though.

Not a loud exhaust by any means but that's fine with me and it had a nice burble to it. Gear change was of course a bit clunky in the cruiser tradition but by no means difficult and of course it was brand new. Clutch feel was excellent.

Seemed to handle nicely-I'd probably set the front forks softer if possible-rear suspension fine. Handling seemed fine but really can't comment too much on this as I was nowhere near pushing it. Can't comment much on the brakes either as I did not apply them hard during my test ride. Pedal and lever pressure seemed OK though. Indicator repeaters down on the tank can be easy to miss so check they aren't still on!

A great ride and I would recommend anyone in the market for a cruiser to try one. MJR-Love To Test.

P.S. Many thanks to Oliver's Motorcycles of Ipswich Rd, Moorooka, Brisbane for the test ride. Courteous, Professional and Generous ! (I do not have any commercial or other ties to them.)

+ Looks, riding position, seat, engine smoothness and power.

- Speedo a bit small, indicator tank flashers easy to miss, some plastic chrome parts.

• 2 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Needs 6th Gear !

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2013

2013 model-- Good Looking bike, but lacks a 6th gear. Highway riding would get too buzzy with only 5 gears. Suzuki needs to add a 6th gear to the 805cc line or go 950cc range. Otherwise I would buy one, but will probably go with a new honda w/ 6 gears.
Style and ergonomics are very nice on the new 2013 model

+ Style, Handling, FI, Reliable

- Badly needs a 6th Gear.. too buzzy at highway speed

Bribie Island .

Send a message

Suzuki Boulevard M50 , 2011 model .

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 27, 2013

Great machine , purchased new and had Vance and Hines short shots fitted before delivery , sounds tough and goes hard enough , they have all the power you need , you dont need anymore power , and im an experienced rider , 47 years old , 6' 3 in height , and 110 kgs . They handle well for a cruiser , brakes could be better , but you ride it accordingly , fuel economy is good . Have also got a Harley , but just love riding the M50 which cost a 3rd of the price of the Harley did . I removed the M50 badges on the side covers , just peel off gently , then polish up where they were , and removed the Suzuki sticker from the rear guard and removed the rear seat , and rear passenger footpegs and brackets , and fitted the rear seat cowl , looks good , great for solo registration look , many people think its a lot bigger than what it is , as they cant tell once they dont see the M50 badges . Great in traffic , easy to manouver compared to a bigger cruiser , great on the twisties or cruisen down the highway , or used as a commuter , and just a lot of fun to ride , there reasonably priced , with two year unlimited klms warranty , so i dont think you can go wrong with one of these .

Safe Riding
Cheers .

+ Brakes could be better , but there ok .

• 3 helpful votes

Suzuki Boulevard M50

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2012

I have had my M50 for rour years and cannot fault its ride. The seat is comfortable, handles are at the right hight and so comfortable for my wife she falls asleep.
Did find the factory pipes were a bit quiet so put after market on and now sounds great.
Only downside it does not like downhill corners, wants to psh into them so must be careful. Up hill handles as good as any bike ridden.
Te Boulevarard sissie seat and accessories have pitted and do need to have it re-chromed.

+ Comfort, especially in city traffic

- Fuel distance is only 275 klms

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Thank you for some informations about this great bike Suzuki M50 Boulevard. The bike has 15.5 Liters of Petrol/Fuel Tank capacity and it can travel 275kms. journey in a Freeway/ Motroway? Thanks a million.

• 5 helpful votes

I love this bike

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2012

Comfortable; my first ride was 300 km non-stop, with no numb bum or other discomfort.

Great handling, I love to lean this bike, it's light and easily manoeuvred. Easy to keep up with other bikes.

Responsive engine, low rev torque is more than enough, and easy cruising at 120 km/hr and above.

Fuel tank large enough for 275 to 300 km. A slightly larger tank would be nice, but not necessary.

Exhausts!!! Suzuki, make the factory fitted exhaust louder - be seen, be heard, be safe! This is the first thing I'd change with after market part

Brakes. Would love to see this bike with double front discs and a single rear disc, but then it probably wouldn't be such a great price. The bike is a cruiser, not a sports bike, so the brakes are adequate for the intended purpose.

I started riding at the age of 61, two years ago. I did 20 months (24,000 km) on a leaner 250cc cruiser, then bought my Boulevard M50 a couple of months ago. I did a lot of research and decided on the M50 because it was in the size and weight range I wanted (750 to 900 cc), had mag wheels, was shaft drive, had a nice low and comfortable seat, and looked like a classic cruiser.

I've done 2,100 km in just over two months. I ride her whenever I can, I use her to commute (unfortunately only 10 km each way - I try to take the longer way home whenever possible) and take longer rides in the weekend.

I would just like a little more noise from the exhaust to make me more noticeable to other vehicles out on the road.

She's the bright orange colour, I like that, and people come up to me when I pull up and comment on her looks.

+ Comfortable, low seat, easily manoeuverable, great looks, nice cornering for a cruiser, finally able to pass other vehicles.

- Brakes are adequate, but ride it like a cruiser and not a sports bike. Exhausts need to be a little louder.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

mate i just saw the orange version at a dealer and fell in love but was sold.....have you got any pics of yours . . . . .alas i might have to go the blue colour . . pics would be great of yours [email removed]

I had one , what a bike, could not fault it. Wife said rear seat to small.

I have the 2009 model. Awesome bike

• 17 helpful votes
Send a message

Capable and fun mid range cruiser

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2012

+ Very comfortable with good ergonomics, so far very reliable, good in traffic, good on the open road, good ride to work, good on the weekends = all good!

- Rear brake is ordinary, about the only fault

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

I sold Yammy FZ1 as was having way too much fun for Vic speed limits , and it had 54k on it . Saw 2008 M50 for sale and took it for a ride , bought it on spot . Looks great , i fitted K&N air filte... read more »

• 21 helpful votes
Send a message

Great bike. Felt at home immediately

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2012

Been out of bikes for 15 years so when the time to re-enter the market came around I decided on a cruiser as my boy racer days are over (almost). First impressions were how comfortable and easy the bike was to ride, very confidence inspiring. Value stands up really well against other metric cruisers leaving me some change in my pocket to customise. Only downside was the bike was a bit to easy and sedate for my 6ft 3", 105kg frame but I loved the size of the M50 so I have spiced it up a bit with V&H exhaust to give some growl and save about 10kg s in weight from the original pipes, GIPro ATRE gear sensor, Bully Stealth air intake and Healtech FI Tuner Pro. I now have performance, sound and ease of ride. All smiles! Fuel economy is solid getting 260 - 310k's out of a tank depending on how much I twist the throttle. Riding in traffic is a breeze and feels lighter than its size to manoeuvre about. Riding through the Perth hills is great but I have to be careful not to lean it down to far and scrape the pegs. Clearance is better than most however. My wife is comfortable on the back. Bottom line is I just love riding my M50.

+ Value, riding position, looks, performance

- Rear brake only adequate. Motor stiffled a bit by those huge mufflers

21 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2012

I considered going bigger as I am in love with the M109R but too big for me and the M50 is next best thing

+ ease of handling and so EASY to ride considering I am an 63kg woman, she is just magic

- black wheels, but I changed that, had them polished and added more C50 engine chrome and she looks hot.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes