Review rating:
ShowHide filters

Sacramento

Think about the ride

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2014

This is a really nice bike, but I wish I had gone with the 90, as the M50 is a little bit gutless when trying to pass at 75+ mph. To be fair, my other bike is a 205 SV650S, and that puppy has some torque, so I'm a bit spoiled. Also, the M50 takes some getting used to when riding in any sort of serious crosswind (gusty 35mph +). You have to be comfortable with countersteering, or you will -f Read more eel- like the bike's going to blow over. It's NOT going to blow over, but it'll feel a bit sketchy. With additional time in the saddle, you'll become increasingly comfortable with it. I'd recommend NOT loading it up with saddlebags and sissy bars and such, as that only increases the surface area the crosswinds have to push against.

I WOULD recommend getting the sport or touring shield. Not that expensive, and the touring shield makes a huge difference in ride comfort. Looks nice too, not like some clunky paste-on. Sometimes find myself so comfortable that I'm spacing out, checking out scenery and such, and have to remind myself to pay attention to road conditions.

Low seat height makes for easy handling at slow speeds in parking lots, etc. Easily flat foot at lights. Clutch and shift performance is SWEET (like butter!). Nice rake angle means that it's a lot more agile in curves than many cruisers. Front shocks are good, but rear shocks are a little spongy if you're big (I'm 215 lbs in my socks. Add 20+ with helmet, leather, backpack, etc).

Haven't really noticed the 'buzzy' quality that some people mention. Typically cruise 80 to 90 mph on the slab, and it's pretty comfortable for my 45 min one way commute. Bike will go faster than that, too, but its pickup at high speed is a little gutless. Trying to pass someone doing 80 can take a good three to four seconds, which is NOT good in CA freeway traffic. But everyone here drives pretty fast on the freeway. 75 is 'normal', 85 is 'I'm late for work' and 90+ is 'I'm a very important person! how come all you a^&^&^&les are in MY way!"

Think about where you ride. If fast-lane speed averages 70mph, this bike is fine. If you ride on the interstate a lot, and average fast-lane speed is 85 (but-I'm-gonna-do-95-if-can't-see-any-cops), then save up and spring for the M90. (or better yet, the 109 *drools*)

+ Handles great. Great clutch, smooth shifting. Good low end power, street-light to street-light.

- Lacks top end power for passing at freeway speeds. Feels squirrely in gusty crosswinds.

Brisbane

• 2 helpful votes

Test Rode Brand New M50

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 02, 2014

I just test rode one of these excellent machines. First and foremost, I have always been something of a Yamaha man but this Suzuki really got my attention the moment I sat on it. Brands aside, I have been looking and at least sitting on all kinds of cruisers lately and I am not terribly swayed by whether the cruiser is Japanese, British (If you can even really call them that anymore) or American. Read more (O.K. Harleys are a bit special...)

Anyway this M50 is the first cruiser I have ridden. Although I prefer the somewhat more "Classic" look of big chrome headlights and foot boards with tank mounted speedometer etc, at least on cruisers, this Suzuki just looked right in profile and felt right the moment I sat on it. Has plenty of chrome around the tank, where the indicator lights etc are, and the speedo looks great mounted up past the handlebars behind the headlight nacelle, in the rider's line of sight with a LCD fuel and odometer window there as well. The speedo is a little on the small side though. Fit and finish looked good.

I found the seat to be excellent and well padded and the sweepback of the 'bars looks and feels great. Being a cruiser the pegs are of course forward a bit so the riding position always requires some stretching (I am nearly 6 ft) but it is quite acceptable. As it was a team leader chaperoned dealer test ride I didn't have it all day but we went on quite a generous ride on motorway, 80 or 90 K zones and down 60 and 70 k an hour arterial roads. Enough to get a good feel for the bike. I don't think I got beyond 3rd gear-didn't need to! Admittedly I am inexperienced with cruisers but the engine is a gem-loads of torque. It's hard to imagine anyone needing more, such as the M90 or M109. You just crack open the throttle a tiny bit at say, 60 k's an hour in the higher speed limit zones in third and away it will surge. Beautiful and smooth. Lots of engine braking when you back off though.

Not a loud exhaust by any means but that's fine with me and it had a nice burble to it. Gear change was of course a bit clunky in the cruiser tradition but by no means difficult and of course it was brand new. Clutch feel was excellent.

Seemed to handle nicely-I'd probably set the front forks softer if possible-rear suspension fine. Handling seemed fine but really can't comment too much on this as I was nowhere near pushing it. Can't comment much on the brakes either as I did not apply them hard during my test ride. Pedal and lever pressure seemed OK though. Indicator repeaters down on the tank can be easy to miss so check they aren't still on!

A great ride and I would recommend anyone in the market for a cruiser to try one. MJR-Love To Test.

P.S. Many thanks to Oliver's Motorcycles of Ipswich Rd, Moorooka, Brisbane for the test ride. Courteous, Professional and Generous ! (I do not have any commercial or other ties to them.)

+ Looks, riding position, seat, engine smoothness and power.

- Speedo a bit small, indicator tank flashers easy to miss, some plastic chrome parts.

miami

Needs 6th Gear !

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2013

2013 model-- Good Looking bike, but lacks a 6th gear. Highway riding would get too buzzy with only 5 gears. Suzuki needs to add a 6th gear to the 805cc line or go 950cc range. Otherwise I would buy one, but will probably go with a new honda w/ 6 gears.
Style and ergonomics are very nice on the new 2013 model

+ Style, Handling, FI, Reliable

- Badly needs a 6th Gear.. too buzzy at highway speed

Bribie Island .

• 4 comments
  • 1 answer

Suzuki Boulevard M50 , 2011 model .

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 27, 2013

Great machine , purchased new and had Vance and Hines short shots fitted before delivery , sounds tough and goes hard enough , they have all the power you need , you dont need anymore power , and im an experienced rider , 47 years old , 6' 3 in height , and 110 kgs . They handle well for a cruiser , brakes could be better , but you ride it accordingly , fuel economy is good . Have also got Read more a Harley , but just love riding the M50 which cost a 3rd of the price of the Harley did . I removed the M50 badges on the side covers , just peel off gently , then polish up where they were , and removed the Suzuki sticker from the rear guard and removed the rear seat , and rear passenger footpegs and brackets , and fitted the rear seat cowl , looks good , great for solo registration look , many people think its a lot bigger than what it is , as they cant tell once they dont see the M50 badges . Great in traffic , easy to manouver compared to a bigger cruiser , great on the twisties or cruisen down the highway , or used as a commuter , and just a lot of fun to ride , there reasonably priced , with two year unlimited klms warranty , so i dont think you can go wrong with one of these .

Safe Riding
Cheers .

+ Brakes could be better , but there ok .

SYDNEY

Suzuki Boulevard M50

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2012

I have had my M50 for rour years and cannot fault its ride. The seat is comfortable, handles are at the right hight and so comfortable for my wife she falls asleep.
Did find the factory pipes were a bit quiet so put after market on and now sounds great.
Only downside it does not like downhill corners, wants to psh into them so must be careful. Up hill handles as good as any bike ridden.
Te Boulevarard sissie seat and accessories have pitted and do need to have it re-chromed.

+ Comfort, especially in city traffic

- Fuel distance is only 275 klms

3 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

Thank you for some informations about this great bike Suzuki M50 Boulevard. The bike has 15.5 Liters of Petrol/Fuel Tank capacity and it can travel 275kms. journey in a Freeway/ Motroway? Thanks a million.

AUCKLAND

I love this bike

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2012

Comfortable; my first ride was 300 km non-stop, with no numb bum or other discomfort. Great handling, I love to lean this bike, it's light and easily manoeuvred. Easy to keep up with other bikes. Responsive engine, low rev torque is more than enough, and easy cruising at 120 km/hr and above. Fuel tank large enough for 275 to 300 km. A slightly larger tank would be nice, but not necessary. Read more

Exhausts!!! Suzuki, make the factory fitted exhaust louder - be seen, be heard, be safe! This is the first thing I'd change with after market parts.

Brakes. Would love to see this bike with double front discs and a single rear disc, but then it probably wouldn't be such a great price. The bike is a cruiser, not a sports bike, so the brakes are adequate for the intended purpose.

I started riding at the age of 61, two years ago. I did 20 months (24,000 km) on a leaner 250cc cruiser, then bought my Boulevard M50 a couple of months ago. I did a lot of research and decided on the M50 because it was in the size and weight range I wanted (750 to 900 cc), had mag wheels, was shaft drive, had a nice low and comfortable seat, and looked like a classic cruiser.

I've done 2,100 km in just over two months. I ride her whenever I can, I use her to commute (unfortunately only 10 km each way - I try to take the longer way home whenever possible) and take longer rides in the weekend.

I would just like a little more noise from the exhaust to make me more noticeable to other vehicles out on the road.

She's the bright orange colour, I like that, and people come up to me when I pull up and comment on her looks.

+ Comfortable, low seat, easily manoeuverable, great looks, nice cornering for a cruiser, finally able to pass other vehicles.

- Brakes are adequate, but ride it like a cruiser and not a sports bike. Exhausts need to be a little louder.

5 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

mate i just saw the orange version at a dealer and fell in love but ....it was sold.....have you got any pics of yours . . . . .alas i might have to go the blue colour . . pics would be great of yours [email removed]

I had one , what a bike, could not fault it. Wife said rear seat to small.

I have the 2009 model. Awesome bike

• 1 review

Great bike. Felt at home immediately

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2011

Been out of bikes for 15 years so when the time to re-enter the market came around I decided on a cruiser as my boy racer days are over (almost). First impressions were how comfortable and easy the bike was to ride, very confidence inspiring. Value stands up really well against other metric cruisers leaving me some change in my pocket to customise. Only downside was the bike was a bit to easy and Read more sedate for my 6ft 3", 105kg frame but I loved the size of the M50 so I have spiced it up a bit with V&H exhaust to give some growl and save about 10kgs in weight from the original pipes, GIPro ATRE gear sensor, Bully Stealth air intake and Healtech FI Tuner Pro. I now have performance, sound and ease of ride. All smiles! Fuel economy is solid getting 260 - 310k's out of a tank depending on how much I twist the throttle. Riding in traffic is a breeze and feels lighter than its size to manoeuvre about. Riding through the Perth hills is great but I have to be careful not to lean it down to far and scrape the pegs. Clearance is better than most however. My wife is comfortable on the back. Bottom line is I just love riding my M50.

+ Value, riding position, looks, performance

- Rear brake only adequate. Motor stiffled a bit by those huge mufflers

21 people found this helpful, do you?

• 1 answer

Capable and fun mid range cruiser

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 25, 2011

After a 20 year absence I have gone back to motorcycling. My re-entry vehicle, so to speak, has been a 2010 Boulevard M50. Three months and 3000 km have passed, since it wheeled out of the dealership. Every time I climb on the saddle I do so with a big smile. The machine is stable, easy to ride, accelerates and brakes well. It is no sport bike but twist the throttle and the response is very Read more satisfying. It is just plain good fun to have a V twin, to feel the machine rumble, to enjoy the ride, have a stylish reliable comfortable machine and not scare the [censored word removed] out of yourself. Handles Sydney traffic quite well and great for a Sunday blast up to the Blue Mountains and beyond.

I'm really glad I got it and enjoy riding it. IMO, the M50 is also very good value for money. What more could you want? Highly recommended for those like me going back to biking.

+ Very comfortable with good ergonomics, so far very reliable, good in traffic, good on the open road, good ride to work, good on the weekends = all good!

- Rear brake is ordinary, about the only fault

17 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

I sold Yammy FZ1 as was having way too much fun for Vic speed limits , and it had 54k on it . Saw 2008 M50 for sale and took it for a ride , bought it on spot . Looks great , i fitted K&N air filte... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 comments

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2010

This bike is a gem. Not too big or small; delightful and good fun to commute, punt along on a weekend ride, or go touring on. A keeper. Read more

+ Just about everything! My missus had a 650 V-star and I found it too uncomfortable for me (195cm). This is slightly larger and far less pressure on the tail bone. I have owned lots of sports-bikes and sports-tourers, plus an "adventure" bike - but this just does it all for me. I like the look (I have a 2008 model), have fitted bags and a screen, plus a sheepskin. It handles 1-up touring nicely. Brakes are adequate, without being awesome, but ridden within it's design brief, I find them OK. Fuel economy is fantastic - 20km/l commuting and 23-25km/l touring/open road cruising. Also fitted staintune pipes and it sounds lovely, without being obnoxious. Slight increas in HP and 5kg lighter than OEM 'zorsts, so it is noticeable. Handling is good for a cruiser and you can punt along at a fair clip, even through the twisties. Why I like it so much is that it is "fun" to punt along at legal speeds, whereas most modern sportsbikes ain't fun to ride unless you're doing license-losing speeds. I commute daily on this bike, and always get to work with a nice relaxed feeling. I'd put this bike as the top value for money bike I've ever owned - 8990 ride-away with a good trade-in deal on my VFR800Fi and remainder of new-bike warranty. It had 8000klm on the clock when I bought it and previous owner was meticulous with looking after it and servicing. Had it just over a year now and it's never let me down.

- Nothing! I would like a 20l tank, rather than 15.5, but with good fuel economy, it doesn't really matter. I'm not likely to do more than 250klm before wanting to stop for a stretch anyway, but knowing you have a 400k range instead of 280-300 when touring would be a bonus.

18 people found this helpful, do you?

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2009

I only paid $5,800 for my M50 with bags and pipes.And at 25,000 k's I am stoked.
Its everything I want in a bike as it looks great and does everything except brake really well.

+ It goes really well. Off the line I keep all my mates honest even the rocket ships. Good ground clearance for a cruiser, great fuel economy and looks great.

- The brakes are on the poor side,about a 6 out of 10 and she dont like mid corner bumps.

10 people found this helpful, do you?

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2009

The Boulevard M50 is hands-down the best mid-sized cruiser available on the market today. It gives cruiser comfort with muscular power and near-sport-bike handling characteristics (just don't try to lean it like a SV650), while being affordable to buy and run (I average 42MPG in city). Many owners complain about the tameness of the stock exhaust note, but this is easily fixed (without dropping h Read more undreds of dollars on aftermarket pipes) by drilling out the stock baffles with a hole saw (an online video tutorial shows how to do this...it took me 20 minutes). The result is a stock exhaust note that sounds much more deep and aggressive without being so obnoxious that the cops take interest. Cheap aftermarket kits (www.johnskits.com) are available to lower the bike or extend the pegs for shorter or taller riders (I'm 6'-5" with a 36" inseam and the M50 fits me fine...unlike most other mid-size cruisers). Those who want a "sixth gear" can swap out the rear differential for a unit from the C90 to lower rpm at highway speed. Learn how to adjust the valves yourself and save the $450 or so it costs for each 4,000 mile service.

Overall, the M50 is an incredible value with lots of style and excellent performance for its class. It's also a very forgiving bike for beginning and intermediate riders, while providing some fun for the experts. I love mine, and recommend it highly.

+ Great torque and power, handles much better than most "cruiser"-style bikes, easily and cheaply customized, looks great, a lot of bike for the buck (low first cost), resale value has held up well.

- Stock exhaust is a bit tame, does not have self-adjusting valves (so service can be expensive), requires significant break-in period before crank-shaft vibration goes away, could stand to have a 6th gear for high-speed freeway cruising, stock seat can be uncomfortable on longer rides.

33 people found this helpful, do you?

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2009

Got her in Dec 2008 but in the 09 colour of burnt orange - "nice colour". I test rode all the equivalent bikes and the M50 came out on top in every aspect. I haven't had any concerns about fuel consumption but then I ride it like a cruiser not like a 500GP Bike. Great road bike for someone who wants to have fun on two wheels without spending the HD level of money. Most people who see it have bee Read more n super impressed including HD riders.

+ Smooth running, comfortable riding position, easy starting, great balance,looks great, can lean pretty well over for a cruiser, very responsive

- Factory exhaust is too soft, must have come from a Singer factory, I upgraded to V&H not too noisy and increased performance. Needs another gear at 110km/hr +

12 people found this helpful, do you?

1 of 2 pages

Click to rate

Already registered? Sign in.

Incorrect please try again

By submitting a review, I accept ProductReview's Posting Guidelines and Terms of Use Policy.