Review rating:
Product models:
ShowHide filters

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

• 1 comment

Best scooter I have ever had !

reviewed on Mar 12, 2014

I am so happy with this scoot! I had the Burgman 400cc a couple of years ago.
I am wondering if there are others out there who might enjoy a ride together - especially in Gippsland .
Its a bit frustrating that engine access is terrible - but Im not expecting to have to do anything.
I will sit back and enjoy . I have ordered a backrest [USA] and Laminar-lip [england].
Keeping the revs to under 4000 is a challenge ; I am not a speedster.But it will be great to sensibly 'open it up'.

+ Very clean straight forward lines - so easy to ride.

Comments

My AN650L3 is barely a month old; I love it. Biggest bike I've had and the best scooter around. I use it for a 90km commute to and from Bunbury, WA each day of the week, spinning around 4-4,500rpm ... read more »

I highly recommend the Laminar Lip for superb wind protection , the backrest [ I rode without it a while back- was very unpleasant ], and a simple plastic 'cruise' controller for $10.00.

• 1 answer

Rolls-Royce of scooters...but a bugger to work on!

reviewed on Mar 05, 2014

We Bought a 2005 Burgman 250 for my wife, who is a low time (and still nervous!) rider. Her previous bikes were a VT250 Honda, a Yamaha Max Biaggi replica 100 scooter, and a V-moto Monaco 125 scooter. The Burgman was a good deal at the time, but one of the big considerations was the low seat height (low time riders like it when they can plant both feet flat on the ground!) Now, I rode it home afte Read more r picking it up, and I was blown away!!! To put it in context, I have owned a Goldwing 1500 so I know what comfortable riding is all about. The Burgman was like a mini Goldwing! Very comfortable seat; comfortable upright riding posture; easy to handle; low centre of gravity; decent engine power and great brakes; good windscreen; fantastic headlight.

Unlike many scooters, there is quite a bit of adjustability built in to the Burgie: the handlebars can be adjusted up or down for a comfortable position like a conventional bike, and the small riders' seat backrest can be moved fore and aft. You can get this thing to fit you like a glove! It has powerful linked brakes (the left hand lever works the back brake as well as the front) which is also a bonus for new riders, and the headlight is extremely powerful! Despite scooter sized wheels, it handles road lumps and bumps with ease. Another plus is storage: two non secure shoulder compartments, a lockable glove compartment, and a big underseat area that will take two full face helmets: it even has a switchable light! If you want to maximise your storage space, it even has helmet hooks! Returns 3.5 to 4 litres per 100km on regular unleaded, and will sit in 100kph all day if you want it to...and there's no messy chain to oil!!!

There are few downsides to this bike: it is not light (170kg) so can be a little difficult for slightly built riders to manoeuvre around the garage. Though I found it simple to get on the centrestand, my wife still finds it a little tricky. The sidestand cut-out switch (to protect learners: the bike will not start if the sidestand is down) is a pain in the neck if you are a bit more experienced. And there is a lot of bodywork to keep cleaned and polished! The biggest nuisance only applies for home mechanics like me: it is a major pain in the bum to work on! All that lovely bodywork must come off to do even simple servicing tasks, and that means a workshop manual is essential: do not try and take bits off without it, or you will break bits and have an expensive experience!
Despite that, I highly recommend it: for commuting or highway work, it is very pleasant for both low time and experienced riders to ride, and can even take a pillion comfortably. My wife just loves it, and has no intention of changing for the forseeable future!

+ Comfortable, reliable, easy to ride, economical, good looking: ticks all the boxes

- Sidestand cut-out switch, a little heavy at low speed or stopped, time consuming to home service

1 person found this helpful, do you?

Townsville, Queensland

• 1 question

AN650AL2

King of the Scooters

reviewed on Jan 13, 2014

Heaps of storage under seat. Electric mirrors. Electric screen. Twin headlights. 3 modes - Auto, Power, Manual.
The Auto is great for around town The Power is great for hills or when you need that little bit of extra power. The Manual is great for long rides as mine seems to use less fuel than on Auto. 2 Trip meters also calculate use. I'm averaging 19 litres per 100 k's at present. Seb at CMCC was excellent to deal with.

+ Seating, storage, trip meters, electric mirrors and windshield.

- Left hand mirror is badly positioned.

Comments

19 litres per 100? What is it a mack truck???

Sorry Johno. I wrote it wrong. I meant 19 k's to a litre. I have since worked it out manually and it has been 22 k's per litre on average. That was averaged on a 3000+k ride around Tasmania.

Baldivis, WA

• 3 answers
  • 1 helpful vote

2013 Suzuki Burgman

reviewed on Jun 23, 2013

Well, my new 2013 Burgman arrived this week and after riding it for a few days, I thought I'd post my initial reaction to the new model. I've had two previous Burgmans starting off in 2003. I had that bike up to 2010 and then traded it for the then current 2010 Executive model. Unfortunately, that was stolen from my garage in September last year. I didn't rush out to replace it as I knew a new mod Read more el was on the horizon. I read the reviews before buying the latest version and decided I'd go ahead rather than trying to source a 2012 version which would have been identical to the 2010 model that I'd lost. Firstly, I would like to say a big thank you to [name removed] from Witch Cycles in Rockingham, WA for providing a pleasant buying experience and ensuring that my bike was delivered to me on time and without any hitches. In my honest opinion, this latest version somehow falls short of what I've been used to on previous Burgman releases. Let me explain the positives first from my point of view. The storage area at the front of the bike is improved and with the revised placement of the 12 volt socket to power a mobile phone charger or something similar is much better than on the older Burgman. The smaller compartments above are of a slightly better design too. Looking at the petrol filler flap, I'm thinking that I may be in with a chance of it not breaking like on my two previous bikes despite handling them both very carefully. So far as the positives and again, from my point of view, that's about it. It rides the same, it feels the same, pretty much, out on the road. Suzuki say that they've improved the transmission and fuel economy but if they have, it's not really discernible. Not to me anyway. Let me now offer my opinions on what I see are the negatives. I liked the dark grey colour of the previous version and I'm less keen on the metallic white that I was forced to accept as at the moment, it's the only colour option in Australia. Europe gets, white, black and I think a grey or silver. No such luck here. Suzuki have tinkered with the under seat storage area and it's now smaller that it was before. Why? To make the rear end of the bike slimmer and more 'stylish'. Previously, the mirrors were ensconced in beautiful car-like enclosures. They've gone and been replaced with mirrors that sort of sit on top of the of the plastic enclosures that support them. They look hideous. They still work well but not as good as they were before. The screen seems to be smaller that it was previously too. I guess we'll have to wait for Givi to come up with a replacement. I don't like the position of the handbrake release and again, I don't know why it's been changed. The instrumentation is now a combination of dials for the speedo and tachometer with digital information between the two 'clocks'. I don't mind this too much and the display is actually quite good. Why was it changed? I have no idea. To me, Suzuki have taken something truly wonderful in the older Burgman and given it a facelift and made many unwelcome changes. People who buy Burgman 650's like the large under seat storage area, the mirrors as they were, everything pretty much that the older bike offered. I suspect some younger designer has come along not fully understanding the requirements of the generally older Burgman rider. If you have an older Burgman, hang on to it as again, in my opinion, you're not losing out at all. If you've never had one before, then this version, as per usual, will not fail to impress. I hate design change when it's not called for and I think Suzuki has lost the plot somewhat with this latest version. It's good but I'm now hankering for the older one that I had before.

+ Improved front storage area. New placement of 12 charging socket. Possibly more durable petrol flap.

- The shrunken under seat storage. The mirrors. The parking brake placement. Colour choice. Screen size.

2 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

Very helpful review. How can the handbrake being under your left leg possibly be a better position!?! Sounds completely idiotic. I've never liked the mirrors and think the ones from the Honda Silve... read more »

I have had my 2013 for one week, and ridden about 250km, as a bit cold. I still have the 2010 as well. I agree with the Lou2Loops comments and would add some more. The 2013 runs freer than the 2... read more »

A friend of mine has bought his first Burgman 400, he has had scooters before but not this big, he is getting used to it know but finds that when it is windy and coming from all directions the Bur... read more »

mumbai

Beautiful machine

reviewed on Jun 12, 2013

I'm now on my 2nd Burgman. I never considered buying a scooter (having always ridden bikes), until I saw one of these on eBay. Hadn't ridden for w while so I thought it would make a good interim bike until upgrading. Anyway, it's been so solid and reliable, plus so comfortable to ride around, that I ended up upgrading to an exec after 100,000km. Plenty of space under the seat, narrow enough to get Read more to the front of the line at traffic lights, yet powerful and heavy enough for solid freeway/country cruising.

+ Everything

- That stupid plastic cover over the electrics under the left glovebox always comes off.

• 2 comments
  • 5 helpful votes

magnificant

reviewed on Jan 06, 2013

I've now ridden over 100,000km since I bought the Burgman Exec in April 2008. The only faults I've encountered have been the result of incorrect assembly (front wheel bearing). There are a few design faults that you need to be aware of. The air filter is upside down which means any loose dirt falls into the engine side when you remove the filter. Considering most dealers mechanics I've dealt w Read more ith didn't know how to put the engine cover back on, this is a worry. If you ever stray off dry clean bitumen, it's a good idea to fit a mud flap on the front. Without it, after 5k roadworks the radiator was 1/2 covered.

+ performance, reliability, low centre of gravity, excellent low speed charactorists, high speed stability. quiet, even without ear plugs

- seat not as comfy as it looks. Ride is a bit harsh.

6 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

At 127000km the transmission belt failed. Dealer quote was AU$4000 for a new transmission or AU$845 for the belt + AU$1300 fitting + AU$ ? for any additional parts needed. The only thing stopping ... read more »

• 21 comments
  • 8 answers
  • 22 helpful votes

best choice large CC scooter on the market

reviewed on Jul 26, 2012

Bought this bike in 2007 and ride it every day. Has never let me down. Love the great weather protection and huge underseat storage. Can fit 2 helmets and a few clothes or lots of shopping including a 30 pack of soft drink. It mightn't look as funky cool as a harley davidson but I had one of them too and preferred riding this. Practical, smooth, cheap to run. Plastic always looks good.

+ Storage, weather protection, ease of use

- has a large body so isn't the best for lane splitting but I do it anyway by pulling the mirrors in

2 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

Follow-up - Mine is a 650 non-executive 2003 model. At around 26k, it started making (referred to in burgmanusa as) a dieseling noise. This is due to a design flaw in something to do with the CVT. ... read more »

NUNAWADING

• 3 comments
  • 9 helpful votes

I was an [censored word removed] for delaying getting this

reviewed on Jun 22, 2012

I first bought a conventional motorbike because of the image thing of scooter. My v-star was great, by I never let my eyes off possible scooters that could handle the open road. I finally relented and abandoned the pressures of biker die-hards, tested a few scoots, and fell in love with a 2nd hand 2006 an650. Oh my God!!! Power. Stability. Luggage space. Ease. Looks. It will take off like a rocket Read more , but not feel like the front wheel is about to lift off, it stays level. The list goes on and on.
I stronger suspect the regular biker community don't know what the hell they're missing out on. It's going to take something super special to wean me off the Burgman 650.
A fantastic alternative to a car.

+ Too much to mention. But... reliable, powerful. Great dash and compartment. A gentle cruise at 100 kms. Overtakes a dream. Versatile in city, and country. Intelligent beyond belief. Very secure braking. Great cornering. Perfect for pillions. Centre of gravity.

- Expensive as far as scooters... but what you get for it....well!!!

2 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

Wait for the 30,000 mile transmission failure which will cost more to fix than the scoot is worth. Love will turn to hate, stay close to home !

Up-date.... Had my Burgman a fair while now. Still love it to bits. Grand experience the other day. I took off leaving a Hyosung behind. When the biker caught up to me at the next red light, he yel... read more »

It is scary to think that it is not a serviceable item but I've done 75,000miles (120,000km) & touch wood, the transmission works like the day I bought it.

BENDIGO, VIC

Local Riders?

reviewed on Jun 21, 2012

Had the 650 Exec for 8 months now and love it. In the first month I did a 3000k interstate trip and it held the road like a rock, and gave me no trouble other than my aching jaw from continually smiling. Is there an Australian Burgman forum or Burgman riders' club (I'm in central Vic)? A few group rides would be fun.

+ road presence

- Grips too small & seat is better with a backrest

1 person found this helpful, do you?

Comments

A Burgman Riders Club would be great.

Get some bigger grips. Seat has a backrest?

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Selected review

Love it!

reviewed on Jul 08, 2011

I love my Burgman, most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I commute to work everyday, about 100ks per day and have done Melbourne to Sydney and back very comfortably through the coast. If you own one, please be aware of the "Centre stand switch", last weekend on a ride back from Traralgon, about to hours from Melbourne, I stoped at a petrol station to fill up, place the bike on the centre sta Read more nd and when I took off, the bike was stuck on 1st gear, even on D (auto)the bike wouldn't go any faster the 35ks...
Took to the dealer, after a week playing with the bike I got told about the switch, which I strongly believe its a Suzuki's fault, I got charged over $300 to replace the switch that I have been told it was from an "impact" that never happened.

"...the centre stand switch is a similar switch to the sidestand switch which has a spring loaded plunger and they give trouble from time to time as people have described and certainly cleaning and spraying with WD40 does work often, but your switch has a bent plunger which is causing it to jam. As I mentioned the small guard they have around the switch is also bent from impact and has to be straightened out when the new switch is fitted. We are expecting the switch today and we have sorted out the key issue so you should be back on the road by the end of the day"

If you own and Burgman and love it as much as I do, do a research on the "Centre Stand Switch" and carry with you the tools necessary to "pull" the switch should that ever happen to you, it isn't difficult, and a dealer will just charge you to replace... Let me know your thoughts on that and should any Burgman be in Melbourne, lets go for a ride!

+ Comfortable ride, can do my shopping and carry under the seat, lots of space!!!

- Heated grib and seats should come standard in Victoria as its in the UK

19 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

hello to all fans burgman. Nenad and I'm president of the association BURGMAN SERBIA I read various comments that were here and I am glad that on this continent and in Europe there are people who l... read more »

Hi there-thinking of buying a new 2012 model, have never owned a scooter before & wondering how it handles compared to a cruiser (my curent bike is a Suzi M50). Also, your thoughts please after long-term ownership? Cheers

G'day i owned a 650 burger for about 5 yrs had to sell it due to having back surgery. if not for that would still have it. overall it was a great bike. couldn't fault it. apart from the weight. gre... read more »

yes it's great BUT?

reviewed on Jun 26, 2011

As I said it's great yet made perfect with a taller screen/Givi $250.00 aud
The std screen should have been more ajustable for height.
the ride is a little on the hard side even on rear soft setting
But all up a perfect ride and a great tourer, buy the screen and thats it you will find there is much else you need to buy.

- std screen to short and im 5 foot 6"

10 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

Depends where you want your screen to be. If you want to look through it - After the screen gets all scratched up, you won't be able to see when it rains or at night.

• 1 review

reviewed on Apr 29, 2010

Notlong owened my Burgman650,am getting better everyday with it,just so easy to ride.Very rider friendly.Its so easy to forget my learners speed of 80ks.Lookedat smaller scootors but Deborah and myself so so glad we found this one,its still under warranty. Speedo even tells when next service is due. "love the A B S " Read more

+ Just had my first bike 3 weeks now a suzuki burgman 650 executive.2900k on speedo love shape, colour & features .Power is plenty I have just got my L s one week after buying bike glove boxes under seat storage power windows are all very good so so smooth its a dream to ride.Love it

- would love power wind screen to be just a tad higher,iam a big bloke

14 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

I swapped my stock screen for a Clerview XL I had shipped from the States. Fully up, I see through. Fully down, I see over. It's 2.5 inches taller than stock and works very well.

1 of 2 pages

Click to rate

By submitting a review, I accept ProductReview's Posting Guidelines and Terms of Use Policy.

Not long had my 1st Burgman 400, great machine and I love the ride and power, I have had scooters before but not this big. I find that on windy days the Burgman seems too not like this weather at all, being buffeted around and hard to keep on line, with wind sometimes coming from all direction seems like the wheels want to slip from under me. I have been reading other questions about the windscreen being changed for a higher one, do you think that by doing this it might help with the problem, any info you can give would be great............ musicman

musicman asked on Dec 29, 2013

Answer this

I've got the 650 which is a completely different in terms of balance but I've ridden a 400 and I've done 65000km on a yamaha majesty. I've found them both surprisingly stable in wind. The difficulty is that there's no tank to grip with your knees but if you sit feet forward, you can 'hold' the bike by pressing against the backrest. The 'instability' comes from the wind hitting you. When your shoulders move they move the handlebars - which gets worse when you're tense & a bit nervous in the wind. Lean forward. Relax your elbows and wrists allowing your body to move independently of the handlebars. A bigger windscreen will help to keep the wind off your shoulders & therefore seem to help but in fact it will make the bike a bigger target in the wind.

Thank you for your information, will be doing as you suggest, get back too you on that and see how I go... thanks again.....musicman

I have done what you suggested Robin93 and have found you were absolutely correct about the seating position and relaxed arms and hands works for me every time. Thanks to you I now feel more confident with the handling and enjoying the experience of riding my Burgman 400...musicman

Can anyone please explain why used Burgman's are so expensive? There are many with over 50,000k's on them and are over 5 years old, an I don't understand why? Please help?

rixnrex asked on Oct 22, 2013

Answer this

Mine has now done 115,000km. The only failure I've had is a front wheel bearing fail (because it wasn't assembled correctly). Because their style hasn't changed it doesn't look out of date next to a brand new one. It is the most spectacular piece of engineering I've ever owned. I have a little scooter too which I also love - for different reasons, but when I get back on the Burgman it's like going from a crop duster to an F15 jet. It's graceful, stable, quiet, quick, comfortable and practical with storage, weather protection and economical compared to similar size bikes. To answer your question, it's basically a good machine. The only negative is finding a mechanic to service them. Most dealers are equipped to sell them. I've had some unpleasant experiences with dealers in Australia. I'm lucky in that I've since found a retired aircraft engineer who's had a Burgman of his own.

Thanks for that, but it doesn't explain the high price. I currently have a Piaggion X9 500 with over 53.000 k's on it. When in the NT, I can comfortably sit on 120-130 kph. It has more storage than a Burgman and the mirrors are better positioned. I have had no mechanical problems with it at all, but it's still only valued at around $4000/

The biggest difference between the Burgman and the Piaggios is that the Burgman is a twin cylinder. The piaggio is only a single. Most small bore scooters are single cylinder. A single cylinder will always vibrate more and be somewhat unpleasant. Larger the bore, in general, the rougher the ride with a single cylinder.

This isn't a reason for the higher cost but definitely a consideration for the end user who doesn't like numb bum. Anyway, second hand cost is only relative to what someone is willing to pay and how desperate the seller is to offload. Same goes for any second hand item. The Burgman is only warming up at 120.

Anyone had experience with wheelchair conversion?

Gut24 asked on Feb 20, 2013

See all 8 questions about Suzuki Burgman

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product details