The TM21 has been replaced by the newer Thermomix TM31 generation.

Review rating:
Generations:
  • 2 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Generation: TM21 Date Purchased: Feb 2008

The greatest kitchen tool

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 05, 2017

Thermomix 8+ years of great service. Produced 100s of great meals, drinks and saved us 1000s of dollars by cooking good food at home. Never missed beat, easy and safe to use. Goes in the Caravan when we go away, because it's so versitile and takes up minimal room. Expensive to buy but it soon pays for its self in money, knowledge of food and preparation of good food. Easy to clean and new recipes and ideas always online if you need and idea for a meal.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 11 helpful votes

Generation: TM21

Very Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2015

I purchased my TM21 reconditioned from an professional eBay seller in Germany - bit of a risk, but it's been brilliant. Including postage, only cost $600 - I would've love a brand new TM31 but I just couldn't afford $2000. Came with a 12 month warranty, although I'm not sure this was very practical from Europe to Australia.
Haven't had any mechanical issues with it - I feel it's probably better than the later models in this respect, as things like electronic touch screens and unnecessary moving parts are the things most likely to break down (I
've seen the fancy moving arms on the newest model and my first thought was, those are just inviting trouble!)
My friend has the TM31 and I do like her bowl better - I find the TM21 a bit too tall and narrow to scoop food out easily from the bottom, but apart from that, no difference and you can use all the same recipes. Where the TM31 has the ability to reverse the blade direction, you just put the speed at 1 or 2 on the TM21 and it has the same effect.
I use it for risotto a lot, bread, jam, fig paste (a LOT less messy!) and a couple of good cake and icing recipes.
I'm single, if you're feeding more than 4 people, the bowl will probably be a bit too small, but I love it for making big batches and freezing portions.
Only design feature I don't like (and the TM31 is the same) is the cheap little plastic measuring cup in the lid. I've never used it (if you can afford to buy a thermie, you probably already own measuring cups and a measuring jug) and if you were taught to cook as I was, you probably take the lid off pots and automatically place them upside down on the bench - my friend has broken at least 3 cups like this!
Lots of recipes on the thermomix online community and the Everyday Cookbook.
Very happy with this purchase.

Purchased at: eBay

Comments

Forgot to add the spatula isn't overly good, either. Useful in that it's designed to be able to hook the basket out easily, but in terms of scraping the bowl, my $2 K Mart one is far preferable. T... read more »

Kemps creek, Nsw

• 3 comments
  • 2 questions
  • 18 answers
  • 7 helpful votes

Generation: TM21

fantastic machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2015

Ive had my thermomix tm21 for 12 years now.its well worth every cent and hasnt skipped a beat , only thing ive replaced is a butterfly worth 25.00 ...there strong in there making..far from flimsy ,unlike other copys...the only thing i foundwith my tm21 was the jug was a little small for a family of 6 ..but the newer ones are alot bigger now....dont hesitate on price as over the years it will pay off...it does everything its supposed to do and more...keep thermomixing :)

Read 553 related reviews