Filter By:

Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: Luxury

will be buying fourth one (despite dealer experience)

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2015

• 5 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2015) Badge: V8 TDI R-Line

Fantastic Vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2015

Previous Touareg 2012 TDI V6. This is my 2nd Touareg, very surprising how good the fuel economy is 8.8l/100 at 110km. I've checked speedo and is only out 1kmh, doing 99@100 compared to 96@100 in V6TDI. I was offered a very good trade in on my original one at 83k km 3 years old. In relation to my first one Servicing differs from dealer to dealer. Best and cheapest service was at Sunshine Coast QLD.
Still early days to give review on this one as only done 1500km and 3 weeks old. VW touareg purchased to tow 23ft caravan.

• 4 questions
  • 15 answers
  • 47 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: V6 FSI

Absolute Rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2015

As a Volkswagen Touareg owner, I can not believe the amount of people who rave on about these vehicles. The modern Volkswagen has been riding on the reputation of well built vehicles from days of long ago. In my opinion these modern Volkswagen vehicles are just rubbish that are full of cheap perishable plastic parts that become brittle, and fail in Australian heat.

I made the mistake of purchasing a 2003 Volkswagen Touareg secondhand. Two days after my purchased the motor started missing. A visit to a mechanic sorted the problem with a comp
uter diagnostic scan, a compression test, a new set of ignition coils and set of spark plugs. All at a cost of $2700. Then a day later my Touareg developed a major coolant leak.

Being suspicious of my mechanics integrity I stuck my head under the bonnet to have a look. At the back of the engine I found the ancillary water pump connecter made from brittle plastic had cracked and fully separated from the motor. Then I noticed that every hose connector that has anything to do with a with the cooling system was made from perishable brittle plastic that was breaking apart as I fiddled with it. The main water pump at the front of the engine was also leaking. Another visit the the mechanic and a weeks wait, mainly for the parts that had to be ordered from the east coast my Touareg was finally back on the road for a cost of another $2400.

It is well documented that Touaregs are prone to power train problems and complete transmission failures. There are also many reports of propshaft centre bearing failures and electrical problems that cost thousands to repair. A quick google search will confirm this.

The internal controls are of poor quality and all the symbols on the frequently used buttons have worn beyond recognition. The bonnet and boot struts fail and have to be replaced if you don't like driving around with a 1.5 meter long stick.

The Touaregs V6 fuel efficiently it terrible, your better of with the couple more cylinders because there is little difference between the two in fuel efficiency.

The only good things I have to say about the Touareg is that they handle well on road and are a comfortable ride. The leather seats are of good quality and are durable. But these few good things do not justify the astronomical prices it costs to maintain these piles of junk.

It's a real shame that the quality of Volkswagens has become questionable in recant years. The quality shortcomings of this so called premium vehicle is unforgivable. I will never purchase another Volkswagen again.

I now lay in bed every night hoping that a meteorite falls to earth from out of space and destroys my Touareg so I can recoup some of my money back on insurance.

Until then the nightmare continues.....

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: V6 TDI

5yrs no problems

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2015

1or2 minor gliches servicing cost have been good $329.00 130,000k a lot has to be said for the way people drive

these vehicles as to brakes and tyres mine offroad now and again i will buy another 1 just a good allrounder
1st issue at 150,000k tail shaft replaced $1185.00 not uncommon apparently would still purchase another 1

• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2015)

Great car. Dishonest dealer service.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 10, 2015

I have no complaints about my Touareg. Best car I have owned. On long trips it reduces driver fatigue by half compared to my previous wheels. And low fuel bills are remarkable for a car of this size and solid build.

Services during the warranty period by official VW dealerships are another story. They tick everything off as being checked and refilled as necessary, but shortly afterwards I discover that essential basics like the windscreen washer tank are completely empty. Negligence? More like pure dishonesty. Complaints about the service sent to Volkswagen Australia have never been answered, which simply adds insult to injury.

• 1 helpful vote

Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: V6 TDI

It's bad (and expensive) news

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2014

My VW Touareg 2009 V6 TDI with 148Ks has just returned from the dealer after it stopped on Mother's Day 2014. The end result- a $13,000 bill when a high pressure fuel pump failed resulting in twisted camshafts. VW came to the party after the dealer submitted a "goodwill" claim otherwise the cost to me would have been in excess of $30,000. Get your minds around that! A sophisticated turbo diesel motor just 5 years old destroys itself due to a fuel pump, now it has a new motor. I was going to buy another one.... pity really.

+ It's a great touring car.

- It needed a new motor.

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2015) Badge: V6 TDI

Fantastic car and value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2014

+ Everthing

- Nothing

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: V10 TDI

I got rid of it

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2014

I had a v10 toureg because my friend had one. Bought it used from i do not want to say/
Had 78 k kms, fine for about 20 k kms, then
Flat tyre, did not know how to get a spare on, took 2 hours,
Then after it done 110 k kms, the tail shaft rubber went, $2,800 change, then
I had the alarm go off at the mcdonalds, next to a police div van, had to drive off because it would not go off, then one day the car would not turn over, wasnot the battery,
It cost me $ 2400 dollars for regional car dealer to get it going but it took him 34 days.

My pr
oblem was i paid around $ 75,000 for thatn2008 and
I sold it with problems in 2012 for $ 19,000
So maybe that is why they got rid of v10,
By the way, a big laugh out aloud was that i had to pull my friends car out of a mud patch about 15 cm deep
But i got bogged and all my electronic gizmo could not get me out
I was dragged out out by a friendly hilux ute guy

I loved the speed and torque and was a great van hauler
Great luxury but
Like my friend , he pranged the v10 and bought a new v8tdi

When he drove to darwin the catalytic converter sensor would not allow th car to go faster than 80 kms per hour.

He drove in the heat to darwin crawling up there and back to victoria in a $ 129,000 car that could only do 80 kms per hour
He was steamed and i guess
I am asking
Is it me but i loved the golf tdi
But saying goodbye to toureg was a sweet sorrow

Looking forward to genuine feedback

I am looking forward to new 2013 v6
Or should i get a real 4wd

+ The raw acceleration up the hills and the bends of great ocean road

- Every time a red light or yellow light came on, had to go to regional dealers and mate $ 2450 to get the car started

Sydney, Australia

• 2 answers
  • 1 helpful vote

Generation: 7P (2011-2015) Badge: V8 TDI R-Line

Off to the dealers today. R line 2013

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2014

+ Comfy to drive, safety and the 360 aerial view camera

- Too many. Rear kick plate. Cruise control.

I managed to get the kick plate at the back fixed. Would i buy another Toureg i don't think so! Then all vehicles seem to have their faults. The tappers and transmission on this vehicle seems to ha... read more »

Generation: 7P (2011-2015) Badge: V6 TDI

On my second one

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 28, 2013

First one (MY08 V6TDI) did 100,000km & now in a MY13 V6TDI with Driver Assist Pack.

Both are great vehicles. Miss some features from the first like opening tailgate window, abundance for storage pockets and centre armrest arrangement however new 8 speed gearbox and few more kW in the new one allow for an performance drive when required and improved consumption of 2lt/100km.

+ Drive a luxury quick SUV without the "[censored word removed]" factor

- Sometimes think VW should take Touareg owners more seroiusly.

Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: V8

Beautiful vehicle....but if you get a lemon like I did you better have deep pockets

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2013

I traded an old (1979) Porshe 911 plus a substantial chunk of Canadian dollars for a new V8 Touareg in 2004. At around 30,000 km the check engine light kept coming on. Under warranty I believed that well worn line "every checks out ok on the computer" line. Some time around then a faint ticking sound could be noticed if one was aware to listen to it.At 75,000 km or so I was told that"there may be a timing chain problem"
At 105,000 km the noise was very loud but had gradually increased. The local dealer had the vehicle from April 5 to July 12 2013 before the problem was solved.
The bill : 3 times the value of the vehicle.!!
Volkswagen Canada totally uninterested in my plight....

This is an Australian review site Michael. Your car is not sold here.

• 5 helpful votes

Generation: 7L (2002-2010)

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2012

Compared to Landcruiser and Patrol it doesn't feel like you are driving a truck. Clever styling and a heap of accessories make it much better value for money than a Prado, Landcruiser or Nissan. Not to mention the fuel economy..I average around 9.5 l/100km's..with a range of over 900 kilometres per tank.

+ Great economy in my 2.5 Diesel. Smart looking and just glides on the highway. Also great off-road in wet and muddy country. Overall an excellent package.

- Not much I don't like about it.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 2 pages

Currently looking at 2015 Touareg v6 180. Main purpose is for general use and towing our van. Which at 3500 it is more than capable of doing. My concern is the space saving tyre. In the unfortunate event of getting a puncture can you tow a van while having this fitted to your vehicle I am of the speed and driving distance restrictions. Has anyone had to tow with space saving tyre fitted?

Wayne asked on Oct 19, 2015

Answer this

most european wagons have space savers not a particually bright feature for australia i myself bought my touareg with a spare wheel carrier as oe no longer available i would definetely be buying a rim to throw on the roof or in the caravan, in saying that these wagons effortlessly tow at affordable fuel cxonsumption /comfort

7L (2002-2010)

I'm looking at buying a used 2004 Touareg 7L TDI v6 it's has 160000 on the clock. I'd like to know if I will be making the wrong choice in investing in the car. Are there any problems to look out for? How much does servicing cost? Just basically any advice anyone can give me with deselect engine, cars, VWs and 4 by 4s

azimiahm asked on Jun 09, 2015

Service is expensive
Centre tail shaft bearing is a common fault and expensive to replace
Diff bearings are a common fault and costs about 5 k to fix
Stay clear I just purchased a 2005 with 120 k on the clock 1 owner and in showroom condition
Worst descision I have ever made I have had nothing but problems since I purchased it
I am now taking it into VW tomorrow as there is coolant in cylinder 5&6
Stay clear if you want to keep your money and be happy

Is there a tyre/wheel combination for the toureg for serious4wd activity/

nick francis asked on Jul 15, 2013

Answer this

pirelli scorpions or falken wild trek are what i've got on at the moment 17x65x255

See all 5 questions about Volkswagen Touareg

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details