2003-2014 Volkswagen Touareg Reviews

Product Details

Years of production: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Supreme Safety and Comfort in a 4WD.
No matter what little surprises life has in store for you on the road, you can handle just about anything in the Volkswagen Touareg 4WD. Armed with extensive safety features to equip you for the unexpected, and designed to offer the highest levels of comfort and driving pleasure, the Touareg delivers new standards of excellence in a 4WD.

Premium Features.
What's more, with Touareg, premium features come standard. A generous portfolio of sophisticated comfort and safety enhancements come standard across the entire Touareg range - a 6-disc CD changer, rain-sensing wipers, dual-zone climate control air conditioning, front, side and curtain airbags, parking distance sensors, cruise control, automatic headlights and many other ‘little luxuries' are now just part of the package.

Model Range:

Official Volkswagen site →

Show more details

It's bad (and expensive) news

reviewed on Jun 26, 2014

My VW Touareg 2009 V6 TDI with 148Ks has just returned from the dealer after it stopped on Mother's Day 2014. The end result- a $13,000 bill when a high pressure fuel pump failed resulting in twisted camshafts. VW came to the party after the dealer submitted a "goodwill" claim otherwise the cost to me would have been in excess of $30,000. Get your minds around that! A sophisticated turbo diesel motor just 5 years old destroys itself due to a fuel pump, now it has a new motor. I was going to buy another one.... pity really.

+ It's a great touring car.

- It needed a new motor.

Fantastic car and value for money

reviewed on May 31, 2014

I have owned my 2012 V6180TDI for 1.5 years done 55,000km still on original tyres (not sure how the other reviewer only got 35,000km guess its all about how you drive) Fuel is great average 8L/100 city driving and in about 7.2 on highway only work (have been as low as 6.8l/100km. Had some initial electrical gremlins but they disappeared. Local dealer super helpful (Kevin Dennis VW) Love the heated seats when back is sore and on cold winter mornings. Dream to drive on long trips. Great towing capacity and never feels like its working hard. Interior standing up to a couple of kids as well. Service costs reasonable (again another reviewer quoting $15k!!!!! maybe they meant 1.5K even that is more than I am being charged for major service. Anyhow if you can afford to buy you should be able to afford to service!! Being in the trade I know the value of dealer servicing

+ Everthing

- Nothing

Love it. Drivers Car.

reviewed on Jan 23, 2014

Purchased new 2 years ago, Driver assistance pack, Sports pack, Comfort pack, everyday drive and tow Vehicle, 46K kms to date, cheaper to service than the Toyota I had. Fantastic fuel economy, average 6.8l/100k's highway driving at 110kmph, average 7.2l/100k's at 100kmph. Great tyre wear, replace all 4 tyres at 45830km's and replaced with same brand and type 255/55R18 Goodyear F1.

+ Active Cruise on highways is fantastic, Air suspension great ride, Great for Towing van 2.5t, loads of Torque and returning 15l/100k's. Very reliable.

- Active Cruise drops out in tunnels on occasions and dealerships don't know how to fix.

I got rid of it

reviewed on Jan 14, 2014

I had a v10 toureg because my friend had one. Bought it used from i do not want to say/
Had 78 k kms, fine for about 20 k kms, then
Flat tyre, did not know how to get a spare on, took 2 hours,
Then after it done 110 k kms, the tail shaft rubber went, $2,800 change, then
I had the alarm go off at the mcdonalds, next to a police div van, had to drive off because it would not go off, then one day the car would not turn over, wasnot the battery,
It cost me $ 2400 dollars for regional car dealer to get it going but it took him 34 days.

My problem was i paid around $ 75,000 for thatn2008 and
I sold it with problems in 2012 for $ 19,000
So maybe that is why they got rid of v10,
By the way, a big laugh out aloud was that i had to pull my friends car out of a mud patch about 15 cm deep
But i got bogged and all my electronic gizmo could not get me out
I was dragged out out by a friendly hilux ute guy

I loved the speed and torque and was a great van hauler
Great luxury but
Like my friend , he pranged the v10 and bought a new v8tdi

When he drove to darwin the catalytic converter sensor would not allow th car to go faster than 80 kms per hour.

He drove in the heat to darwin crawling up there and back to victoria in a $ 129,000 car that could only do 80 kms per hour
He was steamed and i guess
I am asking
Is it me but i loved the golf tdi
But saying goodbye to toureg was a sweet sorrow

Looking forward to genuine feedback

I am looking forward to new 2013 v6
Tdi
Or should i get a real 4wd

+ The raw acceleration up the hills and the bends of great ocean road

- Every time a red light or yellow light came on, had to go to regional dealers and mate $ 2450 to get the car started

Off to the dealers today. R line 2013

reviewed on Jan 06, 2014

It's not often I write a negative review. I thought Id write it now and add any further comments later. Hopefully positive. Bought the R line canyon grey with roof 2013. It's the first time in a car I can honestly say you do see the petrol tank decrease especially when looking for parking in the heat. Have some issues with the back tail gate kick plate coming off. Transmission not clicking into gear and the motor just not running right. Also auto assist cruise control not working. The fact I have to take my time to take my new car to a dealer really annoys me. Will see how we go at the end of the day. Yes there is two children car seats in the Back . Luckily wife not back at work. Otherwise I would have been stuck.

+ Comfy to drive, safety and the 360 aerial view camera

- Too many. Rear kick plate. Cruise control.

Comments

VASMAN - I managed to get the kick plate at the back fixed. Would i buy another Toureg i don't think so! Then all vehicles seem to have their faults. The tappers and transmission on this vehicle seems to ha... read more »

On my second one

reviewed on Oct 26, 2013

First one (MY08 V6TDI) did 100,000km & now in a MY13 V6TDI with Driver Assist Pack.

Both are great vehicles. Miss some features from the first like opening tailgate window, abundance for storage pockets and centre armrest arrangement however new 8 speed gearbox and few more kW in the new one allow for an performance drive when required and improved consumption of 2lt/100km.

+ Drive a luxury quick SUV without the "[censored word removed]" factor

- Sometimes think VW should take Touareg owners more seroiusly.

Beautiful vehicle....but if you get a lemon like I did you better have deep pockets

reviewed on Jul 19, 2013

I traded an old (1979) Porshe 911 plus a substantial chunk of Canadian dollars for a new V8 Touareg in 2004.At around 30,000 km the check engine light kept coming on. Under warranty I believed that well worn line "every checks out ok on the computer" line. Some time around then a faint ticking sound could be noticed if one was aware to listen to it.At 75,000 km or so I was told that"there may be a timing chain problem"
At 105,000 km the noise was very loud but had gradually increased. The local dealer had the vehicle from April 5 to July 12 2013 before the problem was solved.
The bill : 3 times the value of the vehicle.!!
Volkswagon Canada totally uninterested in my plight....
Comments

Burnt-Twice - This is an Australian review site Michael. Your car is not sold here.

Scared owner!

reviewed on Jul 31, 2012

I have a 2008 3.0L TDi first registered Oct 09 - done 40k. Tyres completely gone at 35k, all brakes had to be replaced at 38k. Now we have a coolant leak (fairly major repair but under warranty) - read up on some of the forums only to discover 120k service could cost $15k !!
Therfore the pleasure of owning the vehicle is now completely overshadowed by the fear of massive repair and maintenance costs. Rolls Royces would cost no more than these sorts of bills.
Little point in owning one of these if the cost of maintaining it is so expensive that you become scared of any kind of engine fault.
Vehicle is going up for sale!
ps I have had 3 landrover Discoveries and service and maintenance costs were fair and reasonable - I remember the 100k service was around $1500.
Sorry Touareg owners but unless your loaded with plenty of spare $$$, owning one of these could cost you heaps - mine is going.
Cheers from Bushy

Purchased at: Volkswagen Dealers

+ Ride, vision, general comfort, powerful

- Potential mega costs to maintain. Radio/CD designed for European use - most features of music system are redundant. Soft trim throughout is too easily damaged or torn. Drive computer is not user friendly, location of battery is stupid (Under passenger seat!)

• 4 people found this helpful, do you?
Comments

Tobac - I have not had this experience with my 06 TDI. Brakes and tyres replaced at 100,000km. Extensively used for towing 2 tons plus. Don't believe the suggested costs of servicing. Someone having a len... read more »

Mark Witteman - Brake and tyre wear at that sort of km is always a result of driving habits. Don't believe forum on service costs either

I love this car

reviewed on Aug 18, 2011

I've been driving this car sporadically for 2 years. Every time I get back in the driver's seat I'm a happier man. Truly. It's a very responsive vehicle engine wise, and the handling is suprisingly nimble and precise for such a big car.

It's evident a lot of time has been put into thinking of all the little ways to make this car a joy to be in and drive. From simple things like oversized side mirrors (we're talking I can see what someone's eating in the car behind me) to technical elements such as (this is where I prove I don't know technical car speak), it's a winner.

On top of all this it gives you that feeling that all good-looking big cars do - power. This is not to be underestimated. Even Tom Cruise would feel tall stepping out of this beast.

+ Everything is tip top

- CD player plays up ocassionally

• 10 people found this helpful, do you?

reviewed on Jan 02, 2010

As I have heard others say, this is a monster of a vehicle. It performs brilliantly.
I researched and tested other vehicles in the class and am sure I made the right choice with the Touareg.
The process from order to delivery was professionally handled - well done Gerald Slaven, Belconnen.

+ We purchased a 2009 Touareg V6 TDI in November and we are extremely pleased with the purchase. The ride is excellent, the standard of finish very high as is the level of safety.
The effortless power when overtaking, great towing capacity and excellent fuel economy keep the smiles coming. I have travelled only 1500kms so far and already achieving 10 litres/100km city and belive it or not, 7.9kms per 100kms highway.

- I don't get enough time to drive it as much as I would like.

• 13 people found this helpful, do you?
Comments

Rossco - Its now 5 years since purchasing the Touareg and still have to admit the Touareg is an excellent vehicle and plan buying a new one when the new model is released early 2015. Unfortunately what fai... read more »

reviewed on Nov 16, 2009

The Touareg V10 is a great touring vehicle with excellent power and fuel economy. I would recommend it for anyone who travels a lot, but would keep it for the highway where it excels and use a town car for the city. You will pay for what you get wrt maintenance costs - servicing and tyres are expensive, but after experiencing this car on a trip, it's worth every cent.

+ Have had the V10 since Jun 07 and travelled 150,000km, mostly between Vic and country and north Qld. This is a magnificent touring vehicle with tons of grunt yet returns at least 10km/l average; best has been around 12km/l and worst 8km/l around town. Great handlng on the highway but tyre grip can be a problem if you decide to go exploring off road, especially in the wet - recommend a set of 18" AT's for snow and off road work. Brakes are absolutely unreal - direct comparison with Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne - same parts! My wife and I have spent many 12-14 hour days travelling in this car and have arrived at our destination feeling fantastic and ready for business. This car is effectively a Cayenne where you get to pocket the extra cash instead of flashing a keyring. Overall, an excellent vehicle which has had no problems (apart from below)- no regrets!

- I have the full size spare wheel carrier - why any vehicle which ventures into the real Australia does not have a real spare tyre is beyond me - space savers should be banned. Servicing is expensive, but I'm wondering whether costs are inflated somewhat - the bane of European marques in Oz. The vehicle has had no problems apart from those caused by the VW service network - hope VW can get their act together re support for this great vehicle in the future. The car can seem a bit big in the city, especially in tight areas. Tyres can be an unwelcome expense as they are not cheap!

• 12 people found this helpful, do you?

Good

reviewed on Jan 14, 2009

I recently road tested an r50 model back to back with the Range Rover sport for a photo shoot the R50 was better in every way. When you compared just simple things like wire loom security the VW should it was a "next level" vehicle. The handling thru wet mountain roads thru the back of Kyogle was without fault and the car definetely is more capable then the average driver. Off road the only thing that let it down was it's tyres, other then that it could keep with the Range Rover all day.

+ Fantastic fit and finish, I found the trim to be of exceptional quality and the panel fit to be well above average. Made the Range Rover look very 2nd class. The V10 motor in the R50 is a superb bit of engineering.

- Servicing costs very high, questions about the longevity of the transmission. Tyres not suited to Australian conditions (wore out in 25,000km)

• 7 people found this helpful, do you?

1 of 2 pages

2003-2014 Volkswagen Touareg Questions

Is there a tyre/wheel combination for the toureg for serious4wd activity/

nick francis asked on Jul 15, 2013

Provide an answer →
I am looking for a comfortable vehicle that can pull a loaded horsefloat in steep hills but still be comfortable and fuel efficient enough to be my every day car around town. I am probably going to go for a Mitsubishi Triton Dual Cab as I know the back seats are comfortable (unlike a lot of dual cabs) and it has enough power - the only reason I started looking at the Touareg was for the extra comfort and good fuel consumption (diesel). Am I barking up the wrong tree given it is obviously expensive service costs and more expensive to buy in the first place? We live in country NSW and don't do much off-roading, if any.

J Heath asked on May 29, 2013

Read 1 answer →
2004 Touareg. Problem starting. VW workshop says faulty electronic steering lock control unit. Apparently attached to steering wheel shaft. Am told have to replace unit plus steering shaft as not possible to buy control unit as a separate item . Quoted $4000. Is there another option?

Terry asked on May 17, 2013

Read 1 answer →

Have you used 2003-2014 Volkswagen Touareg or want to learn more about it?

Write a review Ask a question

Brand managers

If you manage Volkswagen products, register now and take advantage of Product Review's Brand Management Platform that allows you to submit public replies to customer questions, reviews and comments.