Generations:

• 9 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2016) Badge: 150 TDi Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Touareg 2016 V6 TDI

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2016

Bought my Touareg new in September 2016 after owning 2 Nissan Navara utes for the last 8 years. I wanted something more comfortable than the ute and it needed to be able to pull our caravan. Unfortunately Nissan no longer make a diesel wagon that will tow 3 - 3.5t. I drove a Fortuner - too noisy and a hard ride. Drove the Pajero Sport and would have bought one if the dealer had wanted to do a deal. The Touareg however is in another league. Very comfortable, well equipped and plenty of torque for towing and grunt for overtaking from the lovely s ix cylinder diesel. To drive, you wouldn't know it was a diesel as its so quiet. Fuel consumption averages 7.4 litres/100km but on the highway i can get down to 6.1 and over 1000km from a tank full. Towing our 2.8t van, it drops to 13 - 14 litres/100km.
With the seats folded down, i got a full sized hot water tank in it so plenty of carrying space. The rear seats slide forward to increase the boot space, but they also slide back and recline to improve passenger comfort. Never thought heated seats were an attractive option in Queensland but they are great for a bad back. Its done 11,000km now and so far so good. Hope the servicing from VW is as good as the service i received from Nissan. Watch this space for an update.

Generation: 7P (2011-2016) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: Sep 2014

Best car I've ever owned.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 29, 2016

Have been driving euro cars for many years including Mercedes 320 and BMW X5 and can honesty say the Touareg is in a class of its own, not that it doesn't have its niggles, but very minor. Powerful and smooth with amazing fuel consumption, have now covered 50,000 Kim's with an average fuel consumption on the highway around 7.2lts per 100 Kim's, best was 6.8lts, that has to put a smile on your dial. Seats and interior is comfy with easy to use instrumentation, Service costs are actually cheaper that my Father in laws Mitsubishi ASX. Highly recommended.

Generation: 7P (2011-2016) Badge: 150TDi Element

Comfort, Drive, Practical

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2016

I spent a long time researching and test driving cars before selecting this one. My major requirements was to have a large comfortable interior size for family touring yet still be small enough for city driving and parking. Other options were Mercedes GLC which had better tech but was smaller, Q5 smaller, Volvo xc60 smaller, X3 smaller and expensive when optioned, X5 was nice and good size but more money than budgeted, Kluger ticked boxes but did not handle or drive as well as the others.

Positives: Quality build and soft touch surfaces all
well laid out. Instrument cluster and dials look great. All the interior and exterior lighting is great and the newly designed DRL's are one of the sexiest on the road. For me the seats are probably the most comfortable I've tested right up there next to Volvo's. Kids will like the back seats as they have vents and good visibility out the windows. It has a great turing circle and drives and handles tight and precisely. When pushed it's exciting to drive and you can almost feel it's shared Porche Cayenne DNA. Boot space is large and easily swallows prams, ikea boxes etc

Negatives: The central RNS 850 computer infotainment system is good but a step down in tech compared to whats in some of the more newly designed volkswagens. The stereo system sound is above average but not exceptional and VW Australia doesn't offer the Dynaudio upgrade that other countries get. Whats I find bizarre and a little frustrating is that VW doesn't subscribe to live traffic updates in australia and they don't support DAB+ radio which for 2016 is odd when you can get that tech in many cheaper japanese cars.

Orange

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 2 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2016) Badge: V6 TDI

Nice car? But I will never buy another one!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2016

I have the 2012 180Kw with 4Motion, the performance and drive of this car is great, noise within cabin is great and the Audio system is awesome, but the reliability of the car is very poor for a $100K plus car, and the general support from VW customer care is not good enough. You may ask why I rate the car so poorly, the motor has come out three times for oil leaks, (the second removal and repair lasted 11 days before it was leaking again) the computer system has failed and had to be replaced, taking 3 weeks for the dealer to recode the system. The car continues to fail, safety systems work when they want to, cruise control "what is this feature?" this has been one of the most unreliable features in the car, as soon as any safety system does not work correctly, the cruise control shuts down. I've also lost count how many times the central locking system has failed, and the auto function on the windows, now don't use the navigation system for anything that requires you to get there on time as its logic is useless. Now if VW Australia had taken the time to listen and support their customers when something goes wrong then this story would have not gone so badly but to have a car off the road for 26 weeks in VW workshops is not good enough. #Touaregs fail in big ways

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Update on the Touareg, its now leaking for the fourth time and has two new oil leaks, Confidence in the dealer network is very low, considering the servicing dealer did not notice the latest oil le... read more »

• 3 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2016) Badge: V6 TDI

An excellent touring vehicle with genine off-road credibilty

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2016

I have 2014 4XMotion fitted with the 8 speed low range gearbox, diff locks and adjustable air suspension. This is an extremely capable off-road tourer with torque to burn especially when pulling a van. Great silent comfort and a top performer. The off-road software works extremely well in concert with the adjustable suspension and will embarrass many noted off-roaders. A terrific car with lots of class.

Mackay

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Generation: 7P (2011-2016) Badge: V6 TDI

As comfortable as a mobile lounge chair with great performance and road handling.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2016

Can drive this car all day and finish with no tiredness or aches. The multiple seat adjustments allow all types to find the perfect position for driving. As a tall person, the large seats with lots of legroom make driving a pleasure. Relations of mine commented how quite and smooth the car drove down the highway.

Melbourne

• 2 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: R5 TDI Luxury

Nice care but the R5 diesel a bit under powered - Get the V6 (much better)

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2016

What a very nice car, loaded with every luxury you could think of, and the only option mine didn't have that would have been nice was the air suspension. It drove beautifully, handled well, had manually selectable hi/lo ratios and diff lock and performed well off of the tarmac. The leather seats were lovely and comfortable, had loads of adjustments and were heated too which was great on cold mornings. I have only one criticism and that was the power output of the R5 diesel engine which was a little under powered and also a tad on the noisy side . The 3.0 V6 Touaregs are much better and I would have been happier with one of those as we tow a caravan. Servicing costs were not outrageous for this size of car, but spare parts were! I had to replace the compressor for the air con and VW wanted close to $2000 for the part. I bought the same compressor from Europe for $600 and had it posted to me and then VW kindly fitted it for me. My car had done over 250,000kms but reliability overall was good. Would I buy another one........hell yeah......but it would be a 3.0 diesel V6.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Great car, very happy!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 26, 2016

I waited six months after I purchased the car before posting a review to ensure I was being fair and had adequate opportunity to test the car under different circumstances. The car has been very impressive, quiet, smooth, responsive (heaps of torque) and economical. A brilliant tow vehicle without the bulk of other 3 tonne towing capacity vehicles and when not being used as a tow vehicle drives more like a sporty sedan than a floaty SUV.

Purchased at: Volkswagen Dealers

port macquarie

• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2016) Badge: 150 TDi

How disappointing, my new 2014 Touareg is a lemon

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 25, 2016

Purchased new in July 2014 my Touareg 150 Tdi is a great car to drive. So excited I was. Comfortable, efficient well though out and driver friendly. Trouble is, it doesn't go anywhere. Since 45k the car has been off the road around ten weeks with. Oil seal leak between motor and gearbox, idle issues, fuel issues, stalling, ecu problems, glow plugs dying, stalling in traffic, missing and a litany of other, undetermined fuel supply, control type issues. Now the latest is they don't know what's wrong with it. So off the road for another two weeks so far. Dealer has been helpful but I have been driving around in a crappy Triton ute, hire cars and general cars not worth anywhere near $65k, the price of my car. So somehow my money has been gleefully accepted by vw but I get a lemon. Where is the justice in that. Disgraceful car so new can be so. Terrible. No one wants to buy them with the pollution stuff. So resale is nightmare too. Finally vw Australia is involved lets see what that does not sure why it took them so long to show an interest surely this car would be flagging all bells. My friends and neighbours think it's a joke, an embarrassment as they never see me in my car lately. They all laugh at me and feel it's a disgrace that vw can make such a crap car and we have no recourse for a refund.
Any other product you would just ring up and they would replace it under consumer law. Somehow. Cars are immune from that. Imagine paying for all this work. Luckily under warranty but I just want out. Had an Audi Q5 before 180k before it died. Hard life dirt roads. Great car never off the road fir more than two days, once in 7 years. Trouble is no audi dealer where I live in port Macquarie so thought vw having a local dealer would be the go.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Update VW and I came to an agreement and i now have the latest 150 tdi with sat nav etc.Just drove it to Melbourne and its a great car. If it stays working it will be excellent.It is significantly... read more »

Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: Luxury

will be buying fourth one (despite dealer experience)

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2015

Biloela

• 1 question
  • 7 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2016) Badge: V8 TDI R-Line

Fantastic Vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2015

Previous Touareg 2012 TDI V6. This is my 2nd Touareg, very surprising how good the fuel economy is 8.8l/100 at 110km. I've checked speedo and is only out 1kmh, doing 99@100 compared to 96@100 in V6TDI. I was offered a very good trade in on my original one at 83k km 3 years old. In relation to my first one Servicing differs from dealer to dealer. Best and cheapest service was at Sunshine Coast QLD.
Still early days to give review on this one as only done 1500km and 3 weeks old. VW touareg purchased to tow 23ft caravan.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 75 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: V6 FSI

Absolute Rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2015

As a Volkswagen Touareg owner, I can not believe the amount of people who rave on about these vehicles. The modern Volkswagen has been riding on the reputation of well built vehicles from days of long ago. In my opinion these modern Volkswagen vehicles are just rubbish that are full of cheap perishable plastic parts that become brittle, and fail in Australian heat.

I made the mistake of purchasing a 2003 Volkswagen Touareg secondhand. Two days after my purchased the motor started missing. A visit to a mechanic sorted the problem with a comp
uter diagnostic scan, a compression test, a new set of ignition coils and set of spark plugs. All at a cost of $2700. Then a day later my Touareg developed a major coolant leak.

Being suspicious of my mechanics integrity I stuck my head under the bonnet to have a look. At the back of the engine I found the ancillary water pump connecter made from brittle plastic had cracked and fully separated from the motor. Then I noticed that every hose connector that has anything to do with a with the cooling system was made from perishable brittle plastic that was breaking apart as I fiddled with it. The main water pump at the front of the engine was also leaking. Another visit the the mechanic and a weeks wait, mainly for the parts that had to be ordered from the east coast my Touareg was finally back on the road for a cost of another $2400.

It is well documented that Touaregs are prone to power train problems and complete transmission failures. There are also many reports of propshaft centre bearing failures and electrical problems that cost thousands to repair. A quick google search will confirm this.

The internal controls are of poor quality and all the symbols on the frequently used buttons have worn beyond recognition. The bonnet and boot struts fail and have to be replaced if you don't like driving around with a 1.5 meter long stick.

The Touaregs V6 fuel efficiently it terrible, your better of with the couple more cylinders because there is little difference between the two in fuel efficiency.

The only good things I have to say about the Touareg is that they handle well on road and are a comfortable ride. The leather seats are of good quality and are durable. But these few good things do not justify the astronomical prices it costs to maintain these piles of junk.

It's a real shame that the quality of Volkswagens has become questionable in recant years. The quality shortcomings of this so called premium vehicle is unforgivable. I will never purchase another Volkswagen again.

I now lay in bed every night hoping that a meteorite falls to earth from out of space and destroys my Touareg so I can recoup some of my money back on insurance.

Until then the nightmare continues.....

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 3 pages

7L (2002-2010)

[Hi I am considering buying a 2007 touareg to tow my 24ft jayco sterling which is fitted with esc{anti sway device}would i need a hayman reece leveling kit? The vehicle has 78000km on the clock private sale would $25000 be too much topay regards Peter

Doreen russell asked on Nov 17, 2016

Answer this

My handbook for the VW specifically says no WDH so I tow mine without but my ball weight is only 140kgs. I do think it would tow better with one and i did see a Touareg last week pulling a big van with a WDH on the hitch. My understanding is that if the car you are considering has the automatic ride leveling adjustable suspension, then a WDH is definitely not advised as it will work against your adjustable suspension. I suggest you talk to a VW dealer and talk to a towbar specialist to see what they suggest.

Thanks ken
Peter

we have a 2007 toureg v6 just wondering if anyone else has towed a carvan with this year model? it says it will tow up to 3500 thanks

geoff&annie asked on Jun 01, 2016

Answer this

We have been towing caravans with Touareg and we are now on our second one.
Yes the Touareg does a brilliant job of towing with the air suspension. Advice...take it easy for the first kilometre or so to let the car sort out the towing load, as you don't use a weight distribution hitch with the air suspension. After the first kilometre or so, just relax and enjoy the ride. Remember that a WDH is recommended for a spring type suspension.
VW listed the ball weight at 350kg up until the 2014 when it reduced the ball weight o 280kg, however the 350kg tow weight remains.

Currently looking at 2015 Touareg v6 180. Main purpose is for general use and towing our van. Which at 3500 it is more than capable of doing. My concern is the space saving tyre. In the unfortunate event of getting a puncture can you tow a van while having this fitted to your vehicle I am of the speed and driving distance restrictions. Has anyone had to tow with space saving tyre fitted?

Wayne asked on Oct 19, 2015

Answer this

most european wagons have space savers not a particually bright feature for australia i myself bought my touareg with a spare wheel carrier as oe no longer available i would definetely be buying a rim to throw on the roof or in the caravan, in saying that these wagons effortlessly tow at affordable fuel cxonsumption /comfort

I have towed a caravan with mine 2012, with air suspension, did not require any sway bars, the air suspension did everything spot on, motor pulled with no issues and would go as fast as you would need to go, but my car has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned, dealers lack skilled tech's to work on the vehicle.

See all 7 questions about Volkswagen Touareg

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details