• 1 answer

will be buying forth one despite dealer experience

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2014

we had 2003 from new for 7 years and 240,000 km. sold due to engine component dilute caused by dealer servicing in attention. have switched servicing to independent and all good. that dealer bought and I sold vehicle and we believe that now in 2014 it's going strong at 480,000km. bought a 2009 after that and only had for a year and sold because we didn't need two Touaregs at once. I was wrong and Read more should not have sold.
in 2010 bought a 2005 petrol which we have put 150,000km onto it in 4 years. Switchgear shoeing white plastic underneath which is annoying and unsightly but other than that it's good.
no FWD is cheap to run but I do not believe some of the Proces quoted here on this forum.
A friend had a v10 and had problems that were due again to dealer inexperience and inadequate training on vehicle and how to deal with luxury car buyers

PERTH

• 11 comments
  • 4 questions
  • 8 answers
  • 45 helpful votes

Absolute Rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2014

As a Volkswagen Touareg owner, I can not believe the amount of people who rave on about these vehicles. The modern Volkswagen has been riding on the reputation of well built vehicles from days of long ago. In my opinion these modern Volkswagen vehicles are just rubbish that are full of cheap perishable plastic parts that become brittle, and fail in Australian heat. I made the mistake of purcha Read more sing a 2003 Volkswagen Touareg secondhand. Two days after my purchased the motor started missing. A visit to a mechanic sorted the problem with a computer diagnostic scan, a compression test, a new set of ignition coils and set of spark plugs. All at a cost of $2700. Then a day later my Touareg developed a major coolant leak.

Being suspicious of my mechanics integrity I stuck my head under the bonnet to have a look. At the back of the engine I found the ancillary water pump connecter made from brittle plastic had cracked and fully separated from the motor. Then I noticed that every hose connector that has anything to do with a with the cooling system was made from perishable brittle plastic that was breaking apart as I fiddled with it. The main water pump at the front of the engine was also leaking. Another visit the the mechanic and a weeks wait, mainly for the parts that had to be ordered from the east coast my Touareg was finally back on the road for a cost of another $2400.

It is well documented that Touaregs are prone to power train problems and complete transmission failures. There are also many reports of propshaft centre bearing failures and electrical problems that cost thousands to repair. A quick google search will confirm this.

The internal controls are of poor quality and all the symbols on the frequently used buttons have worn beyond recognition. The bonnet and boot struts fail and have to be replaced if you don't like driving around with a 1.5 meter long stick.

The Touaregs V6 fuel efficiently it terrible, your better of with the couple more cylinders because there is little difference between the two in fuel efficiency.

The only good things I have to say about the Touareg is that they handle well on road and are a comfortable ride. The leather seats are of good quality and are durable. But these few good things do not justify the astronomical prices it costs to maintain these piles of junk.

It's a real shame that the quality of Volkswagens has become questionable in recant years. The quality shortcomings of this so called premium vehicle is unforgivable. I will never purchase another Volkswagen again.

I now lay in bed every night hoping that a meteorite falls to earth from out of space and destroys my Touareg so I can recoup some of my money back on insurance.

Until then the nightmare continues.....

2 people found this helpful, do you?

It's bad (and expensive) news

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2014

My VW Touareg 2009 V6 TDI with 148Ks has just returned from the dealer after it stopped on Mother's Day 2014. The end result- a $13,000 bill when a high pressure fuel pump failed resulting in twisted camshafts. VW came to the party after the dealer submitted a "goodwill" claim otherwise the cost to me would have been in excess of $30,000. Get your minds around that! A sophisticated turbo diesel motor just 5 years old destroys itself due to a fuel pump, now it has a new motor. I was going to buy another one.... pity really.

+ It's a great touring car.

- It needed a new motor.

1 person found this helpful, do you?

Melbourne

• 1 comment

Fantastic car and value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2014

I have owned my 2012 V6180TDI for 1.5 years done 55,000km still on original tyres (not sure how the other reviewer only got 35,000km guess its all about how you drive) Fuel is great average 8L/100 city driving and in about 7.2 on highway only work (have been as low as 6.8l/100km. Had some initial electrical gremlins but they disappeared. Local dealer super helpful (Kevin Dennis VW) Love the heated Read more seats when back is sore and on cold winter mornings. Dream to drive on long trips. Great towing capacity and never feels like its working hard. Interior standing up to a couple of kids as well. Service costs reasonable (again another reviewer quoting $15k!!!!! maybe they meant 1.5K even that is more than I am being charged for major service. Anyhow if you can afford to buy you should be able to afford to service!! Being in the trade I know the value of dealer servicing

+ Everthing

- Nothing

Biloela

Love it. Drivers Car.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 23, 2014

Purchased new 2 years ago, Driver assistance pack, Sports pack, Comfort pack, everyday drive and tow Vehicle, 46K kms to date, cheaper to service than the Toyota I had. Fantastic fuel economy, average 6.8l/100k's highway driving at 110kmph, average 7.2l/100k's at 100kmph. Great tyre wear, replace all 4 tyres at 45830km's and replaced with same brand and type 255/55R18 Goodyear F1. Read more

+ Active Cruise on highways is fantastic, Air suspension great ride, Great for Towing van 2.5t, loads of Torque and returning 15l/100k's. Very reliable.

- Active Cruise drops out in tunnels on occasions and dealerships don't know how to fix.

NOBLE PARK NORTH

I got rid of it

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 14, 2014

I had a v10 toureg because my friend had one. Bought it used from i do not want to say/ Had 78 k kms, fine for about 20 k kms, then Flat tyre, did not know how to get a spare on, took 2 hours, Then after it done 110 k kms, the tail shaft rubber went, $2,800 change, then I had the alarm go off at the mcdonalds, next to a police div van, had to drive off because it would not go off, then one day Read more the car would not turn over, wasnot the battery,
It cost me $ 2400 dollars for regional car dealer to get it going but it took him 34 days.

My problem was i paid around $ 75,000 for thatn2008 and
I sold it with problems in 2012 for $ 19,000
So maybe that is why they got rid of v10,
By the way, a big laugh out aloud was that i had to pull my friends car out of a mud patch about 15 cm deep
But i got bogged and all my electronic gizmo could not get me out
I was dragged out out by a friendly hilux ute guy

I loved the speed and torque and was a great van hauler
Great luxury but
Like my friend , he pranged the v10 and bought a new v8tdi

When he drove to darwin the catalytic converter sensor would not allow th car to go faster than 80 kms per hour.

He drove in the heat to darwin crawling up there and back to victoria in a $ 129,000 car that could only do 80 kms per hour
He was steamed and i guess
I am asking
Is it me but i loved the golf tdi
But saying goodbye to toureg was a sweet sorrow

Looking forward to genuine feedback

I am looking forward to new 2013 v6
Tdi
Or should i get a real 4wd

+ The raw acceleration up the hills and the bends of great ocean road

- Every time a red light or yellow light came on, had to go to regional dealers and mate $ 2450 to get the car started

Sydney, Australia

• 4 comments

Off to the dealers today. R line 2013

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2014

It's not often I write a negative review. I thought Id write it now and add any further comments later. Hopefully positive. Bought the R line canyon grey with roof 2013. It's the first time in a car I can honestly say you do see the petrol tank decrease especially when looking for parking in the heat. Have some issues with the back tail gate kick plate coming off. Transmission not clicking into Read more gear and the motor just not running right. Also auto assist cruise control not working. The fact I have to take my time to take my new car to a dealer really annoys me. Will see how we go at the end of the day. Yes there is two children car seats in the Back . Luckily wife not back at work. Otherwise I would have been stuck.

+ Comfy to drive, safety and the 360 aerial view camera

- Too many. Rear kick plate. Cruise control.

Comments

I managed to get the kick plate at the back fixed. Would i buy another Toureg i don't think so! Then all vehicles seem to have their faults. The tappers and transmission on this vehicle seems to ha... read more »

Perth

On my second one

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2013

First one (MY08 V6TDI) did 100,000km & now in a MY13 V6TDI with Driver Assist Pack.

Both are great vehicles. Miss some features from the first like opening tailgate window, abundance for storage pockets and centre armrest arrangement however new 8 speed gearbox and few more kW in the new one allow for an performance drive when required and improved consumption of 2lt/100km.

+ Drive a luxury quick SUV without the "[censored word removed]" factor

- Sometimes think VW should take Touareg owners more seroiusly.

Prince George

• 1 review

Beautiful vehicle....but if you get a lemon like I did you better have deep pockets

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2013

I traded an old (1979) Porshe 911 plus a substantial chunk of Canadian dollars for a new V8 Touareg in 2004.At around 30,000 km the check engine light kept coming on. Under warranty I believed that well worn line "every checks out ok on the computer" line. Some time around then a faint ticking sound could be noticed if one was aware to listen to it.At 75,000 km or so I was told that"there may be Read more a timing chain problem"
At 105,000 km the noise was very loud but had gradually increased. The local dealer had the vehicle from April 5 to July 12 2013 before the problem was solved.
The bill : 3 times the value of the vehicle.!!
Volkswagon Canada totally uninterested in my plight....

Comments

This is an Australian review site Michael. Your car is not sold here.

Brisbane

Scared owner!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2012

I have a 2008 3.0L TDi first registered Oct 09 - done 40k. Tyres completely gone at 35k, all brakes had to be replaced at 38k. Now we have a coolant leak (fairly major repair but under warranty) - read up on some of the forums only to discover 120k service could cost $15k !! Therfore the pleasure of owning the vehicle is now completely overshadowed by the fear of massive repair and maintenance co Read more sts. Rolls Royces would cost no more than these sorts of bills.
Little point in owning one of these if the cost of maintaining it is so expensive that you become scared of any kind of engine fault.
Vehicle is going up for sale!
ps I have had 3 landrover Discoveries and service and maintenance costs were fair and reasonable - I remember the 100k service was around $1500.
Sorry Touareg owners but unless your loaded with plenty of spare $$$, owning one of these could cost you heaps - mine is going.
Cheers from Bushy

+ Ride, vision, general comfort, powerful

- Potential mega costs to maintain. Radio/CD designed for European use - most features of music system are redundant. Soft trim throughout is too easily damaged or torn. Drive computer is not user friendly, location of battery is stupid (Under passenger seat!)

Purchased at: Volkswagen Dealers

4 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

I have not had this experience with my 06 TDI. Brakes and tyres replaced at 100,000km. Extensively used for towing 2 tons plus. Don't believe the suggested costs of servicing. Someone having a len... read more »

Brake and tyre wear at that sort of km is always a result of driving habits. Don't believe forum on service costs either

Surry Hills, NSW

• 6 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

I love this car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2011

I've been driving this car sporadically for 2 years. Every time I get back in the driver's seat I'm a happier man. Truly. It's a very responsive vehicle engine wise, and the handling is suprisingly nimble and precise for such a big car. It's evident a lot of time has been put into thinking of all the little ways to make this car a joy to be in and drive. From simple things like oversized side Read more mirrors (we're talking I can see what someone's eating in the car behind me) to technical elements such as (this is where I prove I don't know technical car speak), it's a winner.

On top of all this it gives you that feeling that all good-looking big cars do - power. This is not to be underestimated. Even Tom Cruise would feel tall stepping out of this beast.

+ Everything is tip top

- CD player plays up ocassionally

10 people found this helpful, do you?

South Coast, NSW

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2010

As I have heard others say, this is a monster of a vehicle. It performs brilliantly. I researched and tested other vehicles in the class and am sure I made the right choice with the Touareg. The process from order to delivery was professionally handled - well done Gerald Slaven, Belconnen. Read more

+ We purchased a 2009 Touareg V6 TDI in November and we are extremely pleased with the purchase. The ride is excellent, the standard of finish very high as is the level of safety.
The effortless power when overtaking, great towing capacity and excellent fuel economy keep the smiles coming. I have travelled only 1500kms so far and already achieving 10 litres/100km city and belive it or not, 7.9kms per 100kms highway.

- I don't get enough time to drive it as much as I would like.

13 people found this helpful, do you?

Comments

Its now 5 years since purchasing the Touareg and still have to admit the Touareg is an excellent vehicle and plan buying a new one when the new model is released early 2015. Unfortunately what fai... read more »

1 of 2 pages

Click to rate

Already registered? Sign in.

Incorrect please try again

By submitting a review, I accept ProductReview's Posting Guidelines and Terms of Use Policy.

Is there a tyre/wheel combination for the toureg for serious4wd activity/

nick francis asked on Jul 15, 2013

I am looking for a comfortable vehicle that can pull a loaded horsefloat in steep hills but still be comfortable and fuel efficient enough to be my every day car around town. I am probably going to go for a Mitsubishi Triton Dual Cab as I know the back seats are comfortable (unlike a lot of dual cabs) and it has enough power - the only reason I started looking at the Touareg was for the extra comfort and good fuel consumption (diesel). Am I barking up the wrong tree given it is obviously expensive service costs and more expensive to buy in the first place? We live in country NSW and don't do much off-roading, if any.

J Heath asked on May 29, 2013

Answer this

Hi there
I own a vw touareg v10;95000kms. Drive from western Qld Blackall to Toowoomba,1000 Kim's,does it on one tank of fuel 100 litres very comfy. Very reliable
Dr Viney Joshi, Blackall

Have had 3 Touaregs and heading for forth. Great car for towing if diesel. The safety aspects of Touareg make Triton comparison irrelevant.

2004 Touareg. Problem starting. VW workshop says faulty electronic steering lock control unit. Apparently attached to steering wheel shaft. Am told have to replace unit plus steering shaft as not possible to buy control unit as a separate item . Quoted $4000. Is there another option?

Terry asked on May 17, 2013

Answer this

First things I would do is (and it does seem strange) are:
1. Check the condition of the battery. This issue has been known to occur when the battery is in it's dying stages.
2. Replace the battery in the key fob.

The Touareg is very security conscious, so before spending any big bucks, try these ideas. Hope it helps.
Cheers, Rossco.

Product details

Years of production 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014