Perth

• 16 answers
  • 47 helpful votes

Not worth the effort

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2014

I wouldn't bother reading this book I have the newer updated edition it is so desperately basic and doesn't not contain even 10percent of the info needed when pregnant. and to top it off a lot of the statements are outdated or completely false ! Written by a moron clearly for example apparently the hair on the baby inutero is to keep it warm! Far better off to find a book from the 80s there are many out there !

- Basic brain dead information. False misleading comments

craigieburn, victoria

• 48 helpful votes
Private message

A must have book during pregnancy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 13, 2012

+ Month by month guide to pregnancy , well written and explains everything.

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2011

Definately the book you want if you are after information- which I craved during pregnancy; most comprehensive book I found. Good to look up index for specfic concerns
Make sure you have the most recent edition for accuracy-2009 (picture at top of review is an older edition)

+ Jam packed full of information
Good comprehensive sections on selected issues

- Style can be a bit dull. A more attractive layout/ font would really help- try reading the labour section in one sitting
I would have preferred headings to the "question/answer", questions weren't really natural sounding
A bit too American for an "Australian Edition"

• 5 answers
  • 49 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2010

I was given and read alot of pregnancy books and for some reason this one did not appeal to me. I found the writing style lacked personality and was perhaps a bit dated, actually it is a little like being at school. However, it does contain alot of information that is trustworthy and useful as a reference guide but did very little in inspiring me about being a parent.

+ Factual reference guide. Information-rich

- I found this book a bit dull and the layout was not appealing for easy reading. It felt a little old-fashioned in its writing style and overly serious.

Parramatta, NSW

• 1 answer
  • 64 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2010

I have an older edition of this book but looking at the new one I think most of the same things would be true.

+ Very comprehensive covering most topics you could think of. I like the question and answer format it frequently uses throughout. Organised according to the stages of pregnancy so good to read in bite size chunks if that's all you have time for.

- A little too strict at times (for example regarding weight gain) - whilst the information may be factually correct I'm not sure how helpful the tone is with these sorts of issues. Doesn't cover pregnancy loss/stillbirth at any length.

• 11 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2010

This book was great! It gives so much information. I loved it as it told me symptoms and what I could or could do about them as well as important things to prepare for. It made me feel like I had a concise understanding of what myself and my partner where going through. This is a read as you go book, like a how to guide - it lived on my bed side table for when I needed answers to the many questions we had.

+ Fantastic...I read this the whole way through my pregnacy and during the first month or so after having my daughter

• 2 answers
  • 40 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2010

+ Lots of information for expecting mums. Answers many of the common questions and deals with many issues that occur during pregnancy.

- For me, I found some of the information to be a bit much. I would rather not know about all the things that could go wrong during a pregnancy it just creates worry unnecessarily. I guess its just a take it or leave it situation. Read what you feel comfortable with and skip the rest.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 26 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2010

This book had good coverage of a lot of information. I loved reading it throughout my pregnancy and found it answered all of my questions. I would definitely recommend it to any expectant mother out there.

+ I loved this book and followed it through my whole pregnancy. I found it covered everything I needed to know and brought up a lot of issues I would not have though about. I loved the layout and the part for dad. I particularly liked the part about labour, I found it covered all the information our prenatal class discussed.

- nothing I can think of!

• 2 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2010

This book is worth reading if you are pregnant as it gives you a world of information you just have to get into it. You can also easily look up what you are after.

+ Very informative. It covers pretty much everything that happens during pregnancy.

- Sometimes I found this book a bit dull and I didn't like the layout.

• 21 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2010

This was my first book about pregnancy and i found it completly useful.However this was not my first choice when i went shopping but ended up buying this as it had more text than pictures and it fits a budget.Glad i got it though. All the postpartum exercise's and post pregnancy tipos were very useful. On the whole would recommend this to any new mum.

+ good starter-very informative-complete postpartum coverage as well

- the font size could have been little big and this made it hard to read during flight journeys or any travel.Not much info on pregnancies that are overdue.

• 13 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2010

I read this book in conjuction with Up the Duff. Personally I preferred the more comical, don't take yourself to seriously viewpoint of Up the Duff compared to this book. However there were some things that weren't covered in Up the Duff that I referred back to this book for. Also preferred the week by week approach of Up the Duff compared to month by month in this book.

+ Generally a very informative book with good coverage on topics. Liked the pictures of the growing baby as it went through each stage. Good index, easy reference guide.

- In some areas was quite a formal and prudish read.

• 16 helpful votes