1989-1997 Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series

1989-1997 Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series

Toyota Legend

Have had my 1995 HZJ80 with after market Safari Turbo for 18 years, it's a beast and the best vehicle I have owned.Look after them and they are bullet proof and will keep on going with service every 5,000k. It's a daily driver, tourer & weekend warrior - best in it's class.

Date PurchasedDec 2000

This has been an EXCELLENT Vehicle Recommend highly!!!

I have a 1996 gel 80 series with a 1 hz Diesel engine 5 speed manual trans, This IS one of the BEST vehicles i have ever owned, The full time 4x4 inst a great idea, (which will be soon changed to free wheel) But other than that it is an EXCELLENT tow vehicle, had reasonable power, and is very well built, Had NO issues at all, vehicle has now 400 + ks on it and the engine is STILL strong and runs like a clock, Quiet, burns NILL oil and gets fair fuel economy. This was the last model before the 100 series i think, I know many people that updated then, realised the 80 series was Much better!!!

Date PurchasedJan 2015

waste of money

my dad has a 94 land cruiser diesel factory turbo while it might tow heavy his one has had problem after problem after problem worst vehicle Toyota made he is on a pension and its a money pit to him currently its got gear shift problem's large engine leaks only driven on roads he doesn't even take it of road which I find rediculas why have that type of vehicle if you only drive bitumen I'd rather a Nissan GQ any day and there built tough real tough

Date PurchasedSep 1998
Drive4WD
also this land cruiser of dads is falling apart its always got pieces coming of especially the black guard pieces around wheels and the tailgate struts keep going in gas awful vehicle do not buy 1 if you have 1 get rid of it and do yourself a favour and get a GQ Nissan patrol u won't be let down like with toyotaalso get a hilux if you wish to stick with Toyota as hilux models have always been made extremely well the land cruiser was let down by Toyota if you want a 90s model

Oh what a feeling !

Best 4wd out there ! I have a 92 factory turbo diesel 262kms and been offered numerous times to sell it . I won’t part with this car . Towed up to 3.5 tonne boats and she never gives up towing . Do urself a favour and get one if you haven’t already. These vehicles are sort after and increasing in value . I wonder why .... best 4wd Toyota have built and going strong

Date PurchasedJun 2007

Can't go wrong, Bullet Proof!!

The 80 series (in my opinion) is the best serious off-roader Toyota ever built, the last of the straight axle front suspension, brilliant for off-road. (however the later 100 series drives much better on the open road with independent front suspension, but this comfort lets it down off-road), My one has the 24 valve, turbo diesel engine, with the factory optional electric 3 diff locks. It has now done just over 3 million kms and still never had the head off. Note: Regular servicing and maintenance with these vehicles is the key to great reliability. Maintenance costs are higher than non-diesel and other road vehicles, but well worth the time & effort. This truck has been used commercially in Africa, Mongolia and all around Australian mining outback without any issues over a number of years..
I religiously change the oil (5,000kms) (uses approx.11 ltrs with new filter) & change all filters regularly and have replaced the big end bearings twice at approx 1.3 million kms and again at 2.7 million kms. Replaced the injectors & pump 3 times and that's pretty much it. It just goes & goes & will tow anything. Love it!!!
Now here's the thing!!! Basically the big 6 cylinder 4.2 Ltr diesel engine is way, way over built. Toyota also used this same big lazy diesel in trucks and buses etc. Even on the high way at 100-110 kms per hour the engine is only idling at approx. 2,000-2,200 kms........My point is, the engine is never really working hard, it really just idles around everywhere & that's really why these old girls are so good and last and last.

BadgeVX
Date PurchasedDec 1999

king of the road

These things are just great the best landcruiser ever built by Toyota in my opinion they do everything so well there is nothing else like it in its class. Turbo diesel engines are the way forward especially the 1hdft unit. pity they didn't make them new now. have 3 myself and as long as I can get oil and diesel will never part with them. Why cant Toyota build motors like this anymore.

Date PurchasedMay 2007

Absolute Brilliance

An amazing car, these things are without a doubt the pinnacle of the Landcruiser, built in Japan with superb quality and care, not the bloated oversized boats like later models and not the rough truck style of the earlier models. It will go almost anywhere in comfort and with ease straight from the factory.
As with any older vehicle you must pay careful attention to routine maintenance and regular servicing, but if you do an 80 series would rarely let you down.
My one and only gripe is the sluggishness off the line of my 24 valve turbo diesel model, but a trip to a turbo diesel specialist will sort that out.
Once the revs build up a bit it goes like a scalded cat, so amazing to cruise down the beach through extremely soft sand and literally (I was showing off a bit) drive circles around more modern vehicles stuck fast.
I'm 6'3" and have the seat all the way back but there's plenty of room for me. If you want more than 2 proper (not just booster) child seats then you'll need to use the 3rd row which can make bucking up a challenge. You can however fit 4 if you neec to (we have 3 and I buckle up the eldest through the rear slide window).
My fuel consumption is around 12/13 litres per 100km but babying it on highway can get 10 and flogging it up mountain ranges can blow out to 15, it's all in the right foot.
Quite simply the best built and most capable 4wd to leave a factory, if you buy a higher model (gxl or Sahara) you'll get abs brakes, cruise control, airbags, full time 4wd, cd player, keyless entry, freezing aircon, power windows, auto aerial, the list goes on. You can even get inbuilt fridge and diff locks (Sahara).
My only real gripe? Cup holders are in a bad spot. But I can live with that.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

1993 1hdt

Factory turbo diesel I've been looking for a good one for a while now. Shipped over from Queensland service history 250 k on the clock. Absolute gem of a car nothing touched on the engine I drop the oil every 5000, oil tested at a lab and no trace of any materials. If you find a factory turbo that's been looked after pay the money and hold onto it. Easy to maintain, economical for something 20+ years old 13-14 L /100 around town 12 on the free way. There's not a lot getting around now a people have not realised until now how good they really are. Find a 24 valve even better again and if you have one bloody keep it !!!... They are holding value really well and for good reason. Keep the maintenance up and you will get a great 4x4 in return.

TransmissionManual

TOYOTA'S NAME IS SYNONYMOUS WITH "AS PERFECT AS POSSIBLE"

I have been a Motor Mechanic for over 50 years and started owning Toyotas from 1982 with a used HJ60 Diesel Wagon. After 6 years of fault-free motoring in the HJ60, I decided to buy a brand new HJ61 Turbo Diesel Wagon in 1988 and sell the old HJ60 privately for DOUBLE what I paid for it. Both were manuals, It's now 2016 and in 28 years the HJ61 12HT Wagon has only cost me one Turbocharger Rebuild............that's it, other than cosumables like Tyres, Brake shoes/pads, Filters etc.............It hasn't ever leaked oil or coolant from any part of the vehicle, or ever done anything un-toward or faulty..............In 2000 my wife wanted something with ABS, VSC and Airbags and a little more comfort, but still a large 4WD as she feels more secure, compared to a car...... So we bought a Prado V6 Petrol Automatic.............16 years later and it hasn't done anything worse than a failed electric Aerial 5 years ago, so we just leave it up!........ I could not believe how well it towed a 4 ton load of firewood in a tandem trailer over 440 kms to Mt Hotham without any strain or over-heating in the engine or the transmission............I was so sure only my old HJ61 would excel with such a load..........completely amazed me!
In over these 50 years a Mechanic, Toyotas have been by far the rarest to visit my Workshops from damage or breakdowns, even when abused and mis-treated.............If I suddenly became a billionaire, I would own 1 of every model Toyota produces,,,,,,,,,,as well as an Aston Martin and Ferarri !
Ten years ago, a neighbour "abandoned" a 1986 MS123 Crown as no-one was interested in such a vintage car!
It was left on the nature strip for months till other neighbours complained and local council threatened to tow it away for Simsmetal to crush. I asked if I could buy it and was told no, but that I could have it for free if I removed it same day!...........pleasure was all mine, as it still is ten years later; the entire car works like new with the only fault being that it's heavy on fuel. Little wonder, as it was the last Crown ever to be built with an independent Chassis which means an extra 400kgs of strength, but also extra hard on fuel. No problem for a collectable that is used for club days only. This 1986 Crown came standard with 4 wheel Discs, 4 wheel fully independent Suspension, 2 Air Conditioning Systems, plus Refrigerated Drink Cooler plus a host of other features still not standard today in most 2016 vehicles! ............but I will never sell my Classic Holdens, BMW's, Valiants and Fords, as they too have done me proud given their age and value for money. I would not buy any of these or any other brand new today.......they're very disappointing..........except Toyota.
Today's Manufacturer's have finally succeeded in Mass Cosumerism where over 90% of all cars are disposed of as they approach the "end of warranty" as people learn the hard way how expensive and un-reliable they become from Day 1.
Today, there's no way I would venture on a large and extensive trip in anything other than a Toyota..........end of story..........Toyota Japan: I salute you.

1996 Chopped Ute - Dual Fuel Auto

Purchased with 350,000km on the clock in June 2015. Took it straight to the mechanic to 'stop the oil falling out'. Has 2in lift, 33in tyres and is now unstoppable.

Use it as a play toy - great for pulling the Whittley up the boat ramp - great for taking dirt bikes into the bush - and great for playing on bush tracks. Removed rear seats, installed a false floor, and can now carry 50litre Waeco fridge & 14off milk crates worth of stuff (camping gear, recovery gear, dirtbike gear, etc) all inside the cabin.

Conquered Victorian High Country Icon Tracks with only 3months 4WD experience - 4off coil suspension makes this rig very capable and makes it very easy for me to look like I know what I'm doing.

I'm glad I've joined to 80series club

Stephen

TransmissionAutomatic
Update on the Mighty Eighty - Started loosing torque, with engine vibrations also becoming more noticeable, especially at lower revs and when engine cold. Diagnosed as 'LPG caused burnt valves' which proved to be correct. Apparently, the original motor is really only designed for unleaded fuel, with LPG creating greater combustion heat and lower combustion lubrication, resulting in valve problems. Great excuse for a new head in my books. New 'LPG Duty' head c/w beefed up valves and camshafts now installed. Goes like the clappers - back to being unstoppable again. Noticeably more torque and no more vibrations. StephenUpdate on Dark Debbie - recently installed rear eLocker - should have done it ages ago. Now I can just crawl up rock steps instead of giving it a red hot go using momentum (410,000km May 2017)Update on the Beast - now sporting rock sliders (banged a door sill once - never again) and raised the LPG tank snuggling up under the tray (banged the LPG tank once - never again) - never let's me down (455,000km June 2018)

They use these cars in the mines to cut diamonds

In terms of ride and fun to drive it far surpasses my wifes Mercedes Benz C200 and every single one of the 5 mercedes I've owned before this car. They use these cars in the mines to cut diamonds {joke}. Its seriously bullet proof. I got the povo pack which looks less dated than other models (it has no extras). The car just wants to be driven even when its stationary it screams "drive me across the Nullarbor".

BadgeStandard

A superb 4WD vehicle.

I own a late 1993 model 80 Series Landcruiser, petrol, manual. It has taken me 520 000 kilometres with very little trouble. Every mechanic who services the vehicle tells me to keep it, which I will be doing. Mechanically it is very sound. It has been raised three inches and has rear ARB air lockers.
I am a member of two 4WD clubs and have been a member of three other 4WD clubs. All club members were serious four wheel drivers. Every member with an 80 Series is very pleased with their vehicle.
Mine has been driven on all sorts of surfaces, sand, ice, snow, rock, gravel, mud and, of course, bitumen (ugh!). With the appropriate tyre pressures, chains , if necessary, and wheel placement it has got me through some really rough country. I am talking double black diamond tracks, or more difficult.
I am expecting another 500 000 kilometres, which the present mechanic who looks after the vehicle has told me it could achieve very easily.

BadgeRV

ITS A 80 THING..

had a few, never had issues, all 1HZ Diesels, these are the true unstoppable engines if serviced well you wont have any dramas, they literally will go just about anywhere you can fit your tires, have fun to because parts are pretty cheap also. perfect for Families big or small or just for a play toy.

Mighty 80

I'm impressed with this car even if I didn't test it at its full potential. I have a HZJ80 diesel.
I has plenty of storage space. It is tough off road.
When first purchased few years ago I asked my self why I did it. When I started to go on holidays with wife and two kids I realized why people loved and still loving this car so much.
I went few times on the beach and I was tired to pull out other cars bugged in the sand. My 80, as far as the tyre pressure is right, she never got bugged (I have a pair of max trax anyway).
I went also to do some medium tracks and found people being worried to ruin their car, sweating while driving. Well, when I drive my 80 I feel secure and confident that she will bring me where I want... as far as there is some juice in the tank.
It is easy to service on your own if you have basic tools.
I like the 80 also because it is old school and don't like the new electronically overcomplicated car. This car is very reliable if serviced and looked after.
storage space, easy to service, reliable.
fuel consumption, toyota doesn't do it anymore.

BadgeDX

Best 4WD ever made - a true icon of the genre !!

I'm an exploration geologist and in over 35 years of professional experience have driven almost every off-road vehicle in many countries in hard and usually remote areas.

I started my 4WD ownership in the 70's with an old Series 2 Landrover, then a County wagon with the 3.5 litre alloy carburetted V8. Both held up well and were good in very bad conditions, especially the Country with its long travel coil suspension, but they were hot, poorly assembled, had dreadful driving positions, leaked in the rain like medieval castles and were buggers to work on, which was quite often, with the weirdest things quitting on them at the most unexpected and inopportune moments.

In 1997 I traded the County on a 40th Anniversary 4500 litre petrol 80 series, a demo with 4000km on it. Zero regrets since. Best car I've ever owned, and that is a lot of cars, from 4WD's to luxury high performance exotics. It's only done 170,000km in the time I've had it due to having as second car for town work, and I see many others running well over 400,000km, in both diesel and petrol versions.

It's smooth, quiet, pulls like it has the Mersey Power Station under the hood, and is utterly reliable. Tows anything, and pulls anything out of any bog that I've encountered, given appropriate traction. Nothing has ever quit on it. That giant straight six, almost certainly regarded as older technology now, fires up every day and settles to a quiet regular tick-over in minutes. It's all beautifully built, with all leads, lines and plumbing clipped up neatly and laid out in an orderly fashion. Brake lines have vibration coils built into them, a nice touch. The 5 speed gearbox feels even better than the day it was bought and still snicks into gear smoothly and positively.

The car handles well is deceptively fast on a long trip when used as an executive express, and has no electronic nannies, and not even airbags. Off-road it is nice to have simplicity, which usually translates into lightness too. While not a small car, it has a kerb weight of 2100 kg and is around 300-400 kg lighter than the Discovery or Range Rover, and 500 kg lighter than the bigger Toyota 100 and 200 series that follow it.

Off-road it is comfortable and competent, handles fast dirt well and rock crawling with ease, given its standard ride height, as long as one isn't trying to surmount boulders that exceed its clearance capabilities. It has shear guts in sand and mud to haul it through most sensible conditions with ease. With a ride lift and long stroke shocks it would be even better but I haven't needed to go that extreme right now. The standard limited slip rear diff works well and if you want more traction you can add ARB air-lockers too. With those three mods (lift, shocks and locks), the car would be everything you would want for Aussie conditions.

The rear seats fold forward and leave a large flat floor and the car will swallow most household goods you want to carry. It has tie-downs fitted into the floor. I wouldn't touch the swing door models. The swing door hinges eventually get stressed and the doors begin to squeak and let in dust. The much better hatch doors enable the car to be driven with long loads extending through them, or camping in the back with your feet resting on the drop tailgate.

I keep looking at new 4WD's with a view to buying one but could only get a maximum $20K for the 80 series selling privately and $10K as a trade in, so the approximately $60-80K I have to spend to get anything better than this car is a stretch, especially when most of them are nowhere near as tough as what I already own. As to the fuel burn of the 80 series petrol, yes, it is a tad thirsty, but that $60-80K I'd spend on replacing it would buy a lot of gasoline, around 50,000 litres at current WA prices!!. Some small mods help a bit, but not much.

I've decided to sell my town car and put a few dollars from the sale into upgrades for the 80 Series, such as those cited above. It's quite likely the car will outlive me.

If Toyota built a new and identical version it would still be among the most popular large 4WD's ever built and it would sell like hot-cakes if it was priced around $60,000 without all the silly fruit put on new models.

I'm often saddened to see mistreated ones around, as the owners don't have any idea that once gone there will be no replacements.

The word icon is often over-used, but if there was ever an iconic vehicle in this genre, it is the 80 Series Landcruiser station wagon. It is fast becoming the DC3 (Dakota) of the 4WD world - go anywhere, do anything, competently and reliably.

Hope this helps someone buy and preserve one!!

Badge40th Anniversary

Mighty SUV

I owned HZJ80 Landcruiser GX with 4.2 1HZ diesel engine mated with 5 speed manual transmission, its great SUV ever built in this planet. My car is the first batch which come with sunroof, refrigerator on center console, 15 inch wheel with 31x10.50r15 tyre and 4 rectangular individual front headlamp.

I have run it more than 400,000km and engine still strong and more fuel efficient than Toyota Prado GX LJ90 smaller 3.0 5L diesel engine with 5 speed manual transmission.

This even never give me hard time and its engine not yet rebuilt from new until now.

To keep it maintain fuel efficient i replace diesel fuel filter every 10,000km, serviced diesel pump and replace new nozzle once a every 2 years. Its still can run to 170km/h on highway.

STILL LOVING IT

I have now had my 1HZJ80 for two years and in that time ive had quite a few issues. I put it all down to wear and tear though. I bought my 80 with 350,000kms so a little wear is expexted, and we are now at 400,000.
The previous owners had installed a 3inch lift and 33inch muddies and a front diff lock and 2wheel/4wheel drive options and trailer breaks and an aftermarket garret turbo.
Buying it with all this in mind I knew she'd had a hard life, and I havent made it any easier. So some fixes were always planned for. Ive now replaced more than I care to admit and spent nearly $10k on repairs alone. But I dont care.
Its still tough and reliable and even when it breaks Its still drivable enough to do a few hundred kms home.
its seen me through mud so deep you can swim through, and river crossings that would scare most people. It climbs rocks and flys over sand. And its still good on roads and easy to park at the supermarket
I will never own anything other than an 80 yeah she drinks a bit anywhere from 15-25L/100kms but thats more on how heavy my right foot is at any given moment and what ii point it at.
its a great car, easy to fix most parts are readily avaliable and easy to install.
I love this car and will probably be buried in it. And when its dug up in 100,000years and given a new battery im sure she'll fire right up.

Toyota Tough

I am currently on my 3rd 80 series. The first was a 1993 4500 petrol manual GXL. What a vehicle. Purchased almost new with very low k's. Power, handling, comfort, 8 seats and simply the most reliable petrol vehicle I have owned. It did like a drink tho. The only reason I sold that was because I started making Biodiesel and found my self a 1992 factory turbo diesel GXL.

This one was a little abused and rough but just as tough and reliable and as I was experimenting with home made fuel was happy with it as I kind of expected it to die. It never did. These will drink what ever you put in them and love it. Straight used veg oil, low conversion biodiesel. It loved it all and hardly gives any trouble in winter.

It went off road almost every week end towing a trailer full of motor bikes up into the mountains and I racked up some hard k's on that one all with home made fuel.
After many years (and my 3 boys are a little older and not so hard on cars) I found a low k 1990 Sahara turbo diesel in great condition. I treat this one a little nicer as I figure this one needs to last me a long time.

This one actually gave me some trouble just after I bought it with a broken crankshaft. No "expert" can explain why this happened. The best guess is that the very early diesel ones had big end bearing troubles. It was rebuilt early in its life and perhaps the crank was damaged either being put back in (it broke just behind the harmonic balancer) or when the bearings failed and was not crack tested.

Then I get behind the wheel and drive it like I stole it and bang! I replaced the engine with a Factory long engine and new turbo,pump, cooling etc. That was 80,000 km ago and I have not had a trouble since other than tyres and brakes because I tow a lot.
I look at the new cruisers and I just don't see the vehicle that I see when I look at an 80 series. They are the best and I hope to have mine a long time with no desire to down grade to a 100 or 200 series.
Tough, reliable, comfort
Toyota don't make them any more

The greatest 4x4 ever built

I have been a owner of a number of Landcruisers over the years but the 80 Series is by far the greatest 4x4 I have ever had. My car is a 93 petrol, it has completed near 300K and still drives like the day I bought it. Off road or on this car performs very well and has never broken down once, the cars interior and paint is of a very high standard, I have cut and polished the cruiser more than 12 times over the years and the paint looks fantastic considering it has lived outdoors for more than 18 years. I have been very hard on my car, many trips off road, hard rocky tracks in high temps and lots of serious mud running have never been a issue, a decent set of tyres and lift will see this car into and through some very tough terrain over again. Have I had any problems? Yes, I have replaced a shift control motor (selects 4x4) - and have been through two starter motors in the last 7 years - this is mainly due to the many river crossings and heavy mud driving as water eventually does some damage to some parts more than other. Would I purchase another? Yes, if you could still purchase an 80 series now I would order one tomorrow. I love my car and will never let it go.
Everything, its a real 4x4 with a big heart

I have had my 1997 80 series since 2001. Low mileage when purchased 2nd had and now has 280,000 on the clock. Been around Australia towing a van and many places in between. No major problems and the vehicle has been well serviced. Will be giving it a test in June/July/August with a trip to Cape York. It is dual fuel ( petrol/gas) and I am undecided as to fit a snorkel. The biggest problem is fuel comsumption.