1Cover Travel Insurance

1Cover Travel Insurance Questions & Answers (page 3)

Verified1cover.com.au
Liz B.
Liz B. · Travel Insurance

I took out travel insurance for Alaska,Canada and USA 25/1/2020...With all that is going on I want to know where I stand ..My travel agent has said to wait till end March,but its looking highly unlikely I will travel.If not can I be reimbursed..Policy No IC-AU-CPN2541504..Thanks Liz Blackwell.

Catbear 7

MESSAGE TO PRODUCT REVIEW.
Please, stop sending these enquiries to ME.
I do NOT work for 1 Cover - I am simply a customer/client of theirs who dared write a review as a Product Review contributor.
Thank you!
(Apologies, Liz - as you will see, I can’t help you!)

1Cover   DM

Hello Liz, I suggest that you contact the Support Centre via email, info@1cover.com.au for options regarding your policy. Regards, Sophie

Caro · Travel Insurance

OK, so I get we are NOT COVERED FOR MEDICAL relating to the COVID-19 understand that loud and clear, but does the also void our Policy for unrelated COVID-19 events for example a broken leg, dental, delays in flights, lost luggage and all the other things we were covered for? Thank you

Catbear 7

Product Review - PLEASE NOTE!! I do not work for 1Cover. Sorry Caro, I can’t help you.

1Cover   DM

Hello Caro, The policy benefits still apply to circumstances such as broken leg, dental, travel disruption and lost or damaged luggage. If you have any further queries, please email info@1cover.com.au Regards, Sophie.

Thank you.

Hans H
Hans H · Travel Insurance

Hi, I have booked a flight to Europe in April, but now due to the Coronavirus and the Australian Government travel advice, I want to defer the travel dates. The airline is offering a travel voucher valued for 12 Month. Does 1Cover offer a deferment in line with the airline.

Craig Southin
Craig Southin

I would contact them. We had to change our destination on a previous trip and they very happily changed our policy but could be very different with this being a pandemic. If you read their fine fine print they do not cover pandemics

Jack
Jack

They will not but you can try

1Cover   DM

Hello Hans, We can certainly change your travel dates to a later date. I suggest that you contact the support centre via info@1cover.com.au regarding your policy. Regards, Sophie.

Kez · Travel Insurance

Hi 1Cover, we are due to cruise internationally in 2wks. We purchased your insurance before the event became a known event. Yesterday Smart traveller released advice from the government urging aus citizens to reconsider. My husband has asthma, which puts him in a high risk category (yes we disclosed it when the cruise package was purchased). I understand you don't cover pandemics, but the coronavirus has not yet been deemed a pandemic. I have even checked smart traveller and who, which are companies on your website that you suggest customers refer too. If you believe that this virus is something other than what who suggests , Can you please direct me to the reliable source where the Coronavirus is deemed a pandemic?

So my question is, with this virus not being officially and clearly deemed as a pandemic, aswell as government advising people to reconsider cruising due to health and being quarentined, can we claim our holiday through travel insurance?

** other insurers I have spoken too have stated that the gov cannot issue a Do Not Travel warning as a cruise is not a ‘destination’ but has ‘visits’. They stated that this government warning is sufficient...

Bent O.
Bent O.

But it is classified officially as a pandemic.
Logically the only contact should be to the company directly to get the official company stance regarding YOUR policy rather than ask via a review site.

Jay

No cover for coronavirus as we found out, 1Cover are a rip off, good luck getting any help from them

1Cover   DM

Hello Kez, We do not cover any epidemics, pandemics or outbreaks regardless of when you purchased your policy. This is a general exclusion on our policies. I suggest that you contact the support centre via info@1cover.com.au for other options regarding your policy. Regards, Sophie.

Ihave l.

So you take millions of dollars and then have no risk whatsoever. If I buy a policy for my house that starts next month and I end up not buying the house I get most of my money back pro rata - the risk never even started. My father in law (in his 80's)was coming on the holiday and he chose Australian Seniors Insurance - he got his $485 that he paid on travel insurance with them no questions asked and happy to do so. Some companies will be the winners here. It wont be 1cover or Loyyds.

Michael Simic
Michael Simic · Travel Insurance

Hi I have a holiday planned and paid for leaving on 25th May 2020 to Los Angeles, Croatia and Singapore. I purchased my insurance with you on25th October 2019. Will I be covered if I am delayed in any of these countries because of the coronaviris?

Scott
Scott

"Lisa Kable, communications manager for the Insurance Council of Australia, told Guardian Australia in February that after Dfat made its announcement on 23 January about the risk of travel in relation to coronavirus it became a “known event” for insurers.

“If people are travelling and bought their travel insurance before it became a known event the majority of travel insurance policies should cover people if they contract coronavirus overseas, or if their trips have to be moved around countries or places.”

Jay

1Cover specifically excludes it, regardless of when you bought your insurance. We found this out after we were already overseas and the outbreak started. Disappointing considering most companies cover it and so much for "comprehensive"

1Cover   DM

Hello Michael, We do not cover any epidemics, pandemics or outbreaks regardless of when you purchased your policy. This is a general exclusion on our policies. I suggest that you contact the support centre via info@1cover.com.au for other options regarding your policy. Regards, Sophie.

Ihave l.

Good luck with having a viable company after this

Angela Bleasdale · Travel Insurance

Even if you do not cover for Coronavirus events, do you still cover for other events as per the PDS?

1Cover   DM

Hi Angela, Yes we cover medical costs and assistance for conditions unrelated to the virus. Cancellation benefit covers claimable events such as medically unfit to travel, strike, riot, natural disaster or a relative under the age of 85 years has been hospitalised. Regards, Sophie

Johanna hardes
Johanna hardes · Travel Insurance

What about corona virus
If u have travel and medical can i u cancel your fligjt and get a refund?

Peter
Peter

From what I’ve been informed and as per their pds anything associated with illness or cancellation from Coronavirus is not covered

1Cover   DM

Hi Johanna, We have a general exclusion on all sections of our policy in relation to epidemics and pandemics. This is listed in our PDS (which can be located on our website) on page 66 for your reference. Regards, Sophie

Kez

Hi 1Cover, Can you please direct me to the source where the Coronavirus is deemed a pandemic? The companies that 1Cover refers their customers too (who and smart traveller) Have not yet classifed the Coronavirus as a pandemic... How can claims not be eligible when the criteria is not met?

Ihave l.

Where does it say a pandemic means that you lose everything even if the holiday will never get off the ground. I read this and wrongly assumed that I could not claim for medical if I get the virus. Where does it say that those that cant even fly get nothing when you take no risk. Sounds like legalised theft to me. There WILL be changes in consumer law after this. Can I start a company too that takes money with no risk? I wouldnt want to be that low.

JRD · Travel Insurance

Hi I am travelling to cambodia and Vietnam in may. I purchased my policy on 13th January b4 all this hysteria happened. Will I be covered whilst overseas if need be for medical related issues to this virus? Or if we became in a lock down situation? I have no intentions to cancell trip on a just in case theory yet I will be taking extra precautions. This was not a foreseeable situation when I had taken out my policy. Thanks JD

RogetDodger
RogetDodger

You are not covered by 1Cover for any Coronavirus related event. This includes cancellation and medical. Or any lockdown costs. They have exclusions for it in their policy. Their insurance is fairly worthless.

JRD

Thanks RogetDodger.. yep pretty useless and I've been using them for years... Will go back to TID in future they are moving this virus if policy taken out b4 30th January. .. Happy healthy travels

Ihave l.

Australian Seniors gave full refunds for my father in law. I should have gone with them too.

Anthony L.
Anthony L. · Travel Insurance

Hi I would like to know what the winter sports pack cover is for, specifically for the equipment hire? Loss or damage of ski equipment for example?

1Cover   DM

Hi Anthony, Thank you for your query. In relation to Winter Sports Equipment Hire, this section covers the hire amount if your own winter sports equipment has been damaged or stolen. In regards to Winter Sports Equipment Excess, this refers to damage or if your hire equipment has been stolen and you are charged the excess, we will cover this cost. Hope this helps. If you have any further queries, please email info@1cover.com.au Regards, Helen

Maria T · Travel Insurance

does 1 cover ,cover coronvirus

paulh3
paulh3

1cover DOES NOT cover epidemics or pandemics, so no they don't cover coronavirus even if you caught it outside China, or got blocked from a flight due to a temperature.

1Cover   DM

Hi Maria, Yes, Paulh3 is correct, there is a general exclusion on Pandemics and Epidemics, therefore no cover for the Coronavirus, however this is not unique to 1Cover and you will find that most travel insurers have the same exclusion. Regards, Helen

Jay

Despite what they might say, most insurers cover coronavirus if you bought in time. 1Cover do not regardless of how early you bought it, rip off!

Ihave l.

Australian Seniors gave their money back for the insurance no questions asked. Good travel insurers ARE refunding the whole amount of the policy. The above is rubbish

Jack B.
Jack B.

Should be the law to include all exclusions up front. Who has time In their life to read the 200 page policy document

Maria T

How come other Insurance companies are refunding the Insurance paid which has not been used without any questions asked.
1 Cover needs to refund the money we paid for insurance as that would be the decent thing to do as we cannot use it.

Daniel G.
Daniel G. · Travel Insurance

Hi, I'm planning to travel to France in 2 months time. However I'm not an Aus citizen, hence needing Schengen tourist visa which requires travel health insurance. Is your travel health insurance accepted for the Schengen tourist visa?

1Cover   DM

Hi Daniel, Yes our policies qualify travellers with a Schengen Visa however you must be an Australian Resident to purchase our policy. Further information regarding this can be located via this link: https://www.1cover.com.au/faqs/general/who-can-buy-policy/

Caro · Travel Insurance

We are due to fly to America on the 28th April 2020 to drive Route 66, cruse Alaska for 7 days and visit Hawaii for 3 days, due back in Australia 4th June 2020. We have purchased Multi Trip Insurance valid to Oct 2020 for a previous trip, this trip and another trip . Will our Policy still be valid to cover us for the Coronavirus throughout a trip. Obviously we will take as many precautions as possible, but one never knows. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

1Cover   DM

Hello Caro, Thank you for your query. Unfortunately epidemics and pandemics are a general exclusion on our policies, therefore no cover for the coronavirus, however we strongly recommend that should you become ill whilst overseas, please contact our Emergency Team that can assist you and guide you for your best options. If you have any further queries, please contact our customer service centre on 1300 192 021 or you can email the team on info@1cover.com.au

Caro

Thank you for your prompt response. Have now found the information on page 66, sad when we purchased to Policy last year in good faith, not knowing what was going to happen this year.

1Cover   DM

I understand, this is an unfortunate event that is certainly affecting everyone in the world.

JRD

1COVER.....My understanding when taking out any travel insurance coverage... is acknowledgement of any medical history or events occuring at time of purchase. (Your policy does say At time of purchase if client is aware etc) (But nobody was aware of this virus . many companies have put a If purchased b4 date clients will be covered).How can you leave people out to dry when policy taken out prior to something that hadn't even happened at such time and was not even around at such time. Unfortunately for 1 Cover many people ( as per reviews) will not use this company again due to not honoring those that had taken out coverage prior to the announcement of corona virus. Yes we are disappointed I hope I have an uneventful up coming holiday . If not ..we'll I know 1cover want care. JD

chops6675
chops6675

Will 1cover reimburse policies amounts if government issue a stage 4 warning on travel? Seems like the only reasonable thing to do.

Mick
Mick · Comprehensive Travel Insurance

Do you offer excess insurance for motor home hire?

1Cover   DM

Hello Mick, We provide rental vehicle excess up to $5000 for motorhomes that are less than 4.5 tonnes. If you have any further queries, or require assistance, please forward an email to info@1cover.com.au

Monica
Monica · Travel Insurance

Will you deal with a medical emergency & pay medical costs upfront

valerie
valerie

Monica
You need to ask this question to 1Cover!!
I posted a review because I am unhappy with them!

1Cover   DM

Hello Monica, If your medical expenses are more than $1000, then we liaise with the medical team and take care of the costs for you. Under $1000, you need to pay upfront and lodge a claim once you return. If you have any other queries, please email your queries to info@1cover.com.au Regards, Helen

Jacquie · Travel Insurance

I will personally be putting my daughter into a public school overseas for a few months. Would she be covered for all medical medical expenses eg breaking arm at school, need to visit doctor ?

Steve G
Steve G

Im not too sure... you are best to email them and confirm it your coverage. Ive done this in the past and they have replied in reasonable time.

thanks will do

1Cover   DM

Hi Jacqui, thanks for getting in contact! We don't have any specific general exclusions for going to school overseas. Provided your daughter isn't engaging in any sort of manual work she may still have provisions to claim if she became sick or injured herself. Please refer to our PDS for our full terms and conditions:https://www.1cover.com.au/assets/1Cover-AU-Standard-PDS_20190710.pdf/ and please do not hesitate to get in contact if you need any further assistance. Kind Regards, Sophie, Customer Service.

Barry
Barry · Travel Insurance

Hi I bought the Already Overseas policy travelling to Hong Kong. Does it cover me if I join a tour to other countries? Thanks

Peter Chigwidden
Peter Chigwidden

I think that you are covered for the allotted number of days that you insured yourself for. But you may need to check

1Cover   DM

Hi Barry, if Hong Kong is the only country listed in your policy then that's the only country we can cover. Please send us an email or give us a call if you'd like to add any additional countries to your policy. You can email us on info@1cover.com.au and call us on 1300 192 021.

Georgi
Georgi · Travel Insurance

Will you cover;
1. travel delay costs and to what $ limit, for rebooking of my return flights home to Australia? if my Antarctica cruise flight transport from King George Island Antarctica back to the departure point Punta Arenas in Chile is delayed due weather? This transport to/from King George Island are part of the cruise Companys itinerary and fully under the Cruise company control. The flights Ive booked and paid myself are Punta Arenas Chile, to Santiago to Australia.

2. Will you cover sea kayaking In Antarctica within 3 nautical miles with a guide? Thanks

1Cover   DM

Hi Georgi, 1) If your flight was cancelled due to weather, which is a claimable event with us, you may have provisions to claim under Cancellation Fees and Lost Deposits. However if your flight was delayed for over 6 hours, you may have provisions to claim under Disruption of Journey for the additional accommodation and travel expenses occurred due to that delay.

2) Sea Kayaking is included in our list of Automatically covered activities. Please see that list here: https://www.1cover.com.au/adventure-travel-insurance/

Please do not hesitate to get in contact with us if you require any further clarification.

David
David · Travel Insurance

does the medical only insurance includes medical evacuation ( flight) from another country back to Australia if needed for medical treatment eg from Vietnam

1Cover   DM

Hi David! Our Medical Only policy covers unlimited medical and that includes medical evacuation to the nearest hospital or back to Australia if necessary. Please refer to our PDS for our full terms and conditions:https://www.1cover.com.au/assets/1Cover-AU-Standard-PDS_20190710.pdf/

Michelle
Michelle · Already Overseas Travel Insurance

Already over seas can i get insurance now?

1Cover   DM

Hi Michelle! If you are currently overseas, the only policy we can offer is the Already Overseas policy. The Already Overseas cover is appropriate for Australia residents who are already overseas and need travel insurance cover because they have either forgotten to purchase before they left Australia or, their existing travel insurance policy has expired.

Please read our conditions of purchase carefully. We can only provide cover provided that you satisfy the following conditions at the time of purchase:

- You are aged 64 or under; and
- You have a permanent residential address in Australia and will be returning to resume residence in Australia at the end of your journey; and
- You intend to return to Australia on the date your policy ends; and
- You purchase your policy within 30 days from either the date you departed Australia; or the expiry of any other travel insurance policy; and
- Your period of overseas travel does not exceed 15 consecutive months in total from the date you originally departed Australia;
- Please note there is a 72 hour waiting period from the start date of the policy for any benefit to be valid

Please note:

For this cover "journey" means the time from when the policy is issued while you are overseas and ends when you arrive at any immigration counter in Australia.
- Journeys can be up to a maximum of 90 days.
- Purchasing an Already Overseas policy is limited to one journey every 12 months.
- No pre-existing conditions will be covered under this policy unless it's an automatically covered condition with 1Cover and you meet the criteria on page 61 of our PDS

Please contact our Call Centre on 1300 192 021 if you have any further questions or would like a quote.

Let me know if I can assist you any further.

Michelle
Michelle · Already Overseas Travel Insurance

I forgot to get travel insurance and am already away can i get now?

1Cover   DM

Hi there! If you are currently overseas, the only policy we can offer is the Already Overseas policy. The Already Overseas cover is appropriate for Australia residents who are already overseas and need travel insurance cover because they have either forgotten to purchase before they left Australia or, their existing travel insurance policy has expired.

- You are aged 64 or under; and
- You intend to return to Australia on the date your policy ends; and

Please note:

- Journeys can be up to a maximum of 90 days.

Let me know if I can assist you any further.

Get an answer from our members and 1Cover representatives

Select a listing for your question
1Cover Travel Insurance