Tesla Model S

Tesla Model S (2013-2021) Questions & Answers

Also referred to as: Tesla Model S 2020 and Tesla Model S 2022. Performance, Long Range
Brand Manager for Tesla? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

3 questions from our users

Robert
Robertasked
Model S (2013-2021)

I see the car is fast, but what about braking. I just googled "Tesla brake failure" sorry im out i dont want to die in a fire ball

DAVIDB
DAVIDB

Perhaps if you focused on current relavant accident data and statics rather than waste your time with rediculous Google search for starters. Go and drive one first, you will find it stops as is expected of a performance vehicle. It is possible to die in a fire ball in any vehicle, get over it.

wilsr
wilsrasked
Model S (2013-2021)

Have any of you the model S with the all glass roof? I am too late to get the metal roofed model and I am concerned about the strength and durability of the roof and also the effect of harsh Australian sun pouring in - do you suffer from this with heat and or burn?

peter atherton
peter athertonasked
Model S (2013-2021)

I am looking to buy my wife a Tesla model S, can someone tell me what they think i have had a few bad experiences buying new cars?

Beardy Bonce
Beardy Bonce

The first question I'd ask is what are you looking for when buying a Tesla and what will the car be used for.

Professionally I drive both the Model S and Model X Teslas on a regular basis.

The Model S's that I drive are the P90D (with ludicrous mode) and the 90D (with out).

The battery range on both the Model S cars i drive is up to 400kms ( the heavier your right foot and the more gizmo's you have specced and on will reduce this).
I'm not sure where you are located but in Sydney there are 5 (soon to be 6) Super Chargers at the Tesla show room in St leonards. The star casino no longer has super chargers. Some shopping centres have electric charging points ....these are not as quick as the super chargers but will get you out of trouble. Tesla now encourage customers to home charge ( installing a phase 3 system is preferred).

The Model S is pretty good for passenger space and comfort and can carry upto 5 ( driver plus 4). Boot space is great and front trunk (no engine remember) is also pretty generous. 2-3 suitcases are not a problem.

Build quality is OK... panel gaps etc can differ/ not be uniform and paint quality seems a bit thin. Internally the finish is quite luxurious but not up to E class or 7 series standards in my opinion..... there are a lot of plastic components used.

Parts... most are readily available locally.

Dealerships.... More Ford than Porsche in manner id say....they are very relaxed.

Performance.... this all depends on the battery and performance options chosen....the P90D is seriously quick!

Options...choose carefully....especially wheel options....bigger wheels= firmer ride and more chance of gutter rash.

There are a growing number of Models S's on the pre-loved market....these will likely have the free charging for life benefit ( cars ordered before mid Jan 2017 qualified for this) which could be an advantage. That said, ive noticed a number of these hang around for a while....perhaps its price related or general infrastructure related ?

I would suggest you and your wife test drive, if possible/available, a number of different model S specs ( to get a feel for options etc), ask pointy questions at the dealership and talk to owners/drivers that are charging their cars at the dealership.

Hope this helps :)

Tesla Model S (2013-2021)