Latitude 28 Degrees Global Platinum Mastercard

Latitude 28 Degrees Global Platinum Mastercard Questions & Answers (page 3 of 5)

94 questions from our users

Lee C

Lee Casked

I am interested in exchange rates....what are these based on for 28 degree card?

J L
J L

Check the providers website, but usually most cards like 28 degrees exchange is based on xe.com then they make their profits by 3 main means, very clever/greedy one is from interest if you don't pay on time, the other is from their new charge fee when you do pay, then they make even more money trading your debt in foreign money exchange markets from minor fluctuations during the currency trading day using their customers spending habits with foreign countries.
SO the more debt you accumulate the more they have to 'play' with your debt.

mike s

mike sasked

can the 28 degree card be used in italy and croatia?

Robyn
Robyn

As long as they accept MasterCard then you can use it anywhere in the world

Conquistador

Robyn It can be used in Italy in fact major Italian retailers in Milan will willingly accept your 28 Degrees Card even if you aren't the legitimate card holder and you aren't present as we discovered. Following a little incident and contact with their Indian Call Centre, you wont get to speak with an Australian, we discovered the cardholder details were changed the credit limit upped and the card cloned and shopping in Milan in the space of 24 hours. The people shopping in Milan or someone in their call centre then extracted $10,000 from our business account so they could go shopping again.
I had used their personal payments portal on their website to pay the monthly dues the first few times this was done I had to input all the data myself, Debit Account No, amount etc, the last time I paid the account the data was there already, they store your data and it appears it is open and accessible to all, it is certainly not secure. My partner now has a disputed $14,000 dollar debt hanging over her head. 28 Degrees are most unhelpful with this they will not communicate with us. They were super quick to give us back the $10,000 from the business account we suspect as they knew they were in the wrong. Be very careful with 28 Degrees and their card sign up for it at your own peril there are other options, Citibank has a card that can do all 28 Degrees can.

Crookers

Crookersasked

How do I contact 28 degrees by email (I am working overseas)

JanW
JanW

I dont have an email address, only these contact details;
Within Australia call 1300 552 079
When overseas call +61 3 9445 0189
Contact us on Skype1 (limited to voice calls only)
Contact us on Facebook
Contact us on Twitter

Fax 1300 369 905

Conquistador

I dont wish to be rude but "Good luck" with that one, you wont find an email address anywhere in fact other than using their Indian Call Centre "Dont" all calls to their 1300 number go through India, you may get stung, they are extremely difficult to contact. Our contact with them over a fraud we found them to be unwilling, evasive and unhelpful everything was directed to India. Good Luck. If you consider using snail mail they wont reply unless it involves a debt you owe them. We even wrote to their senior management about our matter and ares still awaiting a reply a month later. Nothing.

quaggs

quaggsasked

I have a 28 degrees credit card and it has a "pay pass " signal on it. If i pay pass a purchase, is the transaction treated just like purchasing on credit, or is it treated as a debit transaction?

Andrey
Andrey

Paypass treated as credit (not cash advance) and grace period still applicable.
In most cases paypass allows to pay amounts even higher than $100 but PIN is requested in this case.
I don't remember when I used swipe or contact chip reader for payments last time.

Kaylene

Kayleneasked

So what is the 95c that is charged? How do you pay your bill for free. If you pay the full
amount owing after your holiday are there extra charges?

zixo
zixo

Hi Kaylene,
The 95 cent fee is for, I'm told, third party payments. Basically you need to pay the card off through the 28 degrees website. You are prohibited from paying more than you owe, thus preloading your card for cash teller withdrawal when overseas and using it as a cashcard will cost you 95 cents for the privlidge. I queried this with their customer service department because Paypal and outward going Bpay are also known as third part but they somehow allow it. The card has lost its advantages and its new parent Latitude Finance unfairly put in a sneaky fee, Its a terrible insult when you are penalised for actually paying off your credit card. Its a fee that should never be allowed in Australia.

Conquistador

The 0.95c fee if you pay by Bpay is a processing/handling fee as you are using a 3rd party ie your bank or another bank. It used to be that you could pay it directly through your own institution, they took that away so you have to use their Bpay facility on their website or use their personal payment portal in the same location be careful here though if you use the persona payment portal, they store your personal banking data and it is not secure it can be compromised as we discovered to our detriment. Its just another sneaky practice to make money. They are not trustworthy.

Kathy

Kathyasked

How long does it take to receive a card for new appicant

MJM
MJM

Hi Kathy, I have had my card for a number of years now. I think it took around 7-10 days back then. Don't know about now. The customer support line takes ages to answer now, if that is any measure.

Gezzie

Gezzieasked

How can I get a 28 deg. App on my iPad?

Bella
Bella

As far as I can see there is no app. I just google 28 degrees and go to the login page. I then save this to my home screen. You can look at your accounts online and I then just BPay the account when it is due ( in full).

dan801
dan801

There is no App. The website is also generally down approx. between around 11pm and 5am daily.

jam

jamasked

what banks can I use my 28 degree card at in the UK ad Europe ?

Greg

I would say all of them but we used ours for purchases. I have used it though to withdraw at but I cannot recall the names of the banks

Sagar K

Any bank should be ok...But major bank better as they got lot of ATMs

Ellymac

Ellymacasked

Hello, I have the just this 28 degrees MasterCard. I am going to spur east Asia and planning on putting the card into positive $5000, does anybody know if this is okay to do? I understand there is a 3% or $4 fee for withdrawing cash on the card but I am wanting to know if there are fees for putting the card in positive ( I will be using it through the negative if I need) thanks in advance!

Greg

I have been charged anything for loading the card. They advise against it in their promotional material but not sure why. Maybe they just want people to accrue a debt and then pay interest. It has never been a problem for me

Sagar K

It is actually good idea to have it in positive as you will just pay the 3% or 4 dollar fee. I believe there is no other charge if in positive bit make sure always be in positive else they will charge you little higher when in debt

new holder

new holderasked

can I use the loaded cash money only for withdrawing from ATM ,and the credit money for purchasing?

Sue M.
Sue M.

It was worth while doing this in the past before they started charging fees about two years ago for cash withdrawal. I believe it is still the best card to use as a credit card and we still use it when travelling, but we changed to the citibank plus debit card to load cash for cash withdrawals. It also offers no international exchange fees etc. This works well for us, we have had no problems. Many people did this swap when the 3% fee for cash withdrawals was introduced.

Harrison47asked

I made an ATM withdrawal from Nat West in the UK in October 2015 which did not issue any money. However my 28 degrees account was debited for the intended amount A$950. I contacted 28 degrees, and Nat West over this issue and initially the amount was reimbursed to my account. Yesterday 15/02/16 28 degrees have debited this amount from my ANZ account and claim that Nat West state the money was issued, that this is as far as they can go with this complaint. Who do I claim against to seek financial redress? Nat West, 28 Degrees or ANZ?

Sam

Hi Harrison ! If I was you , I would be contacting the bank which owns the ATM - In your case it is Natwest I assume . Also I would be checking with ANZ how they can direct debit without your authority / signature.

Harrison47

Hi Pratheep, I've already contacted Nat West and physically visited the branch the day after this occurred. However, they stipulate as I'm not a Nat West bank member that it is the responsibility of the provider. Since this was a mastercard I've submitted a dispute with them, along with Nat West, and ANZ since it seems all parties are attempting to absolve themselves of responsibility. From what I've learnt to date I believe the card provider would be the one to take to task with the ombudsman, though I'm hoping for a defined answer from this site. Thanks anyway. H

Zoren

Hi Harrison, Sorry to hear this. I personally did not have any issue whatsoever using this card overseas, including in the UK, but we should all be aware that what happens to you can happen to anyone regardless of the card they use. When Europe changed to the Euro, a charge I made a few days before the switch (in German Marks) was debited to the card as the same numeric amount but Euros not Deutche Marks!!! This was about one and a half more than it was supposed to be! I took it up with the bank who issued the card at that time (It was long time ago before the Wizard came out). It took me a several months until they reimbursed me the difference.

I suppose in your case I would still go to NatWest as they must be able to tell from the ATM logs for that day that there was a surplus. Unless their employees stole that surplus (which is also possible, I guess)... They must have some records of that ATM from that day. I am not sure how to make them to release these records. Perhaps the Ombudsman will be able to help? Please post your story as it unfolds. It would be very useful to everyone. I really wish you good luck with this. It is a very nasty issue.

Jealey

Jealeyasked

Is there a non-use charge or a charge to load/reload the card?

Sam

Nope. This is just like any other credit cards. You just log into your banking and then BPAY to transfer funds. No annual / dormant fee as well.

alltimecritic
alltimecritic

There is no non-usage charge. You can have the card without making any transactions on it.
There is no charge to load the card, either. But, once loaded, you can only use the loaded amount for purchases without incurring a charge. If you want to withdraw the loaded amount as cash, a cash advance fee of 3% or $4, which ever is greater, will incur.

Zoren

There is no non-use charge on this card and no charge to transfer money into it. I use BPay to pay it. The only charge that you will see on this card is the 3% fee for cash advances (or $4, whichever is higher as Arjun wrote, I forgot about it because I was never in this situation).

Hee Jung Jenny Yoo

Hee Jung Jenny Yooasked

I've applied for this card online about 8 days ago, received confirmation email but had to wait for my mail to verify ID. Still didn't get any mail for the last 7 days so I called customer service. They told me to go to Australia post (which I will tomorrow) but now that I'm a little worried if I'll be able to verify myself (form says up to 10 business days), get my card delivered (which may take up to 5-10 business days) on time. I'll be travelling to US and Canada on 8th October. Anyone have an experience getting through all these steps within 14 days max?

Rosita Fernandes
Rosita Fernandes

Just use your bank debit card - this GE card is driven by GE and the charges are humongous - if you haven't got it yet, don't bother - honestly !!! I got stung bad and would like to spread the word

Kerrie
Kerrie

What charges were you stung with please?

nanette seeney rothman

nanette seeney rothmanasked

How do I find out the exchange rate they are using at a particular time?

Sonia Kuliwaba
Sonia Kuliwaba

I spoke to them yesterday and they informed me they use the public exchange rate. This rate can be found on the Internet under the XE currency conversion website.

Peter

You can find it here: https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion

Jimminy cricket

Jimminy cricketasked

Can I prepay the 28 degree CC, if so up to how much can I put on the card before I travel?

Ruth Tooth
Ruth Tooth

Yes you can. Not sure if there is a limit. I put something like 5000 on it when went travelling o/s.

mataurus
mataurus

If there is a fraud your money will not be insured (Since it is your money not theirs). Feel free to ask them. :)

Samantha Segaert

Samantha Segaertasked

Hi there just wondering if the 28 Degrees Master Card can be used like a regular credit card at any time, or is it only for when you are traveling & overseas? I.e, can I use is to buy dinner at a restaurant / go shopping, while in my hometown?

Had enough
Had enough

I have used like a regular credit card at any time. You can use it to buy dinner at a restaurant / go shopping, while in your hometown where ever Master Card is accepted.

Trooper Jasked

Hi all,

I got the 28 Degrees MasterCard to pay for something overseas in euros online. My normal bank's card would cost a fortune with their fees and currency rate. I checked the MasterCard conversion rate and I would only be paying a couple of bucks more than the actual exchange rate. Am I missing any fees that I need to consider?

happyfeet
happyfeet

Hi
If you have checked the MasterCard conversion rate, there exchange rates are all that the bank charges. Make sure you ask the merchant to pay in the overseas currency not AUD. this is because merchants sometimes use lower rates and add fees eg PayPal

Trooper J

Thanks for that. I wanted to do an international transfer but now have learnt that its not possible :/

Clueless

Cluelessasked

I'm going to Hong Kong and Vietnam with the intension to load up my 28 degree card with extra $$ so I don't get slapped with cash advance interest. Does anyone know what ATMs I can use without incurring fees for withdrawals in these 2 countries? Thanks

Consumer
Consumer

The major banks should be OK. You should get a message on screen if they intend to charge you.

Kpow54

Kpow54asked

Now that 28 Degrees Mastercard will, from January 2014, be charging for cash advances (even if the cash is your own money that has put the account in credit), what advantage does this card have over any other "travel wallet" product? I have been a prophet about this card to other travellers, but am no longer sure it is worth using.

CheapTravel
CheapTravel

No advantage at all for cash advances. However, travel wallets have their own sets of fees (there is a website that compares the fees for different travel wallets) and you need to check exchange rate when loading your choice of foreign currencies. I think this is where they may 'hide' fees. Citibank Plus account with visa debit card appears to be fee free, but the reviews are very mixed. Am still going to try this one for trip next year and keep 28 degrees for credit transactions.

ed 0013

ed 0013asked

How do you use BPay to recharge the card when overseas?

Peter

This is a credit card, not a debit card, however you can pay money onto using BPay from your bank's Internet banking site. Just like any other credit card.

Get an answer from our members and Latitude Financial representatives