Latitude 28 Degrees Global Platinum Mastercard

Latitude 28 Degrees Global Platinum Mastercard Questions & Answers (page 4 of 5)

94 questions from our users

sam1665

sam1665asked

Are there any fees when you top up your card with money so the card is in credit?

Europe 2013
Europe 2013

I read that many people have topped up their card with no fees - I did not have a need to do this , but I was confident it was not going to be an issue if I had. Cheers

Woody

Woodyasked

travelling to Sth America, while there will be in some remote places, is the card accepted in all ATM's.Does the card come with a four digit pin and is there only 1 card provided or 2?

Peter

With this card you can choose your PIN and yes, you can use at any ATM that accepts MasterCard. However, this is an credit card, and I would never recommend using a credit card to get cash out of an ATM due to the fees and charges associated with them. Sounds like you're looking for one of those Visa/MasterCard debit currency cards which you can get from ANZ, Commonwealth and now Qantas Frequent Flyers. Only one card is issued to the primary cardholder. Other people can be added as additional cardholders.

sallie matta

sallie mattaasked

For accessing cash o'seas does GE28 have global partners for ATMs to avoid fees?

Ken61

I only withdrew funds from Barclays ATMs. The machine gave me a "quote" that seemed to have fees attached, but when I checked the statement online there were no charges, so, I was able to stick with Barclays in the UK. Maybe someone else can answer for other banks in Europe or the US etc.

Ken61

Check this link out for more answers to your question

sallie matta

sallie mattaasked

I need to set up internet banking for ge28mastercard.

how do i preload card before leaving Australia

Ken61

Same way as making a payment. I use Bpay. The initial paperwork tells you the reference number etc to make a payment by Bpay. If the card has a zero balance and you make, say a $2000 payment then you have a $2000 positive balance. Using internet banking allows you to make a payment from your account using Bpay from anywhere in the world.

Lila Giannis

Lila Giannisasked

The August money magazine highlights cash advances rate is 0% . How does this work? Could someone explain this please?

Grozzi

They don't charge a transaction fee but they do treat it as a cash withdrawal and charge interest immediately. I have been able to avoid this in most places, except Thailand, where the host machine always wants to charge a fee. You just have to deposit money in the account, ie put it in the black.
In Bali, the Commonwealth Bank wanted to charge an extra fee, the local ATM did not.
I've got very good exchange rates, but I received very bad service about a chargeback, although I eventually got it.

Lizzy

Lizzyasked

Just wondering if anyone has travelled to south Africa and surrounding areas and used there 28 deg card I am planning to add cash so we can withdraw without charges. Just wondering if you encountered any problems thanks

Ronald
Ronald

Hi Lizzy, never tried it in South Africa but I travelled round the world without exchanging a single cent of foreign currency in 2000 and never had any issues. As long as the ATM overseas have cirrus, you should be fine.

Melissal
Melissal

HI - I've used it in South Africa a few times, and never had any issues using it at ATMs or in stores.

mozz722

mozz722asked

Are you able to use the 28 degree mastercard as a debit card? or only a credit card?
and if you can use it as a debit card- do you have to pay for transaction fees etc. or can you load it yourself online?

Deb

Hi Mozz722, My 4 kids have used them as both debit and credit cards in Europe, Britain and USA. Company does not encourage using as a debit card as they do not get any $ for their service. From memory, they also do not cover any debit $ lost from fraud or stolen cards, so need to be aware you do so at own risk. Fortunately my 4 have not had any problems with that.Cheers

sam

samasked

What rate is the conversion eg if I live in Aust and go to the US and spend $US100, what will it cost me in $A? ie Commonwealth Bank quote a lower conversion rate by around 3c in the dollar to do the converstion (hence also stating no conversion fee). Where do they get their rates and where is it written in their website?

Chris Seymour

They use the mastercard conversion rate see tool at the following website. It is a good rate not 3 cents lower. https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

michael whittaker

michael whittakerasked

If u are overseas and u purchase something, would it be the same Interest rate as if u were at home e.g rate today for Euro is 70 would u get the same rate??

Chris Seymour

I assume you are asking about conversion rate not interest rate. The conversion rate changes daily see the tool at https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

Ken Tough

Ken Toughasked

Has anyone used the 28 Degree MasterCard in Turkey? Do the ATM's accept this card in Turkey?

Deb

Hi Ken, x2 of my kids used them in Turkey. Wherever Mastercards are accepted.

Nigeasked

Have applied for a card
I'm going to philliphines for 3 weeks
Mainly used for cash withdrawing and purchasing
if I withdraw $200 cash from ATM but total for trip $1500 and pay the whole amount back 1 Mth later

How much interest do I pay?

Elle
Elle

If you use the 28 degrees credit card just to make purchases, it will be zero interest if you stick within their interest free days - which from memory is 55 days.
If you withdraw against your credit card, I think you will not have an interest free period. To withdraw funds without incurring interest, you should put money on to the card via BPAY (or other) so your credit card is in credit and then you can use it more of a debit card.

Martin
Martin

The last I saw the interest rate was 21%. You would be better paying interest on the cash advance if you avoid money changer commissions (around 30% coming into Brisbane last week), but Elle has the better answer above..

So if i have a limit of $2000 on the 28d mastercard

Can i bpay $2000 on the card so its $2000 in credit and use it in phillipines to make purchases and cash withdrawals without paying interest and how much are the atm fees usually is it $2-5

ChristineJ

ChristineJasked

when you put the money on to the card do you have to specify how much you want for each currency or does the card allow you to use the cash you have on the card in any of the countries it allows transactions?

k888

You just put AUD on the card. When you withdraw cash overseas, the local currency is converted into AUD and that amount is debited to the card.

This is the same as any other credit card except that the 28 degrees card has no cash withdrawal charges or surcharge on the currency conversion. However, 28 degrees charges a higher interest rate for cash withdrawals and interest on cash withdrawals starts from the date of withdrawal. Hence it is better to have money in the card when you make a withdrawal so that you pay no interest.

Leaf

Leafasked

Does your credit of AUD automatically convert to the currency of your destination?

k888

When you are overseas and make a transaction or withdraw cash, the currency at the destination is converted to AUD which is then billed to your card just as with any other credit card. You don't load the card with different currencies.

All credit cards start charging interest on cash withdrawals from the day of the withdrawal. With most cards there is a withdrawal fee as well as a surcharge of around 3%. The advantage of the 28 degree card is that there is no withdrawal fee or surcharge. However, 28 degrees charge a higher interest rate on cash withdrawals than many other cards. To avoid interest charges for withdrawing cash keep the 28 degree card card in credit.

angela.stamp.9

angela.stamp.9asked

We have just acquired the 28 degrees card and would like to know if we can put it in credit to cover purchases without using our $2000 limit when we are overseas later this year?

bubbleboo
bubbleboo

i've done this numerous time's to actually debt money out of an ATM overseas and havent had any troubles, my limit is $3k then i'll keep toping it up with $1k to take money out or using as a credit card, its like using my own savings card without the fee's! (its only the atm fee that you'll get charged, $2 or so, not a fee from 28D)

teeko
teeko

This might be a silly question. But how do you top up your credit card with money from your bank account? And if you have a credit limit of $3k does that mean you can only top up the credit card with $3k? So if your account is always in a positive credit by topping it up, does that mean that you don't get any bills at the end of the month and don't have to pay anything?

Deb

Hi teeko, not a silly question. You top up or deposit $ into your card account via normal BPay transfer. I do not know if you are limited in how much you can pay into your account but whatever you do put into the account is what you acces like a debit card and do not incurr interest or currency exchange fees. There are fees though, Shopper Protection Fees, Owner ATM charges and 21% interest from day of withdrawal of cash from the credit amount, not any debit amount. Hope that makes sense.

m wright

m wrightasked

Are there fees for overseas atm cash withdrawal?

k888

I used the card in several countries in Europe for cash withdrawal and was never charged a fee by the ATM owner. I believe that some ATMs do charge but I used the ATMs of the major banks.

28 degrees do not charge a fee for cash withdrawal, but unless the account is in credit they charge interest from the day of the transaction. The 28 degree card conversion rate seems to be among the best of the banks.

Beware, many overseas ATMs and eftpos terminals ask you whether you want the transaction charged back in AUD or in the local currency. Always select local currency otherwise you will be charged at the conversion rates used by the local bank plus the local bank's fees.

fairlady

fairladyasked

I have recently used a bank visa card overseas and made a purchase on credit. My statement shows that there was a 'foreign transaction fee' that amounted to about 3% of purchase price.
From what I read about the 28D card, had I possessed a 28D card and used it as a credit card, there would have been no 'foreign transaction fee'.
Is that correct?

WarwwickW
WarwwickW

Phil Thomson

Phil Thomsonasked

Anyone experienced using this card in Russia?

Sue M.

I haven`t used it in Russia, but I did use it in several old Eastern Block countries - Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic without any problems. I used it at any ATM in hotels, railway stations, and town squares etc with no problems. No fees were ever charged. The exchange rate seemed to pretty well be what was the current rate. I thought it was excellent. Hubby and I had one each - two different accounts. Used one as a credit card and the other for cash withdrawals. I hope this answer is not too late for your needs.

Joe
Joe

I have used this card in Russia for months and it is accepted everywhere. I have not have a problem with one single ATM and not been charged an ATM fee once. Best travel credit card ever!

Michelle04

Michelle04asked

I am travelling to LA and New York in April and will only be gone for 20 days. I was going to get the ANZ Travel Card as that locks in the rate and you have US $s on it straight away. I have since been told about 28 degree card and now not too sure which one would be better. It is only a short time and up until now have avoided credit cards as don't really want one. I will have $5000 to load on straight away which I'm sure is a plus but just not sure which one to get. Can anyone advise?

obi1
obi1

Just make sure you do your research about where you can use this card and what banks do not attract the fees.

Anne Cowan

Anne Cowanasked

What is the name of the app that guarantees that you can access 28 degrees on your iPad or iPhone overseas? I have read somewhere that it is not any good with safari. I don't want to get over there and find I can't check the account and do monthly bay too

AJStar
AJStar

Hi Anne, I have an old android phone and it worked fine although I had to scroll around to see everything. Their website isn't specifically designed for tablets/phones so if you're having problems using the standard Safari then maybe try downloading the Google Chrome or Opera browsers, but make sure you test it before leaving home!
Andrew

chien

chienasked

When travelling overseas, where do find the westpac ATM?

P Larter
P Larter

Hi Chien,
You do not need to find a Westpac ATM to be able to withdrawl cash for free overseas. Any ATM that allows use of Mastercard will work for you. However, be careful that some foreign banks charge a cash withdrawl fee themselves. For examle in Thailand, Thai banks charge an ATM withdrawl fee of 150 baht for overseas cards - the only exception in Thailand that I know about is AEON bank.
cheers

Chaz5
Chaz5

You will not find an Australian ATM such as Westpac when overseas. You use any ATM that uses Mastercard.

Sue M.

I used any ATM while travelling and have never been charged a fee. The Westpac restriction only applies for use in Australia.

Get an answer from our members and Latitude Financial representatives