Latitude 28 Degrees Global Platinum Mastercard

Latitude 28 Degrees Global Platinum Mastercard Questions & Answers (page 5 of 5)

94 questions from our users

Tonette

Tonetteasked

How much it cost to get the 28 degrees Mastercard?

There is no cost to obtain the card and no annual fee. Just credit interest like other cards if there is a debt after 55 days or you make a cash advance. You complete the on-line application form and then see if you are accepted. Similar to obtaining a credit card from other sources.

A.Harrison

A.Harrisonasked

Can you load the 28 degree master card with cash before you leave the country and then use it like a debit card?

Chaz5
Chaz5

Yes you can load your card with cash. We loaded cash on before we left and also while we were away.
You still use it like a credit card but it uses your funds first before using the credit available on your account. We have travelled extensively overseas in the previous 6 years & using the 28 Degrees Mastercard has by far been the easiest & most cost effective.

Yes, absolutely, I did the same thing on a recent trip to Indonesia, I withdrew my own money to a point where I left about $5 of my own money on it so there were no fees and no interest.

I agree. I guess it is a matter of softly, softly, adding a 'reasonable' amount. 28degrees doesn't 'market' this feature as they make their money from credit and cash advances. But it works. I B-Paid extra in to make sure I had my full credit limit before departure and preloaded spending money before leaving Oz. I added some more overseas through B-Pay as I had a future hotel bill needing to be 'quarantined' on my card. Takes a little time to show up on the on-line transactions page but it is there as you can see from the credit gauge. I used ATMs then to make cash withdrawals of my credit. Even if you used cash advances I calculated that after a month of interest (pay the balance immediately on return to Oz or B-Pay from o/s) you come out far better than using a Travel Card and its fees. The Mastercard forex rate used by GE is the best around even converting from another currency to USD and back to AUD. This card is the best around.

Donjoh

Donjohasked

I am going to Bali - has anyone experienced difficulties with the card there - any ATM fees etc?

No problems just use the major local banks. Don't use commonwealth bank ATMs, they will charge.

Barney999
Barney999

Feedback from Indonesia use just above... looks good.

nan_aliceasked

Sorry. Forgot to ask how easy it would be to close the account and get the balance of funds (recharged onto the credit card) once the account was closed? Are there alternatives to just closing it, perhaps? What sort of penalties are there to close it?

If you have your balance in credit when you arrive home, you cannot get that balance transferred into your usual operating account as 28D make you use up your balance money first just like when you are overseas, before you are able again to use their credit facility, That happened to me last year.

nan_aliceasked

Just doing some research on the best travel card to use in the Philippines. I've tried ANZ's travel card and found it didn't work consistently. I was charged for using ATMs (by the company that owned the ATM and charged conversion rates) at about $5 or $7 a pop. I'm a bit worried at the negative experiences I'm reading about, but seems that GE have made improvements including the website account access and updating the expenditure on the account. I'm not so worried about that, but am keen to know which Philippines banks ATMs will take the card and how well it went for purchases.

Hi nan_alice. Product Review asked me to respond to your query. I can't comment on acceptability of the 28 Degrees card in the Philippines, but expect it would be excellent since the card is part of the Mastercard franchise, which is widely accepted internationally. Regarding ATM charges, ATM owners charge a transaction fee in most places (but not all, France for example), though not as much as $5 or $7 in my experience. If you are concerned about ATM fees, then a good option is to withdraw cash in reasonably large amounts and then pay for purchases with cash. The important thing to remember with 28 Degrees card, as with any other card, is if you wish to withdraw cash, always keep the card balance in the black. If you don't, the card company will charge usurious interest rates. Enjoy your trip. PJ

Not too sure about Phillipines cash machines but I found the 28 degrees card fantastic in nearby Indonesia, I topped up the card with my own cash before I left Australia and withdrew it last week from an Indonesian bank cash machine (BNI) and again at an ATM at a 24 hour cash conversion/convienence store with no problems. I checked my statement yesterday online and they charged NO fees for currency conversion, and NO ATM fees. I am very impressed.

This is a credit card so the trick is to top it up with your own money a week or two before you go, and don't go into debit on it as the interest is very high about 22 percent.

I'm not sure about the Phillipines but I'm sure the exprience be similar there. I'm going to try the card again when I visit Mauritius in a few weeks time.

Another card you could try is the Citibank Plus card, it's a visa debit card, you top it up with your own cash, and has no overseas ATM or conversion fees.

Hope this helps!

goingawaysoon

goingawaysoonasked

I asked them on the phone if I could top the card up with cash and thus have it in positive balance. They said they don't recommend doing it this way. But then if I withdraw cash I will be charged 20.99% interest. Is there a reason to not have it in positive balance - or it it that they lose money?

Kiki33
Kiki33

They probably don't recommend this because they won't repay any additional $ in the event of fraud. That is, if you lose your card and someone makes purchases with it, I doubt they will cover the topped up amount. By law, they must cover any money stolen that comes from your credit so long as you report it immediately. I added $10 000 before I went overseas and again during our trip. When I told them I was using it in Europe, they saw the $10 000 of my money in the account and simply reminded me that purchases and cash advances would come from my money first. They didn't seem to worry about the extra dollars in the card. If I went again, I would only put $5000 on at a time to limit my risk in the event of fraud on my card.

nan_alice

From all the posts I'm reading, the BESTway to use this card is to top it up. It is worrying there isn't fraud insurance on it, though. I'd get a limit of $2000 then top it up with just $2000.

The answer is to keep the account in the black in order to avoid heavy interest charges. Using BPay, you can keep transferring relatively small amounts periodically, with the amount transferred calculated to keep your balance in positive territory for, say, the next week or so. Using the card this way, it works well.

Michael Barrington

Michael Barringtonasked

After reading the above comments I am a bit confused as some say the 28degrees exchange rate is good, others say there are no fees charged at all and when I used the card in Europe and England last year, I don't think any fees at all showed up on my bank card statement.
So, the question is, are ALL overseas purchases free of any 28 degrees exchange rates, fees or charges ?
It is important for me to know as I am finding that when booking accommodation overseas, they ask for a 3% -6% surcharge on the amount which I presume is for credit card fees that they, as the merchant, pay the credit card company. If I can prove somehow to them that they will not be charged any merchant fees by 28 degrees, I have a logical case for asking them not to charge this to me.
Thanks for anyone's help on this as I must be absolutely clear on this before objecting to surcharges.

Rachael1328
Rachael1328

It is to my understanding that there are no fees for overseas transactions. In fact when you google 28 Degrees the heading is "travel card with no international fees". The website mentions it over and over, "australian credit card that offers no annual fee, no currency conversion fees and no international fees"It is obviously a charge by the merchant. I have just paid for a bunch of accommodation in Hawaii and there are no fees.

Thanks very much Rachael,but the Hotel in the UK is still going to charge me an extra 3% on the bill because they say that 28 D is still a credit card and they get charged a fee by their

thanks rachael, i've now found out that you are right except that I checked my last years statements for a Europe trip and paid ginormous ATM owner fees in Poland, Czech republic and nearby countries and that if in a foreign country, one should check with the bank what their ATM fees are. Also,hotels might charge a credit card fee if their credit card company charges them to handle your transaction. UK does this. However, no charges whatsoever for withdrawing cash from ATM's in the UK as long as you top up your 28D card with cash beforehand and ensure that the ATM is FOC that you propose to use, otherwise you pay cash advances interest at over 20%. I'm now a bloody 28D expert and even know how to transfer cash from my Aussie account by bPay into my 28D card, WOW !

ocular57

ocular57asked

Hard to get a list of international atms with no access fees. 28degrees say that westpac atms are access fee free dosmetically, but say international atms may charge an access fee? What is the experience of thise that use their 28degrees MC overseas for cash advance

Andy29
Andy29

I was primarily travelling in russia so wasn't choosy there or anywhere else about what ATM I used, I just used the first one i came to. From memory i wasn't charged many fees at all, if any - and if charged, then the fee was maybe AUD2 which is nothing. i think they are warning users "just in case" but in reality its not an issue.

Joode

Have never had an ATM fee for transaction fee charged in 7 years (even back when it was called the Wizard card) and no transaction
fees either plus a very good exchange rate.

Mackie40

Mackie40asked

Do I have to inform 28 Degree when I am going overseas and intend using the card?

Valmorph
Valmorph

Probably a good thing to do. Having said that I have never bothered to let them know - just rocked up and started using it.

Joode

Always advise any CC provider when you're going overseas otherwise you risk having it locked! I forgot once on a trip to Thailand and within seconds of making my first purchase had a phone call from them to verify I was in possession of the card.

frank06

frank06asked

How do you load your 28d card with your own money?

Marsha26
Marsha26

Use the Bpay facillity

Joode

Just do a funds transfer online.

lmjsr

lmjsrasked

Hi, we are travelling through South America in September and wonder if this card is suitable to use throughout? We will go to Chile, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina.

RobertHack
RobertHack

You can use it Anywhere that takes Mastercard. I have not been to those countries so I don't know if they have Mastercard there, I suspect they would. Regards.

Allan44
Allan44

I would take a backup. I travelled to Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Paraguay in South America and found very few Atm's accepted the card. It is the only region of the world other than Antarctica (for obvious reasons) that I had some trouble using it, but certain ATM's did accept it. My commonwealth bank ATM card worked when the 28 degrees MasterCard did not.

gypsy2020

gypsy2020asked

Just spoke to someone on the phone from 28 degress mastercard and he told me that the policy says I can't load it with extra cash of my own? Others are saying they have could someone please let me know as I am leaving in 3 weeks.

frances20

their policy is no.. you cant do it. your at a risk if you load on your own funds as they will only cover their money if the card is lost or stole.. loading your own funds (overpaying the account) can be blocked by the company as its seen as suspicious to add a large amount when you owe nothing.

lizzy30

lizzy30asked

anyone have any problems loading money onto the card to put it in credit? just wondering if it incurs fees or theres a limit to how much you load on to it?

aussiedarren
aussiedarren

Lizzy30, I have never had any problems with loading this card, There are no fees to load or to put it into credit. Ive loaded as much as I like. I suggest you read the numerous private reviews as most of this is explained.

Sue M.
Sue M.

Lizzy30. We are going to set up an automatic Bpay amount to go in once a week to keep the account topped up while we travel. This is to avoid having too much sitting in the account as cash fraud is not covered. We can always top up more if it becomes necessary. Be aware that it can take up to 5 days or so to show up on the account. I loaded $4000 onto it before my last trip, but I have decided a weekly top up from now on.

Fiona S

Fiona Sasked

How much do you have to put on your card to put it into credit? - have a $6000 limit and want to be able to draw cash out without paying interest

Joode

How much do you think you'll need? Work it out and put that much onto it.

frances20

anything over your credit limit will put your account into credit... pay $1 you have $6001.. but $1 of your own money etc

Get an answer from our members and Latitude Financial representatives