Latitude 28 Degrees Global Platinum Mastercard

Latitude 28 Degrees Global Platinum Mastercard (page 4 of 4)

Pros

• No Annual Fee

• No International Transaction Fees

• No Currency Conversion Fees

Cons

• Reviewers complain about fees when paying off the card (e.g. $0.95 BPAY fee)

• Website and app experience seen as sub-par

CategoryNo Annual Fee Credit Cards and Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards
Card TypeMastercard
BenefitsNo Foreign Transaction Fee
Minimum Credit Limit $6,000
Additional Cardholders 1
Additional Cardholder Fee $0 p.a.
Minimum Repayments2.5%
Contactless PaymentsApple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
Rates & Fees
Purchase Rate21.99% p.a.
Cash Advance Fee3%
Late Payment Fee$30
Annual Fee$0 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 0%
Overseas ATM Withdrawal Fee$0
Interest Free Period 55 days
Cash Advance Rate21.99% p.a.
Release dateAug 2006

tjayz
tjayz
SP

SPSouth East Queensland, QLD

Make sure you have the latest reviews

I reviewed the 28 Degrees master card late last year and decided it would be great for my upcoming trip to Spain in May 2014. One review said to preload the card with my dollars so cash advances wouldn't cost. Did that and then got a nasty surprise when I withdrew my own funds. 300 euros cost me over $13 in fees to take out my own money! Made the same transaction 2 weeks later with my NAB debit card with no fees and a slightly better exchange rate! Exchange rate could have been the luck of the draw but not sure now if I would have been better to use the NAB card all the way.
Not convinced there are any now
Fee to withdraw my own money

Just cut up my card - 3% Cash Advanced fee. No thanks

I used a friends card for pre loaded cash advanced last year, great! no fees.
now they have introduced a 3% cash advanced fee EVEN on pre loaded amounts.
Not worth using overseas - CitiBank Everyday Access has $0 fees!
There are other banks out there that are better for travelling
Used to have 0% cash advanced fees - great for travelling
Now has fees for cash advanced. not worth it

No Annual Fee Credit Cards

Find out how Latitude 28 Degrees Global Platinum Mastercard compares to other No Annual Fee Credit Cards

ling

lingSydney, NSW

Was Good But Not Anymore

A wrote up a favourable review last year on this card but since the new fees have come in they are no better than anybody elses. In Thailand last year when I made a 20,000 Baht withdrawal from an ATM, I paid zero fees with the card pre-loaded with my money. Now that same transaction costs me around $25, that is very expensive for a small withdrawal. I am not using it for ATM withdrawals anymore as there are better options out there.
Was Good Without Currency Conversion Fees
Currency Conversion Fees

Graeme

GraemeSydney

Was brilliant...now just ok

Used to be the best card for international purchases and travel but they have now introduced fees. Before 2014 you could preload the card with money before going abroad and make ATM withdrawals for free. Was slugged with a 3% cash "advance" fee when making ATM withdrawal whilst overseas when my account was in credit. They introduced this charge without telling me. Still ok for making overseas purchases though. Time to move to Citibank Plus for overeseas cash.
Overseas purchases no fees
Expensive overseas cash fees despite preloading card

Bounc3
Bounc3

It's a credit card, not a debit card!

Customer service, zero stars...

I have been on the phone waiting for over 50 minutes now... I am only new to this card and have a series of questions that I machine or the website cant answer... I dont seem to have any options but keep waiting...
generally accepted overseas
customer service, horrible.

Consumer

ConsumerMelbourne

Fine if you are very careful

GE isn't a bank. Numerous friends with high incomes have been refused a card while their children on low incomes with high debt obtain one. It appears that they are interested in those likely to pay the high interest fees. Nevertheless if you manage to get one and pay off on time it is useful for overseas purchases.
No conversion fees on purchases. Would recommend for this purpose only
Bad customer service, slow to update on line - no way of accurately checking your current status

Tomo

TomoParis

Why can we not contact via email??

So currently sitting in Greece panicking as around $900 has just disappeared from my card and the transactions do not add up at all. Of course these people cannot be contacted via email. I thought these cards automatically converted from AUD to the relevant currency free of charge? How does €100 = $127AUD when the Australian dollar has been hovering around $1.26 to 1euro?

To say these cards are accepted everywhere is just not the case. I have lost track of the amount of times I've been told "we only accept (insert country) credit cards" and this is my guess as to why I'm getting charged $127 for $100 withdrawals from strange local ATMS but who knows. Not sure what I am going to do.

KiwiJem
KiwiJem

"How does €100 = $127AUD when the Australian dollar has been hovering around $1.26 to 1euro?"
If the exchange rate is 1 euro to AUD $1.26 then 100 euro should be AUD $126, so are you quibbling over $1?? Maybe think the math through again?

Lize37

Lize37Sydney

Pretty average

I have been travelling now for two weeks and I can't call as I do not have a phone to pay off my card as I have exceeded my limit but I can't pay my card off because I have not received my statement yet. I have found no way to find how to pay it early thus I have just had to use my regular credit cards. They offer no contact email and my Internet login has not worked for the last week.
There are no annual fees
No online support to travellers without phones. Can't pay card of without receiving statements

sideshow
sideshow

of course you can, just bpay money to the card from your bank account, as usual.

Swellski
Swellski

You need to get the account number which you find on your first statement, if you don't want to wait that long you ring them and they tell you the number to use in BPAY

obi1

Sue M.
Maksym Kozlenko

Maksym KozlenkoNew South Wales, Australia

Application processing time

Made an application today after seeing "Approved in 60 seconds" banner. Unfortunately after spending 10 minutes filling forms got a response that it will take up to 10 business days to review it. Since I've applied only for a $1000 credit limit, have a good credit history and was already a customer of GE money I was surprised by long processing time.

2 weeks waiting time is not good option for me. I think a lot of people will prefer a "debit" card with similar features rather having to go through long approval process for line of credit
No currency conversion fees for withdrawing money in ATM and payments
No "debit" card option and long application process.

tronny
tronny

Yes, you can have a positive balance on this card, but I agree that the processing time is ridiculous. What did you end up going for?

Barnes

BarnesAU

Hopeless

I am on a Old State Super pension and just tried to get a card. I sent them all details but still wanted an accountant to verify. Obviously GE has no idea how this super scheme works and just lumps everyone together. Their accountants should know how this pension works. I told them to forget it's all too hard.
thought it would be a good card to take o/s
Ignorance of Australian super schemes

Poor customer service

Brent07Sydney

Do not rely soley on this card as your only cash supply

Pauldg
Pauldg

You probably have a problem with your computer mate. I can't believe that all what you say could happen unless you were doing it all wrong.

Brent07

Believe me - it happened!

amyy90
amyy90

really?? I hadnt logged in for 8 months and it still worked. never had a problem. maybe a glitch in your account?

Good to travel with, but pay it off!

Great for overseas travel, but make sure you pay up in full by the due date otherwise you'll get hit with heft interest payments. For example, my balance was $2100, interest charged was $71.00. Quite high considering!
No fees on when travelling abroad
High interest and vague funny pay in full rules

Jockeygirl
Jockeygirl

P Brabin

P BrabinSYDNEY

No one home when you need help

With 3 auxiliary questions for security you don't need to get locked out when you stuff up one of your 47 passwords!
Being able to at least notify a problem via secure email would be nice, especially when there's no one there to get hold of.
Faster processing of transaction details for online verification would be helpful.

I'm about to head for Africa. I do not believe 28 Degrees will be there for me if I need help. For communication via secure email and a 24/7 presence, I think I'll be canning 28 Degrees and go with Bank West's better package and much more inspiring customer support.

Meson Quark