4Legs Natural Dog Food

72 questions from our users

Tracy

Tracyasked

Natural Dog Food

Hi any stores in Perth with more flavours?

None
None

I live in Adelaide so I can’t ANSWEER your question.

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Tracy, are you looking for certain varieties in particular? You should be able to find our food in Coles, Woolworths and some independents. If you would like us to locate a stockist in your area please drop us a line at helpdesk@4legs.com.au
Thanks! Melissa & the 4Legs Family

Amber Masked

Natural Dog Food Puppy Food - 3 Meats with Sweet Potato

My puppy loves this particular food, and won't touch any other flavour. I've noticed that Coles took it off the shelf recently, and I'm wondering if it's just the one particular store that's gotten rid of it or if it's been discontinued? So you still stock this flavour in any other store?

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Amber, unfortunately our puppy food has been discontinued and is no longer available. However, it has been replaced with our new Gourmet Recipe range which has a variety formulated for puppies. You can find out more about it here: https://4legs.com.au/introducing-4legs-gourmet-recipe/
Cheers
The 4Legs Family

Amber M

Thank you. I will give these new flavours a try.

Maria

Mariaasked

Natural Dog Food Chicken with Vegies & Pasta

my 11 month old loves this brand, but is it fattening with the pasta content in it?

Tiki D

Tiki Dasked

Natural Dog Food

Is the 4leg range a suitable addition for a Dalmatian on a low purine home prepared diet?

Robbiejdbay

Robbiejdbayasked

Natural Dog Food

Is this food available in the Caboolture area of Queensland?

Melissa C.4Legs

Thanks for your query! Yes, you should be able to find 4Legs at Coles, Woolworths or your local independent supermarket. If you would like us to locate a specific store for you, please drop us a line at helpdesk@4legs.com.au
Melissa & the 4Legs Family

Hazel K

Hazel Kasked

Natural Dog Food Kangaroo Lite with Vegies

As I live in Singapore, I got these boxes on my holiday. My dog adores the Kangeroo Lite. As she is allergic to most meats, I bought these to try and it worked! I was wondering if these boxes can be frozen for a longer shelf life?

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Hazel, thanks for getting in contact. Yes, you can freeze 4Legs, but please ensure it's used within three days once defrosted and opened. Thanks, Melissa & the 4Legs Family

Merilyn M

Merilyn Masked

Natural Dog Food Puppy Food - 3 Meats with Sweet Potato

Hi - I have a cavoodle who is 4 weeks pregnant and not wanting to eat much of anything - the only food I could get into her was cooked too burgers - which are low in calcium which is a concern for pregnant dogs - she actually enjoys eating your puppy food - has it got adequate calcium levels for pregnant and lactating?

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Merilyn, thanks for getting in contact. We have responded to your query in detail via your Facebook message. Here's a brief summary of the information Dr Felicity provided you with:
The energy requirements for a dog in the first 42 days of pregnancy is the same for an adult entire dog. For a 7kg cavoodle, this equates to 540kcal per day. (340g 4Legs Adult Chicken and Rice or 450g 4Legs Grain Free Puppy).
Energy requirements during the last 21 days of pregnancy typically increase by around 50%. For a 7kg cavoodle the energy requirement would increase to about 900kcal per day (560g 4Legs Adult Chicken and Rice or 760g 4Legs Grain Free Puppy).
We recommend either the Chicken and Rice or Puppy Grain Free varieties as they contain calcium levels that are moderate.
During lactation, a complete and balanced diet that provides energy is required. Calcium supplementation is not required unless there is a dietary deficiency. Feeding a good commercial diet that the mother finds highly palatable is essential. Puppy formulations are fine to use during lactation.
Melissa & the 4legs Family

Kylie ann

Kylie annasked

Natural Dog Food Angus Beef & Vegies Roll

Is this suitable for puppies.

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Kylie Ann, thanks for getting in contact. We recommend using 4Legs Puppy variety and then introducing adult food (like the Angus Beef & Veggie Roll) once they have reached 80% of their adult weight.
Melissa & the 4Legs Family

Jessica W

Jessica Wasked

Natural Dog Food Kangaroo Lite with Vegies

Does this food need to be cooked?

TonyH
TonyH

No cooking required, its ready to serve straight from the pack.

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Jessica, our food is ready to serve right from the packet. Cheers, Melissa & the 4Legs Family

Elizabeth

Elizabethasked

Natural Dog Food Kangaroo Lite with Vegies

Duchess is a Maltese cross with Bichon Frieze breed and weighs between 4.1kgs and 4.6 kgs I note on Kangaroo with Veggies Lite that portion sizes start at 5 kgs. ..should I be feeding Duchess another one of your products? ? It is that she often plays or covers up her food, but she doesn't with your kangaroo food, so I have stayed with it, but she is under weight. I meant to say in my review that there is no "doggie" smell with eating your product.

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Elizabeth, I will pass your question on to our Resident Vet & Dietary Consultant, Dr Felicity Banks, as she will be better able to assist. If possible, can you please contact our Help Desk at helpdesk@4legs.com.au & Felicity will be able to provide a specific guide for Duchess. To assist Felicity, I will ask some specific questions once you contact help desk such as Duchess' diet including snacks, her age etc. Cheers Christine & the 4Legs Team

Eddy

Eddyasked

Hi we have been feeding our 4 year old staffy 4 legs for her hole life
Just recently she has started vomiting when we feed her the kangaroo mix,any help would appreciate
Eddy

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Eddy, we're so sorry to hear you've had this experience with our product! Please contact Christine in our Customer Service team (helpdesk@4legs.com.au) so that we can follow up and see if we can get to the bottom of this problem. Thanks again for getting in contact. Cheers, Melissa and the 4Legs Team

Gloria Jean

Gloria Jeanasked

Natural Dog Food

Can you please advise how I can get a free reusable lid or where I can buy one?

Hi Gloria,
Thanks for getting in touch, I can send a free lid right away. Can you please contact me via our Help Desk at HELPDESK@4LEGS.COM.AU to let me know your postal address. You can get a free lid or cap anytime via our Help Desk or alternatively, you can register on our Website. Here is the link:http://4legs.com.au/free-tray-lid-or-roll-cap/
Whichever suits you best.
Cheers Christine & The 4Legs Team

Pete

Peteasked

Natural Dog Food Puppy Food - 3 Meats with Sweet Potato

What is the ingredient content?

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Pete, you can find a full list of ingredients for our puppy food here http://4legs.com.au/product/3-meats-w-sweet-potato/

Susan K

Susan Kasked

Natural Dog Food Chicken with Vegies & Pasta

How much of your 4 legs dog food should I feed my toy poodle?

Megan
Megan

Hi hun. Our pup is only 11 weeks so having 3 meals a day atm. He has a large serving spoon full at each meal. We heat it to warm it and break it up a bit as hes still so little.

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Susan, you can find a feeding guide on the product pages of our website. For instance, if you use our Chicken with Vegies and Pasta, you can find further feeding information here: http://4legs.com.au/product/w-chicken-pasta-and-vegies/

For dogs between 5-10kg we recommend around 250-350g per day, however this is just a rough guide and doesn't take into account other products you may be using.

It is important to remember that like humans, dogs (even of the same size and breed) may metabolise their food differently. For this reason we cannot guarantee this guide will suit your dog. Please monitor your dog's weight and adjust the feeding amount accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Stella

Stellaasked

Natural Dog Food Puppy Food - 3 Meats with Sweet Potato

i have a 6 month old ridgeback cross (unknown what with )she is 12 kilos how much puppy food should i feed her ?

Hi Stella,
You can find a feeding guide and further information about 4Legs Puppy food here: http://4legs.com.au/product/3-meats-w-sweet-potato/

Remember this is a guide only and individual puppies may need slightly more or slightly less than the amounts shown.

The daily ration should be divided into three or four meals per day for young puppies (less than 4 months of age) but for older puppies two meals per day is generally sufficient.
Make all changes in food amount, meal numbers and food type (eg. puppy food to adult food) as gradually as possible.

Adult food can start to be introduced when puppies have grown to around 80% of their expected adult weight.

Please note large or giant breeds (30kg to 60kg adult body weight) require a different feeding regime to the one suggested above - please contact 4legs if you intend feeding puppies of large or giant breeds.

cheers

merryn

merrynasked

Natural Dog Food Lamb, Coconut & Vegies

Hello, I haven't checked the other flavors but bought the lamb, coconut and rice flavour and have found it includes garlic (and has a yummy garlicky smell), but I thought garlic was bad for dogs? It looks like lots of experienced dog owners and a vet recommend this - can you comment on the garlic issue please? Thank you!

Dear Merryn,

Thank you for getting in touch regarding your concerns about the inclusion of garlic in our dog food products.

There are a lot of different arguments both for and against feeding dog’s garlic is small doses. It is of course widely agreed that dogs shouldn't be fed large doses of garlic.
Our vet consultant, Dr Felicity Banks, has determined that the level of garlic used in our food is so low that a dog (big or small) would need to consume twice its own body weight of our food in one sitting before the level of garlic consumed would be of concern. In addition, over the 17 years that our product has been available, we have never had a health issue brought to us by a consumer that has turned about to be related to the garlic content of the food.

Regarding the why, Animal Nutritionist Jonathon Woodroofe has provided the following:
Dogs have been consuming small quantities of garlic as a component of table scraps since they first started associating with humans. In fact, a committee established by the US National Research Council to examine the safety of dietary supplementation of dogs, cats and horses with garlic and other supplements noted that garlic has a long history of safe use with dogs when consumed in small amounts. Garlic has been associated with a variety of health benefits including boosting the immune system, acting as an anti-hypertensive and acting as an anti-infective.
In addition, it contains a number of nutritional valuable compounds, such B vitamins and organic trace minerals. A small, carefully controlled, amount of garlic is used in some 4Legs products. It is, however, important to recognise that many foodstuffs which are beneficial in reasonable amounts can be harmful if consumed in excessive quantities. There have, for example, been cases of toxicity in humans caused by over-consumption of carrot juice (due to vitamin A poisoning). It is true that excessive quantities of garlic consumed on a regular basis can be harmful to dogs.
Much of the present concern about garlic stems from a research trial conducted in Japan involving eight dogs 1. Four of these dogs were fed garlic at a rate equivalent to feeding a 20kg dog 100 grams of garlic a day (i.e. the equivalent of around 15 to 20 cloves of garlic per dog per day). Feeding this amount of garlic led to the appearance of damaged red blood cells but even with this very large dose none of the dogs actually developed haemolytic anemia.
This information along with references is also available as an article on our helpdesk portal:
I've heard that garlic is harmful to dogs, so why is it in your dog food? - https://4legs.zendesk.com/entries/26512713

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Gracie

Gracieasked

Natural Dog Food

My dog's vet thinks my dog has developed sensitivity to a particular protein. After a few experiments and elimination, I have learned that her stomach works well with a bit of boiled chicken breast, rice, and carrots. This looks like a good alternative - just wondering if anyone has experienced this and which variant should I try?

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Gracie, if you would like to try 4Legs, we suggest that the ingredient list be supplied to your veterinarian who can then help you to make a decision on whether the food is suitable. A chicken variety would be the better choice in this instance, for example the Chicken Rice & Vege Meatball 900g tray. However, any dietary recommendation needs to be made by the attending vet. If you'd like more information regarding our ingredients, you can check out our Website at http://4legs.com.au/product/ or you can contact our Help Desk on HELPDESK@4LEGS.COM.AU. Cheers Christine & the 4Legs Team.

Blake91

Blake91asked

Natural Dog Food Chicken with Vegies & Pasta Roll

Is this ok to feed my 8 week old kelpie or should I feed him the puppy one as there is no ages?

daff
daff

I don't think it matter but start him on the puppy feed first. I think i started jett at 3 month and he was ion the adult feed because i didn't relies there was one fir puppies lol

ceps
ceps

My puppy is 11 weeks and we are using either this or the puppy one. Not much of it, just for training treats. The puppy trainer uses it, so if it's good enough for her...

Melissa C.4Legs

Hi Blake91, we suggest you feed your puppy our 4Legs Puppy Three Meats with Sweet Potato. It's been formulated specifically for puppies. You can find out more and view a feeding guide here http://4legs.com.au/product/3-meats-w-rice-parsley/
If you need stockist information, please give us a call on 1800 655 687

peterlonz

peterlonzasked

Natural Dog Food

I have never used or sen for sale this product.
No real idea exactly what it is, I guess it's a dog roll?
But what is the composition, how is it stored & how long will it remain fresh once opened?
Please reply also to" peterlonz@email.com"

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting in contact.

4Legs an Australian family owned and made, all natural, preservative free fresh pet food. Our range includes meat balls and rolls and can be purchased at Coles, Woolworths and independent supermarkets across Australia.

You can find out everything you need to know about our products (ingredients, nutrition, storage) on our website at 4legs.com.au We've also sent you an email with this info.

Colabear

Colabearasked

Natural Dog Food

Hi firstly I want to say my dog loves her food now, thanks to you guys.
She did seem a little bit hungrier after being fed than normal. As a result I started to weigh her food out and found instead of there being 900grms as the pet says, it's only on average 780g please can you explain. I weighed the last three pkts. So I had been under feeding her. I divided it by 4 to begin with which should have been 225g but it was more like 190g
Just wondering if you have an explanation?

Hi Colabear,

Thank you for getting in touch. We are very pleased to hear that your dog loves her food! We are, of course, concerned to hear that you have found our products to be underweight and would like to find out more so as to get this issue resolved. Next time you are weighing out your portions, would you mind weighing the entire packet first? We had a similar enquiry some years ago where the kitchen scales were not measuring smaller portions accurately, but when the whole content of our 900g packet was weighed out, there was a minimum of 900g of food. If we are indeed supplying you with underweight product, we definitely want to get you are refund. Please get in contact via helpdesk@4legs.com.au so that we can organise this for you.

Best regards, The 4Legs Team.

Get an answer from our members and 4Legs representatives