A'van Aliner 1

4.0 from 1 review · View Statistics

8 questions from our users

HappyNomadasked

Aliner 1

Where are the jacking points on the Aliner please?

Noel
Noel

There is none , they are a horrible design, i worked for Avan for years and they are very flawed in everyway very bad quality they dont even use qualified staff

HappyNomad

Despite the company's appalling reputation for lack of after sales service, there has been a lack of alternative light weight vans in Australia until quite recently. My Aliner is now 19 years old and still sound in every aspect. I don't much care for the newest models with soft moulded plastic fronts and rear ends.

actionplayer
actionplayer

Great answer noel, I also worked for a avan dealer for a very long time as I did all the work while the rest of the unqualified staff were knifing me in the back. It was very hard to work there when all the customers only wanted to deal with me but wouldn't set foot into the dealership. When this happens you get aqused of stealing customers. If they had qualified staff then they would tell them that you have to spray under the front roof with inox were the back roof runs under it every 6 months, then you wouldn't see so many people saying on this forum that it is hard to push there camper up. because it isn't when you do that.

Viv

Vivasked

Aliner 1

hi, we have an a'liner 2003 and love it but we think the window blinds over main bed, made of some sort of paper in a fan fold are terrible. Does anyone else agree ?

Jan

Janasked

Aliner 1

Hi we are finding the bed a bit small can we make it larger by turning it around and cutting down the cuboards?

davew
davew

Hi Jan,
know the problem. My wife has our double D1 Aliner bed to herself and i use the dinette area. We survive .. or i should say "I survive". I am 183 cm tall but find it comfortable enough. I have considered the option of turning the bed 90 degrees but to make it worthwhile you would need pretty well the entire length from the door opening back. This would require moving the sink and stove / fridge cabinet and it's associated plumbing, electrical and side venting along to the corner. Could be issues then with the cook top closer to the ceiling. The drawer cupboard adjacent to the door would probably go to the other corner. You would lose the dinette in the process which is fine if you want to only dine outside. We enjoy using our dinette inside in the evenings so didn't take the idea any further. That is the sort of project i would undertake on an older model maybe which needed some restoration to start with.

Grey vaner
Grey vaner

Think you have two options, one is cut your legs off and the other is to buy a different style van where bed runs length ways

Gillasked

Hi I have a Nissan Dualis. Is this big enough to tow Aliner. Thanks gill

Wonnie80

The vital info you need to work out (or find out from Nissan) is the tow ball down weight of the Dualis. You can do this yourself too - Google how to ..... lots of info on this topic and it is important. Towing capacity is not the same as towball downweight.

Ok thanks

Wonnie80

Just found some more info in answer to someone else on this topic back in 2016: see below:

"I own a Hyundai I30 diesel automatic. The Aliner and Cruiser (not Cruideliner) are both below the maximum ball weight of our vehicle (75kg) BUT remember that adding weight into the van, especially in front of the axle, adds weight to the towball and could exceed the rating. If you have an accident and your towball weight has been exceeded (or the GTM or ATM has been exceeded) you can kiss your insurance good bye. If you buy one (and I'll be buying one as soon as my electric brakes are fitted), I strongly suggest you document all add-ons and weigh your tow hitch before your first drive. If it's fully documented, I would assume your insurance company would accept the information, should an accident occur.

Mark S replied on Sep 30, 2016
Mark S
Addendum. I have installed the electric brake controller and bought a 2002 Aliner 1D. I measured the ball weight and came up with 68kg with the two moderate size gas bottles on the draw bar and the van empty. I STRONGLY suggest you build a simple tow ball scales by using a bathroom scales since no commercial towball scales works below 100kg. If you document the towball weight AND all the additions to the van (like clothing, food, cutlery) then you'll be fine if you have an accident, but you must document all this in advance. Cheers Mark.

Mark S replied on Oct 25, 2016

Gregasked

Aliner 1

How does the solar panel work?

Wonnie80

It trickle charges the battery and allows use of internal lights and 12V small TV fo r limited time (an hour or two) At all other times when not on the road ie, at home; it is best to be kept on mains power 24/7, particularly if under cover out sunlight.

Greg

Thanks. So no need to flick a switch ? It just works by itself ?

Frank LEMSasked

Aliner 1

I have just bought a 2001 Aliner and have being told by two owners that they don't have a brake controller for there
brakes. how do they work.

Wonnie80

Don't think you really need the brake controller and you would probably only use it on a long steep descent; We had it fitted to our car when we purchased our first Avan new in 1998 - probaby only used it a handful of times over the years. We are on now on our second Avan and have just carried it over to the current towing vehicle.

Preach7

I put one on our van as a precaution but the Avan is pretty light and tows ok. Controllers only needed is if you go over 750 kg Kel

Frank LEMS

Thanks for the answers but I cant see how the aline brakes work with out a controller. If it is wired into the stop light plug.wouldnt it lock up the brakes.

Mandyasked

Hi there
We have an A'liner 2002 model. I want to replace the mattress, however A'van don't sell replacement mattresses. Can you please tell me what size mattress I need (dimensions)? I'm sure whether or not the one we have is original
Many thanks

Wonnie80

Sorry, we have gone over to singles and they are just the standard foam because it is much lighter to move around when you are making the bed/s.

Preach7

Hi Mandy We have 2003 Aliner that has a double bed in it. the size I would go with is 6 ft x 4 ft mattress, its a bit smaller so you can tuck blankets in around the edge of the mattress, other wise the mattress is too tight around the walls to get the blankets tucked in. We still use the mattress that came with the van as they where those that folded up into a lounge and put a eggshell foam mattress on top of them. We modified the bed so that it was all one piece and the bed was set up all the time. the bed base has gas struts on it to make it easier to life for storage underneath. , Hope this helps, Kel

mitch

mitchasked

Aliner 1

Hi have purchased a avan aliner and wondering if hard to locate and remove battey??

Preach7

The Battery is under the bed on the driver side of the van. Depending on how your bed is structured, that is does it fold up into a lounge set up or is it a proper double bed. Either way the battery is not difficult to get to but is awkward to lift out of its position. We modified our double bed and put struts on it so that we have better access to the storage area under the bed. It does make getting the battery out a lot easier. Kel

Mitch
Mitch

Thank you will give it a try. Unless anyone has any ideas how to keep battery charged while in storage yard ??

Preach7

Hi Mitch, it may be possible to use a small 50w solar panel to keep the battery charged in storage. We have a 120w on the shed roof as power is to far away to run a power cable to it. Kel

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives