A'van Aliner 1D

32 questions from our users

Eddie G.
Eddie G.asked
Aliner 1D

Does the standard model have hot water?

Tric J
Tric Jasked
Aliner 1D

I have had light truck tyres fitted to my avan which are scrubbing due to lack of clearance. A service provider has now said the bushes in the axle (al-ko) have gone. The van is 7 years old and had minimal use .. approx 9,000ks. Another service provider has said the axle appears to be in good shape. Any experience from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Colin A.
Colin A.asked
Aliner 1D

Where is the battery. We are getting a beeping noise

Maria-Raquel S.
Maria-Raquel S.asked
Aliner 1D

Hello, I have an Avant 2003 for a month and I have no idea how to recharge the battery from home and how to go from battery to electricity.

June S.
June S.asked
Aliner 1D

How do you replace the battery in the rear of an ALiner

Davo
Davo

June, Although I never replace a battery, what you need to do is simply see how your existing battery is fitted and follow the same process. Making certain that the red terminal is fitted to the positive wish has a plus stamped on the battery and the black negative terminal on the minus battery

Robert P.
Robert P.asked
Aliner 1D

Where is the outlet for sullage hose

Linda K.
Linda K.asked
Aliner 1D

We have a 2007 aliner and we cant remove the cap to fill the water tank. Any suggestions

Faye H.
Faye H.

I’m having the same problem did you solve yours

Rod P.
Rod P.asked
Aliner 1D

I have just purchased a 2003 Aliner and am wondering what the plug on the chassis near the gas cylinders is for. Could it be to run the fridge? It looks like a merrit style plug.
Thanks in advance
Rod

Gregasked
Aliner 1D

We are looking at the possibility of fitting an aftermarket air conditioner unit to our 2010 model. The van has been great for us - no issues. Tows well behind a diesel Subaru Forester. Is there a place that someone can recommend too obtain pricing ect. We are based in Sydney . Thanks . G

Mamaluchka
Mamaluchka

All I can advise is to get your electrics checked by a good electrician! I ended up in Uluru, with my system tripping out, no refrigeration working, nor airconditioning. Only when an astute park ranger disconnected the microwave, could I get the rest to work. Yet, the microwave works fine in my kitchen! Beware of dodgy installations!

Thanks for that - appreciated

Sylvi G.
Sylvi G.asked
Aliner 1D

Hi, where can I get a manual for the Avan Connector set-up?

Frank and Chaiasked
Aliner 1D

We have just ordered our Aliner 1D. What diameter sullage hose do we need? Thank you

Brenton

Hi. Any caravan dealer can provide these. They are standard size coil hoses.. maybe get the dealer to give you a quote, then get it from Bunnings. The thing you will find with Avan s the design is great butvtheir service is second rate. Also the build quality is sub standard. All our “beading came off”. Also they leave razor sharp edegs on the window plastic. Etc etc. we enjoy ours but it takes a lot to get it up to standard.

Frank and Chai

Thank you. We will do that. We are upgrading from tent but don't want to tow big vans so the Avan suits us. We saw a large gum branch fall on one recently at Marion Bay Caravan park. It slid down the roof and caused no damage. The manager said if it had been a flat roof van there would have been major damage. We are excited awaiting the arrival of the Aliner in a few months

Brenton
We may call on your help to iron out bugs :)

Brentonasked
Aliner 1D

Hi. Does anyone know where I can get the rubber seals for the rear window, without buying them from Avan... Thanks

Try Clarke Rubber

ptw663
ptw663asked
Aliner 1D

Has anyone retrofitted roof racks to an ALiner - obviously they'd need to be very tall to sit above the domed windows. Are there off-the shelf options? or only custom made (if at all). Thanks

davew

Fitting racks is do-able. I have never seen any, and Avan do not make (or recommend) them.
The important thing to realise with any fixture on an Avan is that there is NO significant structural strength to the Avan paneling. it is only light gauge aluminium sheet over 3mm plywood filled with 25mm thick polystyrene foam. The inside is vinyl wrap over the plywood.
However; the aluminium extrusion around the roof perimeter is quite strong, and well designed and constructed mounting points fixed to that can work. Like all roof racks though it comes down to what you want to carry on it? you need to consider not only static loading but also wind loading and dynamic loads created (when braking especially.) I am horrified when i see the stuff people attach to their vehicle racks. The other limiting issue is your allowable payload of 300 kg. With normal camping accessories, a full water tank, gas, food and clothing/bedding etc I only have around 40 - 50kg to play with. That's not including a microwave or loaded porta-potti. A couple of plastic sit on top kayaks for example are going to weigh around 20 to 25 kg each - plus the weight of the rack.
I have fitted 2 mounting points in the top 25 mm of the aluminium edge extrusion on my Aliner which I fix my roll out Awning to. The 2.5 x 2m awning weighs around 17kg and I have had no issues. I fabricated a 3mm thick steel mount with an M8 mounting nut which is pop rivetted to the extrusion with 2 x 4.8mm rivets. I have 2 mounts for the rear - 1 in the front roof for travelling, and the other in the rear roof for when the roof is up and we roll out the awning horizontally.

thomas t.
thomas t.

Hi, Dave if you get a chance would mind sending/ posting a picture of your awning set up, it sounds excellent and I would love to do a copy :) thanks in advance ;)

Pebbleasked
Aliner 1D

We have a 2005 Cruiser. A back dome wind-out window is leaking. We haven’t been able to establish where the leak originates. The bottom of the inside window trim fills with water and leaks out of the bottom of the inside trim. We are thinking we might have to take the inside trim off to see where it is coming in. Any experience of this issue?

davew

Hi Pebble. Have not had this issue. We have a similar window in our Aliner. Obviously the leak is on the outside somewhere so I would be doing a thorough search around the external window frame checking the sealing where it joins the roof before pulling inside trim off. I would also check the sealing around the rear roof edge as it is possible (probably unlikely but my window is pretty close to the back edge) water could be working across the panel from the outside edge. Does it leak all the time? After being in storage outside, only when up, after being in transit. Is it clear or dis-coloured? Any internal staining of the inside ceiling around the window?. Have you tried using a slow running hose on the outside with someone looking inside? All the best with that - Dave

Pebble

Thanks Dave. We haven't been able to do a thorough investigation just yet but will do more when we are home next week. Seems to be only when up and is clear. No internal staining. Put some extra tape over the outside seal when it dried out. Weather is fine just now. Will see how it goes next lot of rain.

actionplayer
actionplayer

Hi Pebble, Have had this issue plenty of times what it is, is the paint on the bottom of the dome was never grounded of before it was fitted. So the glue is still stuck to the roof but the paint on the bottom of the dome is still stuck to the glue but has let go from the bottom of the dome. If you lift up the dome a much as you can were it has let go and put a knife in there and start cutting by the time you get about half way around the dome it will lift up enough for you to be able to pull it off. Then if you grind the paint of the bottom of the dome base back to bare metal and grind the glue of the roof and the 1" wide silastic bead off. Reglue the dome down and mask up around it and do a silastic bead around the dome it will be fixed. I know I make it sound easy probably because I have done it a couple 100 times. If you need any help just give me a call 0431127966. Regards brett.

Adam C
Adam Casked
Aliner 1D

Anyone have a good solution for hot water and outdoor shower with a 2001 Aliner?

And anyone tried to heat one off grid, perhaps with a frontier stove?

Paul H

A friend of mine made a shower using a new unused (!) 5 litre pressure garden sprayer. No lifting. I'm going to give that a go.

SurfNfish
SurfNfishasked

Hi,
I have a 1D 2001 model, and was wondering if anyone knew the floor dimensions? widths and lengths from bed to back wall under table and width of doorway and between cupboard and fridge?
Dan

Martin H
Martin H

Can’t you measure the dimensions yourself if you actually have the aliner in your possession?

Phil W
Phil Wasked
Aliner 1D

I have a 2002 aliner and the interior lights aren't working, I have power for the microwave and other power points but the lights aren't working. I have checked the fuses located near the battery and they are fine, but I have noticed the battery charger is not charging, is this related to the solar panel? Is there another fuse somewhere I need to check?

davew

Hi Phil. I think you will find your interior lights operate off the 12 volt battery. Check your battery and charger. Dead battery means no lights. All the best with that - Dave

Jodie M
Jodie Masked
Aliner 1D

Why do I have power but no interior lights in my Avan?

davew

Have you removed the covers and checked the bulbs Jodie? in my 2010 model interior lights are all 12V. Do you have a 12 volt auxillary battery installed? If so is it charged? If all the above are positive then you could have a broken / disconnected wiring issue and may need a visit to an auto electrician.
All the best with that. Dave

john
john

Just an idea for you all I had put a ledge along the sink window and placed a strip LED light so they would shine to the ceiling not in your eyes and the ledge is the length of the window and 4" wide out from the wall so it does not have any impact when closing the walls down and replaced in them all with led lights they have old type bulbs that drain the battery quickly .

Alyson honey
Alyson honeyasked
Aliner 1D

I have a 2015 Aliner and am having troubles with my electrics. The meter that reads battery voltage was reading 10.2V and was beeping. The van was connected to 240V and the only way to stop the alarm was to disconnect the battery. I reconnected the battery so I could run the external shower only to find there is hardly any charge to run the water pump. Do I need a new battery?

davew

Hi Alyson. For some reason your battery is either not getting or not holding charge, or is being drained by something left on eg: light. Check to make sure your 240V battery charger (Check your handbook for location if you have one - under the bed near the hot water tank in my 2010 1D) is switched on. At least once my 2010 charger switch has been bumped off by the power lead when pushing it back into the lead space area. If it is on and the battery has had ample opportunity to re-charge...ie; you have had it connected to 240V on a regular (at least once every couple of months basis) then I would say it is past it's use by date. They don't last forever. If you have a battery reseller nearby you can usually get them to do a free test and tell you how healthy your battery is, but give it a chance to charge fully before doing that.
Cheers - Dave

starasked
Aliner 1D

The ceiling inside and has had slight water damage I believe as the white plastic wallpaper contact stuff has bubbled and looks unsightly. Any suggestions as to how I can make it look better. Will sticky contact paper work and stay in place in aussie weather. Anyone had to replace this before? Thanks

Hi Star.
Difficult to answer without seeing. What age / model is your Avan? Has the original glue failed ... and if so can you peel the vinyl off easily? if it is plywood underneath you may be able to recover it but I think it may be hard to make it look good unless you re-sheet. I would try and get advice from a caravan supplies if you have one locally or try Bunnings special orders desk. There is a flexible textured white vinyl product commonly used by many in the trade and also a variety of thin 2.5 to 3mm coated plywood products. You could glue it to the existing surface with a contact cement but would have to cut it out accurately around windows, vents etc. Light fittings could probably be unscrewed and re fixed after sheeting.
All the best with that. Dave

star

Thanks for your answer Dave . I appreciate it. I will try upload a cpl pics or email them if that's okay. It's a 2001. Yes it is a vinyl type white lining that is on ceilings and A frame walls. I will look into you suggestions . Thankyou

Kath B.
Kath B.

Hi Star was wondering how you went with your ceiling as I have similar problems with mine. Thanks

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives

A'van Aliner 1D