A'van Aliner 2B

A'van Aliner 2B

5.0 from 1 review

1 review

The only way to explore Australia

We bought our Avan Aliner after taking a year to research what fitted us. We started thinking about a Toyota Hiace and this grew to a Daf 4 tonne truck but luckily we narrowed it down to between an Avan Aliner and a Jayco Swan the Avan won. It has no wet canvas to repack or to blow in the breeze and the Avan is fully insulated and can be put up by my wife in 3 minutes. After 16 years and over 100000K and having slept in it for over a year we still love going away in it.

Kim K.

Kim K.asked

Aliner 2B

Auto electrician is wiring a 7 pin flat plug, and a Grey Anderson plug for the Fridge, to my car, for towing my Avan Crusier Camper.

Question 1: Is the No. 2 terminal on the 7 pin used and if so what for?

Question 2. Grey Anderson/Fridge - Does the van have a charging device, and do we need a stop/cut off control on the car?

Ray C

Ray Casked

Aliner 2B

While I understand the Aliner 2b has capacity for a double bed, can the dining table area be converted to to a single bed ?

billasked

Aliner 2B

can the built in fridge be run on 12 volt while travelling using power through the flat 7 prong plug and roof solar panel, or does it require a separate connection to the car?
    what are the red and grey plugs on the van for?

davew
    davew

Hi Bill. While you could use the accessory pin in your flat 7 pin trailer plug, because of the length of wiring required and voltage drop, most vanners now get the much heavier separate cable wired into their vehicle with an isolator so it cuts off when you turn off your vehicle ignition. This cable is typically joined at the coupling using a flat grey Anderson style plug which has heavy contact tabs. Older Avans (eg my 2010 Aliner ), had relatively light cable from a Merit (cig lighter style) plug in the front chassis frame directly to the fridge via underfloor cabling. I replaced mine with the heavy cable and Anderson connector to the trailer coupling so I am running heavy cable all the way to my fridge. It is important to understand that this will only maintain your fridge's existing temp on the 12V setting while on the road and will not appreciably cool a warm fridge.
    I would suggest you remove the outside plastic grille vent/ inspection panel at the bottom of your fridge and check the input cable. Mine connects to a screw terminal block on the bottom left hand side of the fridge. Despite the original factory cable being installed, mine was not connected to this terminal block at all! (Friday afternoon at the factory job!) It was only after removing this panel and checking that i realized why mine wasn't working on 12 Volt.
    While using a suitable output solar panel through a controller would also work, it will be open to the vagaries of light conditions, but does give you the advantage of power whilst your vehicle is stopped. You could parallel wire to the same input terminal.
    All the best with that mate.

bill

Thanks for your comprehensive answer.
    Cheers Bill

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives