A'van Aliner 2B

10 questions from our users

Kim K.

Kim K.asked

Aliner 2B

Auto electrician is wiring a 7 pin flat plug, and a Grey Anderson plug for the Fridge, to my car, for towing my Avan Crusier Camper.

Question 1: Is the No. 2 terminal on the 7 pin used and if so what for?

Question 2. Grey Anderson/Fridge - Does the van have a charging device, and do we need a stop/cut off control on the car?

Ray C

Ray Casked

Aliner 2B

While I understand the Aliner 2b has capacity for a double bed, can the dining table area be converted to to a single bed ?

billasked

Aliner 2B

can the built in fridge be run on 12 volt while travelling using power through the flat 7 prong plug and roof solar panel, or does it require a separate connection to the car?
what are the red and grey plugs on the van for?

davew

Hi Bill. While you could use the accessory pin in your flat 7 pin trailer plug, because of the length of wiring required and voltage drop, most vanners now get the much heavier separate cable wired into their vehicle with an isolator so it cuts off when you turn off your vehicle ignition. This cable is typically joined at the coupling using a flat grey Anderson style plug which has heavy contact tabs. Older Avans (eg my 2010 Aliner ), had relatively light cable from a Merit (cig lighter style) plug in the front chassis frame directly to the fridge via underfloor cabling. I replaced mine with the heavy cable and Anderson connector to the trailer coupling so I am running heavy cable all the way to my fridge. It is important to understand that this will only maintain your fridge's existing temp on the 12V setting while on the road and will not appreciably cool a warm fridge.
I would suggest you remove the outside plastic grille vent/ inspection panel at the bottom of your fridge and check the input cable. Mine connects to a screw terminal block on the bottom left hand side of the fridge. Despite the original factory cable being installed, mine was not connected to this terminal block at all! (Friday afternoon at the factory job!) It was only after removing this panel and checking that i realized why mine wasn't working on 12 Volt.
While using a suitable output solar panel through a controller would also work, it will be open to the vagaries of light conditions, but does give you the advantage of power whilst your vehicle is stopped. You could parallel wire to the same input terminal.
All the best with that mate.

bill

Thanks for your comprehensive answer.
Cheers Bill

Iphar Talot

Iphar Talotasked

Aliner 2B

Does the AVan Aliner come with Over Riding brakes?

davew

As in electric trailer brakes? Yes. They have a simple drum brake with electric control set-up so you must have your tow vehicle fitted with an electronic brake controller which is mounted within reach of the driver and enables you to adjust the severity of braking on your Avan.

Mannum_guy
Mannum_guy

The early ones did have over-ride brakes but davew is certainly correct on most Avans made this century anyway.

star

starasked

Aliner 2B

Hi all. Just wondering if I can use a product to reverse the fogginess of my aging dome skylights. They are also finely crazed and just look bit shabby. The large fixed domes at front are cracking around the edges and previous owners had put silicon on them which I have removed for updated repairs. Do you know what type of plastic these are made of? Thankyou

Hi Star.
I am pretty sure they are acrylic (Perspex). There may be a rejuvention product available from auto shops which will help restore their appearance a bit, (often promoted to rejuvenate the appearance of headlights). Most of these change the visual appearance but of course do not eliminate the fine cracks. You may find a local plastic fabricator who has some better advice, but ultimately all plastics degrade.
Ultimately I would look at replacing them. The spares are pretty exy but i notice the small vent covers are a little more affordable here - http://www.avanspareparts.com.au/specials-and-promotions/display/130-vent-lid-only
Cheers - Dave

Papan

Papanasked

Aliner 2B

What is the GTM so that I can but small vehicle that will tow it comfortably?

davew

hi Papan. The standard Aliner has a tare of approximately 800kg and has a tow ball mass of approx 65kg. You can add up to 300kg to give a max ATM of 1100kg. If you have yet to purchase a tow vehicle I would suggest bigger the better, and seriously consider a diesel for pulling power and economy. While modern regs allow otherwise, I am a great believer in having a tow vehicle which is significantly heavier than your trailer. All the best with that - Dave

Liz

Lizasked

Aliner 2B

Which is the position in when the circuit breaker is on in Avan Airliner Campervan?

Preach7
Preach7

Your circuit breaker should have a test button on it to test if the breaker works Ok or not. That will give you the position for the switch when turned on. The on position is usually up.

Justin

Justinasked

Aliner 2B

Can I Pull an Avan behind a VW Golf Wagon, Petrol driven 1.4 Lt Turbo & Super charged?

Richard
Richard

I'm sure you could ,but l would not .You would never get into top gear ,the weight on the rear of such a small car would eventually wreck it ,10% of the vans weight has to be on the tow ball.No for many reasons which you will find in your handbook .Buy a bigger car of a very light camper trailer

Trotters03asked

Aliner 2B

Does anyone know where I can buy a "mini awning" for my AVan Aliner? The factory fitted one is rather cumbersome to erect and I have noticed other AVanners on sites have a far easier solution with these which seem far more practical when putting up.

Use original and practice

Thanks Bob

dougasked

Aliner 2B

What size battery do I need? Avan mostly used on powered sites.

You'll want a battery 12 volt that holds a charge nicely thanks. And you'll want to keep its water level up.

Marty
Marty

Hi Doug,
I have a 120 Ah battery with a 75 w solar panel fixed on roof, this charges battery while driving or remote camping, of which we do lot off & is adequate for lights, radio, water pump for sink & outdoor shower. If you intend to do mostly caravan parks, then you may drop to a smaller unit, of course this depends on what equipment you have on board.
Hope this is of some help.
Happy & safe camping,
R'gds Marty

doug

Thanks Marty, Thanks for your reply. It answered my question. I will probably look at something around the 55 ah re mainly using powered powered sites.
Thanks Doug

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives

A'van Aliner 2B