A'van Aliner

A'van Aliner Questions & Answers (page 4 of 12)

1D, 3, 1, etc...
Listing monitored by A'van

233 questions from our users

Lyndeelu
Lyndeeluasked
Aliner

I have just bought a 2004 Aliner 4B, won't be collecting it til my towbar is fitted. I understand that the current owner runs the fridge while travelling through 7th pin on trailer plug.
The owner is adamant that the Aliner battery is not charged from the car whilst driving (230v or solar), but that the fridge is the only thing which receives the 12v power - either through the 7th pin or anderson plug. So is the 7th pin power sufficient - or do I need an Anderson plug installed. ?

gayehenderson
gayehendersonasked
Aliner

HELP. Where are the fuses for the Electrolux Fridge? We have a 1997 LINER AVAN and the fridge has stopped working. Can anyone tell us where the fuse is and what it looks like please. ta

Margaret H.
Margaret H.asked
Aliner

Can you mount a roof air on on an Aliner

Kay
Kayasked

Hi

Perhaps the A liner has a similar suspension set up to our Gabrielle Mk

Can anyone please confirm if the bottom of shock absorber is supposed to be higher or lower than the bottom of the U bolts - needed to get a new axle as a result of a bearing failure - had new shocks, springs and electric brakes fitted.

The shock absorber bracket is installed so that the bottom of the shock is below the bottom of the U bolts - looks a bit too low!

Thanks, if someone could look under their van to check that would be great.

Ron

Teddy1
Teddy1asked
Aliner

I am looking at buying an A'van Aliner or cruiseliner on a budget planned to be up to $12,000.00. This would give me anything from a 2000 up to about 2005. My son says I should investigate suspension, brakes etc to see if I would be better to spend another $5,000.00 to get something more modern. Can anyone comment on any aspect of 2000 onwards A'vans in regard to improvements ank you
in newer vans or deficiencies in older ones.
Clare

Allan B
Allan B

The A’van Cruiseliner 2008 on has larger tyres, hence more ground clearance and more storage.

Sophieasked
Aliner

Hi I recently purchased a 2008 Avan Cruiseliner and was wondering if anyone can tell me does the hotwater unit only work when you have access to 240 volt power. I can't find details in the manual that the previous owner supplied. Many thanks, Sophie

davew

Yep. The HWS is 240 Volt only. You also need to make sure it is switched on (under double bed or seat). In our 2010 we have accidentally switched it off when pushing the power lead back into the storage area. Also make sure you have water in your tank or mains pressure water connected and pipes full of water (primed - run the tap until water flows.) before powering it up. Cheers Dave

davew

Sophie, I am assuming your Cruiseliner is not fitted with the less common but in some cases optional gas HWS.

Sophie

Thanks so much. I think it appears to be original to the van so am guessing it's stock standard.

Rod P.
Rod P.asked
Aliner 1D

I have just purchased a 2003 Aliner and am wondering what the plug on the chassis near the gas cylinders is for. Could it be to run the fridge? It looks like a merrit style plug.
Thanks in advance
Rod

Bob H.asked
Aliner

Is the foam insulation connected to the side walls or the roof sections or both. This is the insulation between the roof and the side walls. I have trouble closing the wall far enough to operate the barrel bolts which secure the side walls to the rear roof section. The large leavers securing the front roof to the side walls are no problem.

Thanks,

Bob H

davew

Hi Bob. My 2010 Aliner has the same problem. A cheap arrangement unfortunately. A cam lock which engages and pulls the side tight would have been better. Sorry i cannot help you with this one. You don't really want to remove foam weather strip either. They are really only auxiliary catches and there are times when we don't bother with them, although they certainly make the structure more secure in strong winds.

Bob H.

Thanks Dave. Where is your insulation attached.

Mark J.
Mark J.asked
Aliner

Anyone got any good ideas of how to remove the battery from an AVAN Cruiseliner (1D layout)? The battery is right at the rear of the camper under the bed.

davew

Hi Mark. The impossible positioning of the auxiliary battery in Avan Aliner and Cruiseliners is typical of the numerous bad design and construction flaws which represents their disappointing don't care attitude, despite years of owners complaining and making better alternative suggestions.
This may not help you in the short term but i removed the mattress and cut an access flap in the plywood base above the battery big enough to lift it vertically out. If you are careful you can do it with the battery in position. Hope this helps.

rustyrustyasked
Aliner

Hi Looking to buy our first A Van there is a cheep Aliner 1995 but seems to have a small fridge maybe 60l and no microwave is it possible to fit a 90l fridge and modify the cupboard for a small microwave. We are talking half the price for a 1995 compared to 2003
My question also is is the height of the van the same as 2003 models or has it changed when they started to put in bigger fridges the van we are looking at is a couple of hours away so cant go see it easy. Thanks..

davew

Anything is possible RR. You could probably insert a bigger fridge and the microwave is a no brainer. They factory install the mw in the cupboard under the sink but they add weight and take up a lot of space (including the wasted space behind them) when you are off grid. We keep ours portable and only take it if and when we think it will get used. Unless you have a 90 litre fridge already I would put your money into a good car fridge to complement the standard one. That way you stay flexible and you don't lose valuable dining/sleeping space inside (assuming it would be wider). Cheers Dave

rustyrusty

Thanks Dave The second portable fridge in the car sounds like a good Idea and I see your point with the microwave Thanks again,

Daveasked
Aliner

New owner of a used Aline 1D model. I have been looking at the 'load' advice on many forums and am now confused! My hitch ball load is around 85Kgs unloaded so am I OK to put weight behind the axle in the centre bay. Witha 60L water storage (60Kgs) on 'drivers side' do I need to balance this out with weight on the 'passenger side' of the van, as this would I have peripheral weight which all the experts say will cause 'sway' when towing? Can anyone please suggest a good storage plan for towing. Thanks. DaveR WA

davew

Hi Dave. Some good common sense helps here. One of the best things about the standard Aliner is it's natural low centre of gravity. They normally tow very well and sway is not a problem unless you do something really silly. There are load inventories out there but you really need to weigh the stuff you wish to take in your van. You will be surprised how quickly you can reach the 1100kg limit (300 kg of extra stuff)
I was always taught to place as much stuff as is practical and safe in your tow vehicle. That way if you experience an emergency the control vehicle has the mass of the momentum rather than the attachment. Hope that makes sense.
So for example, if you have outside furniture, BBQ, heavy tool box, extra water, groceries and heavier objects etc try and carry them in your vehicle boot. I actually carry a tool box behind and under the drivers seat.
Also, don't take stuff you will not use. Eg: microwave and TV (if standalone) and electrical appliances if you are free camping. A full water tank if you know you have mains water supply. Every % weight saved also helps fuel economy.
The water tank in the Aliner is positioned fairly centrally, but battery, HWS, fridge etc are on the same side, so you can balance things a bit using the left side storage compartments.
Hope this helps!

Dave

Many thanks 'Davew' for the great answer! I understand the ' load the towing vehicle' concept and it makes a lot of sense, thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and the speed of your reply!

Michael K.asked
Aliner

2001 ALINER all my power points work , but my light won't work 12volt an240volt ?

davew

Hi Michael. I take it you mean the interior lights and maybe the outside door light. They are all 12 volt and rely on your on-board 12v battery being charged and connected. You either have a dead 12v battery, dead bulbs, faulty switches or wiring issue. Your on-board battery charger should charge your onboard battery when connected to the mains 240V power. Check and make sure it is plugged in and on also. If you do not have and are not handy with a multimeter, it is a job for an auto electrician.

It doesn't work on 240 volts either but all power points working

Michael K.asked
Aliner

2001 Aliner all my power points work ,but my lights don't work 12volt an 240volt ?

Gregasked
Aliner 1D

We are looking at the possibility of fitting an aftermarket air conditioner unit to our 2010 model. The van has been great for us - no issues. Tows well behind a diesel Subaru Forester. Is there a place that someone can recommend too obtain pricing ect. We are based in Sydney . Thanks . G

Mamaluchka

All I can advise is to get your electrics checked by a good electrician! I ended up in Uluru, with my system tripping out, no refrigeration working, nor airconditioning. Only when an astute park ranger disconnected the microwave, could I get the rest to work. Yet, the microwave works fine in my kitchen! Beware of dodgy installations!

Thanks for that - appreciated

Rikaasked
Aliner 4A

Do I need a 4wd to tow a Sportliner?

davew

Hi Rika. The only advantage of towing with a 4WD is the same as normal driving with a 4WD. If you end up in slippery muddy, sandy, icy conditions it is handy. Otherwise no need. Many modern 4wd and awd vehicles only engage the extra 2 wheels when they detect slip anyway so no difference in normal conditions. The standard Sportliner like most Avan's is not built for rough off-road conditions either. Hope this helps.

Rika

Hi Dave. Thank you for your response. I have a Corolla sedan. Would that be sufficient?

Rita I was in the same position, had a corolla and wanted a sportliner. My mechanic advised he would tow no more than a 6 x 4 Trailer locally with a Corolla. I bought a bigger car and my Sportliner.

Rob Lasked
Aliner

Can I plug the power cord into a 240v PowerPoint, or do I need a converter? Btw, I have just bought a Aliner 2016 - should I plug it in while I’m at home to keep the battery charged up? Or just occasionally?

Mamaluchka

Best to keep it plugged in if you have access to a powerpoint, especially if not using it very often. Do you have solar panels? Then you need to ensure good exposure to sunlight. Cheers. Pia

Thanks for answering Pia,

davew

Standard 240Volt plug on a 2016 Avan lead should be a 15 amp plug with the wider bottom earth pin. While it is technically illegal (and physically impossible) to plug it into a standard 10 amp home GPO, if you are not drawing excessive current it will be fine.
Some people make up a short lead with a 10 amp plug on one end and 15 amp socket on the other, so they can plug into a standard outlet.... unless of course you have a 15 amp GPO at home.
No need to keep your van battery on constant charge as all you are doing is wasting power and wearing out your cheap on-board battery charger, but worth plugging in for a couple of days each month. You do not want it to lose too much charge. It is worth making sure your fridge and hot water service are turned off when you do plug in so you are not wasting power.
If you have a solar panel which charges your on board battery then you shouldn't have to worry about plugging into 240v but of course it will need to be uncovered for at least a couple of sunny days a month.
Hope this helps,

neil
neilasked
Aliner

My 2006 Aliner Sport is leaking where the two top roof halves come together. What company sells this specific seal? Neil

Mamaluchka

I have had this issue as well but it fixed itself when I adjusted (loosened) the tension of the ropes, so the two sides came together closer. I also had a roof lifter installed which needed to be kept very loose when the roof was raised. You get the seal (if that is the problem,) from any caravan store or a camping store. I hope this helps.

Carolyne
Carolyne

I'm looking at an Avan but need to know where you got your roof lifter Mamzluchka. What type is it & at what cost??

Denyse
Denyse

Mamzluchka I would be interested to hear about your roof lifter type and cost

Jacki Skinner
Jacki Skinnerasked
Aliner

My electric overhead bed in my avan is stuck halfway and won’t move

Max B
Max Basked
Aliner 3C

I want to remove my 3way fridge.Is it correct it has to be taken out the drivers side window.

aquatrek
aquatrek

mine went out the door

Leagleasked
Aliner

Hi, I have just bought a second hand 2010 Cruiser but found it very difficult to put roof up (after I had bought it stupidly). would it be worth considering replacing the roof springs ? LeeE

Mamaluchka

You could consider replacing the "straps" for lack of a better word, that pull the roof up. Or you could get a roof lifter installed, which I did so that all you have to do is wind up the roof lifter, instead of breaking your back with an older van. Hope this helps. Pia H

actionplayer
actionplayer

Hi, you do realise that you have to spray inox on the under the front roof were the back roof runs under it every 6 months, that has been a standard requirement on any avan camper since they started building them. The bungee straps have got nothing to do with the lifting of the van if they weren't there then when you lift up the back roof and it gets to the top it just come straight out. regards brett.

Leagle

Thank you Pia H. What type of lifter did you get ? I have investigated air bags but very expensive. I have also been quoted for having the springs replaced. Brett, when I bought the van the inside strips were replaced because it was getting stuck and I am assuming the AVAN dealer would have sprayed Inox but I need to check. The dealer has not mentioned Inox. Thank you for that advice. Lee

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives

A'van Aliner