A'van Cruiser & Cruiseliner

1, 1D, 5, etc...

92 questions from our users

Gaynor.travel

Gaynor.travelasked

Hi, we bought our cruiseliner second hand and have three pieces of protective sponge, 1 for top of cabinet and 1 between folded side, where does the other piece go?

Waiting Long

One on top of the glass pane above the stove; one above the sink; one on the bench at door entrance.
Cheers

GlennR

I put one on top of the vanity style cabinet and under the RHS siding; another on top of RHS siding to separate it from the LHS siding; and the third on topic the LHS siding near it’s top apex before lowering the roof; all to prevent damage when travelling.

travel safely

actionplayer

I love looking at the answers to this question, everyone gets it wrong on were to put the 3 square pieces foam they get the 1 on the bench top right but the other 2 wrong. as I have repaired more avans than anyone in Australia I have good laugh at a lot of the questions that get asked on this site. Its like mr waiting long air conditioner problem I could fix that in about an hour and you wouldn't have to waste your time putting anything on this site complaining about it. I have been doing this for 27 years now most people in Australia who own an avan know who I am and were to find me on the gold coast.

Glennasked

Water comes in under the apex of the roof especially if wind blows from the back of van or you hose the roof upwards from the back is that normal that water comes in underneath

Waiting Long

Glenn, I gather it is no longer under Warranty?
It's just I have seen other posts with this issue.
Best of luck.

Glenn

Thanks no van still under warranty. Been told that’s normal . Don’t know enough to prove other wise. In there defence it was severe wind blowing and garden hose has a fair stream. So not sure

Waiting Long

If the van is still under Warranty pursue it with A-van and the retailer. You have a legitimate case but will have to be very persistent and insistent

CJ N.

CJ N.asked

Hi there. We are in the market for a second hand Avan. What are some things we should look out for?
Also, of it doesn't have solar on it, how easy is it to have solar fitted of we get it?

Hi CJN,
There are so many issues to be aware of so do be careful. I suggest many of the issues are covered in these reviews below. Just be aware that some positive reviews can come from the manufacturer; retailer etc. There could be many other review sites but this will be sufficient to show up the pitfalls.

1/ https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/a-van-australia
ttps://www.productreview.com.au/listings/a-van-aliner

and probably more....

Best Wishes
'Waiting Long'

Janetasked

I have just bought a 2004 Cruiser and I cant get the walls to secure into position with the barrel bolts and the handle lever on the front sections of the walls don't want to line up with the plates on the roof to latch into. When I bought it the barrel bolts and the lever latches were all engaged but since I have had it home I cant get any of them to line up and securely engage. The only way to get the levers into the plates is to hit them with a hammer and pull them down at the same time. I could use one side barrel bolt at first but now both side bolts wont line up and I don't have strength to push the walls out against the foam weather strips to get enough room for the bolts to slip into place. I have put it onto as level a surface as possible thinking that it has to be perfectly level for the roof to line up but this hasn't made any difference.
Help and advise please

aumaxasked

I have a 2017 Cruiseliner 2B. My problem is that I have a leak when it rains. Water appears at floor level behind the AC unit. I thought I had fixed the problem as I found the driver side rear blinker light fitting full of water and assumed the problem was water getting through the cable hole and running down the inside of the rear fibreglass panel. I have now fixed this but I still have a leak. Any help appreciated......Max

Hi Max,
I'm sorry I can't throw any light on that issue.
We've had the van for 3 months but have barely used it due to ongoing challenges in trying to get A-van to accept they have sold us an air conditioned van that doesn't cool the van. Also, though the van is parked outdoors, we haven't had that much rain here.
Best of luck with that.

aumax

Thank you for your response, I have an AC unit which is under the back bed, it has a duct of 60mm tubing which goes to bed, to the galley and the front bed. It is not very good at cooling. It will drop the temperature a few degrees but seems better for heating. Hope you can get on the road soon....

Waiting Long

Thanks aumax. Another A-van installed A/C that largely doesn't work .
In a brand new A shaped A-van they are worth over $3,000 fully installed and it is a complete waste of money.
I hope people take the manufacturer and retailer to Consumer Affairs. It is an open and shut case in favour of the purchaser.

Frank R.asked

Hi I bought a cargo door 900mm x 305mm $ 130.44, when I picked it up, I was told that the two keys were extra, they didn't say anything when I told them that it showed the lock plus two keys, so I had to fork out another, $ 57.00, I'm not very happy with them, has this happened to anyone else.

Waiting Long

That just seems downright mean. It wouldn't give confidence in a company's ethics and penny pinching. I would have thought keys were an essential part of the package.

actionplayer

Hi Frank, You don't buy those access doors from an avan dealer you buy them from coast to coast rv services, I buy them from there all the time and fit plenty of them to avans and the keys come standard with them.

Frank R.

I've got a A'Van, so I went to the dealer to buy it, reading my post again, it didn't come with a lock & keys like it showed, yes I feel I've been ripped off.

Janetasked

We bought a used Avan Cruisliner, it is not so easy to put up, its a little stiff. I think it was well used by previous owner, is there anything we can do to make it glide up easier. We have only put it up once, could be our inexperience.

Hi Janet,
You kind of get used to pushing it up with a little effort. I find it difficult as it is heavy.
Some people use a broom handle or such to push it up.
Not sure I can really help with this one.
Do you have an air conditioner?

Janet

Thank you, yes I think we need to use it a bit more. Her more practice. No air con tho.

Janet

The roof can be a bit heavy but is do-able for a lanky guy like me.
Perhaps you could use a small set of steps to help you get the extra elevation.

Don't let it put you off.
It's worth all the extra effort.

You should have ithe roof and sides erected in 3 minutes flat.

Michael G.

Michael G.asked

What size air conditioning is fitted to the cruiser

Waiting Long

The A/C for A-van Cruiseliner Adventure Plus is an underbunk Finch HD9000. It has been proven to be ineffecitve in cooling the A shaped A van. It is supposed to be 2.2kw but it doesn't matter. Doesn't work for cooling. If you are buying new, then ask for a discount of over $3,000 as that would be close to the cost of purchasing this A/C, ducting and installation. Don't waste your money as A-van won't want to know about it once you've bought.

Michael G.

Michael G.asked

What size ac is fitted to the 2020 avan cruiser and is it reverse cycle

marie2mil

marie2milasked

Hi all, We have an Avan cruiseliner it has had a swarm of bees under the bed, they came in the power outlet. They have been removed by a Bee keeper however now we are cleaning out everything, the curtains are sticky and soiled, how can we best clean them?

Barry H.

Barry H.asked

Cruiseliner 1D

How do I hear water using electricity

Angelaasked

We have just purchased a 2007 avan hard roof pop top. We are unable to get the ac power to work. Does anyone have a simple suggestion on a step we may be missing? We have just bought extension cord and adaptors but no luck

Sam.L

Unfortunately no practical suggestions other than individually checking switches (on) and fuses (set). Evidently there's an derogatory term of a 'Man' look that has been applied to me from time to time :) In my unit the extension cord is hard wired so can't be tested by me. If its not the above and you've eliminated the extension cord and the power source is definitely live, sounds like it's service centre time. Hope it's a simple fix :)

Janna S.

Janna S.asked

Manual on how to use heater in avan cruiseliner

Tiger1

Tiger1asked

Cruiseliner 5

What is the best cover to buy for our cruiseliner 5 2016 please.

Gary V

Gary Vasked

What is the best way to remove the old foam seals on an A'VAN Cruiseliner before installing the new foam

john

I use wax and grease remover

Didi

Didiasked

Hi I have an AVAN Cruiseliner Adventure Pack Plus. My question is the weight and towing. I am in the process of buying a (new to me) car. Nissan Xtrail and despite having a heavy duty towbar the sticker inside the door says Automatic 1300kg towing. The numbers from AVAN vary. Should this be OK?

Jennie
Jennie

You need to read all the facts about weight before buying the new vehicle. Especially important are what weight your car can tow and what weight it can accept on the towball. You also need to know what your car weighs, then add the tow ball weight, the weight of your fuel (allow 1kg per litre), the weight of your stuff in the vehicle and the weight of your passengers and driver. All of the must not exceed the GVM, gross vehicle mass, allowed for your car. You could get the new car home and find you can't get inside it without exceeding GVM with the van attached. Ask the salesperson or do an online search. It was in my car manual.
I pull with an old Hilux, which can only tow 1800kg and 150kg on the ball. The Cruiseliner is fine and car fully loaded is well within GVM.

Sam.L

Hi Didi, Jennie is right on the money, it's mandatory to remain within the specifications (car & van). Personally if I was interested in a car I'd contact the RACV technical dept, my local mechanic if I use one, and use online forums to tease out my knowledge base. Incidentally a quick Google shows, there are some older X-Trail models (up to 2014) that only have a 1300kg towing capacity.

Bea

Beaasked

Just bought an Avan Adventure Plus Love it. Just one problem ..... the water pump??? It has an on/off switch. When switch turned on and the tap is opened the the pump is clearly audible. Turn the tap off and the pump then appears to stop however somehow the pump continues on its merry way whirring very very quietly in the background almost silently draining the battery. We only detected this when laying on the bed it could be heard purring through the pillow. Yes we did accidentally leave the switch on. But Why doesn't the pump STOP

Sam.L

Hi Bea, I'm no expert just handy :) My understanding is the pump maintains pressure in the line if it's left on. So it's normal to come of and on but if it's spending a lot of time on then I'd check to see if all the joints are holding their pressure. It might simply be tightening or resealing a joint. Just a note, don't over tighten and there should be a sleeve inside each end of the pipe line that supports the pipe at the joint. I can't comment on a water reservoir's impact as I've never had one. Incidentally we turn the pump of overnight and if we're away for the day as a power conservation measure and if there was a plumbing failure (all be it unlikely). Cheers

Terry Barrasked

Cruiseliner 2B

Does anyone have a PDF copy of the Avan Cruiseliner (2B) Owner's/User's Manual? Or do you know where I can easily download one? Thanks, Terry Barr

Sam.L

Hi Terry, we're pretty ancient with a 2004 model so it might have changed, but there was no manual with ours. All the bits and pieces (ie fridge, fabric treatment etc) had their own pamphlets or manuals but nothing from Avan.

Terry Barr

Hi Sam-thanks for getting back on my query. I’ve seen a PDF copy of an Aliner model owners manual, which does help, but I thought there would a similar manual available for the other models? I’ve found nothing so far but will keep looking.

Regards, Terry

Jim Marrinerasked

Can a power mover be fitted to a 2019 Cruiseliner?

Lou S
Lou S

Yes, we had one fitted a purpleline, fitted by avan dealer.

Thanks Lou. Jim

Alanasked

My mate rolled up with his brand new Avan Adventurer and it's really nice. However, I am puzzled about what is written on the compliance plates. The tare was 1020, the two ball mass rating was 160 kg from memory, the ATM was 1350, but the axle rating was a whopping 2000 kg. Why such a miserable 330 payload, which will not be enough when the water tanks are filled, cooking gear and food added, etc., when the suspension is clearly capable of much more?

john

Hi my answer may help i have a 2012 Avan cruiseliner 14 ft i had it weighbridge to see how heavy it's going to be for my little Hyundai diesel ix35 as the tare weight says for my van 920 on the back of the car is Ltd to 1300kg as the van came up empty around about 1220 kilos did not give me much to fill it up so I tried it with all my gear and a extra deck deep cycle battery and a tank full of water and a little bit more extra food than I normally would take it came up just a little bit over 13500 kilos i had no probem whats so ever doing thousands of kilometres so as long as you know what your car and tow bar limit is and the caravan limit you should not have a problem

Thanks John.

Most interesting,

Sam.L

Hi Alan, there has been a lot of online conversations of late around the 'baggage' allowance. There were deaths in Qld and a driver charged earlier this year. There also seems to be an increasing Police/Road Authority interest in the overloading area. IMHO for a long time allowances have been inadequate and probably unethical. Particularly unethical in the cases where vans/trailers are optioned up without the purchaser being aware that the options are coming out of the ATM, not being added on to the AGM total (our first van situation). With a single axle van marketed as suitable to bush camp, it would seem reasonable for an extra water tank, extra battery and solar to be optioned. But with that tank full there's half of the vans available load without the innerspring mattress, bedding, full gas bottles, water in the other tank etc. Unfortunately, while a van/trailer might operate satisfactorily beyond the 'legal' weight, there is the risk of being fined and an insurance claims being refused. Also and most importantly, it doesn't take into account the (unlikely but potential) injury or death of others due to the overloading. Personally, we wrestle with our ATM 'total' and travel with as much as possible in the car as well as an empty water tank until we're close to the camp site or fill up with J.Cans after we've arrived. That's only 60 odd ks but with the extras in the car it keeps us legal. I shudder to think of how people go with some of the big ball weights.

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives