A'van Cruiser & Cruiseliner

78 questions from our users

Gary V

Gary Vasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

What is the best way to remove the old foam seals on an A'VAN Cruiseliner before installing the new foam

john

I use wax and grease remover

Didi

Didiasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

Hi I have an AVAN Cruiseliner Adventure Pack Plus. My question is the weight and towing. I am in the process of buying a (new to me) car. Nissan Xtrail and despite having a heavy duty towbar the sticker inside the door says Automatic 1300kg towing. The numbers from AVAN vary. Should this be OK?

Jennie
Jennie

You need to read all the facts about weight before buying the new vehicle. Especially important are what weight your car can tow and what weight it can accept on the towball. You also need to know what your car weighs, then add the tow ball weight, the weight of your fuel (allow 1kg per litre), the weight of your stuff in the vehicle and the weight of your passengers and driver. All of the must not exceed the GVM, gross vehicle mass, allowed for your car. You could get the new car home and find you can't get inside it without exceeding GVM with the van attached. Ask the salesperson or do an online search. It was in my car manual.
I pull with an old Hilux, which can only tow 1800kg and 150kg on the ball. The Cruiseliner is fine and car fully loaded is well within GVM.

Sam.L

Hi Didi, Jennie is right on the money, it's mandatory to remain within the specifications (car & van). Personally if I was interested in a car I'd contact the RACV technical dept, my local mechanic if I use one, and use online forums to tease out my knowledge base. Incidentally a quick Google shows, there are some older X-Trail models (up to 2014) that only have a 1300kg towing capacity.

Bea

Beaasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

Just bought an Avan Adventure Plus Love it. Just one problem ..... the water pump??? It has an on/off switch. When switch turned on and the tap is opened the the pump is clearly audible. Turn the tap off and the pump then appears to stop however somehow the pump continues on its merry way whirring very very quietly in the background almost silently draining the battery. We only detected this when laying on the bed it could be heard purring through the pillow. Yes we did accidentally leave the switch on. But Why doesn't the pump STOP

Sam.L

Hi Bea, I'm no expert just handy :) My understanding is the pump maintains pressure in the line if it's left on. So it's normal to come of and on but if it's spending a lot of time on then I'd check to see if all the joints are holding their pressure. It might simply be tightening or resealing a joint. Just a note, don't over tighten and there should be a sleeve inside each end of the pipe line that supports the pipe at the joint. I can't comment on a water reservoir's impact as I've never had one. Incidentally we turn the pump of overnight and if we're away for the day as a power conservation measure and if there was a plumbing failure (all be it unlikely). Cheers

Terry Barrasked

Cruiseliner 2B

Does anyone have a PDF copy of the Avan Cruiseliner (2B) Owner's/User's Manual? Or do you know where I can easily download one? Thanks, Terry Barr

Sam.L

Hi Terry, we're pretty ancient with a 2004 model so it might have changed, but there was no manual with ours. All the bits and pieces (ie fridge, fabric treatment etc) had their own pamphlets or manuals but nothing from Avan.

Terry Barr

Hi Sam-thanks for getting back on my query. I’ve seen a PDF copy of an Aliner model owners manual, which does help, but I thought there would a similar manual available for the other models? I’ve found nothing so far but will keep looking.

Regards, Terry

Jim Marrinerasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

Can a power mover be fitted to a 2019 Cruiseliner?

Lou S
Lou S

Yes, we had one fitted a purpleline, fitted by avan dealer.

Thanks Lou. Jim

Alanasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

My mate rolled up with his brand new Avan Adventurer and it's really nice. However, I am puzzled about what is written on the compliance plates. The tare was 1020, the two ball mass rating was 160 kg from memory, the ATM was 1350, but the axle rating was a whopping 2000 kg. Why such a miserable 330 payload, which will not be enough when the water tanks are filled, cooking gear and food added, etc., when the suspension is clearly capable of much more?

john

Hi my answer may help i have a 2012 Avan cruiseliner 14 ft i had it weighbridge to see how heavy it's going to be for my little Hyundai diesel ix35 as the tare weight says for my van 920 on the back of the car is Ltd to 1300kg as the van came up empty around about 1220 kilos did not give me much to fill it up so I tried it with all my gear and a extra deck deep cycle battery and a tank full of water and a little bit more extra food than I normally would take it came up just a little bit over 13500 kilos i had no probem whats so ever doing thousands of kilometres so as long as you know what your car and tow bar limit is and the caravan limit you should not have a problem

Thanks John.

Most interesting,

Sam.L

Hi Alan, there has been a lot of online conversations of late around the 'baggage' allowance. There were deaths in Qld and a driver charged earlier this year. There also seems to be an increasing Police/Road Authority interest in the overloading area. IMHO for a long time allowances have been inadequate and probably unethical. Particularly unethical in the cases where vans/trailers are optioned up without the purchaser being aware that the options are coming out of the ATM, not being added on to the AGM total (our first van situation). With a single axle van marketed as suitable to bush camp, it would seem reasonable for an extra water tank, extra battery and solar to be optioned. But with that tank full there's half of the vans available load without the innerspring mattress, bedding, full gas bottles, water in the other tank etc. Unfortunately, while a van/trailer might operate satisfactorily beyond the 'legal' weight, there is the risk of being fined and an insurance claims being refused. Also and most importantly, it doesn't take into account the (unlikely but potential) injury or death of others due to the overloading. Personally, we wrestle with our ATM 'total' and travel with as much as possible in the car as well as an empty water tank until we're close to the camp site or fill up with J.Cans after we've arrived. That's only 60 odd ks but with the extras in the car it keeps us legal. I shudder to think of how people go with some of the big ball weights.

Tina D

Tina Dasked

Cruiseliner 1D

How do you stop the top roof domes from coming open during travel? There is no locking mechanism on the inside, just the winder.

john

Sorry to hear about it, but it was the cheapest way they built the van in the cheapest possible way same with the suspension it's lousy if you want to go off road a little bit but for the rip I suggest put some the elastic banned around the winding knob to stop it from unwinding itself it could help when you shut it put elastic band closest to the base of the winder and that should help as it rattles loose on travel and slowly opens other than that you need to put latches on the outside off the Dome but you need somebody to do that.

actionplayer

Hi Tina, that is a simple one to fix. the reason why they come open is the spline on the butterfly handle is stripped, when you wined down the roof vents you will notice that the butterfly handle keeps turning when they are down instead of stopping and locking. the reason why the spline strips on the butterfly handle is when you don't open them for a while the roof vent lid sticks to the black rubber and if you keep trying to put pressure on the butterfly handle it strips, you should always open those roof vent lids when the van is down when they have been closed for a long period. not hard to do. they are only about $6 each.

Sandy McCasked

Cruiseliner 3

This is an Adventure Plus with Solar Panel.
The battery capacity has been a problem from day one. I charged monthly to keep the battery topped up but eventually found the battery was totally dead. I took the battery to Battery Workd who kindly replaced it after testing. 2 months later the new battery is now dead and showed 4v. I had left the porer lead plugged in almost the whole time during the 2 months. Lights on the internal charger were on and there were flashing lights on the solar charger (a-van was in a shed with no sun). We went away overseas for a month leaving the mains power plugged in. The voltage, when we left was 12.6v, and when we returned, it was 4v.
The new battery will not hold its charge.
I suspect there is something about the design that drains the battery through the solar charger? Is this a known problem? Do I need to replace the internal charger? I bought a Redarc charger which seemed to work well when doing the initial charge-up of the new battery.

john

Hi well I can only assume that you have something running draining the battery you need to put an isolator switch on the batteries so when the batteries are charged and not in use turn the isolator switch on to cut all current power if you're not able to do this you need an auto electrician to do it I did mine and had no more problem this is only the one solution at the moment

Sandy McC

I think you are right. All switches are off but still the battery drains.
There are two heavy duty leads going to the battery, but also a pair of thin leads. Did you have to isolate BOTH pairs or just the heavy duty pair?

Sandy McC

I measured the current with everything off. It would flatten a battery in 227 days in theory. I will check tonight when it is dark in case I'm measuring a small charging current as opposed to a draining current.
Most of the current was on the light weight pair.

Don

Donasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

We have a 2016 Cruiseliner and laying in bed at night we can hear water dripping. Its driving us crazy ! Have checked outside the van for leaks, but no problems. I think it might be the fridge. Thethford N304M3 model, but its cooling just fine and there,s no water in the drip tray. Any answers ?

Wendy R.

Wendy R.asked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

Can you advise what tyre pressure we should have when on road travelling for our Golf Camper - Bush Challenger 4 - its been a couple of years since we have been on the road :)

TandB

TandBasked

Cruiseliner 3C

We have a 2003 Cruiseliner and the boot lid has been leaking along the bottom. We have sealed the hinge and put new rubber around to no avail.
Don’t know if we have used the correct seal so any help would be appreciated.

Sam.L

Hi TandB, we also had a boot water problem with our 2004, but haven't see a drop in the boot for around 5 yrs after putting on a 'temporary' vinyl skirt. We had some sun blind vinyl at hand, so covered the boot front and angled sides (just cut and glued) and it flops down as weather proofing or just sits on top of the boot door when the doors open. Its attached under the aluminium strip above the boot hinge (bolted and silicone). I did have attachments at the bottom but not necessary with the attached wooden bead. By default it's also a stone guard :) Hope this helps :)

David Kenny

David Kennyasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

When did Avan sell the company/change ownership ??

Tina E.

Tina E.asked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

The Plastic coating is coming off the frames around the dome windows is there a product we can use to cover them back up?

Julieasked

Cruiseliner 1D

How do you keep front dome window locked. Keeps opening in transit. Driving me crazy!

GlennR

I replaced knobs on top dome windows handles.
Purchased directly from Avan.
inexpensive.

actionplayer

Hi Julie, that's an easy fix just use a small door stopper jam it in between the handle and the side of the dome base then the handle won't come down when your travelling along. regards brett.

Thanks Brett

Dee W.

Dee W.asked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

I would like to fit an extra watertank to an Avan Cruiser

Sam.L

Could I suggest that you weigh the van on a weighbridge first to check/confirm the weights. I hope you're pleasantly surprised, but I suspect it will not be so. When we did ours, the tare weight was not correct and had eaten well into the ATM (supposedly our 300kg ). So there was no way we could put an extra water or grey water tank on. If we're bushing it for a while we carry the equivalent of a second tank in Jerry cans in the car and depending where we're camping we usually can get another fill up if we go somewhere where there's potable water. Hope this is of use.

China

Chinaasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

I have 2007 cruise liner can’t find drain for air con. Help?
Cliff

paulasked

Cruiseliner 3C

Hi I have a leak in my criuseliner in the corners of the apex in heavy rain. Is this typical or do I have a problem? the van is a 2017 model.

Paul
I haven’t been caught in heavy rain in my 2013 model but it has been dry in moderate falls.
I got caught in an east coast low on the beach at Byron Bay in my previous 2003 model ( which had insect size gaps at the corners and it didn’t leak at all. it must have dropped 50 mil that night with at least 20 knot winds. I packed up in the storm and dropped my van off at a friend’s house next day. I didn’t pick it up for two months expecting mould would be everywhere and I would be cleaning it for a day but I was surprised to find it dry and ready to use.

Sam.L

Hi Paul, I can only speak from what I've read and experience from our 2004 model. We had leaks front and back. Our front leaks were boot related and eventually I put a vinyl "stone guard" cover starting (underneath an Al. strip) reusing the screw holes just below the window and the vinyl going down below the boot. It resolved most of the front issue. As John has mentioned the roof can cause leaking. 2 ways I've seen are; 1. the foam is not sealed so water can soak down to the lowest area and then drip/seep out. 2. in reading some people had water ingress from water running along the lower edge of the roof Al. vertical edge, again at the lowest area. If foam is suspected then redoing it (app $80 from Avan) and attaching it further up the inside the Al. and a block of rebated wood should make it a pretty simple exercise. I was tempted to go with non open foam but the compression requirements are to great for a single thickness. Pinched seals (automotive) might have worked. For the dripping some people ground a 1/2 circle to raise the dripping point. Unfortunately with replacing my disintegrating foam I didn't realise the need to fit the foam up away from the edge. To remedy my mistake I just ran a piece of sealed foam at a 90deg angle (to the ground with roof raised) cutting through the open foam and created a dripping point for the Al. edge as well. Re the rear, the leaks I've had have been from poor seals on tail lights, running lights and the hatch door. I feared the corners might be leaking but after satisfactory seals and hardware no more leaks in the rear. Also the front running lights were also done just to be thorough. If you do have a leak in the corners then you will be one of the few and given it's a 2017 van to my mind it could be a shoddy construction issue that you will need to rectified. And probably it will be you rectifying it! Mind you I've found the sales staff at Pakenham (F2F) excellent for information around working on the van. Hope this is of some assistance Paul.

paul

Thanks for the information Glenn and Sam. The amount of water that came in was a lot more than dripping so I feel it is a construction issue of some sort. The van was a demo and I have used it only twice. Unfortunately I had had a few issues with it and have shoddy repairs done at the point of sale so I will not be taking it back to them again. As suggested I will ring Pakenham and see if they have a solution. Thanks again Paul

Paulasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

How can I clean the curtains in my 2005 cruiser with out removing them?

john

Well, that's a difficult one. So may start with a small handheld steam cleaner I myself would not wash them as they as they will never be any good to put back not because of the material its the silly plastic strips that sewing on the curtain washing will destroy it and u will won't able to hang them up again. So if you won't clean curtain again buy new ones .hope this was helpful

Penguin

Penguinasked

Cruiser & Cruiseliner

Having trouble making curtains slide on existing tracks , very stiff to move. Real pain , any clues please?

john

Hi yes they are a dam pain to move them U need to grab top and bottom at the same time to move . and try a bit of silicone spray with a straw tube in the end of it otherwise you will get it all over the curtains what they need is a solid edge like a rod from top to bottom that way you can pull them from the middle I had mentioned this to the Avan manufacturers but my biggest problem is lousy suspension otherwise I love the van

Margasked

Cruiseliner 1D

We lost our spare weel from the cruise liner adventure+ 2017 mod. Anyone experienceed this? Purchessed brand new.

john

Sorry your loss of the spare wheel the best thing you can do is padlock it Next time. it's like lossing your wallet as it's another cost of traveling .

GlennR

We have a 2013 cruiseliner with 4WD chassis.

We haven’t done any off-road work and haven’t had any problems except for vent winder caps.

Were you off-road when it happened?

Marg

Hi ,Jonh we had a big padlock on it, but fel of with the bracket. The welding gave way.

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives