A'van Hardtop Series

A'van Hardtop Series Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

500 Series, 600 Series

48 questions from our users

Nic

Nicasked

Hardtop 560 Frances

has anyone built a spare bed for occasional grandchildren in their A Van Frances?

kate

hi, unfortunately we have an A Van Jensen, however the Caravan show is on in Wauchope this weekend with reps there. They may be able to answer your question.
Wauchope is near Port Macquarie.

Bruke
Bruke

Hi Nic, Bruce here from Forster NSW. We are looking at undertaking the same project, and would be happy to share ideas. We initially considered buying one of those telescopic legs for $500. But on our last trip we bumped into chap who had remved his table completely. We then then moved our table leg 3 inches toward the kitchen and cut 4 inches from the leg. We then fitted one of those extenders. It is so good now to be able to slide along the table when someone visits, instead of the leg getting in the way.
We now need to obtain a short piece of tubng to lower the table to match the seat height.
Hope this is helpful, and of course, if you have the café dining area, it won't be any use, but to others, it mght be. Regards, Bruce.

kateasked

Hardtop 609 Jensen

does anyone have an AVAN Jensen 2018 model? Are you having any problems with it ?

Sorry Late, I have an Avan Owen Ltd

Alan
Alan

We have a Jensen and absolutely love it. Done over 20000ks and not a problem

kate

we have had heaps of issues with it, however all has been fixed under the warranty. Hope there are no more surprises, even the water pump leaked!

Tommy4

Tommy4asked

Hardtop Series

Where is circuit breaker on Avan Aspire HT 499 van?

kate

ours is a Jensen , the circuit breaker is on the side of the lift up queen size bed. Maybe the Aspire is the same.

regards
Katrina Hickman

Bob

Bobasked

Hardtop Series

What kind and size battery does the 2007Eurostar have? Also the make.

Robert H

Robert Hasked

Hardtop 560 Frances

Hi everyone . We have a 2016 560 a van ht with a Thule 4900 awning fitted, seems most have. Can anyone tell me if they think it is a bit lightweight or if they have discovered a better way to secure them in a puff? Thanks All Rob.

LGB

We had the same on our Avan Owen Limited and while travelling our awning was caught by a gust of wind and snapped one of the struts. We did not like our awning and always felt it was too light and always had problems putting it up and down. We now have a Dometic and are very happy with its structure. There is a great difference in the strength of the struts and canvas. Cheers, Lorraine

Susan

We replaced ours completely, so we were able to have an annexe made. Our new one is a roll out, brand name Aussie Traveler.

actionplayer

Hi Rob, If you have got the instruction manual for your thule awning you will notice that they don't call it an awning it is called a sun shade. All thule and prostor awnings are all called sun shades, I have removed so many of these awnings and replaced them with A&E awnings over the years that I have accumulated so many thule and prostor parts, I have been working on avans for 25 years this year. The reason why avan don't use the A&E awning is it is made by DOMETIC and avan don't use DOMETIC products. DOMETIC bought prostor out in late 2014 and that is why they now use thule awnings.

Kate Rasked

Hardtop Series

Hi, we have an avan aspire 604, the battery isn’t supplying power to the van? Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on?
The battery is brand new and is fully charged, we have checked all the fuses and they are ok aswell.

LGB

Hi, my hubby asks, are you getting power through the 12 volt?

Kate R

Yes we are, it’s all good we figured it out. It was one of the wires going to the battery was damaged. We fixed it up. Thankyou x

Dougie

Dougieasked

Hardtop 560 Frances

I wish to replace the entrance door on my Frances with a Camec or a Dometic, is this possible?

LGB

Sorry don't know. Suggest you ring Avan, Camec or Dometic. I agree with your idea to change Avan doors are terrible. Cheers Lorraine

Susan

I too am unaware of doing changes. We like the stable door, but not keen on the fly screen one.

Rod Marshall
Rod Marshall

WWW
Look into it could be costly depending on choice of door

Davey2asked

Hardtop 560 Frances

where is the sullage outlet located? had a quick look cant find

Too old to crawl around the roadway

Thanks Dave

Andrew

The sullage outlets are located on the rear offside under body.

Thanks for you asistance

Regards

Dave

Rovers

Roversasked

Hardtop 525 Erin

Can anyone give me a general report on their personal experiences with Avan Erin or Rhys H/T series around 2008, I'm interested in faults including leaks and anything else that keeps failing.......

Susan

Our van is an Owen model, 2014. I have mo idea on the problems of any earlier models.

Debasked

Hardtop Series

Has anyone had problems with the queen size mattress? We hired a new aspire 499 recently and after one night the mattress had a 'ridge' across the bed. Its not a foam mattress - it's a proper one. Of course the owner wants to charge us for it if manufacturer warranty wont cover it. We are in our 60s, meticulous. we are not heavy people and all we did was sleep on it. We put no heavy objects on it, didn't jump on it or any thing like that. I'm interested to find out if this is a fault.

LGB

We have not had any problem with our (Caravan queen) size mattress. In fact, it is very comfortable, but we have eggshell foam and a thick overlay on ours. There are no ridges on our mattress. Yours sounds like a faulty mattress.

R Avan
R Avan

Hi Deb
We had the same problem with our Queen size innerspring mattress. The problem seems to be the weak wooden slats on the bed frame.They are made from poor quality soft wood, so they sag and you end up lying on the steel bed frame cross member. We overcame it by placing and egg shell foam and heavy mattress topper on the mattress , but still not satisfied we fitted another egg shell folded in half across the middle section of the bed. Ultimately, I feel the best option is to fit a solid sheet of board on the bed frame and buy a better quality mattress.
R

Fustrated

Fustratedasked

Hardtop 560 Frances

How do you pump water out of tanks in a Frances avan?

actionplayer

You don't, there is only a drain tap on the back tank. if you wind the jockey wheel up so the water from the front tank drains into the back tank, that's the only way you can empty them.

Peter

Peterasked

Hardtop 617 Aspire

Do you have photos of annexes for the aspire 555?

LGB

Beware of buying an annexe from Avan. Ours on our Owen Limited has never fitted properly with gaps between annexe and side of van about 50mm and is quite thin. After 2 years, the coating started flaking off. You would be better off getting a good quality one built.

GAMAasked

Hardtop 560 Frances

Has anyone had a problem with the Avan Frances water heater? Ours is tripping the electrics so we had to turn it off. Can't get it looked at until we are back home from Eyre Peninsula.

actionplayer

The electric element in the hws has burnt out. leave it turned off and run it on gas for now. This is a common thing on the truma hws if it is a truma hws. Dometic handle truma products. Wouldn't ask your avan dealer they are only paid to work not to think. I have repaired more avans than anyone in Australia.

levyk7
levyk7

Hi, your hot water system in your Frances will be a swift HWS something that actionplayer should know as he has repaired so many of them. you can contact swift on Phone
(03) 9359 3068 for trouble shooting and advice.

GAMA

Its actually a Truma, and Dometic are their agents. I am trying to get it fixed now using the Truma agent in Canberra but it has been a week so far, after he told me he could get the part in 2 days. Hmmm.

Shirleyasked

Hardtop 609 Owen

How does the gas hot water system work? not getting hot water

Jackie
Jackie

I'm not sure ... ours is OK .... look in instruction manual for gas switch location.

Shirley

Done all that does not explain very much

actionplayer

It is probably the temp valve under the bed they are poor quality that's why avan use them. Wouldn't ask your avan dealer they are only paid to work not to think. I have repaired more avans than anyone in Australia.

Norm

Normasked

Hardtop 609 Owen

I have a problem with the inlet valve ,we cannot get water into the van only way we can get water is thru the pump and and holding tanks. We cannot go on mains as it doesn't go in .The hose connections are round the right way can't find any kinks under van or under bed only .I believe that the inlet valve is just on the inside under the cupboard , is the valve spring loaded? And should I be able to push it in

Hilly

There is a shuttle valve under the bed - it will need to be taken apart and freed up - they get a tiny piece of dirt into them and jam the shuttle valve from moving freely to allow town water or van tanks to operate. Best to always have an inline (carbon) filter when utilizing town water as this seems to eliminate the problem.

Stocky

We had the same problem. The filler pipe in the van was kinked up in a big loop. Avan had to cut the pipe shorter so water actually flowed down hill and not up.our preasure reducer valve blocked up aswell and i replaced it with a tap and bought a plastic one from bunnings that fits on the tap for about $10.

garyasked

Hardtop 563 Liam

Hi,
I was wondering if i can invert the overlay axles on my avan liam 2008 to gain some extra height.
Regards Gary Petersen

Hilly

Hi Gary, if your axles are currently mounted on top of springs there is no problem relocating underneath; you will need to ensure the spring centre bolts (or whatever method is used to lock the axle to the springs) can locate safely in the axle - it may need some modification but will not be a huge job. Best of luck, Hilly.

Hi Hilly,
Thanks for the reply but i think going that way the relocating of the shockies will pose a problem. I have heard of people swapping out the overlay axles for straight maybe i might have to go that way just a bit more expense.Thanks again.
Regards Gary.

suzy

suzyasked

Hardtop Series

Looking at buying a year 2010 avan jack ht van, what problems do you think I would possibly come across? I will be traveling on my own and a first timer. Will it fall apart on rough roads? I've also been told not to buy a jayco not built well for anything but bitumen roads not good underneath not strongly built like has nailed down floors, etc. Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks! Sue

Do not buy a Avan.Full stop

Do not buy a Avan.Full stop

big K
big K

Avoid Avan unless you like to be disappointed

rod casked

Hi!
First time going to do some free camping. Filled tanks and then tried waterpump. Water leaked at back of van coming from around outlet hose of shower. Pump continues to run but cannot access any hoses to see why water is coming out of hose as no one in shower so why does it come out alongside shower grey water hose. HELP!

TG

I would say the water hose is loose or damaged where it connects to the shower behind the grey panel and would be leaking back where the pipe comes through the floor

hi
thanks for reply Have taken van back to avan and they are going to fix under warranty.
rc

JLJasked

Hardtop Series

our Avan Aspire 499 PT has a drainage problem . The water from the sink and wash basin backs up and flows into the shower. we have only noticed this while having a drainage hose hooked up at a Park. Using a bucket there is no problem. Is there a trick with the drainage hose? Is there a maximum length? Any solutions? I tried the plug but the water floated it out.

Johnno

We had a similar problem at first I solved this by fitting a larger hose fitting to the drain the water quicker had no problems since then

JLJ

thank you, am observing vans with a second line from shower, your solution sound easier.

TG

We have avan Francis have experienced this problem with longer hose but shorter one ok TG

depots1

depots1asked

Hardtop Series

Has anyone had a problem with sliding shower screen door in Avan Aspire 555? Recently purchased and it looks very flimsy.Should they be left open or closed while in transit?

Johnno

We have a A van Liam which has a hinged door sorry I can't be any help to you

diajons
diajons

Yes shower screen is flimsy but it does the job. only thing I have had to do is put a piece of hard plastic into top running rail to keep the rail in place when you open and close screen. Think rail should have been about 3mm longer.I always leave shower screen in open position unless using the shower.
Hope this helps
Diajons

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives