7A'van Hardtop Series

A'van Hardtop Series Questions & Answers (page 4)

rod c · Hardtop 560 Frances

Hi!

First time going to do some free camping. Filled tanks and then tried waterpump. Water leaked at back of van coming from around outlet hose of shower. Pump continues to run but cannot access any hoses to see why water is coming out of hose as no one in shower so why does it come out alongside shower grey water hose. HELP!

TG

I would say the water hose is loose or damaged where it connects to the shower behind the grey panel and would be leaking back where the pipe comes through the floor

hi

thanks for reply Have taken van back to avan and they are going to fix under warranty.

rc

JLJ · Hardtop Series

our Avan Aspire 499 PT has a drainage problem . The water from the sink and wash basin backs up and flows into the shower. we have only noticed this while having a drainage hose hooked up at a Park. Using a bucket there is no problem. Is there a trick with the drainage hose? Is there a maximum length? Any solutions? I tried the plug but the water floated it out.

Johnno

We had a similar problem at first I solved this by fitting a larger hose fitting to the drain the water quicker had no problems since then

JLJ

thank you, am observing vans with a second line from shower, your solution sound easier.

TG

We have avan Francis have experienced this problem with longer hose but shorter one ok TG

depots1
depots1 · Hardtop Series

Has anyone had a problem with sliding shower screen door in Avan Aspire 555? Recently purchased and it looks very flimsy.Should they be left open or closed while in transit?

Johnno

We have a A van Liam which has a hinged door sorry I can't be any help to you

diajons
diajons

Yes shower screen is flimsy but it does the job. only thing I have had to do is put a piece of hard plastic into top running rail to keep the rail in place when you open and close screen. Think rail should have been about 3mm longer.I always leave shower screen in open position unless using the shower.

Hope this helps

Diajons

ross
ross · Hardtop 563 Liam

Looking at buying 2012 563 liam mkii adv pack, anyone got comments good or bad?

keith
keith

great van we have one travels well ,minor problems only but nothing major cheers keith we love it .

Steve · Hardtop Series

Does anyone else have a problem with the aspire 499 shower not draining properly? The floor seems to be too flat so the shower water doesn't drain out

Jack
Jack

If your shower recess is a combined shower/toilet I think you will find that all of those recesses are relatively flat. It was in my AVAN Liam anyway. I mostly swept the water into the drain with my feet and then cleaned up afterwards with a shamie or sponge into the sink. A bit of a nuisance but did not take too long and I got quite good at it eventually. Hope that helps.

lawrance
lawrance

I'll concur that the combo toilet/shower floor is a bit flat. My Aspire 499 was fitted with a folding sink, and if I tip it shut too quickly, some water dribbles down from the back of the sink down to the floor, which is a bit annoying because the water doesn't find its way to the drain hole. I don't use the shower, so I don't know how much water would pool on the floor. It's my first van with a shower recess, so I can't say that this is any worse than other makes of vans out there. I don't think the shower/toilet/floor components are made by A'Van - they look to be industry generic items.

Steve

Thanks for the reply's there doesn't seem to be a fix for it so we will keep mopping, It annoys my "her indoors". otherwise the van is fine we had some dust come in between the floor and wall under the front seats when on a dirt road recently, it seems very well built in this area so am a bit perplexed where it gets in. The front boot leaks a bit but I reckon I can fix that. We traded a 28 year old Roma pop-top for this and since Feb have done 8000 ks its very comfortable and the shower was a godsend on the Eyre Highway.

Grace D
Grace D · Hardtop 560 Frances

Hi Morisset, have you had any luck with all your problems with the caravan?

. We finally got our caravan back, and guess what it will have to go back again. They say that they have fixed the door, but if needs to go back again, because every time the weather reaches 20+ deg we have trouble with opening and closing. To think that we were thinking between Jacko starcraft or Avan Frances. it is plane to see that we made the wrong choice.

New Francis owner, Moris
New Francis owner, Moris

Hello Grace, no, not much luck, we still have problems each time we use the caravan. Away now, water not going into caravan, having to use the tanks and pump for all water!! Doors still opening while travelling, windows not working properly, etc etc. Service guy at Morisset really good but he can only do so much with the poor quality materials used in the making of the van. We also realise we have made the wrong choice and would never buy an Avan again. Our friends bought a Concept same time as us, their van has better quality materials used in it and seems a lot stronger than ours, for similar price (and their van is bigger). We stand by our original review - poor quality materials and workmanship in the van.

Peter
Peter · Hardtop Series

We ordered an Avan Frances from the Batemans Bay caravan show last November and was told it would be ready March/April 2014. We paid a $4,000 deposit, but we have never had a letter or phone call that was initiated by Avan or its representatives. The delivery date has been put back twice, only because we have called them, and is now July the 11th. We wished we had never signed up for this caravan and bought one somewhere we could get good customer service. Did anyone else have this sort of experience from Avan?

Ross Miriam_Kelly

Hi Peter. Sorry to hear you are having problems with Avan customer service. Unfortuantely customer service with Avan is shockingly poor. We had issue's with them in the past and same deal they never contacted us. It was always us having to phone them. It took them 6 months to give us 2 answers. As far as their vans go they generally are very good. It is their extremely poor customer service that lets them down. And because of that we would never purchase another of their products.

big K

Avan have no idea what customer service is. Once they get your deposit they don't want to know you. When you pick up the van and pay them they believe you never existed. When travelling don't think a interstate Avan dealer will help with warranty issues either. Will never buy another Avan and will never recommend Avan to anyone. Poor product produced to a price not a standard and no customer service

first timer
first timer · Hardtop Series

Hi Pinto,

I just purchased a 2013 Owen, however the awning seems fairly flimsy, with limited options for an annex, and the screen door is an absolute waste of time although I love everything else, did read your review prior to purchase so thanks for your comments?

Hi first timer

The standard awing is just that, standard. You need to upgrade to an A&E awning to take an annex. If you upgrade when ordering the van the extra cost is about $400. Screen door is for insects only, be careful with its use or be prepared for repairs.

Harry Julitz
Harry Julitz

Hi first timer. My owen 609 came with a Prostor awning which turns into an annex by sliding the walls into a groove in the tracks. We have never used the annex in our travels. The proctor awning looks very flimsy but we have not had any problems with it. If it gets too windy I wind it back up. This I can not do with the annex walls attached.. Water also pools up on top and I tilt it sideways to let it drain off , put a drum under the end to catch rain water to fill our tanks when free camping.

Winefish · Hardtop Series

Can anyone get through to A'Van?

Have made a terrible mistake signing up to buy an A'Van Frances HT. I was enthusiastic to become a caravanner, not having the first clue about it, and ordered the van (6 months delivery) from Adelaide A'van. Instantly I got the feeling they don't want to know you, once signed. Have written twice to A'van at admin@avan.com.au as per web site, wanting to know about the single bed option, but they don't answer. Another example: Q "Is there wiring to charge the van battery from the car whilst driving?" A "No" and Adelaide dealer [name removed] walked off with me gaping after her. Guess the A'van is suitable only for 240V caravan parks, but perhaps someone knows a solution. I have read that there is an adventure pack or something with heavier suspension, but I haven't managed to get any information on any options so it is all a mystery. Problem is I don't know what questions to ask. Thinking of pulling out - I like the van, but can't handle no service. Any advice?

bdsmt

Your Adelaide AVAN dealer is apparently doing a poor job. You can ’phone AVAN Ian Stokes Admin Manager on 0359416488. I found him very busy but helpful in resolving warranty problems with our Eurostar 609. Heavier”off road” suspensions are available from time of order on some models but your dealer should know this. The Electroblock power system does have an input for car charging but you have to ask why you need it if you use powered sites. The fridge can run off the car battery when travelling but an Anderson plug and 10 square mm cable must be used to avoid voltage drop. A vibration detecting “ Fridgeswitch” should also be used in the van so as not to flatten the car battery.

Winefish

Thanks bdsmt, Avan's [name removed] actually rang me about the same time as your answer, and provided me with all I wanted to know about the single bed configuration and lots more useful answers to other questions. Now I have seen it via photos he sent me, I will be changing the order to a double bed. I managed to download the use manual for the electroblock, and it incorporates a DC-DC converter to increase the voltage from the car, plus a sensor detecting ignition off. I do intend to do a lot of free campingso will need to be self powered. Thanks for the hint about the fridgeswitch - never knew about this device but sounds a good idea.

Sdzno
Sdzno · Hardtop Series

We are looking at buying an Avan Charlotte 2010 model. We like to camp in National Parks and go into the bush but not on 4WD tracks (we have a Hilux but not 4WD) will this van handle bush tracks?

Ross Miriam_Kelly

I would suggest you measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the rear leg stays when they are up. We have a 2011 Charlotte H/T and we scrap our rear legs on the ground getting into some campgrounds yet the van is sitting even when on the car. They also have an adventure pack option as well for more durability.

Ross Miriam_Kelly

Out of curiosity, did you purchase the van?

cheryn douglas
cheryn douglas · Hardtop Series

What is a 2010 model worth brand new please?

Ross Miriam_Kelly

We had our charlotte built in 2011. I think they start around $34000 but depending on extra's you could end up around $39000. We put a/c in a full oven camp room solar panels and a few smaller extas in ours. Hope this helps.

bdsmt

The price of an AVAN Eurostar 609 in 2010 was $59000 drive away(NSW rego)

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives

Select a listing for your question
A'van Hardtop Series