Part of AAMI Car Insurance 1.8

10% · 77705 · 89%

Tobygiles
Tobygiles
  Verified Comprehensive

AAMI used to be good, not anymore

The neighbour backed into my new car and did minor damage which required replacement of the front fender. The assessor refused to paint the whole side of the car despite the repairer stating that he could not guarantee a good colour match. I found out that AAMI repairers are required to sign contracts agreeing to a set price for each repair and they get $2200 for every repair no matter how big or small. This means the repairer does the bare minimum. I ended up cancelling the claim and organising the repair to be done properly. It is a 2-year-old car. I don't want people staring at my car as I drive down the road noticing the paint mismatch.
Oscar
OscarSydney, NSW8 posts
Renee E.
Renee E.

Terrible customer service

Car accident the 14 February. Was taken to a different repairer that I was advised without notification. I had to call to find out where it only to find out it was un repairable and immediately went to assessment- no update on either app or website on this. I had to call to find this out was told 7-10 business days to assess then 7 days for claim settlement. Now over three weeks post claim being made, app is still saying at repairers. Website shows claim payment authorised. Haven’t heard a thing from them. Every time I call I am hold for 45 mins then get told someone will call me or I will get an email. Terrible customer service!
Jenny C.
Jenny C.

AAMI Chat - unreliable

John F from the chat was unreliable, he ended the chat on me deliberately rather than trying to help.
Mark W
Mark WSouth East Queensland, QLD
Randy RobertsSydney Surrounds, NSW4 posts

AAMI Insurance Lies

I wish I'd looked here before going with AAMI comprehensive car insurance. The difference between their "Lucky Your with AAMI" advertising lie and reality is like the difference between chalk and cheese. You have to wait for about an hour to get to an offshore call center which won't answer your questions and stone walls you. My vehicle is still hasn't being "assessed" - but it's only been two weeks, so according to some posts under this topic I still have another five weeks to wait.
Randy Roberts

24th Feb, 2024 - Sent an email to AAMI customer service. Today is the 1st March, and have had no response, so I have reached out again.

Maf.
Maf.2 posts
Frazer W.
Frazer W.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC3 posts

Poor customer service

Have 13 policy's with AAMI. Both business and personnel.
Spend hours waiting on hold, virtual assistant is never available when you want to cancel a policy.
So frustrating.
toadNewcastle NSW10 posts
  Comprehensive

Can’t admit their own faults

My 85 year old mother, has a licence restricting her to local area, drives maybe 700 km per year. AAMI has decided that’s she’s driven a thousand km from her home in northern nsw, to Victoria, written off some Isuzu and the driven home. They are reasonable people on the phone “ oh dear, there must be a mistake” but the letters demanding $50000 keep coming
toad

No, my mum doesn’t have a policy with them. Couldn’t review without ticking one of the boxes. My poor mum just on the receiving end of three letters of demand for $50000 from aami, each with increasing threats of legal action

law t.2 posts
law t.

Now they told me that I have to wait another week!!!! 4 weeks already since I lodged the claim, I believe that they gonna say the same thing next week. you are lucky with AAMI we are here to help:):):):)

Scott
Scott

Stay clear of AAMI and SMART smash repairs

Stay clear from AAMI car insurance and SMART smash repairs.
Had an accident that was not my fault in December last year.
Claim lodges very next day.
Car was not assessed until mid January.
I took my car to be assessed in January and was told 2 weeks to fix.
The next week I was told that I needed to come and pick up my car again as parts needed to be orders.
To date I am still waiting on parts as the part required is on back order. It’s almost been 3 months since my claim being lodged.
Both the smash repair and AAMI have taken no responsibility for the delay in repairs. Unfortunately for me I am trying to sell my car. So I have left out to dry.

DO NOT GO with AAMI‼️

Mahboubeh
MahboubehGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC2 posts

AAMI is the worst!

AAMI is the worst!
We had an accident after ages paying money to AAMI, and they even don't answer phone calls. Very irresponsible. They only want your money, and don't support you after an accident. How can we force them to answer phone calls? Only by taking them to the court?!! ×(
Alex
AlexGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC19 posts
Jase T.
Jase T.

Ridiculous increase in premiums

Renewal value was over 20% less than prior year.
No claims or changes to the policy.
Renewal premium up by 35%.
What the actual LOL
Pete2000
Pete2000Sydney, NSW41 posts
Martyn H3 posts
  Comprehensive

AAMI are the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with

Car damaged as a result of a glass repairer. Now AAMI is not helping me at all. Telling me to go sort it out directly with the glass repairer and their crash repairer. The glass repairer wants a quick fix and even the crash repairer they sent me to told me not to deal with them. AAMI is nowhere to be seen. The policy is with them, the claim is with them, they take the payments but wont help. I put in a complaint and they advised they would get back to me within 48 hours later. That was 6 days ago. Nothing. Worst customer service in insurance I have ever had.
Martyn H

Having complained four times now in writing to AAMI and apart from the automated email advising my complaint is received, AAMI has not contacted me to resolve my complaint. I have now taken this to AFCA.

Mondayitis
MondayitisGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC55 posts
Alison
Alison
  Comprehensive

Great experience with claim and renewal

Really helpful when I made a no fault claim, can't fault them at all, excellent service. When renewing my policy, Steph was extremely helpful and I really appreciate it
Karen3 posts

Antony O.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA43 posts
Fabio G.
Fabio G.7 posts
  Comprehensive

Be aware of dodgy wording when select excess

Basically if you move your excess higher you actually doubling up because will be the standard plus the what ever you choose.. not very clear when you buy online.. dodgy sells techniques if you ask me. Not to mention that you have to spend a day on the phone if something happens since they let you wait forever.
Phil
PhilGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC10 posts

Impossible to contact

Called AAMI to check on claims progress. The automated phone system advised the wait time would be 45 minutes.
Andre D.
Andre D.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Deeply regret, stay away

DEEPLY REGRET BEING WITH AAMI, been more than a month I’ve started my claim, 2 weeks ago “settlement authorised” and so far nothing, I’ve been juggling to get to work and run errands, IMPOSSIBLE TO TALK TO SOMEONE, NO COMMUNICATION AT ALL. Stay away from AAMI
Ryan
Ryan2 posts

Travis
TravisPerth, WA24 posts
  Comprehensive

very long call wait times and incompetent staff

I had a 40 minute wait call to change the repairer due to the first repairer being unable to repair electric vehicles, I had to bring the car in for them to tell me that.
Then I had to call again 50 minute wait call again as the first call didn't cancel the repair with the first repairer and the second repairer had no record of the booking.
Sue G.
Sue G.2 posts

5 year customer no claims where I’m at fault

Got my renewal from AAMI, was paying $137 a month for fully comp plus care hire. There were two claims in the last 4 years which were not my fault and had drivers details. Have a platinum rating, car is in a lock up garage and only 5 years old and I only do around 10km per annum, I’m the only driver and I’m 35. They sent me a renewal for $217 per month. An increase of 58.2%. So I called to enquire how they have put it up so much and I got a scripted response, inflation, cost of parts and care hire increasing blah blah. Got the same policy with road side assist for $134 a month from Virgin.

This is how they treat their loyal customers! They kindly offered to bring it down by $5 a month. Bye AAMI

Hannah
HannahSouth East Queensland, QLD9 posts

Reallr bad service

Painful company to deal with. Took 2 weeks to track down where my car went as it was supposed to be listed on my online account but it was not. Have to jump through hoops to actually talk to a human. 40 min plus wait everything one you waste 5 mins going through prompts. They don't respond to emails. They even got my name wrong on the emails. Reallt bad will be changing insurance asap.
Clinton O.
Clinton O.Perth, WA27 posts

Hard to cancel policy

Tried to call, on hold for so long.
Tried to do online chat. Chat started when mention cancel they don't return to chat to finish. I would avoid aami at all costs. Very shady tactics. They then close my chat with no closing mention.
Kinley
KinleyCanberra Central 2602, ACT

Bad insurance

Been in accident 2 months ago and still I am without my car. Called many times but been getting all these lame excuses that accessing team is not ready. Bad insurance. Avoid it. If there is an option to give below 1 star I wll give negative also
Katie Quinn
Katie Quinn
Jean
Jean

Policy premium went up by 25% in one year

I held a comprehensive car insurance with AAMI for 5 years, in which no claim was made. Throughout these years the car market value went down by 20% while the renewal went up by 25% from 2023-2024 alone. If that is what you get from being a good driver and a loyal customer, I can only imagine what will happen if I am involved in an accident. Sorry AAMI, you've lost this one.
Receiver
ReceiverMelbourne20 posts

And finally - 44% premium increase on renewal

Who here gets 44% pay rise every year? No volunteers? Beware of AAMI then, they assume you do, and have no problem with losing customers. Attention mature drivers - Budget Direct has a progressive discount system that lets you reduce your premiums up to HALF (could be more but I didn't go that far) - depending on how much you restrict the age of covered drivers. And they offer higher agreed value. Yes, they may be not too efficient on their claim processing but looking at the AAMI reviews, neither are AAMI despite their false advertising, so - do yourself a favor, take your business elsewhere. I did.
Sarah
SarahSydney, NSW3 posts

Appalling

Nobody following up my claim, overseas call centres ineffective…. No customer service until I demand an Australian based customer service operator after customer service complaints only has a voicemail!
Sam
SamSydney, NSW60 posts

Caz
Caz3 posts

Unlucky to be with AAMI

My car insurance policy has increased by $514 in a year. This is a 55% increase. Have never made a claim with them. Ridiculous increase and will be changing provider. Nothing other than making profits explains such an increase. Shop around people.
Shai
Shai

Worst car insurance

Been more then 15 buisness days and they state they haven't received the quote for repairs from their repairer of choice yet. I have confirmed with the repair company that the quote has been sent. Stuck without any, progress for over 3weeks now.
Steve
SteveSydney, NSW4 posts
  Comprehensive

Kept the remainder of the premium

I was unfortunate enough to be in a not at fault car accident where my car was written off.My car was insured for $20k.I made a claim and got $19.2k back and had to claim the green slip remainder my self.
My policy had approx 6 months left on it and I assumed because the policy would be finished due accident the remainder of the premium would be paid out back to me.Wrong.They cancelled the policy and kept the money.Sound almost illegal to me to do this.I was told to read the fine print.
I asked another insurance company and they do the same.They said even if you pay by the month they would want the remainder owing.
How on earth does fair trading allow these greedy corporations to get away with this?
Alz
AlzSydney, NSW

Double standards

Check this out.

My friend and I live on the same street same Suburb and have the same cars.

Both of us have no claims & have a clean records for insurance and drivers license.

They want to charge me double for my car comprehensive insurance, yes twice as much as my friends AAmi insurance policy and they can’t explain why and will not reduce it to match my friends policy.

All other insurance companies have quoted both of us the same valuation and cheaper.

Also note that AAMI was more expensive than the others.

What a joke and soo much for been long term loyal customer.