AAMI Car Insurance - Comprehensive

See the Best Car Insurance in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by AAMI

• 1-2 weeks (11)
    • 2-4 weeks (15)
    • 1-2 months (32)
    • 3+ months (32)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (59) · No (34)

TJF
TJFGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

5 months after the launch of a new Toyota AAMI still doesn't cover!

Purchased a new Toyota Kluger in June 2021. Before delivery and for months after wards I have chased AAMi for the model to be included in their list of vehicles and 5 months later the car cannot be insured. For an insurance giant not to have one of the world's most popular cars is nothing short of incompetance

AAMI reputation

We have a comprehensive policy, and went to get 3 quotes for some minor damage to see if it warranted making a claim. As soon as ALL 3 panel beaters heard AAMI, they ALL refused to do the job. "will not deal with AAMI" was the general consensus. Have to fight and fight to get their money, and eventually get paid MONTHS later. It's just not worth it. Be aware folks, make some calls yourself to check, before you commit.

Insurance TypeComprehensive

Mark S
Mark SSydney, NSW

I will never use them again! Be warned

I was the NOT at fault driver and my vehicle was a Total Loss.
The vehicle was well under insured and AAMI takes out the registration and CTP insurance amount away from the final pay out figure and also took the full years payment for the insurance and then took out the full years insurance amount which, this totalled several hundred dollars. I have been with AAMI for a long time but now when it was time to claim they took every cent away, other insurance companies do not do this! Buyer be warned!

Veni
VeniGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Suburb discrimination

Looking for comprehensive car insurance at the weekend I came to know that those living in Nunawading, Blackburn and surrounding suburbs are expected to pay double the rate to those leaving in Camberwell or Canterbury for an instance. Why is that? What is the statistical data to back this? Were there more burglaries or thefts or accidents in the outer suburbs during 2020 and 2021 when we were in lockdown? Can someone explain?

CSH Picone
CSH PiconeNorth Queensland, QLD

Garbage customer service.

Mark
MarkVictoria

2 months in and still driving around with a massive chip in my windscreen

tried to write off my car over a bumper

Super Funds Awards 2020!

Avleen M.1 June 2020
we-compared-reviews-on-the-top-5-most-popular-car-insurance-providers
Gin
GinGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Would give it a zero if I could

I had an accident (I was not at fault and provided them with the at fault party details) but they still made me pay out the entire year policy. I would understand if I was at fault but I wasn’t. The other party who caused the accident were not insured. It’s one of their finely printed conditions. They underinsured my car and over charged me. I’m at fault for not knowing or checking, after 10 years being a customer I trusted and paid the renewal and didn’t realise after having an accident for financially disadvantaged I’d be. I checked with other insurers and they don’t make you pay out the year for a not at fault claim.

Ray Nickleigh
Ray Nickleigh

Stay away from AAMI, they insist on using aftermarket parts on your brand new car and void your warranty!

Do not insure your brand new car with AAMI! I had my brand new car, only 6 months old damaged by someone else's negligence. I lodged a claim, provided the other drivers details who was at fault. AAMI assessors insisted on using aftermarket mechanical parts, voiding my 7 year warranty. I tried to escalate this matter several times and AAMI has a brilliant system of ignoring my concerns. I provided a copy of my car warranty, showing my concerns but they only ignore. It is amazing how bad they treat their customers! STAY AWAY FROM AAMI!!!!

Find out how AAMI Car Insurance - Comprehensive compares to other Car Insurance

Awful, you might aswell throw your money out the window.

Made my claim process extremely difficult and extremely drawn out only to argue it and further extend my wait time to get back on my feet. Insurance is not cheap and you would hope to think you could insure something with peace of mind that you are paying for a service. Do yourself a favour and don't consider AAMI.

J D.
J D.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

They make it very hard to claim!!!

1. Cant access claim progress online
2. Calls long wait
3. They goto message bank and then message bank is full
4. They hang up mid call
5. They clearly want you to go away because its hard and not claim.
Ill be going to another insurance next time.

Leanne P.
Leanne P.

Don't value long standing customers

I had been with AAMI for over 30 years and every year they greatly increased premiums and gave little recognition for lifetime rating one. I and my friends have now all left AAMI as they abuse long standing customers

Scott R.
Scott R.Sydney, NSW

Stay Far Far Away from AAMI!

I had to deal with AAMI as a result of one of their insured drivers crashing into me (other driver at fault). AAAMI were completely uncompassionate, dishonest, fraudulent, bullying, time wasting and generally terrible to deal with for even the smallest matters. I would never insure with AAMI, not recommend anyone else does.

My opinion here seems to be in line with everyone else that has had to deal with them too!

STAY AWAY FROM AAMI!!

Reena
ReenaHunter Region, NSW

Road side assistance is very poor

Had flat tyre... in the main road. Had to wait from 12midday to 4pm. In between staff came 1km near the location, and dropped his job due to his impatience and aggressive behaviour. Was very rude towards the customer for not telling the correct address. Please recruit staff who have qualities of patience, empathy, politeness , atleast with good listening skills. Very disappointed with the service. All customer service on phone was excellent.

Insurance TypeComprehensive
AAMI
Customer Service S.AAMI

Hi there, this is disappointing to hear. I'd like to arrange for someone to look into this for you. Please email social@aami.com.au with your full name, policy number, and date of birth, and we'll reach out to the Roadside Assist team to investigate.

Nik_41
Nik_41South East Queensland, QLD

Clearly AAMI aren’t after business!

I called and sent a live chat and customer service is terrible.AAMI must be making a tonne of money as they’re not interested in getting business! I was a customer for 17 years and have just returned from 2.5 years in London and they won’t honour any of the no claim bonus etc that I had before I left. Customer service was pretty much like ‘too bad’…I’ll take my business elsewhere and you can keep your attitude!

ChittyD
ChittyDasked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707
Wendy0707asked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensive
UnderwriterAAI
Legal Liability Cover Included up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Optional Extra
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverZero Excess Optional Extra
Choice of RepairerNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled
Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)
Towing Costs Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled
Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incident
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Lock and Key ReplacementNot Included
Transit Cover Not Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000
Child Safety Seats and PramsIncluded up to $500 per claim
New-for-old Car Replacement

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not Applicable