AAMI Car Insurance

AAMI Car Insurance Questions & Answers (page 3)

Verifiedaami.com.au
HOA
HOA · Car Insurance

How I change address and add the road side assistant online? Thanks.

TReviews
TReviews

I don't know, I advise you to call AAMI's customer service number and ask them how to do this.

jonno
jonno · Car Insurance

my daughter who is on my insurance policy was hit from behind by another car who is not insured I put my claim in and now I get a phone call saying it is now under review why would that be .....would they be wanting to speak to the other driver first or what..

Georrgeo
Georrgeo

Mostly AAMI has been quite good with claims. My suspicion is that they are no longer AAMI but underwritten by some Trojan mother company. They put cases under review now to avoid admitting liability. they then look ast the accident from every angle. My suggestion is that you make sure your evidence is sorted, and that you definitely are covered in the scope of your policy. Speak to the police, to identify liability. keep questioning the company, and don't let them sit on it. you have a claims officer, so use him/her. find out every bit of info that the company needs, and don't let them do you over.

Cvn

Under review means your claim is under investigations if everything is ok the usually they release it after a few days

Ger
Ger · Car Insurance

Where can I read the PDS for the regular car insurance? Cheers

On the AAMI website

Chi Nguyen
Chi Nguyen · Car Insurance

I got hit in a car park when I just drove out by a taxi. The taxi driver drove at least 40km/h because he hit me so hard that my car turned 90o and put another car parking next to me 3 m away and my car was smashed too bad to be written off.

At first when I made a claim with AAMI on 27 Aug (on a third-party policy) they said the liability would be 60/40 or 50/50 and they will carefully check the case, the footage from the carpark,... I checked with them regularly and on 3 or 4 September, they still said the same and tell me to wait for their assessment.

Today, when I called again they said they decided on 30 Aug that it is 100% my fault because I did not give way. It is regardless of how fast the taxi driver drove or whether if he was on phone. And they even don't need to check the footage or contact me to inform me about the result. I really disappointed about this, is it because I was on the third-party only that they treated me like that ? What should I do now ?

Please advice me.

Mak H

You'd be at 100% fault if you didn't "give way", if you with the cheap option of 3rd party only then nothing much will happen and every other is the same. I always advise of comparative comprehensive insurance for sure.

ziro
ziro

You are at fault. Stationary car must give way when they pull out. I f you are driviing and all the sudden car pull out in front of you and you hit the car, guess who is at fault.? off course whoever pulled out in front of you!! you better go back to get re-test your driving law...

Cvn

The only time you are not at fault is when you are 100%not based on your version you are partially at fault

coopey · Car Insurance

My car has been writen off and paid out $1700. I was told I still have to pay the insurance premiums until the end of the 12 month term after paying $600 excess and continued monthly premiums I cannot afford to buy a new car as I can't afford to pay two lots of insurance. Just wondering if this is correct? cheers

kazza g
kazza g

Im not sure good luck hope all goes well.

Linda
Linda

You would need to check all the terms and conditions of the contract you signed with aami. Seems very wrong to me but I'm not sure sorry. Hope all goes well.

coopey

THANKYOU, i'll have to get someone to check it out for me not very good at understanding all the lingo I still have until next June for the contract to run out so wont be getting another car anytime soon I don't understand why they paid it out if they still want to take the monthly repayments just should of kept it !!

Felle
Felle

Doesn't sound right. In my PDS, I have a right to cancel my policy at anytime (less $30 admin fees). AAMI is a very dishonest company. If what they are telling you is not lining up with your PDS, make a compliant to the Insurance Ombudsman. I've recently filed a compliant about AAMI too! Hope they will be dealt with soon!

Cvn

It's in the pds if they total loss your car you have to pay your entire premium it's not a month by month contract - read the pds

Mazza
Mazza

doesn't sound right check your pds or call up and find out (obviously don't give them any details to identify you, i've had insurer's lie to me about there policy before)

Bebe
Bebe · Car Insurance

Paid my ctp on sunday, but i still couldnt renew my rego tuesday, due to the payment still under pending transaction. How long do i hv to wait for renew my rego?

Ashlee P

If you paid by BPay the banks can take up to 4 business days to process your payment. If you have the receipt number and a copy of your bank statement showing the transaction the RTA should accept it. Good luck.

Hazara
Hazara · Car Insurance

Hi please can you tell me about expiry date of car insurance of RII 619?

Ashlee P

Call AAMI 132244. They are open 24/7. Someone will be able to assist you.

no luck with aami · Car Insurance

If your car is unregistered and stolen are you still covered by insurace?

Chrissie89
Chrissie89

No, your vehicle must be registered.

no luck with aami

what if is registered but rego suspended by police for roadworthy but car stolen before got fixed ? rego paid till june , full comprehensive insurance ???

Still covered

Annette
Annette

What happens if the plate number doesnt match the vehicle model on the summery report.

Concerned Granny
Concerned Granny · Car Insurance

CTP premium has increased 14.4% vs last year. Same car, same drivers and no claims. I would be interested in knowing what other policy holders' premium increases were. I have renewed but will obtain quotes from other insurers when I am renewing my Comprehensive. Concerned Granny

atelier
atelier

Hi there, You should ask, and even if the other car is insured with your partner's name it the most policies will not accept it because the involved party lives in the same household. That's it and in regards the% I wouldn't know, I am just an average uneducated consumer! Good luck if you have a time to even deal with it.

Steve
Steve · Car Insurance

I have fully comp insurance with AAMI and recently my vehicle crashed into my own home. AAMI are telling me the car is covered but not the property damage and i have to claim on home insurance. If it was a third party property it would be covered though. The PDS states third party property is covered but that's it! No reference to your own home in the PDS and AAMI could not tell me or show me anywhere in the PDS that my house was not covered!! Am still challenging, any advice or someone with same incident?

The Doctor
The Doctor

Hey mate,

Unfortunately, AAMI no longer have my confidence at all.

My advice would be to speak with consumer affairs.

I found them very helpful.

Otherwise get some legal advice.

Or that exhausted, lodge something official with Financial Ombudsman service on 1300 78 08 08

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

The Doctor.

Mak H

If you don't have contents insurance, then you're liable for any damage, not aami. Simple as

Cvn

Correct AAMI can't cover your own property it only covers your car and damage you are legally liable for- how can you be legally liable for damaging your own house?

Dee Pee Dee
Dee Pee Dee · Car Insurance

Hi AAMI,

I had an accident 10 day back and I am not the member of AAMI but the car who hit me was insured with AAMI and my car was taken by AAMI to repair and I am given a hire car for use but the problem is that I just called yesterday about my car repair but they told me that that have just started yesterday they will take till 30 of this month which I can't wait so what I suggest will AAMI can pay me the repair cost instead of repairing and I just stop repairing and just put my car in dump yard? Reply me ASAP

Bruce
Bruce

Hi - I am not from AAMI. You need to ask them.

Kristyna M.

You should be able to keep the hire car for the duration of the repair but only if its offered and the car not booked out and avail for hire. Ask them if you can continue using their vehicle until yours is repaired.if you're not at fault I do not see an issue with this. you need transport to get to work. You also didn't ask to he hit. If not your fault.

Kristyna M.

PS. And why would you do something that radical like dumping your car because they can't fix it in time, even though you're supplied a hire car. In my opinion they're being More than fair & reasonable.

Cvn

You would need to request a cash settlement - they won't settle though if repairs have been authorised

Laliporras
Laliporras · Car Insurance

HI, where can I see the car repairs list under AAMI?

connorlo
connorlo

sorry not sure what you are asking? Are you after a list of repairs they cover?

Unc Tisdell
Unc Tisdell · Car Insurance

Do I have choice of repairer with aami or do I have to go where aami? tell me. thank u

Melissa
Melissa

I have just changed to GIO and you can choose who repairs your car. With AAMI you can only use companies that are listed as AAMI repairers.. When I got my car fixed last they referred me to a place in brookvale that I didn't want to go to.. So I found a place over the road from my work that could do repairs with AAMI, I called and asked if I could switch repairers. As I had selected I wanted to use this repairer I had to get 3 quotes from other companies and get an online assessment they then allowed me to use this repairer.. It was a lengthy process.. If who you want to use to fix your car isn't listed as a AAMI repairer.. I don't think they will be able to do the work unfortunately.

Naeem
Naeem

It depends on fault.Aami will take minimum 1 month.so if u hurry then find out another repairer.

NotANubeAnymore
NotANubeAnymore

Answering for all others who may want to know. AAMI does not let you go to other repairers. You may argue with them, but they make the process so hard that in the end you would prefer going with their repairers. I recently had an accident when an uninsured driver rear-ended my car. While AAMI asked me to go to their repairer, I also took second opinion from other workshops. All I heard was, AAMI won't let you come to us even if we give you a better quote in terms of time and money.

AAMI's repairers are usually over-worked and always have big backlog. Once your car is in there, you won't see it for over a month. If you have a disagreement with the repairer, AAMI will wash its hands of it. Their argument is,"We are only paying for the repair; otherwise it is between you and the repairer."

So, what's the upshot? Stay away from AAMI.

The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission

The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) administer the Competition & Consumer Act 2010. This is the law that replaced the old Trade Practices Act. They are responsible for the overall regulation of general business transactions including in relation to consumer transactions. However, they are also responsible for ensuring businesses do not engage in anti competitive practices including what are known as illegal ‘exclusive dealing’ arrangements or ‘full line forcing’ or ‘third line forcing’ practices. In relation to car insurance claims this means they can take action where insurance companies try to force a customer to use a particular repairer. Such behaviour (with a few exceptions) is generally illegal and if an insurer is found guilty of such conduct it can ultimately result in very large fines being imposed. This is important to consumers and businesses as it relates to your freedom to choose a repairer you are confident will do the repair properly and not cut corners.

If you feel that a car insurer is telling you you have no choice but to use their repairer, or is using clearly unreasonable pressure to push you into using their ‘recommended repairer’ you can lodge a complaint to the ACCC at :

www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/consumer-complaint-form

or call the ACCC on 1300 302 502.

# If you feel that an insurer has acted in this way & wish to lodge a complaint with the ACCC on this basis, then in your correspondence you should make sure that you refer to your belief that s.47 Competition & Consumer Act 2010 had been contravened in this regard.

shazzas68
shazzas68 · Car Insurance

I recently crashed my car, made a claim & paid the $450 excess.

My car was promptly assessed and i was advised it was a 'fixable ride off'.

I received a call a week later in regards to settling my claim and was advised they would be deducting $690 from my payout for the policy premium! I questioned this and was advised that as i paid my premium monthly this amount was for the remaining 10 months of the policy! It doesn't seem right to me (or others i spoke with) that i have to continue paying insurance for a car that will not be registered or on the road? I am basically paying for a service i can't receive!!

mollyc
mollyc

This happened to me with AAMI too. Apparently when you buy insurance, even if only paying monthly, you have to pay for the whole year and not just the time you've used.

Cvn

The premium is the price for a years cover its not a monthly contract read the pds its clear

olivia dolden
olivia dolden · Car Insurance

Is it normal that when your car is a total write off. Apart from paying excess aami will also deduct the rego and green slip? Do all insurers do this

John406
John406

I suggest you read the PDS for your policy terms. Some policy terms provide for deduction of rego and 3rd party insurance as this is part of the value of car and only you can apply for refund from rego and insurance company. This very issue is a source of confusion and complaints, so again I strongly suggest you read pdf. while I had not had writeoff, AAMI advised that my pollicy terms allow no deduction, but AAMI will collect refund of unused portion from rdgo and 3rd party insurance. Hope this helps

Roy
Roy

Yes all insurance companies do it. Rego is part of the value of your on road roadworthy car .

charlie
charlie · Car Insurance

When I completed a quote on line and entered my neighbours unit number instead of my own the difference between quotes was over $150 .. its like less than 10 meters away... same driveway and still garaged .. I think it was because there system saw it as a new quote due to the address not being flagged by there system as previously insured address!!! Why punish people that have insured with them for years by making them pay more ... why pay to hold your rating one policy when you should be rewarded for being a good driver... where's the customer loyalty gone??? No doubt if I stop insuring with them they will be right on to me with a better deal ... should have given it to me from the start ...

kezza
kezza

I have learnt not yo pay the premium they mail out to you, go onto their website and get a quote using the exact same details on the renewal it will come up cheaper, then phone them to price match it. My original renewal price was 495, online was 429, they reduced it to 429 after I phoned them to complain. When I added my teenage daughter they tried to rip me off, $1100 compared to racq 600.

They did not value me as a customer so I have told them to stick it.

I hate insurance companies!

Carlolo

Yes - many corporates use this sneaky & dishonest bully tactic. Bigest colpurits are: utility providers, banks, telecommunication companies, ISPs & yours truly, AAMI. It does not matter if you catch them out, as you said, they will adjust their quote to retain your business, but be careful - the following year AAMI will significantly devalue your vehicle & significantly increase your premium once again.

vildana
vildana · Car Insurance

Does aami use new parts to your car?

Ketan Shah
Ketan Shah

Tkmel

They only use Original equipment Manufacturers parts however if car outside warranty can use second hand parts

sam
sam · Car Insurance

I have some hail damaged recently noticed after the November storm.Can I still lodge a claim?

Tkmel

Yes the statute of limitations is applicable for 7 years however you of course must have had a policy in place at the time of the hail

mrs j allen
mrs j allen · Car Insurance

I insured my car with aami last year and was quoted $4o 19 per month ive just received a policy renewal which is 49$per month can you please tell me why? my policy number is mpaoo4341771 phone 0411447876

Need to vent or complime
Need to vent or complime

Because it's a renewal. Everyone gets screwed on renewal. Welcome to the club

Kabomb123
Kabomb123 · Car Insurance

Car was recently written off ( I was not at fault) , I am with AAMI does anyone know how long it takes to get money from the pay out?

James
James

From my experience with them over the past 4 weeks, possibly never!

Once the assessor has submitted the wov r about 7 days

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

Select a listing for your question
AAMI Car Insurance