AAMI Car Insurance

AAMI Car Insurance (page 2 of 55)

2.0 from 1,085 reviews

Once a great insurer now the bottom of the heap!

I have a brand new $131,000 car. Unfortunately got the rear window broken and a small chip in the tailgate. Car is garaged in Queenscliff. But now I find out that AAMI has shut its Geelong repair and assessment facilities. So off I go 140 Kms to Melbourne. The jobs done and it looks like a four year old child did it. The car's name was replaced and it is so wonky it's an embarrassment to drive the car. The paint job was of a similar standard. By the way, I paid extra for glass replacement but was still charged $650 excess.

The repair shop agrees that its a poor job but I want to go somewhere else.

So I complain to AAMI - promises but no response. Next day, I send photos on the online claim site. Still no response. After an hour of deflection on the phone and "sorry your not happy" and an hour of hearing "You're so lucky you're with AAMI" - really?

So they want me to drive 140 kms to an assessor and 140 kms back because they don't service anywhere except the Melbourne eastern suburbs.

Then I'll have to drive 140 kms there and 140 kms back for it to be repaired.

All up 840 kms for a new rear window and a scratch repair at the closest AAMI approved repairer - do they own it? Because no one else seems to do their repairs anymore?. Best outcome - two days wasted.

And they still won't agree to redo the obviously terrible repair job on my brand new car!

Do not go, I repeat, Do not go to AAMI under any circumstances.

5 years ago they were great. Now just an overseas call centre with low ball repairers and diversion and frustration strategies.

The orange peel respray makes it look as if the paint is peeling, the lettering looks like I did myself in the dark on the way back from the pub. They have destroyed my new car!

Car ModelLand Rover Discovery 5 SE SD6
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateApril 2019

Worst insurance ever

Very worst customer service.i have cancelled my car insurance just because of their rude behaviour on their phone.cant understand their english.they hang up the phone when we are talking to them

Worst insurer

I made a claim after having a stressful accident. Four months later, they are still investigating me. Four months later, After I’ve submitted endless documentation to prove myself something or other, they still can’t tell me where my car is and are undertaking a ‘forensic investigation’. It has been months of stress and week to week with no car I keep checking with no useful information. There is no result in sight.

Car ModelToyota Corolla ZRE172R

Money never well spent.

If your car is more than 50000 dollars, dont choose Aami. They have treated me like a second class citizen/criminal, with investigations ongoing. They cant even say where my car is!!

POOR SERVICE

it seems that all of a sudden the customer service has dropped significantly. Very disappointed because we never ever had such a bad service before.
1. Failure to email renewal documents even though they confirmed 3 times
2. Huge delay in refunding a cancelled policy and still waiting!

Not sure what it is or whether Suncorp became involved but we have three cars insured by AAMI and we would be cancelling all of them.

used to be a great product with great customer service now we have to repeat from the start our case.....sounds familiar when dealing with telecommunications companies!!

Claim MadeNo

Worst Insurance Company Ever!!!!!!

I put a car claim upon an accident with them and they haven't even had the car moved to their repairer for a week now!! The car hasn't been touched.

Car ModelVolkswagen Golf

Happy with AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance

I have had AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance on my Kia Rio since I bought it in 2012 and have been happy with their willingness to give me a discount for being a good driver. My previous car was written off in an accident and they paid it all back to me so was happy with that. Their phone staff have always been helpful with me so I've been happy with that.

Car ModelKia Rio
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks

Completed disappointed

Completely disappointed with my car insurance claim. We were not at fault. The claims people just said if we came out to a large street from a small street you are autocratically at fault. So you expect us to to never come out of a small street?
Don’t expect us to use AAMI ever again and will recommend anyone against this company who asks. Happy to move to another insurance company and even pay more to not deal with these people. Lucky I won’t be with AAMI.

Claim DateApril 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Very happy with aami car insurance

Have had aami insurance for over twelve years and have had two family cars written off in this time and they have been great with follow up each time. Highly recommend.

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

18 years with AAMI. Always paid on time. When it came to claim. I did the running around and give them proof

They emailed all my personal details to the 3rd party involved. After the 5th follow up call, They said the investigation consultant put the wrong email address on your file.
I was angry and screaming but not swearing as I work for a call center for another company so I kept it as professional as possible. The operator then told me :You will loose this case because of your behavior.

Claim ApprovedNo

Hide main things when you sign up

I was involved in an accident and the car was written off. They rang me and said that we are going to give you the agreed value. But we will be deducting the remaining premium money in my case 7 months worth of insurance premium. Also that wasn't end so they also claimed left over registration on car which is 11 months.
So in the end i paid total of 1800 including the excess.
No one told me all this until something happened.

Ripping people of by hiding the truth and what they will sign you up with.

Car ModelToyota Camry
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMarch 2019

Unlucky with AAMI

Vehicle was an economical write off through theft but perfectly driveable.
The pay out was less than market rate as can be expected with insurance companies but I purchased the vehicle back for salvage as its perfectly driveable and not been crashed.
Its taken over 72 hours for them to organise a tow from the holding yard and still no end in sight.
Between incompetent AAMI and their tow truck vendors and the salvage yard I wouldnt trust any of them to sit the correct way around on a toilet seat.
I would like to allocate ZERO stars
AVOID this company and take your business else where.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Car Modelmazda
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

A company that only cares about themselves and what they will NOT pay.

Customer service (claim team) is based in the Philippines, but claim is processed onshore. What this means is the people who take your claim on the phone provide you wrong advises that leads to disappointment when claim is being processed by a completely different, yet company biased standard. Their policy on what’s paid and what’s not paid is very mean and biased, basically their payment is based on the rationale of “you shouldn’t be better off from the claim” (word to word quote from their claim processing specialist), and obviously it’s none of their business that you’re worse off because “that’s life”(as above). I was given an example on the provision of replacement vehicle during repair: “ we do like for like replacement in car hire, if your car is a Corrola, we are not going to hire you a BMW” (Ok, fair enough). When I asked that if my car is a BMW that’s going in for repair, does this mean I could hire a luxury car such as BMW as a like for like replacement? the answer was “well a BMW is very expensive to hire”, in another word, NO. A company that is driven by a culture as such Is willing to sacrifice a lot to beef up their profit, and that includes your trust and hard earned money. So Unless youre certain that you’ll never make a claim, RUN, as far away as you can.

Car ModelBMW 3 Series
Claim DateMarch 2019

Terrible

SO BAD IT'S ALMOST CRIMINAL.
You may save a little money on your policy, but heaven help you if you ever need to make a claim. You're better off paying a bit more for a reputable insurance company. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Claim DateNovember 2018

Unlucky To Be With AAMI

AAMI called me to advise that my claim was declined, because I had cancelled my insurance policy, something which had certainly not done! The person I spoke with then put me on hold while they double check, and surprise surprise there was an error and my policy was still actually active- however they were still declining my claim. Stay away from this insurance company, they are your best friend while taking money from you but try to claim and they will ignore you, provide shocking service, and treat people with complete discontent... I was very UNLUCKY to be with AAMI!!

Claim DateNovember 2018

AAMI has zero customer service

AAMI you have kept me on hold for so long that I have time to search the review sites, choose one and write this review. 45 minutes I have waited and have just been told "someone will get back to you within 24-48hours". This is exactly why I called today . Sixteen days ago you told me that my claim had been escalated and that I would be called back within 24-48hours. Do you people think that by not calling or helping that I will go away? I have purchased insurance through AAMI for car, home and contents for many years and this is the treatment that you think I deserve? The quote that I have been given to replace my vehicle was $6,537. The car, according to all available sites which I know you use to source your value as the assessor explained this to me, should be given a value in excess of $9,000. The car was in mint condition, no scratches or dents. In fact if I were to go to the AAMI website and enter my details , irrespective of the condition of the car, you would accept a value of $9,600 for insurance. I need to replace the car with an equivalent vehicle not one that the greedy assessors think 'will do'.

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage

AAMI you're a joke

My car was written off by another vehicle while parked. AAMI assessors have given me ridiculously low quotes to replace my vehicle. I have asked for my claim to be escalated and as a result a self gratifying and patronising person called me in attempt to talk me down in price.I wondered why the tow truck driver warned me to be ready for AAMI to beat me down in price. Now I know what he meant. I have asked for my claim to be escalated further and have now been waiting on hold for 25minutes. Once I have this resolved I will be taking all our vehicle and home and contents insurance elsewhere. Never to return!
AAMI you're a joke.

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage
Claim ApprovedYes

Wanted insurance on two cars. Was offered appalling market values almost half what another company gave me.... 1 star!!!

Paid 33000 for a car worth 34000 to 40000 and was only offered insurance covering it for 22000 and second car is valued at 18000 and was told could only insure it for 5000. got a far better deal elsewhere

Don't buy this insurance

This people are charging money unnecessarily. If you put direct debit they will add any amount of money their policy and get from your account as they did same to me. So better to stay away from this company. Don't get into their trap.

Best Phone Call With AAMI Insurance - Made Me Laugh abit

So I was rear ended by an uninsured car and started a claim with AAMI as my policy covers that sort of accident especially when i am not at fault.

Long story short, i got a call from AAMI saying they would like to take my car in for repairs and the moment i said " thank you, he has been pretty unco-operative'' she told me hold the phone and then said we cant send the car for repairs literally in the same phone call where they called me to choose a repairer hahaha they're dodgy but funny so it balances out

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Claim DateOctober 2017
Claim ApprovedNo

Hi, I have purchased car insurance with AAMI. I will be lending my car to a friend for 2 weeks in December. Will my car still be covered? My friend is over 25 years of age. Kind regards, Sally
Hi Best thing to do is call them and put your friends name on the policy

I pay thousands of insurance to aami each year having 3 cars several houses 2 businesses I am absolutely in the service of my car claims that I need for one of my businesses first they had me being responsible for car rentals as they didn't advise the car rental place and keep them upto dates with repairs now I am doing paperwork and going through bank statements and have realised that the claim was made on the 18 nov 2018 aami took out 695 excess from my bank on the 22 nov 2018 and then at the completion of the job also took the 695 excess from the payout figure that was left to pay out the car so I in fact have paid two excesses for one claim and now am on the phone arguing with them if I will get it back they have made an illegal debit of the excess on my card provided for monthly payments after I specifically said no I would pay excess when I pick up car which I did 48 mins now on the phone and they are arguing with me that they don't have to pay back 695 which is all clearly stated in bank statements and invoices and also they can see on the computer they did take the illegal payment out I think we have made a big mistake being with this insurance company after we were also ripped off by gio and now I find out they are the same really just ridiculous I will be changing the rest of my insurances
They all are from a same boat mate. My car was written off and aami charger me for the excess, remaining registration (11 months) and remaining insurance money(7 months). I also was with them 3 years so in total i ended up paying more than they gave me $3500.I was told by aami rep when a claim is made we still have to pay excess until its proven that we were not at fault regardless if the other party admits fault or not. But after more than 17 years I will never look at aami again. They lost 2 house insurance ( my mum and me ) 3 cars (my mum, me and my partners) All because of the horrible service they gave. "No loyalty when you're with aami" should be the slogan

My car ran out of rego last week was just about to re register and it got hit my hail Today badly I have full comprehensive insurance am I still covered???
That is absolutely untrue trojan horse, but I do appreciate the laugh from your misspelling of whether, considering the question. If the car was parked on private property at the time it was damaged then you are covered. If you were driving at the time, or even parked on a public road, and they know it was unregistered, they will not pay and will have the legal right not to as it was not legally allowed to be on the road and you were actually committing a crime when it was damaged. Apart from the PDS probably stating you must have registration on it to make the policy valid, I would imagine it won't take long to find the clause stating that you are not covered if you are committing a crime at the time the vehicle is damaged. I recently insured an unregistered vehicle and it was pointed out to me that until it was registered, they would only pay any claim where it was not on a road at the time (eg. it got stolen from my driveway or weather damage while parked in the driveway like in your case). On a side note, I would pay closer attention to keeping up on registration. You could be pulled up 60 seconds after it runs out and the fine is $600 upwards here in SA. Also, no matter the circumstances of any accident, you are at fault and not covered by insurance. Some hole in a Mercedes rear ends you at the lights while not paying attention because he is counting all his money while sipping his latte or something, and suddenly you're the one struggling to pay off a luxury car, never having actually owned it. Hardly worth risking over the effort involved in setting an alarm on your phone to repeat every 3 months, say 1 week before your registration runs out, or something similar to remind you. Regardless, you'll be fine since the car was stationary in the driveway, right? *wink*

Car Insurance
Contact Number 13 22 44
Online Live Chat Yes
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage OfferedComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party and Third Party Property Damage
Roadside Assistance OfferedYes