How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 3+ months (15)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (95) · No

Erick

ErickGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Disappointed experience in the progress of claims

I have been with AAMI almost for 10 years - the latest claim was very disappointed and unpleasant experience. Inconsistent information delivered by the customer care officers - they thrown you to here and there officers. Every time I need to mentioned to put notes in the system, so I don't need to explain from the beginning again - and be prepare for long waiting call. It was really unpleasant experience.

Liss

LissSeaford

INCOMPETENT

Had an accident paid the excess 2 weeks ago then received a letter saying we had not paid it We asked for a receipt from AAMI when we paid it, which never CAME!. Told first guy [name removed] we had paid it. Made us feel like liers. Got the receipt number from the bank. Rang back with receipt number and again made to feel like we were lying. WELL IT TURNS OUT.... that THEY WERE INCORRECT.... WE DID PAY IT... In their stupidity they paid the $650 to our insurance policy not the excess. WE WANT AN APOLOGY... No we are not lucky we are with AAMI and very soon will not be!!!!!

Omer

Omermelbourne

Never Never Never Aami Please Stay Away

Please do not use AAMI, They do not allow you take your car to your preferred mechanic. They will forward your car to cheap mechanics which do really cheap job.

Mark S

Mark SSydney

Fantastic

I've been with AAMI for some 20 years now (different cars in that time). I've had 2 at fault accidents, 1 not at fault accident and two hail claims. AAMI has always come though for me and never disputed the claims.

Whilst AAMI's handling of the claims wasn't perfect, over all it was very good and wound't feel right taking a star away for it.

I have no problems recommending AAMI.

Chetan

ChetanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible !!!

Worst !!!!!!!!!!!
Called them several times in past few days. Communication error within their team. Different answer from different people and some people had no idea even after reading notes in account and they keep giving different information. As i got promised yesterday and again this morning after i spoke to different department that accesor will definitely call me today. No call from anyone. When called again today got told no guarantee for timeframe from accesor as its still under review.

Just took my 2nd car policy with them yesterday but definitely will cancel it.

RichardP

RichardPGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Competitive pricing and good claims handling

I am not loyal to any insurance company and always get 3 quotes each year.
We have three polices with AAMI giving us a multi policy discount. The renewals for our two cars from AAMI came in second cheapest. We decided to renew with AAMI because we had 3 not at fault claims in the last two years and each time AAMI handled the process very well.

Surfaone

SurfaoneSydney, NSW

Recommended insurer

K Mc

K McPerth, WA

Customer Null and Void Once Vehicle Written Off

Shane

Shane

Fantastic response to our car accident

A young guy reversed into our car and damaged the front badly. We contacted AAMI expecting an issue as we had no proof and could have been accused of us causing a rear end. They were fantastic to action repairs immediately with no excess charged. Very pleasantly surprise with loads of updates and info on status of claim and repairs.

Sean

SeanSydney, NSW

Impressed with AAMI's handling of a claim

I completed an exhaustive analysis on which insurerer to go with. AAMI were mid table on premium alone, 20% more expensive than the cheapest. The main reason I paid a premium to go with AAMI was their reputation for paying out on valid claims. Within two weeks of having my insurance I was side swiped by a truck. Within an hour of the accident, and my confirmation of the driver at fault, AAMI had covered my claim, and had booked my car in to get assessed the next morning! This reduced the stress of a collision considerably. I recieved my car back, repairs were first class on my metallic paint Mercedes-Benz.

Erle W.

Erle W.Far North Queensland, QLD

Can't do enough for you!

I have been insured by AAMI for around 20 years and had a few claims, not all my fault, but had 2 write offs due to flood damage. No questions, just fixed and paid out. They may not have been always as quick as I would have liked, but there were no problems, all fixed. The preferred window repairer shafted me, so I will not go near O'Brien's again, but AAMI deserves five stars. Looking at other reviews, there are 2 sides to every story, but AAMI has always been great for communication and support.

Allen

AllenGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Has a Positive experience

AAMI, worst insurer

Hi,
I am just warning anyone with a new or near new prestige vehicle with an AAMI comprehensive insurance.
AAMI does not have a preferred repairer capable of repairing a prestige vehicle that has been involved in any major accident that requires a major repair that includes welding panels.
AAMI will allow the vehicle to be repaired disregarding what the manufacture specify.
They will cut corners on the repair to save money.
Please do yourself a favour and pick an insurer that has a choice of repairer and don't make the same mistake I did.

Simon M

Simon MSydney

Very Professional

Made me feel extremely at ease. Very professional, easy process. What could’ve been very stressful was very painless. Highly recommended. Most people only leave reviews when they’ve had bad experiences, so I think AAMI’s score is unjustified.

coyotetk

coyotetkCanberra

After I made a windscreen claim they put my policy up by $200

I made a windscreen claim with AAMI last year and it was repaired quickly with no issues, as expected. However, when my policy came up for renewal this year the premium was $200 higher and the car value was lower than last year (obviously with depreciation). I rang up to ask about this and the customer service officer told me that the premium would have gone up because I made a claim on the windscreen. So I pay AAMI for the service of covering me but then get charged again when AAMI actually have to come good on their side.

I was also told that the car is covered for full market value, but then why would AAMI put a price on the policy.

When I expressed how wrong this seemed she offered me a discount of around $130.

AMD

AMDGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

The best Insurance company I have dealt with

I had to make a claim on my car. The girl on the phone made it seem very easy. They booked the mechanic the next day. They even paid for my cab home. They are a great company to deal with

Neil Odonnell

Neil OdonnellPerth, WA

No Fault claim Car Repairable write off with no communication

Car was reversed into whilst parked. Used my insurance company AAMI as thought it would be quicker and easier to deal with. After one call car was taken, after missing a call, I returned the call back to AAMI only to find car had been written off. Totally gutted as car was great little car with minimal damage (but deemed uneconomical to repair) only used once a week and cared for carefully from nearly new. Communication was terrible (Sorry non existent) and was not even offered the chance to pay the extra $800 to fix the car. Now i have to find a car with cost and inconvenience to myself. Lucky I was with AAMI

Hardy

HardyNew South Wales

AAMI is the best insurance company ever dealt with

My car was stolen recently. Contacted AAMI and the response I received was excellent. The customer care executive was very kind and polite. She organised a rental car for me. They gave me genuine updates when I contacted them. My car was written off and AAMI transferred the agreed amount of money to my account with out delay. I recommend AAMI to my friends and family.

Kian

Kian

You not lucky with them. False advertise

Dont trust them specifically over the phone always ask for documents and what they say in writing.

I have 4 cars insured with them will cancel all policy after done with them.

Thumbs down aami

AAMI is disgusting

This is an absolute disgusting insurance that I have ever been into, they do not understand and help you out all they say is that “that’s the policy” I don’t know why people is insured with them. It’s wast of time spending more then an hour on the phone and getting no help. It feels like they’re just using people and they don’t even know what the market value is they just find some cheaper value and tell you that’s all I can help with absolutely disgusting. People stop wasting your money and time with a insurance that doesn’t even value nothing

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage