How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 1-2 weeks (11)
    • 2-4 weeks (16)
    • 1-2 months (24)
    • 3+ months (43)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (58) · No (40)

Sue

SueSydney, NSW

Still have to pay insurance policy even when car written off

Car insured with AAMI for 5 years. Car in accident and written off. When accessing the claim amount they deducted the remaining 4 months insurance for a car that doesn't exist. Are you serious. Sure charge a cancellation fee but don't charge all the remaining insurance for a car that is gone to the Car Gods.

Max B.

Max B.South East Queensland, QLD

AAMI do not honour their PDS

AAMI have denied my insurance claim based on an irrelevant exclusion in their PDS. According to AAMI, they do not cover a stolen car claim if the car was for sale at the time it was stolen! This is contrary to their PDS (which logically excludes cover AFTER the car has been sold) and should go as a fair warning to anyone considering AAMI as an insurer. They have been slow to acknowledge and process the clam and continue to draw it out as long as possible. I am now being forced to go to AFCA for a fair outcome.

Bej

Bejbrisbane

AAMI does not

No value for money ,they have worked hard not to help.AAMI like to hide key information in the back pages. I do not trust them and will not use them again.

Courtney

CourtneyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Aami Left us for Dead! Zero care for human beings.

Stephanie

StephanieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Can't believe I did not cancel them the first time.

Charlie N.

Charlie N.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Terrible services

I bought a new policy over the phone and the women made not one but two mistakes. She entered my email wrong so I couldn't receive my documents so I have to call them again. She also entered my DOB wrong, I said 1992 but she entered 1982, I could not understand how the 9 sounds to be 8??? And then I have to pay $40 to just change my DOB on the policy which I only receive after I made a payment, they refuse to send a quote before I made a payment over the phone. Another woman called Stephanie just explained to me she listened to the call from her side couple of times and she confirmed I said 8, not 9, and refuse to let me hear the call. Such ridiculous. I will change to another provider after my policy expires with AAMI>

V Kim

V KimSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst experience Ive ever had

The service I received and the entire duration of the claim was so bad I ended up selling my car, I couldnt stand it any more because they ruined it.
I was rear ended in sep 2019 and it took them 6 months to get my car repaired and back to me in a safe, drive-able condition. They were horrid to deal with and I went through about 6 different people during my claim.

shamsuddin

shamsuddinCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

poor and lazy service

very terrible and poor service of aami car insurance.. My care was stolen two month ago..... still claim has not resolved yet. I dont know what they want to prove. I have been suffering without a car. but they dont have feeling of any suffering ..
whenever i called them , they have only one answer.. the claim in in process with the investigation. although, they have debited basic premium on the 1st day of claim...

poor service ..

Corner cutting repairs (WHISTLEBLOWER INFO)

Claudia Morgan

Claudia MorganSydney, NSW

Not lucky to be with AAMI

Hosan

HosanGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Not repairing my car,it’s more than 3 weeks,no more longer better service,go somewhere else,0422283475

Not repairing my car,paid access already,will complain relevant authorities,for unfair trading,I will also complain to disputes resolution team,then court remedies,may be they refuse 50% claim,that’s there profit,there advertising and product description not matching

Kamal Sharma

Kamal SharmaSydney, NSW

Worst Service ever.

Don't go for it. Its a scam. Only taking your money for apologies no Service ever. Worst customer Service n worst Assistance. Worst worst Service ever. Customer Service dosen't have any solution

You don't get what you pay for.

I have been with AAMI for 8 years and their staff are all very sympathetic and friendly but you get passed from one operator to the next who often tell you that it is not their department. Most correspondence is verbal (even though I asked for it in writing, so there could be no confusion). My car was written off at no fault of my own and I am still greatly out of pocket. I will not be insuring with them again.

Kathleen S.

Kathleen S.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

SEXIST PREMIUM If you remove a man from your policy your premium GOES UP!

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE USELESS

Terrible staff. They all tell you something different and only half of the information took them three days to email me about payment, never got email reset link, and they upped my payment to monthly without informing me and gave me a final notice even though my contract says 14 days from first declined payment. Oh and the money for the fortnightly payment has been in the account since the due date? USELESS.

Izzyiz
Izzyiz

Doug NTownsville

Unbelievable experience. Absolutely disgraceful and shonky.

gadget709765

gadget709765sydney

Always having website errors when getting car quotes and also had a bad experience 10 years ago. Would NOT recommend

FionaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Expensive Cost

Decided to review my car insurance to save money during COVID hard times. Aami insured my car for $1300 per year for agreed value $2600. Got insured with some else for $860 including windscreen repair, free car hire and road side assist and my car value went up to $6000 ! My elderly parents asked for a discount from Aami and all they got was $90 discount but they had the cheek to increase the excess by the same amount so infact NO discount. Disappointed that they treat customers like this. I will be getting them to change insurance companies too.
My advise is to not be complacent with what you are charged- search the internet for a better deal.

Dave

DaveCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Unlucky I was with AAMI

Got renewal, agreed value had dropped a lot, premium was still the same. Took 5 minutes to search the web, got insured for 3000 more value for 300 less premium and excess dropped 150. Wish I had never signed up with AAMI.

Sally

SallySouthwest, VIC

AAMI are the worst insurance company I've dealt with.

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage