How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
  • Claim Resolution Time
    • 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No (1)

Poor communication and ridiculous fee increases when I moved interstate

I insured my car with AAMI (TPP, fire, theft) for 5 years, then when I moved from QLD to NSW they more than doubled the premium. When I cancelled in favour of a (much) cheaper insurer, they charged a $30 fee and didn't refund certain portions of my payment (even though they had previously told me I would be refunded the full amount). Communication was sloppy, at one point they sent me a document that referenced my car on one page and a different car on the next.
That said, they tend to respond quickly to phone calls (but if you do get stuck on hold, you get the AAMI add on repeat!)

Stuzzy

StuzzySydney

customer service

Still waiting for my renewal notice by email 24 hours after request and going to my daughters home to receive it as I don't have a computer

Insurance claim madeNo

got there in the end

Poor service

Disgusting wait times I find the claiming process so stressful at a time when people are stressed enough over an hour to get through and no return call service

Bob77

Bob77AU

Used to be good now 30-40min call waiting time and high premiums on car insurances.

Been with them for over 10 years. This last year was a nightmare to speak with anybody everytime I called them. 40min waiting time at the phone and still not answer not matter the department I called. I have two cars with them and switching them over to a different insurer. Good there are many of them to choose from. When someone finally answered was really hard to understand her due to the extremelly strong accent. Clearly the call center has been outsorced in some cheap asian country. What is happening in Australia??

jophilipsGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Ok But Leaning Towards Disappointed.

jophilips

For some reason, the positive review I posted a few months ago has been removed. Weird.

Useless

M r

M radelaide

Ridiculous..saying something doing something

I was not on fault but I was asked to pay the access and will pay me back once they find the other party but now saying we didn't mean that we will find the other party.. sham n damn to their call attending crew that don't define rules accurately or don't know it themselves to how to understand and define it..

Sunil

Sunil

Run Around For Smash Repairers And Claim Assessment

AAMI claims has blamed myself and other person involved in an accident. The other person reversed out of the car park without looking. When it came down to do the claim originally AAMI said both parties were at fault. That took a while to sort out eventually. Now finding an approved smash repairer has been a waste of time as a person living in western Sydney going to a repairer then to the city to work is not convenient. Why can't we get a trusted repairer just like how NRMA. I would have been able to get a quote and fixed locally without hassle. I know I won't renew with AAMI. Painful, time wasting process. Improve your process to be convenient for customers.

Mark

Mark

I Really Don't See What's LUCKY Being With AAMI

I had my very first accident after 35 years of driving. It's now been 11 days since the accident and was advised that I would be contacted between 4 to 5 days, do you think I've heard from AAMI?
What a real joke this company is, especially when I've been a loyal member for over 15 years and always paid my policy in full each year.
This company is only good for one thing and that's taking your money, but when it comes to them paying you... forget it.
I will no longer be an AMMI member after this disgusting experience.
AAMI you really suck!!!

Bruce

BruceMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

No Love for Current Customers

Insurance claim madeNo
Appalled

AppalledMelbourne

I am unlucky I am with AAMI Car Insurance

I have been with AAMI for 20years I have had a car repaired in a recent claim. It was first taken to a repair shop which couldn't repair it we were originally told it would be 4 days . 4days later the car was towed to another repairer then 4 days later they told me it would be 5 days . I was then informed it could be picked up 2 days later and now another 2 days . I am not lucky I am with AAMI I am really unlucky it has been 3 weeks for this repair. it is a business car and it seems all the standards I have had in the past have not been met. I have a number of cars with AAMI I am going elsewhere with the next renewal.

mel

melRichmond-Tweed, NSW

unlucky youre with aami

during a claims process in which i was not at fault, they were difficult to deal with and i spent at least 20minutes on hold every time i tried to call.furthermore, their online services were poor. i was told to update and add details to the claim online however this was not possible. when i emailed to ask about this, there was no reply. they were very blunt and short during this stressful and difficult time. it also took them over a week to authorise repairs to commence on my car and were unhelpful and when enquiring as to the process of claiming a hire car and other entitlements.

Dismal and dodgy

Just put in a claim with AAMI, only minimal damage. They were very quick to take the excess payment but then refused to deal directly with with the repairer. I have to pay the repair bill upfront as well as the excess. They will then reimburse me if they consider the repair fair and reasonable. Their claims are now all off shore and I would definitely say the customer service has taken a nose dive. I see a VCAT application pending!!

Unreliable

Jo

JoMelbourne

Customer service and records keeping are atrocious

I'm on my mum's AAMI insurance policy, but for the FOURTH time, my mum has to ring them to ask them to speak to me about the policy. They have no records of the fact that this authorisation has been made before, and the last time this happened (about two years ago), she asked them to make absolutely sure that this was on their records. They ASSURED her that it was. Lo and behold, I call them this morning and they refuse to speak to me because I'm not authorised. ARGH! Their customer service used to be polite and helpful, but it's now like dealing with call-centre robots who aren't remotely interested.

horrible

Failed to inform me that my insurance was cancelled after I missed a payment. I changed my credit card details and informed them telling them to direct debit on a certain date. They failed to put in this data and consequently my payment on the 23rd of December bounced. I was not informed that they had cancelled my insurance but what I was also annoyed at was the fact that they cancelled my house insurance as well without informing me.

Sue

SueQLD

Disappointed

I have always been happy when dealing with AAMI. But I had never made a claim before. Until recently. There was a problem with the claim and when i confronted them I was taken aback at the way they handled it, very defensive and unflexible. So disappointed. I thought AAMI was different but I guess I was naive to think that an insurance company would actually care about their customers interests like on the ad. I finally made a complaint and it has been resolved but not without leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. They made me feel like a fool for the entire process. I had to keep telling myself you have a right to complain and they have the duty as your insurer to fix the problem. Very distressful experience.

Maria

MariaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

From bad to worse customer service in 3 weeks

Not competitive if you are an existing customer

Been with AAMI for many years, never claimed on any policy yet premiums go up each year by $100's. If I get an on line quote using my neighbours address my premium is 50% less for the same car, just because they are not a AAMI customer. Excuses they give for this are about increased risk when nothing has changed and they even admit it is because they are a new customer. Basically existing AAMI customer pay excessive premiums and AAMI are not interest in retaining low risk customers. If you are looking for insurance then AAMI will give you a great quote and be very competitive as long as you have no policies with them but do not expect this to last.
Good policy
Cost of premiums going up excessively for no real reason. No longer affordable.

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage