How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
  • Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (3) · No (0)
Nathan O

Nathan OVictoria

Good so far.

I have had two dealings with AAMI one at fault and one not a fault, both relatively minor. They quickly repaired my vehicle the first time and have book it in this time for next week. I have had to fill in any lengthy claim forms both times. (Unlike NRMA who I used to be with)

Insurance claim madeYes
Jonas

JonasElwood

Good service so far

Only had a brief experience with them so far when our car broke down. But customer service was helpful and they got us tow truck and taxi with 30 mins so we could get on with business.

Insurance claim madeNo
Oxana

OxanaSydney, NSW

Surprisingly not that bad...

After reading all this negative reviews I didn't expect to see my car fixed any time soon after a minor accident.
Surprisingly all was pretty smooth.

I got my car fixed in one week after dropping in an assessment center of my choice. All repairs are decent thought I have doubts the original parts were used.
As a downside AAMI NEVER CALLED me regarding my claim. I have to call myself to organize the assessment, to find out a repairer address and then to track the repair progress.

Insurance claim madeYes

BaconLover

BaconLoverGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Someone bumped into my car whilst it was parked. Rang AAMI and got this fixed in 2 weeks. Only glitch I encountered was on the phone once when the lady ( overseas? phillipinoaccent) was really rude to me and would not 'listen' at all. Hung up the phone and talked to someone in Australia the next day (may be I was lucky to get one) and he gave me an option to solve the issue ( the person who caused the accident had no insurance. oops)
Anyways, all good now, the part got replaced and I don't have to worry about dealing with other people who would sometimes refuse to pay as they have no insurance. Thanks AAMi.

A little trouble at the start.

Barry RobertsCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Very Competitive

Had occasion to re market my Comprehensive cover this year. My current insurer increased the premium by some 15% with no reason why. AAMI was on the list and came out the most competitive with like with like terms and conditions. The worst was Youii who claim to have saved many $$ for their clients by being very competitive. While they insisted that I was a good ideal risk, their premium ended up nearly 50% dearer. Where do they get off with such claims???
Good service, competitive pricing and conditions
nothing

Barry Roberts

If they do they will lose my business. Simple as that!!!!

Andre

AndrePerth, WA

Claims were paid and settled OK, unaffordable premium increase.

nessjez

nessjez

Very smooth claim process

I just had a claim processed by AAMI after a truck reversed into my car at a petrol station, requiring the replacement of the front bumper. The whole process couldn't have gone smoother. I was booked in with the assessor and when I dropped the car off AAMI paid for a taxi home. I was called the next day to tell me the car would be 3-4 business days, and after 2 more days I was called to say the car was ready and would I like AAMI to pay for a cab to come and collect me. The repair itself is excellent.
We'll organised, good communication. No hanging around workshops waiting for quotes.
I had to wait two weeks for my assessment appointment. No earlier times were available.

Irina

IrinaCanberra

Not too bad, the outcome is what matters

I was in not-at-fault accident and my vehicle was written off by AAMI assessor. AAMI was prompt to replace the written-off vehicle with a new one. The only bad thing about the process is that you really need to call them a few times until they put you through to someone who knows their job. On a number of occasions I would hang up and call back immediately. It is amazing that two different AAMI staff can provide you with very different information. I would not recommend calling during lunch time (unless urgent) as the waiting time can be up to an hour!
Relatively inexpensive

Maxxi

MaxxiCairns

Lucky I'm with AAMI

I hit a median strip with the under carriage of my car last year. This caused a great deal of damage, including the air conditioner and timing belts. AAMI took some time to research the whole issue with the repairers etc, but paid for the whole damage, less my excess of course.
Claim was paid
Took some time

Alan1954

Alan1954Gippsland, VIC

AAMI Car Insurance

Roscoe63

Roscoe63South East Queensland, QLD

Lucky?

Good service, easy and quick claim. Repair work fair

We had our house and cars insured with AAMI when a major hail storm hit, the assessor came out quickly and approved repairs to the house even the temporary repairs I made myself. The car was sent to assessment centre, every panel was damaged except one! AAMI arranged for a rental car, the repairs took awhile, and the car looked like new except for a large amount buffing compound and the car was a slightly different colour.
Great customer service
Repair quality not as good as I would have liked

AAMI - resolving problems properly - great to see

We had issues with a policy cancellation despite a number of circumstances and it looked like we were looking at having to renew as if we were brand new customers, not customers of 20 years. However, after getting in touch with AAMI, we worked through the issues and agreed on an outcome that made us feel sticking with AAMI makes sense. What really impressed us was the way they treated our concern with respect and while not raising our hopes early on , showed us they were listening.
That we were always treated with respect. That it means something to be a long term AAMI customer.
That the policy was cancelled in the first place when there were clearly circumstances

Jezza17

Jezza17South-Eastern Region, NSW

Hope I never need it but so far so good.

We transferred our car cover to AAMI because we were dissatisfied with our previous insurer. I have been impressed enough with the service received and the timeliness of response that I have since transferred our house insurance along with other family vehicles. I recently purchased a brand new vehicle and when tempted to switch to a lower quoting company, I contacted AAMI and their representative, Bree
a) explained why the other quote was lower.
b) provided a solution that enabled me to stay with AAMI and save some money.
Her assistance was invaluable and she was the most pleasant person I have had the pleasure of dealing with on the phone for many years.
Saved money, service was friendly, very helpful and precise.

Sadiedaly

SadiedalySydney

Fantastic Customer Service

I just dealt with a fantastic member of the AAMI staff.
In short, I am a past AAMI customer and I have decided to return to AAMI...the assistance I received is the main reason why I've decided to return. The consultant was not only happy and positive, she was also extremely professional and knowledgable too. I have emailed AAMI to let them know about her and to pass on my thanks. I don't think we hear enough about the good service we receive - it's far easier to complain!
The service I received

Mick0303

Mick0303WODONGA

Comprehensive information provided

AAMI and Canberra Automotive Refinishers did a
wonderful repair job on my car recently - thay did all the right things -
kept me in touch with progress; provided all the information I needed; and
returned to me a car in better condition than before my accident. It was very good service indeed.

richard1234

richard1234

Had a claim and no problem at all

Reading the reviews on here would put me off them I must admit, but I had a claim (other person at fault) and the whole process was very stress free for me. The only thing I would say is that they where going to follow me up with a phone call to ensure I was happy with the repair, which did not happen. The repair was good, but little things like rear shattered window glass being still in the car after pick up and overspray in the wheel arches a bit annoying. I had been with Budget Direct and compared to those guys so overall have stayed with them as they seem the best of a bad lot.
Dealing with a major insurer
Repaired vehicle not cleaned properly

Derek20

Derek20Coffs Harbour

Not as good Second time around.

sandra s

sandra sZAGREB

very good but always room for improvement

i asked for information about my car insurance policy , it took two goes to get the actual information. On the second attempt i got all the relavant information. The response times were very quick, and i was pleased with the overall service. I understand we are all human and i dont expect the unexpectible
reliable

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage