How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 1-2 weeks (11)
    • 2-4 weeks (16)
    • 1-2 months (24)
    • 3+ months (43)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (58) · No (40)

TMJ

TMJMelboune

13 Months - 80k lost.

13 months they refused to admit my flooded car couldn't be repaired. They were just forced to scrap the car last week by AFCA. Lookup AFCA Determination 703903. They had the car for 9 of 13 months and I lost my job. These people are sick and twisted, laughing at my distress in call recordings telling me I'm being silly. You cannot trust them to assess your car, treat you like a human, you cannot trust them to update you, you cannot trust they will comply with the Privacy Act, they may conspire with manufacturers to make sure you cannot mount a defence.

Gasoleeni

GasoleeniSouth East Queensland, QLD

10 years customer, but never again.

Been with the company over 10 years, no claims etc , When I was rear ended, I was at fault because I was coming from a merging lane, but apparently the law is wrong.

“Here the blue car must give way to the orange.”

Billc

BillcMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Terrible company

After sixteen years with AAMI insurance and multiple policy's without a single claim, i claimed for a cracked windscreen only to be knocked back and told I would have pay $1050 in excess when it only costs $280 to replace. Very rude people to deal with on the phone, kept on hold for an hour and a half having to listen to music telling me I'm lucky to be with AAMI, I didn't feel very lucky at all, cancelled all policies

David F.

David F.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

con artists

I transferred insurance to another vehicle and they kept charging me for 2 years till I picked it up and wont refund money, it happened to two of my vehicles, 1 years policy will not end automatically

James

JamesIllawarra, NSW

I feel like I am being conned

My windscreen is smashed and needs replacing under the cover I have with AAMI. Their preferred repairer - O'Brian - cannot do it for a month, but I have the option of getting a 'fair and reasonable' priced alternative repair and be reimbursed. I have a quote for $2,300 from a local place, and a written quote for $4,000 from O'Brian.

Despite this info, AAMI will not tell me if they consider $2,300 to be 'fair and reasonable' and reserve the right to not reimburse me in part or in full. This means I either gamble or go without my car for 1 month.

The only reason I can think of that they will not tell me that my local quote is fair and reasonable is that they wish to withhold money from me.

Sue

SueMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Very unhelpful team.

Driftmedia

DriftmediaGippsland, VIC

Simply Terrible

After 15 years of loyalty, I received a renewal which was nearly 20% more than previous year. In addition my AGREED Value was dropped by $7000. A quick ring around found similar insurance from competitors for around $200 less. On calling AAMI, they couldn't have been less helpful..no competitive quote, no justification for reducing an agreed value, no valuing of customer loyalty.
There goes my business with AAMI

Jace

Jace

Worst service ever. First claim after 20 years will be cancelling all policy and moving to a no sun Corp insurer.

Cindy5

Cindy5sydney

steer away from AAMI, they only us their own repairers

I am shocked with the experience I had with AAMI during this car claim:

not being able to take it to my preferred repairer, have to use their repairer
the extensive delay is in acceptable (2 months and no progress)
the lady AAMI operator offered no help, rude and unprofessional, kept on interrupting the conversation and eventually hung up on me

Worst experience

I had a car accident but the one who was faulty have the 3rd party aami insurance but the way aami treat to me is unbelievable, they never spoke to me just come up with a amount and post that to me through mail. I show my disagree but they not bothered that too.
I suggest dont go with aami.

Lana

LanaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Its terrible products, poor customer services, very greedy company

We purchased 5 policies including 2 cars and 3 houses with AAMI for many years without claim. Last year, the car has been took away by theft but I did not receive any money from AAMI. AAMI even took the access but did not attempt to contact us. We took them to the court.

John

JohnGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

No respect for loyalty

After 20 years of loyal patronage with no at fault claims the premium went up by 10% and after receiving a quote from a Competitor that was $400 cheaper I rang aami hoping to stay with them but they wouldn’t even drop their price by $50. I was hoping to stay but their customer service was pathetic.

Eugene

EugeneGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Conaiving & patronizing staff & management

They lied to me about extra loading for monthly payment ,they protend to be nice but they evil company ,I would definitely would not recommend them to my anemies horrible people don't trust they happy commercial

Cory M.

Cory M.Canberra 2600, ACT

Near enough is good enough attitude

Don't waste your money on AAMI

Brigitte

BrigitteSydney Surrounds, NSW

Slack

You took my money and did not even have the decency to send me details of my insurance number etc (anything) from you.

Ghazi

GhaziSydney, NSW

Avoid at all cost. Please read before you consider dealing with aami.

The Truth

The TruthIllawarra, NSW

You don't need to know apparently

Been with AAMI for about 5 years over 2 cars.
Email received 11/06 telling me my policy is cancelled from 10/06. I ring up to find out what is going on and they originally hint I didn't have the funds. I use a credit card to pay each month because I know there is plenty on it. No previous issues with the same card before. So after calling them on that they tell me my bank wasn't allowing them to deduct from the card, so banks fault. I get policy reinstated and use that very same card with no issue at all..... please. I receive 1 email, 0 texts, 0 phone calls and they cancel the policy and only let me know that the day after they cancel it. Could never recommend now and will change provider when CTP due in a few weeks.

Danikaanne95

Danikaanne95Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Aami is slack, 0/10 would recommend!

dave

daveGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Unlucky I'm with AAMI

I had a minor crash in the front, I was told to take it to Capital SMART. They had it for 48 hours. I picked my car up and went home. When I got home I realised my windscreen was cracked. I took it back and they said they dropped the bonnet on it. I noticed the whole front end was out of alignment so I took it to my panel beaters and they told me Capital SMART had glued the radiator support panel back on instead of welding it. The whole front end is a disgusting mess. Unlucky I'm with AAMI.

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage