How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
  • Claim Resolution Time
    • 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No (1)
Mark

MarkGippsland, VIC

Things are changing for the worse at AAMI

Hecticated

HecticatedSydney, NSW

No longer an AAMI customer. Overpaid by $600! What a ripoff.

Having been with AAMI since I started driving - I was quite miffed that they wouldn't match other's prices when cover was identical.

I threatened to cancel - and they didn't budge - so cancel is what I did.

I spent 2 hours researching other companies and finally came through to Youi - who included all extras - comprehensive hire car, agreed value for $600 less!!!

I have to say - AAMI were great when my car got smashed and the claim process is great - but $600!!!

Let's see if Youi live up to my expectations. Couldn't believe the price difference. SHOCKED!

Zed49

Zed49Sydney

JUST LIKE THE REST

wenno

wennoGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Poor customer service

Very rude staff on the phone today. The receptionist was rude and then it got worse when I spoke to a staff member from Car Insurance. I was complaining about the subject of an email I received, "Unpaid Renewal". I explained to her that this was a poorly worded subject because- upon I opening it- I read that the account wasn't due until the end of May! She simply would not agree with me that the subject of the email was in error. I tried to tell her that it's not meant to be paid yet and that the title of the email was misleading for customers. She reckoned that not everybody would interpret it the way I did. I gave up. I've been a customer with AAMI for as long as I remember. It might be time to move on.
ZILCH
Poorly educated staff

fang

fangmelb

Battle to get claim paid

maha

mahaMelbourne

Used to be excellent 100% dodgy now!!! do not insure

Ressler

ResslerPerth, WA

Poor standard of repair and poor communication -WA

george bouzidis

george bouzidisPerth, WA

Vehicle Insurance

AAMI - not good if you live in Perth

My 6 months old car (bought it brand new) was hit from behind by another car. AAMI sent it for repair to one of their associates and it came back to me without complete repair. What else to say, when contacted I got to talk some rude, arrogant person from their claims department who eventually just hung-up the call in the middle of the conversation.

We had good experience with them when we were in Victoria, but they are unable to manage their associates when it comes to WA.
Their funny music - Luckieeeee u r with MAAMI
Some nasty employees in their claims department

Find out how AAMI Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

One for Two "They Cant Be Serious"

Recently experienced situation where car was damaged in a car park, then I inadvertently back into a car all on the same day, AAMI want two excess amounts of $545 each. I'm Rating 1 have probably paid $10k in premiums and their advice "that's the policy" - well how about I take my 4 policies elsewhere thats my policy.

Why 2 excess claims thats simply unreasonable with only your shareholder in mind

graemericardo

graemericardo

Disappointed with AAMI

I had a couple of mishaps with my car my wife scraped the side on carport backing out
i had a msihap with my trailer coming off and damageing the tail gate
i told the truth when i put in the claim but finished up paying two excess amounts had i not been honest i could have said when my trailer came of f i got a shock and sideswiped a tree i complained but to no avail they classed them as seperate claims i was punished for being honest will think carefully next time

It is not moral to be penalised for being honest

Was charged to cancel my insurance

Buyer beware. I had third party fire and theft on my old car then purchased a new car so wanted to cancel that old policy and take up a new comprehensive policy. I had months before my old policy was due to expire but at the time of cancelling it, they said there was a $30 admin fee to cancel it so I wasn't going to get any refund on the old policy. Suffice to say, I will not be taking up my comprehensive policy with them or Suncorp considering Suncorp are affiliated with AAMi.
I never had to claim so can't comment.
Charged me $30 to cancel my policy which just so happened to be around the amount they owed me.

Sam00

Sam00SYDNEY

Poor quality and dispute resolution process

Don't Fight for their customers

Been With them for 2 years, I had a car accident once. Made a claim, Was advised someone will contact me within 2 -3 days. No one called back. Called Them. they said still in progress and after 9 days i called them again. They advised that they decided with other person's insurance that both parties were at fault even though I Provided clear evidence that the other person was at fault.

They don't fight for their Customers. More Expenisve than Other insurance companies.

Tuzzaman

TuzzamanSydney, NSW

On-line cheaper than renewal

I've stopped insuring with AAMI, since I found that the renewal notice I received for each of my cars, was more expensive than doing an on-line quote with AAMI for exactly the same details. I rang AAMI, and they said that couldn't be, but then went through and compared my on-line quote to renewal quote, agreed they were the same in detail, but as the on-line quote was cheaper said I should just renew with that. I suggest everyone carry out this exercise (not only with AAMI). "Valued customer" often means they will keep charging you a higher premium than what you should be paying..
They did give good service when I was with them.
Got the "valued customer" pricing on renewal.

damaged29

damaged29SYDNEY

No fault driver out of pocket

0056YY

0056YYMELBOURNE

Unhelpful - Rude - Incompetent - Slow

Tim01SYDNEY

Terrible Service and even worse repair

Tim01

They are good for a minor job but they don't use repairers capable of doing the larger repair job. They also won't admit when they are in over their head.

Taldree

TaldreeQLD, 4220

Save $150 - check your Car Insurance Renewal Notices

Just received my renewal for AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance. I have been with the company for many years, received good service and trusted them. I was about to pay the annual premium but considered the premium a little high. Just as well I checked with on-line quotes as both the RACQ and NRMA were up to $150 cheaper for exactly the same conditions. Even when I requoted on the AAMI site it was around $60 cheaper. What sought of rip off the customer game is AAMI playing?
Good service
Expensive and sneaky

Bad respose for claims

During my claim process, 1st lady I spoke with mentioned that I am eligible to have full insurance to my hire car as and very thing will be refunded because my car had a full cover on the time of the accident. However few days later received a cheque with less than the total, called accounts and the person "George" was so rude and he said he was 100% sure his colleague didn't say that, as if he was there when the coversation took place. Finally had to make a complaint and after management listened to the 1st conversation, they rang me back and apologized and offered me compensation.
** In an any event, write down the name of the person you are speaking with and the time as they can track your call if needed.

Bad customer service.

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage